Nigerian Lower Leagues To Limit Access to ONLY YOUTHS.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigerian Lower Leagues To Limit Access to ONLY YOUTHS.....

Post by Enugu II »

Nigerian League Nigeria National League to implement drastic Age Limit Policy
https://www.footballlive.ng/nigeria-nat ... it-policy/
Nigerian League
Nigeria National League to implement drastic Age Limit Policy
By Editor -July 26, 2022051

The Chief operating Officer of the Nationwide League One Division, Shola Ogunowo has indicated that plans to restructure the second and third divisions of the NLO into a youth League are being discussed.
In a chat with FL, Ogunowo spoke of his the desire to encourage youth football and also tackle the unending saga of age manipulation in the country.

The NLO Chief, speaking on the restructuring, insists that clubs in the second and third tiers – Nigerian League football division two and three nation wide – will only feature players below the age 19.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Nigerian Lower Leagues To Limit Access to ONLY YOUTHS.....

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:34 am
Nigerian League Nigeria National League to implement drastic Age Limit Policy
https://www.footballlive.ng/nigeria-nat ... it-policy/
Nigerian League
Nigeria National League to implement drastic Age Limit Policy
By Editor -July 26, 2022051

The Chief operating Officer of the Nationwide League One Division, Shola Ogunowo has indicated that plans to restructure the second and third divisions of the NLO into a youth League are being discussed.
In a chat with FL, Ogunowo spoke of his the desire to encourage youth football and also tackle the unending saga of age manipulation in the country.

The NLO Chief, speaking on the restructuring, insists that clubs in the second and third tiers – Nigerian League football division two and three nation wide – will only feature players below the age 19.
Strange.
I wonder how this will work to the benefit of anybody.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Good idea if possible
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Purity wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:02 pm Good idea if possible
How do you see it working?
And does this mean that a soon-to-retire professional footballer who is no longer at his best will have no job since the lower leagues will not accommodate him because of age?
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:12 pm
How do you see it working?
And does this mean that a soon-to-retire professional footballer who is no longer at his best will have no job since the lower leagues will not accommodate him because of age?
Exactly! Instead of just adding youth leagues to the ecosystem they want to cripple a significant part of our talent, which will most likely lead to more age fraud.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Expect serious protest against this from Ibadan. This will kick 3SC out of football, pata pata. They cant stay in the NPFL and this will exclude them from the lower league.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Why is this a good idea?

How about late bloomers?

What about people who switched from other sports to football later in their sports career and are actually good at it? You're saying we shouldn't provide them an environment to develop their game?
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

They dhould join an NPFL team.
Orion wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Why is this a good idea?

How about late bloomers?

What about people who switched from other sports to football later in their sports career and are actually good at it? You're saying we shouldn't provide them an environment to develop their game?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Terrible idea. You would be forcing professional clubs to build their businesses solely around youth players. What do you do with the over-19s who don’t make a division 1 squad? What happens when a youth player becomes older than 19?… and what’s wrong with creating a youth league like they do in other countries that have been successful at youth level?… and you wonder why football is in rapid decline in Nigeria when the football authorities keep coming up with these kinds of unhelpful ideas🤔❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Another half brained idea not well thought out!

You are only adding to the age manipulation issue by doing this.
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

Hhmmmnnn very sad commentary I am reading here. All I know is that a coach once said his feeder team players are older than the main team he is prosecuting in the National top tier league. If I speak my mind here regarding this it wont be palatable ...peace4...
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:31 pm Another half brained idea not well thought out!

You are only adding to the age manipulation issue by doing this.
Abeg, tell them.

Did they consider what would happen to the over 19s in the lower leagues? Would they be forcibly retired?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

terrible idea. will just lead to rampant age cheating.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

amafolas wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:24 pm
terrible idea. will just lead to rampant age cheating.
Yeap…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This is great idea. I would rather the lower league is used to develop young talents that can one day contribute to Nigerian football than a league for 39 - 42 years old 3SC player that will never, never, never, .... never, never EVER add one bit of value to Nigeria. Any player that is not a youth and cannot cut it in the NPFL does not need to play football. He should go and learn carpentry.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Ian Wright started playing football at 21. He didn't start playing in the EPL but eventually became one of the best players ever in the EPL by his mid-20s. Without lower leagues enabling him to develop at a later age than most, we would not have had Ian Wright. There are many other players like him.

Nigeria is even more susceptible to late bloomers as most naturally talented kids in Nigeria do not have the enabling and supporting environment that allows them to focus solely on football earlier in life. Many of them are only able to become more fully committed at a later age. This may even explain part of the reason for the rampant age-cheating problem we have. Remove that environment supporting late bloomers, and you'll be decimating our talent pool. I hope some people at the top can see the stupidity of this suggestion, and it never sees the light of day.
1naija wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:56 pm They dhould join an NPFL team.
Why is this a good idea?

How about late bloomers?

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

That's a lie. He may have started taking it seriously at that age, just like many athlete do. Regardless, what has that got to do with Nigerian football leagues?
Orion wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:02 am Ian Wright started playing football at 21. He didn't start playing in the EPL but eventually became one of the best players ever in the EPL by his mid-20s. Without lower leagues enabling him to develop at a later age than most, we would not have had Ian Wright. There are many other players like him.

Nigeria is even more susceptible to late bloomers as most naturally talented kids in Nigeria do not have the enabling and supporting environment that allows them to focus solely on football earlier in life. Many of them are only able to become more fully committed at a later age. This may even explain part of the reason for the rampant age-cheating problem we have. Remove that environment supporting late bloomers, and you'll be decimating our talent pool. I hope some people at the top can see the stupidity of this suggestion, and it never sees the light of day.
Why is this a good idea?

How about late bloomers?

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

He played amateur football before he was 21 but not professionally (i.e., not paid for it). He started his pro football career at 21.

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post where I mentioned Nigerian players specifically.
1naija wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:32 pm That's a lie. He may have started taking it seriously at that age, just like many athlete do. Regardless, what has that got to do with Nigerian football leagues?
Orion wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:02 am Ian Wright started playing football at 21. He didn't start playing in the EPL but eventually became one of the best players ever in the EPL by his mid-20s. Without lower leagues enabling him to develop at a later age than most, we would not have had Ian Wright. There are many other players like him.

Why is this a good idea?

How about late bloomers?

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

1naija wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:25 pm This is great idea. I would rather the lower league is used to develop young talents that can one day contribute to Nigerian football than a league for 39 - 42 years old 3SC player that will never, never, never, .... never, never EVER add one bit of value to Nigeria. Any player that is not a youth and cannot cut it in the NPFL does not need to play football. He should go and learn carpentry.
As you grew older and older, your brain refused to go along for the ride :scared: If you think this is good policy, remember Sunday Izevbighie. If you’ve never heard of him, and I highly doubt that, go do some research. He didn’t play any kind of organized football until his A-Levels at Edo College. There are lots more like him, even today❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:59 pm He played amateur football before he was 21 but not professionally (i.e., not paid for it). He started his pro football career at 21.

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post where I mentioned Nigerian players specifically.
1naija wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:32 pm That's a lie. He may have started taking it seriously at that age, just like many athlete do. Regardless, what has that got to do with Nigerian football leagues?

Why is this a good idea?

How about late bloomers?

Jamie Vardy also had a late, late introduction to the elite level of football and his story is pretty unique.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Vardy
One aspect of Vardy's journey that is unique to others is his long spell in non-League football. Prior to his Premier League debut at the age of 25, he had already played in Levels 8, 7, 6, 5 and 2 of the English football league system. He has credited his late arrival to the Premier League as a key reason to why he is able to maintain longevity in football and still play intensively even into his mid to late 30s stating that "My legs feel great and people say the older you get your pace goes, but it's not affecting that side of things as of yet. Hopefully because I came into the game later, it means I've got longer to go."

Vardy has also stated that his time in non-League has shaped his rough and physical playing style stating that "When I signed for Stocksbridge I was only 17, getting kicked left, right, and centre by fully-grown blokes. That toughens you up."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I believe most of the discussants here may not be aware of the reason why this strategy may have come about. First how many here realize that the league in question does not include the 22 at NPFL level and 46 clubs at the next level? Essentially what is in question is the third tier league in NIGERIA!!! These are clubs that theoretically rank #69th or higher in Nigeria!!

At the moment, Nigeria has little access to its great youth talent. In fact, most of these youth players only become known to Nigerian authorities when they leave the country. The reason is that there is largely an absence of significant youth competition in Nigeria. Right now youth talent is discovered and mined via trials organized by scouts working for foreign clubs in Nigeria. NPFL and other pro clubs pay little attention to this talent pool and the players do not want to go to NPFL or other pro clubs because their ultimate target is Europe. If you go to NPFL or to another Nigerian pro club, European clubs will view the player as a non-uouth who must be able to make the first team in Europe or forget it. But if the player comes from an academy he is given ample opportunity to develop. You can see why Nigerian players will prefer the latter rather than the former route.

What this proposal is designed to do is present opportunities for Nigerian authorities to easily access Nigerian youth players for the national teams. They tried NPFL youth competitions at u15 and u17 and clubs have shown little interest and basically have quickly reached agreement with academies to present temporary teams at these competitions on ad hoc basis. This new plan will stop that ad hocism. It will create a true youth structure for Nigeria that does not currently exist. The current youth exposure to football is designed to serve scouts of European clubs but this designed to may them easily accessible to Nigerian national teams beyond the solitary NFF u15 and u17 development structure that Lulu developed tears ago.

Now will this stop late developers like examples put forward by some CE? NO. Take the Izevbigie example. Here is the thing, the answer is nope. The plan has not stated that youths will be banned from NPFL or other pro clubs as far as I know. Izevbigie was playing already for Bendel insurance (Benin Vipers) as a student and late developer. It didn't stop him as late developer. If a player wants to do so now, it can be done. However, if Izevbigie was born today he would not have most likely played in Nigeria because it makes no sense with today's structure. He would go from school to some club academy in Europe. That is the difference. Why waste time today at an NPFL or pro club? It will do little getting you to the top in Europe. Best route to Europe is not and has not been for long via NPFL or a Nigerian pro club.

But if we are concerned about late developers who cannot make a squad of 30 players in each of a 22- team NPFL and the 46 other pro clubs at the next level, then perhaps the player may go to the amateur leagues first and be recruited to NPFL or other pro clubs from there if they develop or pro clubs can develop reserve teams as well. Right now NPFL clubs and the other pro clubs reserve roster spaces for political players to earn wages. They can use some of those spaces as well.

The real concern should not come from those who mean well for Nigerian football. They most likely will come now or in the future from those feeding fat via mushroom one room academies all over the country because their bread line faces significan threat. This a market economy shake out, at least to an extent.

To be clear, what I thought should be a significant concern has not even be addressed. If it is restricted only to youth, how would this affect the promotion rule. If a club goes to a higher league that has adult players what happens? That is a significant issue not addressed at all here. Will these leagues use the USA system that abhors promotion/relegation? To be clear, I understand that automatic promotion does not currently exist because of other and additional NFF requirements to play at the top levels. The question is what gives because this adds another complication.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:50 pm I believe most of the discussants here may not be aware of the reason why this strategy may have come about. First how many here realize that the league in question does not include the 22 at NPFL level and 46 clubs at the next level? Essentially what is in question is the third tier league in NIGERIA!!! These are clubs that theoretically rank #69th or higher in Nigeria!!

At the moment, Nigeria has little access to its great youth talent. In fact, most of these youth players only become known to Nigerian authorities when they leave the country. The reason is that there is largely an absence of significant youth competition in Nigeria. Right now youth talent is discovered and mined via trials organized by scouts working for foreign clubs in Nigeria. NPFL and other pro clubs pay little attention to this talent pool and the players do not want to go to NPFL or other pro clubs because their ultimate target is Europe. If you go to NPFL or to another Nigerian pro club, European clubs will view the player as a non-uouth who must be able to make the first team in Europe or forget it. But if the player comes from an academy he is given ample opportunity to develop. You can see why Nigerian players will prefer the latter rather than the former route.

What this proposal is designed to do is present opportunities for Nigerian authorities to easily access Nigerian youth players for the national teams. They tried NPFL youth competitions at u15 and u17 and clubs have shown little interest and basically have quickly reached agreement with academies to present temporary teams at these competitions on ad hoc basis. This new plan will stop that ad hocism. It will create a true youth structure for Nigeria that does not currently exist. The current youth exposure to football is designed to serve scouts of European clubs but this designed to may them easily accessible to Nigerian national teams beyond the solitary NFF u15 and u17 development structure that Lulu developed tears ago.

Now will this stop late developers like examples put forward by some CE? NO. Take the Izevbigie example. Here is the thing, the answer is nope. The plan has not stated that youths will be banned from NPFL or other pro clubs as far as I know. Izevbigie was playing already for Bendel insurance (Benin Vipers) as a student and late developer. It didn't stop him as late developer. If a player wants to do so now, it can be done. However, if Izevbigie was born today he would not have most likely played in Nigeria because it makes no sense with today's structure. He would go from school to some club academy in Europe. That is the difference. Why waste time today at an NPFL or pro club? It will do little getting you to the top in Europe. Best route to Europe is not and has not been for long via NPFL or a Nigerian pro club.

But if we are concerned about late developers who cannot make a squad of 30 players in each of a 22- team NPFL and the 46 other pro clubs at the next level, then perhaps the player may go to the amateur leagues first and be recruited to NPFL or other pro clubs from there if they develop or pro clubs can develop reserve teams as well. Right now NPFL clubs and the other pro clubs reserve roster spaces for political players to earn wages. They can use some of those spaces as well.

The real concern should not come from those who mean well for Nigerian football. They most likely will come now or in the future from those feeding fat via mushroom one room academies all over the country because their bread line faces significan threat. This a market economy shake out, at least to an extent.

To be clear, what I thought should be a significant concern has not even be addressed. If it is restricted only to youth, how would this affect the promotion rule. If a club goes to a higher league that has adult players what happens? That is a significant issue not addressed at all here. Will these leagues use the USA system that abhors promotion/relegation? To be clear, I understand that automatic promotion does not currently exist because of other and additional NFF requirements to play at the top levels. The question is what gives because this adds another complication.
EII you've missed the biggest problem with this idea which is that it will further harm the overall quality of the domestic scene in the long run by closing the doors on a significant amount of its talent pool at "that level". As the lower leagues are as important as the top leagues in the grand scheme of things especially with the amount of active footballers we have. The most logical way to go about it is to simply introduce a youth league (U16/17/18/19) for these teams where it will be clear who the special talents are and would make the step up to playing senior ball. Even these "youth" players they think they're helping will be the most negatively affected by this
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sunset wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:14 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:50 pm I believe most of the discussants here may not be aware of the reason why this strategy may have come about. First how many here realize that the league in question does not include the 22 at NPFL level and 46 clubs at the next level? Essentially what is in question is the third tier league in NIGERIA!!! These are clubs that theoretically rank #69th or higher in Nigeria!!

EII you've missed the biggest problem with this idea which is that it will further harm the overall quality of the domestic scene in the long run by closing the doors on a significant amount of its talent pool at "that level". As the lower leagues are as important as the top leagues in the grand scheme of things especially with the amount of active footballers we have. The most logical way to go about it is to simply introduce a youth league (U16/17/18/19) for these teams where it will be clear who the special talents are and would make the step up to playing senior ball. Even these "youth" players they think they're helping will be the most negatively affected by this
Sunset

This is actually the youth league that you are talking about!!! For years that have attempted to introduce one using the NPFL clubs but as I noted the NPFL clubs have not considered it important. And note that there are over 60+ professional adult clubs unaffected by this proposal.

This, ultimately, is a roundabout away of regulating youth football in Nigeria that many have called for over several decades. The current system is simply too chaotic, allowing fly by night actors to dominate the scene.