OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OFFICIAL: NFF release team list for friendly games

Post by txj »

Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:58 am
txj wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:44 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:50 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:56 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:14 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:19 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:57 pm

I think the real issue is the perception that the squads contain too few midfielders. The definition of midfielder varies from coaches to fans. Most coaches consider wide forwards and wingers to be midfielders while fans usually limit their vision of midfielders to central, defensive and attacking midfielders. Thus, even though we tend to think of the likes of Simon, Lookman and Ejuke as forwards, the coaches may see them as part of the midfield❗️

Cheers.
Kpom. Enugu II has made this point countless times.

Again, it’s fans throwing big tantrums and buying big conspiracy theories because they are very angry with someone, or something.
Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.
Well can you blame the fans for thinking (and rightfully so) that a conventional definition of midfield roles include the DM, CM and CAM positions? we can try to get all technical about this as much as we want, but there's a reason we seem to be among the very few if not the only national teams that tend to classify wide forwards as part of the midfield...thus the baffling tendency of having paper-thin midfield compared to 90% of other national teams...or maybe Nigeria just has its own unique style of football that just avoids central midfield as a whole.
In theory with a 23 man squad, that is 2 staring eleven plus an extra keeper.

If we are playing a 442 you would want to have 2 for every position.

That would leave us with 4 midfielders per squad of 23. That's what we have and so it would seem right ?

But then we should also only have 4 central defenders, yet we have 6. We should also only have 4 wide players, yet again we have 6.

Any way you slice it, even if we are dead set on playing 442 with no room for tactical flexibility (which is quite stupid tbh) we are still overloading the team with central backs and wingers.

It's almost as if certain members of the team MUST BE CALLED irregardless of form or necessity, and these players all happen to be in the same positions, so our midfield suffers.

We know Musa is an extra winger they force on us.

Perhaps Omeruo, is one such player as well who overloads the defence, perhaps even leading to the dropping of Akpoguma last afcon.

Musas continued imposition on the team has already lead to the exclusion of Ejuke for key matches, and now the exclusion of Emmanuel Dennis, who is now throwing a tantrum and declined his auxiliary call up much the same way Akpoguma did.

The imposition of these junk players I would say is actually causing disharmony in the team.
VE

The problem with your analysis is its rigidity and flawed conception that these footballers are unable to play several positions. Fortunately, managers are not thinking in such rigidity. Managers understand the talent that they have and some work extensively to develop variability in the talents at their disposal. This is one area in which Gernot Rohr excelled. Rohr developed players like Shehu who can play comfortably in both defensive and midfield positions. There are other examples including Musa who could strike and play wide, Iwobi who could play as a wide and central midfielder, etc.

I understand the attempt to see things in simple terms but doing so leads to misinformation. The coaches understand the complexity and their selection reflects that. This calls for the lead like you and others to decipher that complexity.
Stripped of the sophistry, this is a banal list at best. Its neither a proper reflection of current player trends/form nor does it focus on driving internal competition, without which a team is dead.

And I mean Dead!

Its the same endless trotting out of player lists, each less inspiring than the previous, except for maybe one player, its the same Nigerian dross...
So of the 23 named players, which of them would you have replaced with potentially ‘better’ players?
Who would they be and how many would be needed to turn the current list of “dross” to a new, exciting, killer squad?

Unless of course you are simply saying we don’t have any significantly better players anyway, which means the squad would have been “dross” regardless of who was invited and this whole debate is therefore totally pointless.

It’s a view that many hold strongly and will say they have their reasons. :idea:

First of all, its an intellectually lazy response. The 'give us your list' approach is bereft of any intellectual rigor.

Rather you should look at it more systematically. For instance, we take the defence; central defence.

1. Analyze the players we currently have: Ekong, Omeruo, Balogun, Awaziem, Bassey, Akpoguma
- their strenghts,
-weaknesses,
- where they are at their club game.
- Are they starting vs on the bench
- how many games did they start
- how many were they subbed in/out in
- how old are they, which gives you indication of longevity
- injury history

Ekong is 29, a sub in championship Watford
Omeruo is 28 playing in Segunda B
Balogun is 34 playing in the championship, without an appearance for QPR so far
Awaziem is 25 in his 7th loan club Hadjuk, since 2017, with 3 appearances and 1 goal.

This gives you an idea of VIABILITY; short, medium and long term.

2. Now analyze the options out there, Nigerians, dual Nigerians, etc
- what are their clubs
- are they playing

Apart from Bassey, we have nothing in this position. I mean, absolutely nothing!
Akpoguma I reserve judgement until I see him get a run of games in the SE.

So don't ask me stupid questions, like give us your list.

Look at the list and THINK!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

dayumnnn nah so txj just expose da-munky as a man who doesn't think before he makes a post ... chei da-munky down
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:09 pm dayumnnn nah so txj just expose da-munky as a man who doesn't think before he makes a post ... chei da-munky down

what are you still doing here?
If you had any sense of shame you would quit CE!

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

txj wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:59 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:09 pm dayumnnn nah so txj just expose da-munky as a man who doesn't think before he makes a post ... chei da-munky down

if you were the one paying my ISP fees, electricity, mortgage , CC etc. I for answer you . as you no dey do any of the above hush and head to CVS to pick up your prescription
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:03 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:19 am Kpom. Enugu II has made this point countless times.

Again, it’s fans throwing big tantrums and buying big conspiracy theories because they are very angry with someone, or something.
Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.
Well can you blame the fans for thinking (and rightfully so) that a conventional definition of midfield roles include the DM, CM and CAM positions? we can try to get all technical about this as much as we want, but there's a reason we seem to be among the very few if not the only national teams that tend to classify wide forwards as part of the midfield...thus the baffling tendency of having paper-thin midfield compared to 90% of other national teams...or maybe Nigeria just has its own unique style of football that just avoids central midfield as a whole.

That would leave us with 4 midfielders per squad of 23. That's what we have and so it would seem right ?

But then we should also only have 4 central defenders, yet we have 6. We should also only have 4 wide players, yet again we have 6.

Any way you slice it, even if we are dead set on playing 442 with no room for tactical flexibility (which is quite stupid tbh) we are still overloading the team with central backs and wingers.

It's almost as if certain members of the team MUST BE CALLED irregardless of form or necessity, and these players all happen to be in the same positions, so our midfield suffers.

Perhaps Omeruo, is one such player as well who overloads the defence, perhaps even leading to the dropping of Akpoguma last afcon.

Musas continued imposition on the team has already lead to the exclusion of Ejuke for key matches, and now the exclusion of Emmanuel Dennis, who is now throwing a tantrum and declined his auxiliary call up much the same way Akpoguma did.

The imposition of these junk players I would say is actually causing disharmony in the team.
VE

The problem with your analysis is its rigidity and flawed conception that these footballers are unable to play several positions. Fortunately, managers are not thinking in such rigidity. Managers understand the talent that they have and some work extensively to develop variability in the talents at their disposal. This is one area in which Gernot Rohr excelled. Rohr developed players like Shehu who can play comfortably in both defensive and midfield positions. There are other examples including Musa who could strike and play wide, Iwobi who could play as a wide and central midfielder, etc.

I understand the attempt to see things in simple terms but doing so leads to misinformation. The coaches understand the complexity and their selection reflects that. This calls for the lead like you and others to decipher that complexity.
Stripped of the sophistry, this is a banal list at best. Its neither a proper reflection of current player trends/form nor does it focus on driving internal competition, without which a team is dead.

And I mean Dead!

Its the same endless trotting out of player lists, each less inspiring than the previous, except for maybe one player, its the same Nigerian dross...
So of the 23 named players, which of them would you have replaced with potentially ‘better’ players?
Who would they be and how many would be needed to turn the current list of “dross” to a new, exciting, killer squad?

Unless of course you are simply saying we don’t have any significantly better players anyway, which means the squad would have been “dross” regardless of who was invited and this whole debate is therefore totally pointless.

It’s a view that many hold strongly and will say they have their reasons. :idea:

First of all, its an intellectually lazy response. The 'give us your list' approach is bereft of any intellectual rigor.

Rather you should look at it more systematically. For instance, we take the defence; central defence.

1. Analyze the players we currently have: Ekong, Omeruo, Balogun, Awaziem, Bassey, Akpoguma
- their strenghts,
-weaknesses,
- injury history

Awaziem is 25 in his 7th loan club Hadjuk, since 2017, with 3 appearances and 1 goal.

- what are their clubs
- are they playing

Apart from Bassey, we have nothing in this position. I mean, absolutely nothing!

What you just wrote makes zero sense, our team sucks it’s why we didn’t make the WC. However we can’t manufacture players out of thin air, so if you are unhappy with this set of players (like we all are) we are simply asking what list would have made you happier. How is that a stupid question? Your extra defensive posture more so tells me you don’t really have a solution or a viable set of players that would solve the issues you are bringing up, you are basically just b1tching for the sake of it…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:01 pm

if you were the one paying my ISP fees, electricity, mortgage , CC etc. I for answer you . as you no dey do any of the above hush and head to CVS to pick up your prescription

Every post you make devalues CE.
You and danfo are a plague on this site.
If u had an ounce of decency you would quit this forum...

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

txj wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:07 pm

Never. I am here until my time on earth is over. you best believe
SuperEagles

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:07 pm

VE

And I mean Dead!

- their strenghts,
-weaknesses,
- injury history

- what are their clubs
- are they playing

What you just wrote makes zero sense, our team sucks it’s why we didn’t make the WC. However we can’t manufacture players out of thin air, so if you are unhappy with this set of players (like we all are) we are simply asking what list would have made you happier. How is that a stupid question? Your extra defensive posture more so tells me you don’t really have a solution or a viable set of players that would solve the issues you are bringing up, you are basically just b1tching for the sake of it…

You should allow yourself to reflect on what I wrote, instead of the rote response in asking for a list...
I have even laid out a process for you to use in reflecting on this.
Take advantage of it...

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:07 pm

VE

And I mean Dead!

- their strenghts,
-weaknesses,
- injury history

- what are their clubs
- are they playing

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: leave the man alone let him rant
SuperEagles

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:19 am Kpom. Enugu II has made this point countless times.

Pinnick.
Musa.
Rohr.
Shehu.
The NFF.
DNQ.

VE

And I mean Dead!

- their strenghts,
-weaknesses,
- injury history

- what are their clubs
- are they playing

Balogun has been playing for QPR and started their last 2 matches.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Dammy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:52 pm

VE

And I mean Dead!

- their strenghts,
-weaknesses,
- injury history

- what are their clubs
- are they playing

Don’t let facts get in the way of the man’s b1tchin…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:17 pm
Dammy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:52 pm

VE

And I mean Dead!

- their strenghts,
-weaknesses,
- injury history

- what are their clubs
- are they playing

Don’t let facts get in the way of the man’s b1tchin…

He's started two games in the championship at 34yrs.
And that is the player you want to invest in?

In the championship, a neanderthal league!

He could start 34 games for all I care!

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
He's trying to ingratiate himself with you for the simple reason that you just yabbed Damunk.
That's all you need do for him to open yansh for you. Not that you are remotely interested, but he'll do it anyway.
Such is his 'patheticness'.
Ignore him.

Now, as for your ''stupid question", I will ignore your stupid response and your totally unnecessary insult to simply remind you that if you were not so disabled by random Tourette's-like outbursts of stupidity yourself, you would have realised that everything you have identified in your response, I have been harping on about all year.
But you have been too embroiled in battles on all fronts - from Ukraine to Moscow to Washington to Abuja - to know who is saying what.

It was a simple question.
You complained as if you had better ideas for the SE call-ups.
I just wanted to know what they were.
But it seems y'aint got none.
So STFU, no offence. :D

Now, can we get back to civility? :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

What should have been done.

I can't fault the coach for his choice in 4 strikers given our injury situation

Dessers, Moffi Iheanacho, Awoniyi

He gets a pass for this

Wingers/wide forwards

Again good picks given injuries but no need for so many. Musa should be finished with the national team.

Midfield is barely satisfactory

Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyedika Onyeka

He should have called up Yusuf, no ifs ands or buts and in fact Yusuf was called but then cancelled for some unknown reason. Completely unacceptable.

Defence is again barely satisfactory

Why was that Blackpool defender not called ?

Why was Osei Samuel not called to challenge Ainas RB position and give us new options ?

Why were 6 centre backs called ?

All in all the squad is imbalanced lacking more central midfielders and overloaded with CBs and Wingers.

We've wasted a friendly window where we could have tested legit options from Yusuf in the middle to Ekpetita and Osei Samuel at the back.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:27 pm
He's trying to ingratiate himself with you for the simple reason that you just yabbed Damunk.
That's all you need do for him to open yansh for you. Not that you are remotely interested, but he'll do it anyway.
Ignore him.

Now, as for your ''stupid question", I will ignore your stupid response and your totally unnecessary insult to simply remind you that if you were not so disabled by random Tourette's-like outbursts of stupidity yourself, you would have realised that everything you have identified in your response, I have been harping on about all year.
But you have been too embroiled in battles on all fronts - from Ukraine to Moscow to Washington to Abuja - to know who is saying what.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: touche...

We are going round in circles and the movement gives the false impression of progress...
Last edited by txj on Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

txj wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:53 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:27 pm
Ignore him.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I don't get why we are so worked up about this list for the 2 friendlies. There's really nothing surprising here.

National team set ups are different as to how call ups are earned/given and also our "Nigerian factor" tends to shape our call ups more often than not (Musa will continue to be on callups as long as he is active). Also keep in mind that majority of Europe have only played 7 or so games, maybe that's not enough body of work for Okereke to dislodge any of the other strikers?

But on the other hand, I knew there were some shenanigans going on when the list was delayed until the last minute and clubs were already confirming player invitations. Valentine had his invitation prior to being called as a back up. The Yusuf story is a weird one.

THE NFF HAS TO MAKE THE COACH AVAILABLE FOR A PRESSER WHENEVER HE RELEASES A TEAM LIST and our press have to ask the right questions to help give a better understanding of the Coach's thought process.

Anybody claiming Aribo was dropped because of bad form is just trying to be funny. It's clearly resting someone who played the most games in the world last season. A Peseiro presser would have stopped nonsense talk like that.

Txj, Mace04 and DaMunk thank you 3 for the comedy session on this thread. Una wan kill txj for criticizing with no solution :D :D
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:50 pm I don't get why we are so worked up about this list for the 2 friendlies. There's really nothing surprising here.

National team set ups are different as to how call ups are earned/given and also our "Nigerian factor" tends to shape our call ups more often than not (Musa will continue to be on callups as long as he is active). Also keep in mind that majority of Europe have only played 7 or so games, maybe that's not enough body of work for Okereke to dislodge any of the other strikers?

But on the other hand, I knew there were some shenanigans going on when the list was delayed until the last minute and clubs were already confirming player invitations. Valentine had his invitation prior to being called as a back up. The Yusuf story is a weird one.

THE NFF HAS TO MAKE THE COACH AVAILABLE FOR A PRESSER WHENEVER HE RELEASES A TEAM LIST and our press have to ask the right questions to help give a better understanding of the Coach's thought process.

Anybody claiming Aribo was dropped because of bad form is just trying to be funny. It's clearly resting someone who played the most games in the world last season. A Peseiro presser would have stopped nonsense talk like that.

Txj, Mace04 and DaMunk thank you 3 for the comedy session on this thread. Una wan kill txj for criticizing with no solution :D :D

My ideas in CD position have been on the forum for about 8 weeks now...
The 'give us your list' thing is irrelevant.
We are not serious...Look at the casual manner in which we all accept Musa as a fait acompli...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:09 pm

Don't mind TXJ.

I appreciate you being here and also leading the fight to make this an Eagles Nest... bringing content about Naijarian football players.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:47 pm What should have been done.

I can't fault the coach for his choice in 4 strikers given our injury situation

Dessers, Moffi Iheanacho, Awoniyi

He gets a pass for this

Wingers/wide forwards

Again good picks given injuries but no need for so many. Musa should be finished with the national team.

Midfield is barely satisfactory

Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyedika Onyeka

He should have called up Yusuf, no ifs ands or buts and in fact Yusuf was called but then cancelled for some unknown reason. Completely unacceptable.

Defence is again barely satisfactory

Why was that Blackpool defender not called ?

Why was Osei Samuel not called to challenge Ainas RB position and give us new options ?

Why were 6 centre backs called ?

All in all the squad is imbalanced lacking more central midfielders and overloaded with CBs and Wingers.

We've wasted a friendly window where we could have tested legit options from Yusuf in the middle to Ekpetita and Osei Samuel at the back.
I don't have a problem with the list.

We typically have a problem with lists...

What I will like to see is for the coach to see the players up close and personal and slowly weed the ones who can't play for him the way he wants them to play.

He will in a hurry realize that having too many forwards on a team doesn't win you jack.

If he intends to be successful, he will have to scout and find more midfielders and ball playing Centerbacks. Reduce the number of forwards you invite (make the competition stiffer). Stop playing forwards as midfielders... And he will have a winning tenure as coach.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

A question for those complaining about the number of central midfielders invited. How many central midfielders actually play in a game? The answer to that is at most two. A balanced team has to have its complement of defenders, wingers and forwards as well. That’s why, in the modern game, the emphasis is on tracking back on defense. The midfield only looks thin when the forward and wide players don’t pressure the ball effectively and that’s an area where we are somewhat deficient❗️

Cheers.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:51 pm

Don't mind TXJ.

I appreciate you being here and also leading the fight to make this an Eagles Nest... bringing content about Naijarian football players.

He's a waste of space. Stop lying to the man...

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

txj wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:06 pm
Cellular wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:51 pm

Don't mind TXJ.

He's a waste of space. Stop lying to the man...
TXJ, how often do you eat country fried steak after your morning walk at the mall?
SuperEagles