Rohr Interview: "Osimhen can become a world-class striker"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rohr Interview: "Osimhen can become a world-class striker"

Post by txj »

Photo: BILD, AFP/Getty Images
02.07.2022 - 2:15 p.m
Of Aline Hager
He knows African football like no other! :D :D

Gernot Rohr (69) has coached the national teams of Gabon, Niger, Burkina Faso and Nigeria in recent years. With the Nigerian national team, he qualified for the 2018 World Cup in Russia and finished third at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.

In an interview with SportBILD, he analyzes Sadio Mané's (30) move to Bayern and talks humorously about Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (33), among other things.

SPORT BILD: As a former Bayern player and expert on African football, how pleased are you that Senegal's superstar Sadio Mané has signed for FCB?

Gernot Rohr (68): Very! A wing pliers with Mané and Kingsley Coman is a great asset to FC Bayern. This constellation would be a big plus for Munich in terms of speed and the attractiveness of the game. If Mané settles in well, it increases the chances that Bayern will be there all the way to the end in the Champions League.

SPORT BILD: What fascinates you most about Mané?

Rohr: Its consistency. From the beginning to the end of the season he has consistently performed for Liverpool FC and Senegal. The top stars often slow down when they come to the national team. That's never the case with him, he always gives his all and is an absolute leader in his team.

SPORT BILD: Will he also become a boss directly at Bayern?

Rohr: Bayern already has so many leaders, Mané has to adapt and settle in first. He is not someone who arrives and wants to give direct orders to the other players. That's not his style. What I really appreciate about him is his modesty. In other African countries, I have seen the stars of the national team drive through cities with a population of over a million people in Ferraris. Mané doesn't show off.

SPORT BILD: You were the national coach of Gabon, Niger, Burkina Faso and Nigeria until the end of last year. Her protégé Victor Osimhen from SSC Napoli stormed onto the wish lists of some top clubs. Proud?

Pipe: Of course. I called up Victor for the national team when I was 18 and everyone was surprised. It wasn't easy for the boy, who had to fight back after a serious injury. He had a difficult time at VfL Wolfsburg (2017 to 2019, ed.) after Klaus Allofs, who discovered him for VfL, was no longer there. Victor fought his way through, he learned that as a little boy.

"Osimhen can become a world-class striker"
SPORT BILD: To what extent?

Rohr: When he was ten years old, he sold water in Nigeria's giant metropolis of Lagos (22 million inhabitants, ed.), wherever there is a traffic jam – in the sweltering heat to make ends meet. This boy knows exactly where he comes from and will never forget it. Victor is also a fighter on the pitch, has great moral and physical qualities. Technically he has improved a lot, recently in Lille and Napoli he showed how dangerous he is.

SPORT BILD: Will he become a world-class striker?

Rohr: If he develops further, he can become one. Victor still needs to improve a few things, like working on his body language. If something doesn't work, he shows it too much on the pitch. But these are small things, he can handle them.

SPORT BILD: Recently there have been rumors about Bayern's alleged interest in Osimhen. Would he fit in Munich?

Rohr: If Bayern let Robert Lewandowski go, Victor would be a good alternative. I think he would prevail in Munich. Since he already has experience in the Bundesliga and speaks a little German, his adjustment period is of course shorter than with other players from abroad.

SPORT BILD: You also promoted an old acquaintance from the Bundesliga as national coach. What experience do you associate with Gabon's top star, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who played for BVB from 2013 to 2018 and now plays for FC Barcelona?

Rohr: We have a very good relationship. As Bundesliga fans know, he is a bit extravagant with his clothes, his glasses and his haircut. An experience makes me smile today...

SPORT BILD: Please tell me.

Rohr: In the quarterfinals of the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon against Mali, we had to go to penalties after extra time in the heat. I've been thinking about my list of shooters. When I announced whose turn it was when, he cut me off and said, "Coach, I want to be last to shoot." Because then he wanted to be celebrated (laughs). Normally the best shooters should go first, but he really wanted to shoot at the end. Unfortunately his plan didn't work out, he missed and we were kicked out. That's a little anecdote that's also funny after so many years.

SPORT BILD: Did he sometimes drive you to despair with his often casual manner?

Rohr: We got along very well. I tried to get a bit of German discipline into his head, like punctuality, for example. It wasn't easy, but he's made great strides in that direction, accepted it. However, you should be careful not to destroy your creativity with too much discipline.

SPORT BILD: Aubameyang recently had trouble at Arsenal, at Barca he has blossomed again since his move in January...

Rohr: His mother is of Spanish origin, he has always dreamed of Spain. I knew he really wanted to go to Barca, couldn't wait to play there. He was at Arsenal for four years and by the end it had rubbed off a bit. Aubameyang needed a new challenge. And it fits.

SPORT BILD: Why?

Rohr: In this huge stadium in Barcelona, ​​the playing surface is very large, Aubameyang can use his speed very well. And he puts his heart into it.

SPORT BILD: Why is it that there are so many African stars in Europe's top leagues?

Rohr: The talented people are getting better and better training, not only in Europe but also in Africa itself. It also has to do with the fact that they can only be transferred to Europe at the age of 18. It is therefore an obligation for Africans to start training in their own country. In the countries where I coached, a lot is done in the academies. Some of them are looked after by big European clubs like Real Madrid or Chelsea FC and guided in the right direction. Bayern Munich is also very active in Africa, organizing the FC Bayern Youth Cup in various countries. I'm happy about this development.

SPORT BILD: And who is the best African you have ever coached?

Rohr: In addition to Aubameyang, Osimhen, Alex Iwobi (Nigeria star of Everton FC, ed.) is also a wonderful footballer. And Villarreal's Nigerian Samuel Chukwueze, who shot Bayern out of the Champions League in the quarter-finals, is going to be a big one. He is a great dribbler with a lot of wit and stands for attractive wing play. If Samuel comes in from the right and pulls in, he's capable of anything.
https://sportbild.bild.de/fussball/inte ... sport.html
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
return2k2
Egg
Egg
Re: Rohr Interview: "Osimhen can become a world-class striker"

Post by return2k2 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

return2k2 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:22 pm
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:19 pm
return2k2 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:22 pm
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp