USA vs Nigeria Tuesday ESPN2 - 2:1

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: USA vs Nigeria Tuesday ESPN2 - 2:1

Post by jette1 »

Odas wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:01 am Okaaaaay! Game over. We lost, but did much better today.
We didn’t lose; it’s a tie. Given how well we managed the game today and outplayed them and dash them a goal let’s just call it a tie
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Bell wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:04 am NOW, ASSESSING THIS US SIDE...

...not one who bets, but, if forced to, I might put my money on England.
Bell
I agree, England beats usa on today's performance.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

We gave them issues and found some things to build on. Playing Toni Payne and Alozie further forward was good today. Well taken goal by Uchenna
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:02 am So how would you rate this team overall? I think the only excuse we have is that we are missing a few starters, otherwise I don't think we demonstrated that we can hang with the big dogs come the world cup. We played better in this game, but Randy did not show he can compete with other top coaches.
Maybe you are correct, but note in any match, anything can happen. My only problem is many of the referees are biased against African teams, so in many occasions, we are playing against our opponents and the referees as well, which swings the pendulum against us - almost - all the time.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:06 am
Odas wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:01 am Okaaaaay! Game over. We lost, but did much better today.
We didn’t lose; it’s a tie. Given how well we managed the game today and outplayed them and dash them a goal let’s just call it a tie
I agree, it's a tie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

1naija wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:02 am So how would you rate this team overall? I think the only excuse we have is that we are missing a few starters, otherwise I don't think we demonstrated that we can hang with the big dogs come the world cup. We played better in this game, but Randy did not show he can compete with other top coaches.
WITH THIS PLAY, AND WITH MISSING PLAYERS...

...this team gets into the second tier of women's world soccer and could cause upsets among the top tier teams. A lot of the things I'd criticized them over seemingly have been eliminated. They didn't play in fear or timidly. From the opening whistle, they took the fight to the US acting like they truly believed and playing with confidence. The GK did her large part also. As for the coach, I'm one who believes that a coach is made largely by his players. Not endorsing or bashing him, but who knows how good the Nigerian coach would perform if he played under more enabling conditions.
Bell
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Very true, naija is not ready for the big guns. Decisions making, one on one dribbles, strength, speed, positional awareness, pass and move, pass completion we were average at best.
Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: USA vs Nigeria Tuesday ESPN2 - 1:0 HT

Post by Bell »

davidbam14 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:05 am Nigeria still has a long way to go, the Americans were stronger and faster.
FOR SURE, BUT...

...we are comparing this performance against previous ones. Also, I like the fact that they didn't act intimidated. Also, they were the visiting teams with some of them traveling thousands of miles to get there. Was the US better? Yes. Were they stronger and faster? I doubt it.
Bell
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Bell wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:12 am
WITH THIS PLAY, AND WITH MISSING PLAYERS...

...this team gets into the second tier of women's world soccer and could cause upsets among the top tier teams. A lot of the things I'd criticized them over seemingly have been eliminated. They didn't play in fear or timidly. From the opening whistle, they took the fight to the US acting like they truly believed and playing with confidence. The GK did her large part also. As for the coach, I'm one who believes that a coach is made largely by his players. Not endorsing or bashing him, but who knows how good the Nigerian coach would perform if he played under more enabling conditions.
Bell
I saw it, too! We were not afraid of the US team at all, and we played with confidence. Missing some of our players or not, I think we played well
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

I’m proud of the team for putting on good showing today. Here are the negatives:

1) The two Payne sisters are selfish players. Especially the midfielder, a simple pass is not in her dictionary. Always overdoing everything.

2) Alozie is full of energy but brainless.

3) Our keeper doesn’t have offensive capabilities at all. Also, she’s only comfortable kicking the ball out from the ground.

4) The weight of the captain's band affected Ajibade’s game.

5) Demehin is the biggest brain fart Falcon player ever.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Shortsighted commentaries all over the place; when I naira is an expert commentator you know say things are bad. Swap this team to USA and the USA team to Nigeria and Nigeria will wallop them silly.
You bring a demoralized team all the way across the Atlantic to play a us team that just won a collective bargaining and feeling on top of the world and we still outplayed despite our shortcomings
Last edited by jette1 on Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Jedi Jedi, please can you provide a match report, as I didnt watch the match. Thanks!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

iworo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:18 am I’m proud of the team for putting on good showing today. Here are the negatives:

1) The two Payne sisters are selfish players. Especially the midfielder, a simple pass is not in her dictionary. Always overdoing everything.

3) Our keeper doesn’t have offensive capabilities at all. Also, she’s only comfortable kicking the ball out from the ground.

I WOULDN'T BE THAT HARSH

Keep in mind, they were trying their best.
Bell
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:27 am Jedi Jedi, please can you provide a match report, as I didnt watch the match. Thanks!
Danfo the difference in a ref sustained with banana supply to the us and one who doesn’t was as clear as night and day today

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:25 am Shortsighted commentaries all over the place; when I naira is an expert commentator you know say things are bad. Swap this team to USA and the USA team to Nigeria and Nigeria will wallop them silly.
You bring a demoralized team all the way across the Atlantic to play a us team that just won a collective bargaining and feeling on top of the world and we still outplayed despite our shortcomings
From the commentators, it seems some of our ladies are still being owed their bonuses from previous matches. If so, I commend these ladies (ours ladies) even more.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Better performance...

But, not a fan of the coach.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

We have players that can compete, but i don't think the coach believes so. I have the feeling he has similar mindset as Rohr did with the SE, which is that we can't beat a superior team. We were playing not to be disgraced instead of playing to win. If we had put pressure on the US we would have won.
Odas wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:08 am
Maybe you are correct, but note in any match, anything can happen. My only problem is many of the referees are biased against African teams, so in many occasions, we are playing against our opponents and the referees as well, which swings the pendulum against us - almost - all the time.
Last edited by 1naija on Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
danesh
Egg
Egg

Post by danesh »

iworo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:18 am I’m proud of the team for putting on good showing today. Here are the negatives:

I watched the game and did not see what you are talking about. You sound like a person who does not understand context and circumstance. This is supposed to be the best team in the world and we played them in their capital city without some of our best players. I would respond point-for-point but that would be a waste of time. Don't be lazy, if you want to criticize, you can surely do better than calling someone brainless. The same person that is a Yale graduate.

This team's defending and passing was better than what I saw in Morocco considering the opposition. They could absolutely do better but sometimes it's important to appreciate improvement. I wonder what we would have looked like with Fran, Zee and Desire playing.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

You are so proud of them that you are calling them brainless. I wonder what you would have called them if you were disappointed in them.

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Bell wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:29 am

I WOULDN'T BE THAT HARSH

Keep in mind, they were trying their best.
Bell
I was just being honest my brother. It was a little bit painful watching our players’ poor decision making with our passes compared to the Americans. There was nothing special about the US team that we played today. Honestly, South Africans would have given them a hard time. How difficult it’s to imbibe a one touch mentality
to improve player's decision making. I’m losing my patience with our coach, because this is where I expect him to make an impact.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

danesh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:09 am

I watched the game and did not see what you are talking about. You sound like a person who does not understand context and circumstance. This is supposed to be the best team in the world and we played them in their capital city without some of our best players. I would respond point-for-point but that would be a waste of time. Don't be lazy, if you want to criticize, you can surely do better than calling someone brainless. The same person that is a Yale graduate.

This team's defending and passing was better than what I saw in Morocco considering the opposition. They could absolutely do better but sometimes it's important to appreciate improvement. I wonder what we would have looked like with Fran, Zee and Desire playing.
Lazy! You’re cracking me up :lol:. Yale graduate my butt :rotf:. I guess football intelligence is the same as academic intelligence, right?
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

iworo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:29 amI was just being honest my brother. It was a little bit painful watching our players’ poor decision making with our passes compared to the Americans. There was nothing special about the US team that we played today. Honestly, South Africans would have given them a hard time. How difficult it’s to imbibe a one touch mentality
to improve player's decision making. I’m losing my patience with our coach, because this is where I expect him to make an impact.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The same South Africans who were TRASHED 6-0 at HOME by Brazil yesterday...
And 3-0 also at HOME three days before. Things one read on CE sometimes na wa!
Last edited by Gotti on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Excuses , Excuses! What is a Nigerian team coming from Africa to the US supposed to cross? The Mississippi River?

Personally, I think the team played better than they did in the last game, but the same US was a far better coached team and would have beaten us in Nigeria if the came to Nigeria instead! That's because they play with a different mindset. Didn't Brazil come across the same Atlantic ocean to Nigeria literally hours before the game and beat us 3 - 0 in Abuja? It's all about the mindset. I put the blame squarely on the coach.

I ask again, what is the background of the assistant coach and what does she contribute to the team? She seems like a nice lady from the way she was jubilating after we scored against Morocco at the AFCON, but what is her technical background?
jette1 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:25 am Shortsighted commentaries all over the place; when I naira is an expert commentator you know say things are bad. Swap this team to USA and the USA team to Nigeria and Nigeria will wallop them silly.