Coach Musa

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Coach Musa

Post by 1naija »

No one has given him credit for the win. We (jette in particular) were quick to criticize him for his pre-tournament interview. He dominated and defeated a team filled with European clubs professionals despite not given the opportunity to play any friendly before the tournament.

We need to start giving credit where one is due!!!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Coach Musa

Post by wanaj0 »

1naija wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:06 am No one has given him credit for the win. We (jette in particular) were quick to criticize him for his pre-tournament interview. He dominated and defeated a team filled with European clubs professionals despite not given the opportunity to play any friendly before the tournament.

Exactly :clap: :thumb: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

wanaj0 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:25 am
1naija wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:06 am No one has given him credit for the win. We (jette in particular) were quick to criticize him for his pre-tournament interview. He dominated and defeated a team filled with European clubs professionals despite not given the opportunity to play any friendly before the tournament.

I must say, I had my reservations when he was reappointed as the last U20 squad he assembled (in 2018) was one of the worst and barely made the quarterfinal, imagine they struggled against Haiti and needed Chiamaka's heroics to get them across the line. Also his failure to guide the Super Falcons past Ivory Coast in the last Olympic qualifiers where we were eliminated on away goals in the 2nd round. So to say the least I wasn't hopeful. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by this current U20 he built. After just about 10 mins of watching, you could clearly see this team is better coached than the 2018 team but by the same person. He must have grown as a coach as from what I have seen this might be the best U20 female squad we have ever presented. Only the goal keeping area gives me worries here.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pm

I must say, I had my reservations when he was reappointed as the last U20 squad he assembled (in 2018) was one of the worst and barely made the quarterfinal, imagine they struggled against Haiti and needed Chiamaka's heroics to get them across the line. Also his failure to guide the Super Falcons past Ivory Coast in the last Olympic qualifiers where we were eliminated on away goals in the 2nd round. So to say the least I wasn't hopeful. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by this current U20 he built. After just about 10 mins of watching, you could clearly see this team is better coached than the 2018 team but by the same person. He must have grown as a coach as from what I have seen this might be the best U20 female squad we have ever presented. Only the goal keeping area gives me worries here.
But did he deserve to be reappointed after the failures you listed?

Well done to him and the players. Let’s hope they go far in the tournament.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Respect :thumbs: :thumb:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:29 pm

I think there’s a technical committee that’s responsible for making recommendations to hire or not hire. I have to believe they are somewhat more competent than CE armchair analysts🤔❗️

Cheers.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pm I must say, I had my reservations when he was reappointed as the last U20 squad he assembled (in 2018) was one of the worst and barely made the quarterfinal, imagine they struggled against Haiti and needed Chiamaka's heroics to get them across the line. Also his failure to guide the Super Falcons past Ivory Coast in the last Olympic qualifiers where we were eliminated on away goals in the 2nd round. So to say the least I wasn't hopeful. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by this current U20 he built. After just about 10 mins of watching, you could clearly see this team is better coached than the 2018 team but by the same person. He must have grown as a coach as from what I have seen this might be the best U20 female squad we have ever presented. Only the goal keeping area gives me worries here.

CONTEXT is always important when discussing these matters...

The "failure" against CIV in the Olympic Games qualifiers arose when the Super Falcons coach Tom Dennerby BELATEDLY DECLINED to manage the team for the CIV games (rightfully so IMHO) because the NFF had suspended (and excluded from being called up) several members of the team, including then-skipper Desire Oparanozie, on account of their protest at the France 2019 WWC over the failure by the NFF to pay their camping allowances and match bonuses (despite the NFF collecting millions of dollars from FIFA as is given to all of the WC participating teams). Bears noting btw that some CEs (Otitokoro, notably) actually SUPPORTED the NFF's vindictive retributions against the players. Nonetheless, with less than 2 weeks to the CIV game, Danjuma was appointed "interim coach" and asked to lead a team he had no relationship with.

Nigerians really have to get out of this deluded mindset that all we need is to gather a random assemblage of "good" players to win games and do well in competitions, when the reality is that failing to prepare is preparation for failure! Even with the current U20 WC, we have seen the same lack of preparations (as the NFF seemed to be pre-occupied elsewhere, with only the Lord knows what), leaving the players in camp reportedly trekking to practices among other reports. How many pre-WC friendlies did this current team play? Even our neighbors Ghana had a training camp in France and played against France and clubs. But I bet if this Falconets team ends up doing very well in this tournament, the "lesson" the usual Nigerian mentality will derive is that good preparations are unnecessary (rather than the team could have even been much better).
Last edited by Gotti on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pmI must say, I had my reservations when he was reappointed as the last U20 squad he assembled (in 2018) was one of the worst and barely made the quarterfinal, imagine they struggled against Haiti and needed Chiamaka's heroics to get them across the line. Also his failure to guide the Super Falcons past Ivory Coast in the last Olympic qualifiers where we were eliminated on away goals in the 2nd round. So to say the least I wasn't hopeful. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by this current U20 he built. After just about 10 mins of watching, you could clearly see this team is better coached than the 2018 team but by the same person. He must have grown as a coach as from what I have seen this might be the best U20 female squad we have ever presented. Only the goal keeping area gives me worries here.
The same Haiti team barely lost 2-3 to powerhouse Germany (and also barely 1-2 to a good China team)...
You do not play against "names" (sure some French folks are scandalized their team lost to "Nigeria"), but 11 players.

Anyway, funny that we "barely made the quarterfinals" in 2018...
Considering several good teams like the US, Brazil, Mexico, China, and our neighbors Ghana did not.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:48 pm

I think there’s a technical committee that’s responsible for making recommendations to hire or not hire. I have to believe they are somewhat more competent than CE armchair analysts🤔❗️

Cheers.
And this is supposed to be some breaking revelation? You didn’t see the question mark at the end of my statement? Do you think before you type?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Even if your assertions and assumptions have any validity, 2018 was a long football-time ago. This is a brand new squad. If there are any holdovers from that team, they are obviously more experienced now than they were four years ago. You have to allow for the possibility that the present squad may be more talented, more experienced and more responsive to coaching. In any case, my observations are that this team is very talented and very well coached❗️

Cheers.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pmI must say, I had my reservations when he was reappointed as the last U20 squad he assembled (in 2018) was one of the worst and barely made the quarterfinal, imagine they struggled against Haiti and needed Chiamaka's heroics to get them across the line. Also his failure to guide the Super Falcons past Ivory Coast in the last Olympic qualifiers where we were eliminated on away goals in the 2nd round. So to say the least I wasn't hopeful. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by this current U20 he built. After just about 10 mins of watching, you could clearly see this team is better coached than the 2018 team but by the same person. He must have grown as a coach as from what I have seen this might be the best U20 female squad we have ever presented. Only the goal keeping area gives me worries here.
Btw, the likes of Rasheedat Ajibade, Chiamaka Nnadozie, Christy Uchiebe, Gift Monday, Peace Efih, Anam Imo, Glory Ogbonna (and if it wasn't for serious injury setback, Chidimna Okeke) fed into the Super Falcons talent pipeline would seriously beg to differ that "the last U20 squad he assembled (in 2018) was one of the worst".
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Speaking further of FAILING TO PREPARE...

The U17 Flamingos have the female U17 WC coming up in October. Has there been any preparations whatsoever? are the players in camp? Have players even been called up yet? Will Harmony Achifula be among players called-up? Have any pre-WC friendlies been lined up for the team? Are there any plans for a training camp or tour? Of course NOT!

NONE of the foregoing has even remotely been put in motion LESS than 8 weeks to the start of the competition. Instead, what is most likely to happen is that sometime in September (or just prior), the players would be randomly assembled in Abuja from around the country, train and play against 1 or 2 male youth teams, and then head off to the WC.

If the team (the Good Lord forbid) does less than spectacularly at the WC, people in Nigeria and on CE will write all manner of theses and dissertations on the coaches. One cannot outrun one's shadow. We Nigerians are simply who we are!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Gotti wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:03 pm
Btw, the likes of Rasheedat Ajibade, Chiamaka Nnadozie, Christy Uchiebe, Gift Monday, Peace Efih, Anam Imo, Glory Ogbonna (and if it wasn't for serious injury setback, Chidimna Okeke) fed into the Super Falcons talent pipeline would seriously beg to differ that "the last U20 squad he assembled (in 2018) was one of the worst".
In terms of teamplay & performance at the U20 World Cup, they were clearly the worst in the last 10 years. The 2016 team (which you could argue as bad also) started badly losing 6-0 to Japan but won the remaining 2 games 2-1 against Spain & 3-1 against Canada. They were eliminated on goal difference. The 2018 team was outplayed in every single match they played, even against Haiti. This is the tournament Nnadozie made her name as she won player of the match against both Tahiti & China. Our play was so poor. In the last group game against China we needed a draw to qualify and only managed to equalise in the last minute with our only shot on target in the whole game by Ajibade. In the quarters we were thoroughly outplayed by Spain. We were lucky the scoreline ended 2-1 as there was no goal -line technology as there was a clear goal that cross the line earlier was missed plus Nnadozie pulling off save after save. The only positives were the emergence of Ajibade, Okeke, Nnadozie, Efih etc, as you have mentioned. That a team played poorly doesn't mean you can't find good players individually. Contrast to now, it took just 10 mins to realise that France are in a game. I put it to Coach Musa, improving his coaching skills and philosophy because the 2018 still had some very good talent.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:02 pm

Even if your assertions and assumptions have any validity, 2018 was a long football-time ago. This is a brand new squad. If there are any holdovers from that team, they are obviously more experienced now than they were four years ago. You have to allow for the possibility that the present squad may be more talented, more experienced and more responsive to coaching. In any case, my observations are that this team is very talented and very well coached❗️

Cheers.
The fact remains whatever he's done with this team is a clear night & day compared how he handled the 2018 squad. It goes to show that we shouldn't necessarily give up on coaches after one bad tournament/season. Lesson learnt.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Coach Danjuma deserves accolades.

Well done!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Adisboy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:54 pmIn terms of teamplay & performance at the U20 World Cup, they were clearly the worst in the last 10 years. The 2016 team (which you could argue as bad also) started badly losing 6-0 to Japan but won the remaining 2 games 2-1 against Spain & 3-1 against Canada. They were eliminated on goal difference. The 2018 team was outplayed in every single match they played, even against Haiti. This is the tournament Nnadozie made her name as she won player of the match against both Tahiti & China. Our play was so poor. In the last group game against China we needed a draw to qualify and only managed to equalise in the last minute with our only shot on target in the whole game by Ajibade. In the quarters we were thoroughly outplayed by Spain. We were lucky the scoreline ended 2-1 as there was no goal -line technology as there was a clear goal that cross the line earlier was missed plus Nnadozie pulling off save after save. The only positives were the emergence of Ajibade, Okeke, Nnadozie, Efih etc, as you have mentioned. That a team played poorly doesn't mean you can't find good players individually. Contrast to now, it took just 10 mins to realise that France are in a game. I put it to Coach Musa, improving his coaching skills and philosophy because the 2018 still had some very good talent.
You said the squad was one of the worst "assembled", now you are changing the tune to "performance" - as if RESULTS are not one measure of performance. Perhaps they did not "drimble" several opponents at a go and "drink garri" with the opposition's defense (as so many Nigerians love in the blind fixation of shadows over substance), but at the end of the day they did BETTER in the tournament than teams like the US, Brazil, Mexico, China (that supposedly "outplayed" them), etc.

Btw, the same "even Haiti" outshot Germany 11 to 7 (6 on target) and China 17 to 10, in their respective narrow loss to each. The "name" of the team or country line up across from you is meaningless. It's the 11 players on the field that matters.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

One naira Abeg na who be Coach Musa ? .
Chris Danjuma is our current U20 Coach
Last edited by jette1 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:29 pm

One naira Abeg na who be Coach Musa ?
Danjuma is our current U20 Coach
Full name: Christopher Danjuma Musa
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Full version of Google never reach uncle jette planet yet. :D
Gotti wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:31 pm

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

1naija wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:56 pm Full version of Google never reach uncle jette planet yet. :D
Gotti wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:31 pm

Oh! ok I get you! So the only reason you knew him was google not that you actually follow the team
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Gotti wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:36 am
Adisboy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:54 pmIn terms of teamplay & performance at the U20 World Cup, they were clearly the worst in the last 10 years. The 2016 team (which you could argue as bad also) started badly losing 6-0 to Japan but won the remaining 2 games 2-1 against Spain & 3-1 against Canada. They were eliminated on goal difference. The 2018 team was outplayed in every single match they played, even against Haiti. This is the tournament Nnadozie made her name as she won player of the match against both Tahiti & China. Our play was so poor. In the last group game against China we needed a draw to qualify and only managed to equalise in the last minute with our only shot on target in the whole game by Ajibade. In the quarters we were thoroughly outplayed by Spain. We were lucky the scoreline ended 2-1 as there was no goal -line technology as there was a clear goal that cross the line earlier was missed plus Nnadozie pulling off save after save. The only positives were the emergence of Ajibade, Okeke, Nnadozie, Efih etc, as you have mentioned. That a team played poorly doesn't mean you can't find good players individually. Contrast to now, it took just 10 mins to realise that France are in a game. I put it to Coach Musa, improving his coaching skills and philosophy because the 2018 still had some very good talent.
You said the squad was one of the worst "assembled", now you are changing the tune to "performance" - as if RESULTS are not one measure of performance. Perhaps they did not "drimble" several opponents at a go and "drink garri" with the opposition's defense (as so many Nigerians love in the blind fixation of shadows over substance), but at the end of the day they did BETTER in the tournament than teams like the US, Brazil, Mexico, China (that supposedly "outplayed" them), etc.

Btw, the same "even Haiti" outshot Germany 11 to 7 (6 on target) and China 17 to 10, in their respective narrow loss to each. The "name" of the team or country line up across from you is meaningless. It's the 11 players on the field that matters.
You've answered the question, Musa assembled the 2018 team and based on performance (I don't know how else you measure it) compared to other Falconet squads over the past decade were the WORST!! . I didn't compare them to Germany & China , I compared them to their previous and current squads, so it seems you are missing the point. The team's play was an eyesore, they made turnovers for fun and had to depend on the defense & goal keeper to get by in every game. If you are talking about the individual development trajectory of the players in that squad then that is a totally different conversation. The current Ajibade, Uchiebe & Nnadozie levels are so far higher than they were in 2018.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Adisboy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:01 pmYou've answered the question, Musa assembled the 2018 team and based on performance (I don't know how else you measure it) compared to other Falconet squads over the past decade were the WORST!! . I didn't compare them to Germany & China , I compared them to their previous and current squads, so it seems you are missing the point. The team's play was an eyesore, they made turnovers for fun and had to depend on the defense & goal keeper to get by in every game. If you are talking about the individual development trajectory of the players in that squad then that is a totally different conversation. The current Ajibade, Uchiebe & Nnadozie levels are so far higher than they were in 2018.
Apparently, only on CE is it a huge revelation that youth players are at a higher level FOUR YEARS LATER…. :lol:
Nonetheless, Nnadozie was our starter and one of our BEST players at the 2019 WC barely a year after the 2018 U20 WC…

I realize so many Nigerians are weaned on a Rankadede and Dobale culture…
But football talent and its development is NOT subject to turn-by-turn or “respect your elders” manifestation.

Meanwhile, unsure what you are babbling on about NEBULOUS terms like “performance” (whatever that means in a culture that often largely elevates and worships “drimblin” and “drinking-garri” over results), but while folks are free to piddle around with SUBJECTIVE opinions and PERSONAL tastes, the sanctity of OBJECTIVE facts such as results remain inviolable. Accordingly, based on the objective FACT that the 2018 Falconets matched at least 3 other Falconets teams that similarly lost in the quarterfinals and BETTERED the records of the 2002 and 2004 teams (that finished dead last and second-to-last in their respective groups), it’s not even remotely close to drivel on about the 2018 team being “the worst” - whether based the squad (players) “assembled” or, as you sort to change the criteria mid-stream “performance” (as in results-based)!

Abegi, when you find yourself in a poorly-dug polemic hole, quit digging!!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL