Orji Okonkwo: Nigerian U-17 World Cup winner given four-year doping ban

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

By Oluwashina Okeleji

Nigerian striker Orji Okonkwo has been suspended from football for four years after being found guilty of a doping violation, according to Fifa.

The 24-year-old, who plays for Serie A side Bologna, was initially handed the ban by the national anti-doping agency (Nado Italia) in June.
In February, Okonkwo - who is set to appeal - had tested positive for the steroid clostebol during a loan spell at Cittadella.

Clostebol, which the player said he used to treat a problematic knee, is on the World Anti-Doping Code prohibited list.

Fifa's disciplinary committee has now extended the Nado Italia sanctions to have "worldwide effect", according to its chairperson Jorge Ivan Palacio.

"Consequently, the Committee decided to extend the sanction imposed on the player by the Italian Nado on 20 June 2022," read a Fifa statement.

"More specifically, the player is sanctioned with a four years suspension from all football-related activities in accordance with the decision."

His ban has been backdated to 25 February and he will be free to play again on 24 February 2026.

BBC Sport Africa has been informed by the player's representatives that he will appeal against the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

Rising star

Okonkwo joined Bologna based in northern Italy in August 2016, a year after he helped Nigeria, alongside Napoli's Victor Osimhen and Samuel Chukwueze of Villarreal, win the 2015 Under-17 World Cup.

He has made 30 appearances, scoring three goals in 27 Serie A matches, for the side, including four starts.

Okonkwo had two notable loan spells at Major League Soccer side Montreal Impact and also spent time on loan at Italian second tier clubs Brescia, Reggina and Cittadella.

At international level, Okwonkwo started three games for Nigeria at the 2019 Africa Under-23 Cup of Nations, scoring a goal against Zambia.

He starred as the West African nation clinched a fifth U-17 world title in Chile seven years ago, appearing in five games during the tournament and scoring in the 4-2 semi-final win over Mexico.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: Orji Okonkwo: Nigerian U-17 World Cup winner given four-year doping ban

Post by mystic »

This is unfortunate. I hope he'll be able to defend himself properly on appeal.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Orji Okonkwo: Nigerian U-17 World Cup winner given four-year doping ban

Post by Damunk »

mystic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:37 pm This is unfortunate. I hope he'll be able to defend himself properly on appeal.
Very unfortunate.
I hope it’s somehow a mistake, cos this ain’t good.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "