OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

lacidi
Egg
Egg
Re: OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Post by lacidi »

Awaziem was not in the lineup for his cubs match on Saturday. He has been a 90 mins player for his team since the start of the season but was not even on the bench on Saturday. I hope it's not injury related.
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

lacidi wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:48 pm Awaziem was not in the lineup for his cubs match on Saturday. He has been a 90 mins player for his team since the start of the season but was not even on the bench on Saturday. I hope it's not injury related.
He's serving a one match suspension for accumulated yellow cards.
I am happy
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The biggest minus is Awoniyi who had not done anything prior to the list being made to warrant an invite to the the team. We shouldn't call out people and turn a blind eye to the obvious. Invitation should be based on merit, not likeability.
Damunk wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:30 pm Plusses
Ejuke
Onyedika
Akpoguma

Minuses
Ekong
Omeruo
Balogun
Awaziem
(Very few options, but where are Ndah, Ozonwafor?)
Musa (Nuff said already)
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:10 pm Knowing Dennis, he may be moody that he wasn't called up in the first place.

Onyekuru has done OK, but we have much better options, to me he is a guy you call after a few injuries to your main guys.

Why does old man Musa never get injured sef ?
You mean why are your prayers never answered?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

If not for Jesus, where will i be?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:09 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:20 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:44 am I think the elephant in the room is that these coaches from Rohr through Egu to Peseiro could actually be making these team lists themselves.
Why is that not even considered a possibility?

If na exam, all of una don fail finish.
Nah, it can't just be simple as mere coincidence that all these coaches from Rohr to Peseiro all seem to stick to a regimental type of routine when it comes to team selection, it's always the same pattern of unnecessarily overloading the defence and attack and leaving the midfield thin-bare...it's either NFF just happen to be hiring dinosaurs, or someone or persons in the NFF are behind these team selections to accommodate certain players...but in due time we shall know the truth.
This is a good demonstration of confirmation bias.
What you are saying is that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE for three national coaches within a period of 14 months to pick roughly identical squads, but it is MORE LIKELY that the three coaches are being dictated to by the NFF.
All this because two or three players per squad are deemed by fans not to be worthy.
You have now convinced yourselves that the NFF is controlling the choice of THREE coaches.

That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?
So basically, as long as the coach does not put out a list that is universally approved (which is impossible), it means they are not the ones deciding the call-ups - whatever claims they might make tote contrary.
Hmmm.
I think the real issue is the perception that the squads contain too few midfielders. The definition of midfielder varies from coaches to fans. Most coaches consider wide forwards and wingers to be midfielders while fans usually limit their vision of midfielders to central, defensive and attacking midfielders. Thus, even though we tend to think of the likes of Simon, Lookman and Ejuke as forwards, the coaches may see them as part of the midfield❗️

Cheers.
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

So is Dennis really injured, or did he decline to be the backup after originally missing out Ala Akpoguma. I speculated earlier he may do this knowing ghis character, I hope I am wrong.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:57 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:44 am I think the elephant in the room is that these coaches from Rohr through Egu to Peseiro could actually be making these team lists themselves.

Nah, it can't just be simple as mere coincidence that all these coaches from Rohr to Peseiro all seem to stick to a regimental type of routine when it comes to team selection, it's always the same pattern of unnecessarily overloading the defence and attack and leaving the midfield thin-bare...it's either NFF just happen to be hiring dinosaurs, or someone or persons in the NFF are behind these team selections to accommodate certain players...but in due time we shall know the truth.
What you are saying is that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE for three national coaches within a period of 14 months to pick roughly identical squads, but it is MORE LIKELY that the three coaches are being dictated to by the NFF.
All this because two or three players per squad are deemed by fans not to be worthy.
You have now convinced yourselves that the NFF is controlling the choice of THREE coaches.

So basically, as long as the coach does not put out a list that is universally approved (which is impossible), it means they are not the ones deciding the call-ups - whatever claims they might make tote contrary.
Hmmm.
I think the real issue is the perception that the squads contain too few midfielders. The definition of midfielder varies from coaches to fans. Most coaches consider wide forwards and wingers to be midfielders while fans usually limit their vision of midfielders to central, defensive and attacking midfielders. Thus, even though we tend to think of the likes of Simon, Lookman and Ejuke as forwards, the coaches may see them as part of the midfield❗️

Cheers.
SIGNED.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Hmmm.

Cheers.
Kpom. Enugu II has made this point countless times.

Again, it’s fans throwing big tantrums and buying big conspiracy theories because they are very angry with someone, or something.
Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:19 am

Hmmm.

Cheers.

Again, it’s fans throwing big tantrums and buying big conspiracy theories because they are very angry with someone, or something.
Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.
Well can you blame the fans for thinking (and rightfully so) that a conventional definition of midfield roles include the DM, CM and CAM positions? we can try to get all technical about this as much as we want, but there's a reason we seem to be among the very few if not the only national teams that tend to classify wide forwards as part of the midfield...thus the baffling tendency of having paper-thin midfield compared to 90% of other national teams...or maybe Nigeria just has its own unique style of football that just avoids central midfield as a whole.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:14 am

Hmmm.

Cheers.

Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.
Well can you blame the fans for thinking (and rightfully so) that a conventional definition of midfield roles include the DM, CM and CAM positions? we can try to get all technical about this as much as we want, but there's a reason we seem to be among the very few if not the only national teams that tend to classify wide forwards as part of the midfield...thus the baffling tendency of having paper-thin midfield compared to 90% of other national teams...or maybe Nigeria just has its own unique style of football that just avoids central midfield as a whole.
In theory with a 23 man squad, that is 2 staring eleven plus an extra keeper.

If we are playing a 442 you would want to have 2 for every position.

That would leave us with 4 midfielders per squad of 23. That's what we have and so it would seem right ?

But then we should also only have 4 central defenders, yet we have 6. We should also only have 4 wide players, yet again we have 6.

Any way you slice it, even if we are dead set on playing 442 with no room for tactical flexibility (which is quite stupid tbh) we are still overloading the team with central backs and wingers.

It's almost as if certain members of the team MUST BE CALLED irregardless of form or necessity, and these players all happen to be in the same positions, so our midfield suffers.

We know Musa is an extra winger they force on us.

Perhaps Omeruo, is one such player as well who overloads the defence, perhaps even leading to the dropping of Akpoguma last afcon.

Musas continued imposition on the team has already lead to the exclusion of Ejuke for key matches, and now the exclusion of Emmanuel Dennis, who is now throwing a tantrum and declined his auxiliary call up much the same way Akpoguma did.

The imposition of these junk players I would say is actually causing disharmony in the team.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I have zero interest in the men's national team until I see a rational squad selection.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 pm

Hmmm.

Cheers.

Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.

That would leave us with 4 midfielders per squad of 23. That's what we have and so it would seem right ?

But then we should also only have 4 central defenders, yet we have 6. We should also only have 4 wide players, yet again we have 6.

Any way you slice it, even if we are dead set on playing 442 with no room for tactical flexibility (which is quite stupid tbh) we are still overloading the team with central backs and wingers.

It's almost as if certain members of the team MUST BE CALLED irregardless of form or necessity, and these players all happen to be in the same positions, so our midfield suffers.

Perhaps Omeruo, is one such player as well who overloads the defence, perhaps even leading to the dropping of Akpoguma last afcon.

Musas continued imposition on the team has already lead to the exclusion of Ejuke for key matches, and now the exclusion of Emmanuel Dennis, who is now throwing a tantrum and declined his auxiliary call up much the same way Akpoguma did.

The imposition of these junk players I would say is actually causing disharmony in the team.
VE

The problem with your analysis is its rigidity and flawed conception that these footballers are unable to play several positions. Fortunately, managers are not thinking in such rigidity. Managers understand the talent that they have and some work extensively to develop variability in the talents at their disposal. This is one area in which Gernot Rohr excelled. Rohr developed players like Shehu who can play comfortably in both defensive and midfield positions. There are other examples including Musa who could strike and play wide, Iwobi who could play as a wide and central midfielder, etc.

I understand the attempt to see things in simple terms but doing so leads to misinformation. The coaches understand the complexity and their selection reflects that. This calls for the lead like you and others to decipher that complexity.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:50 pm

Hmmm.

Cheers.

Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.

VE

The problem with your analysis is its rigidity and flawed conception that these footballers are unable to play several positions. Fortunately, managers are not thinking in such rigidity. Managers understand the talent that they have and some work extensively to develop variability in the talents at their disposal. This is one area in which Gernot Rohr excelled. Rohr developed players like Shehu who can play comfortably in both defensive and midfield positions. There are other examples including Musa who could strike and play wide, Iwobi who could play as a wide and central midfielder, etc.

I understand the attempt to see things in simple terms but doing so leads to misinformation. The coaches understand the complexity and their selection reflects that. This calls for the lead like you and others to decipher that complexity.

Stripped of the sophistry, this is a banal list at best. Its neither a proper reflection of current player trends/form nor does it focus on driving internal competition, without which a team is dead.

And I mean Dead!

Its the same endless trotting out of player lists, each less inspiring than the previous, except for maybe one player, its the same Nigerian dross...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:44 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:09 pm This is a good demonstration of confirmation bias.

Hmmm.

Cheers.

Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.

VE

Stripped of the sophistry, this is a banal list at best. Its neither a proper reflection of current player trends/form nor does it focus on driving internal competition, without which a team is dead.

And I mean Dead!

Its the same endless trotting out of player lists, each less inspiring than the previous, except for maybe one player, its the same Nigerian dross...
Can you give us your list…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

txj wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:44 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:09 pm This is a good demonstration of confirmation bias.

Hmmm.

Cheers.

Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.

VE

And I mean Dead!

So of the 23 named players, which of them would you have replaced with potentially ‘better’ players?
Who would they be and how many would be needed to turn the current list of “dross” to a new, exciting, killer squad?

Unless of course you are simply saying we don’t have any significantly better players anyway, which means the squad would have been “dross” regardless of who was invited and this whole debate is therefore totally pointless.

It’s a view that many hold strongly and will say they have their reasons. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

My own list with all injuries and withdrawals considered...

GK: Uzoho, Adeleye, Remo stars GK (forgot his name).

CB/LB: Aina, Bassey, Akpoguma,, Sanusi, Olisa Ndah and Awaziem.

DM/CM: Ndidi, Iwobi, Alhassan Yusuf, Onyedika, Nwakali, and Daniel Daga (it's a friendly, give one of the youth players a freaking chance)

FWD/Wingers: Ejuke, Lookman, Moffi, Dessers, Okereke, Moses Simon/Olayinka.

Players on my standby:

Iheanacho, Awoniyi, Balogun, Maduka Okoye, Ishaq Abdulrazak, Bonke, and Victor Boniface

I'm not even a coach, yet my list will resonate with at least 98% of Nigerian fans with no arguments and frustrating feedbacks...see the balance in my whole squad, that's how list should look like.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:23 am My own list with all injuries and withdrawals considered...

DM/CM: Ndidi, Iwobi, Alhassan Yusuf, Onyedika, Nwakali, and Daniel Daga (it's a friendly, give one of the youth players a freaking chance)

Players on my standby:

Iheanacho, Awoniyi, Balogun, Maduka Okoye, Ishaq Abdulrazak, Bonke, and Victor Boniface

I'm not even a coach, yet my list will resonate with at least 98% of Nigerian fans with no arguments and frustrating feedbacks...see the balance in my whole squad, that's how list should look like.
Thin in GK, defense, who the heck is Daga…so basically Yusuf, Nwakali, Okereke are who you are throwing a fit about?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:35 am
Tobi17 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:23 am My own list with all injuries and withdrawals considered...

Players on my standby:

Thin in GK, defense, who the heck is Daga…so basically Yusuf, Nwakali, Okereke are who you are throwing a fit about?
Bros let me see your own list... I think the whole concept of a FRIENDLY and trying out new prospects is lost on you guys, please let me see your own impeccable list.

And if you indeed watched the recent youth WAFU U20 subregional tournament, the name Daniel Daga won't be unfamiliar to you.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:43 pm I have zero interest in the men's national team until I see a rational squad selection.
Go watch your liverpool, leave us alone
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:40 am

Players on my standby:

Bros let me see your own list... I think the whole concept of a FRIENDLY and trying out new prospects is lost on you guys, please let me see your own impeccable list.

And if you indeed watched the recent youth WAFU U20 subregional tournament, the name Daniel Daga won't be unfamiliar to you.
Apart from the dude named after a jamo dance, who is new on your list…abeg make we hear word
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:30 am
Tobi17 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:40 am

Players on my standby:

Apart from the dude named after a jamo dance, who is new on your list…abeg make we hear word
Let's see your list :taunt: