BREAKING: SE to Confront ALGERIA in Intl Friendly

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: BREAKING: SE to Confront ALGERIA in Intl Friendly

Post by Orion »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:31 pm
Orion wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:13 pm
Odas wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:13 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:53 pm this is going to be a very spicy encounter , I am excited about this match up
Personally, the match makes no difference. In reality, of what value is the game, by the way?
We need to find a goalkeeper and midfielders. The likes of Ndidi and Etebo are done. We should be looking for their replacements now. Okoye and Uzoho are 2nd choice keepers at best.
Ndidi isn't done, he's just not the indispensable player he used to be, Onyedika is the future of that midfield right now...Iwobi is easily our maestro, he has finally come of age to lead from that midfield
You're still talking about Iwobi? :rotf:

Those guys peaked around 2018/2019. They've been on the downslide ever since, leading to failure to qualify for the World Cup and a disastrous 2021 AFCON. Anyone who wants to pretend the problem was only poor coaching is very delusional. Ndidi played in some of those games we struggled. He is well past his best and always injured anyway.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Orion wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:31 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:53 pm this is going to be a very spicy encounter , I am excited about this match up
Personally, the match makes no difference. In reality, of what value is the game, by the way?
We need to find a goalkeeper and midfielders. The likes of Ndidi and Etebo are done. We should be looking for their replacements now. Okoye and Uzoho are 2nd choice keepers at best.
Ndidi isn't done, he's just not the indispensable player he used to be, Onyedika is the future of that midfield right now...Iwobi is easily our maestro, he has finally come of age to lead from that midfield

Those guys peaked around 2018/2019. They've been on the downslide ever since, leading to failure to qualify for the World Cup and a disastrous 2021 AFCON. Anyone who wants to pretend the problem was only poor coaching is very delusional. Ndidi played in some of those games we struggled. He is well past his best and always injured anyway.
Iwobi is arguably in his prime right now, he has hit a trajectory where he's playing his best football right now and he remains a key player for us...we missed him badly against Ghana...what can't be argued is our coaching dilemma.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:22 pm

Iwobi is arguably in his prime right now, he has hit a trajectory where he's playing his best football right now and he remains a key player for us...we missed him badly against Ghana...what can't be argued is our coaching dilemma.
Wasn't he at the AFCON? Didn't he play against Cape Verde in Lagos? If he couldn't do anything against Cape Verde what could he do against a better team Ghana? Those guys are past their best. I just hope we have players coming through to replace them.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Orion wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:29 am
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:22 pm

Wasn't he at the AFCON? Didn't he play against Cape Verde in Lagos? If he couldn't do anything against Cape Verde what could he do against a better team Ghana? Those guys are past their best. I just hope we have players coming through to replace them.
Knee jerk reaction, Iwobi was decent in those games, it's not his fault that Rohr was too conservative and cowardly in his tactical approach, even Osimhen looked very limited against Cape Verde as well so should we write him off based on your logic? Iwobi has adapted very well to a new role under Lampard in a more withdrawn but creative role and we can see how he is getting his plaudits as one of the most improved players in the league...even in those games under Peseiro he was outstanding. The current Nigerian midfield going forward should be built around Iwobi, Aribo, Onyedika, Yusuf and any other good prospects we might get on board, I rate Daniel Daga from the U20 wafu team as one player to watch out for.