Jamilu Collins: Cardiff City defender to miss rest of season with knee injury

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Jamilu Collins: Cardiff City defender to miss rest of season with knee injury

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62584757

Cardiff City have been dealt a huge blow with defender Jamilu Collins ruled out for the rest of the season.

The Nigerian international suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury early in Wednesday's goalless draw at West Bromwich Albion.

The 28-year-old left-back will have surgery in the next few weeks.

"We won't see him again until next season. It is gutting for the lad, really gutting," said Cardiff manager Steve Morison.

"We are all here for him. We are going to make the next year the best it can possibly be for him.

"It's the worst-case scenario. The plan will be to get him back for pre-season next year. The one thing we do know when he comes back for pre-season, we will have one hell of a left-back.

"That is something everyone can look forward to next season."

Morison has described Collins as the "best left-back" in the Championship having recruited him from Bundesliga 2 side Paderborn during the summer.

Collins played for his country in the Africa Cup of Nations in January, where his team-mates included Alex Iwobe and Kelechi Iheanacho.

Morison said: "On a plus point for him, his family has just moved over and so he has his family with him.

"The lads will get around him. He will be around - I'm sure you'll see his smiling face around the place. We have something extra to fight for now on a matchday.

"He is a great kid who comes in with a smile on his face every day. He loved working every day with us and we loved working with him. He is someone you want around. He is infectious.

"As soon as he has his operation and he's starting to be a bit more mobile, he will be around the lads."

Republic of Ireland Under-21 defender Joel Bagan is set to step in for Collins in Sunday's Severnside Championship derby at Bristol City.

It will be Bagan's first league appearance this season and Morison said: "He has not had much of a choice.

"JC (Collins) has been outstanding. You have to wait for your opportunity and now he has to be ready to step up in a huge game on Sunday.

"I think it would have been wrong for us to have sat here this season and said we were going to rely on Joel to play left-back all season. You have to have a squad for situations like this."

Cardiff will be boosted at Ashton Gate by the return of Cedric Kipre, the West Bromwich Albion loanee who was ineligible to face his parent club in midweek.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Jamilu Collins: Cardiff City defender to miss rest of season with knee injury

Post by Enugu II »

Wow!! Really sad news for him. I was looking forward to seeing him make a valiant come back to the NT. Did not realize the injury was this serious.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Jamilu Collins: Cardiff City defender to miss rest of season with knee injury

Post by Tobi17 »

So sad, I wish him quick recovery
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Had no idea it was this kind of injury.
Hope he quickly recovers back to full fitness.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Oh no. And the lad has been to putting in good performances since his arrival. I pray for perfect healing and quick recovery.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:31 pm Wow!! Really sad news for him. I was looking forward to seeing him make a valiant come back to the NT. Did not realize the injury was this serious.
I think that his value to the Super Eagles is underrated by many. Hopefully, he makes a full recovery. It had been an excellent start to the season for him at Cardiff.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

A real shame. He started the season with a bang.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.