Ethan Nwaneri

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

User avatar
pindal123
Egg
Egg
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:45 pm
Re: Ethan Nwaneri

Post by pindal123 »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 pm
wiseone wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 pm If you could pick only 3 players of Nigerian descent who currently play for other countries, and could get them to switch allegiance to Nigeria, which 3 would you pick? (even if they already played for another country)
Saka Alaba, Akanji
Not Akanji please!
User avatar
pindal123
Egg
Egg
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:45 pm
Re: Ethan Nwaneri

Post by pindal123 »

About Nwaneri, he is English, i see very hard for him to switch to Nigeria, for his development he should continue to play for England youth teams.
Chief Bambostic
Egg
Egg
Posts: 1274
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:44 pm
Location: UK
Re: Ethan Nwaneri

Post by Chief Bambostic »

azuka wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:48 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:26 pm
azuka wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:29 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:10 pm
azuka wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:38 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:58 pm The way I look at this is that these are British kids, full stop. They aren't Nigerian kids. Social development is important and these are for all intents and purposes, British. He will consider Nigeria only as a distant choice that will be used if and when the door to his first and natural choice closes.
Chief you will be pleasantly surprised that these kids are more Nigerian than you think. I talk from experience with my kids born in diaspora. When I attend their events either in school or sports, these kids with Nigerian heritage tend to gather together and mingle. You need to hear them speak in their pidgin pidgin english.
But they rarely choose to represent Nigeria unless England doesn’t want them. Seems they’d rather speak pidgin with their England team mates.
It is not that simple. Have you ever considered the fact that most of these kids chose not to represent Nigeria because they fancy their chances with other countries? I mean a lot of these kids in heart will love to represent Nigeria but when they consider the immense talents in Nigeria, they fancy their chances with other countries.

That was the situation with John Fashanu in the 80s when he arrived in SE camp. But seeing talent he's to compete with, he claim injury.

That is the situation today with my son who rather fancies his chances with Canada or even USA in athletics rather than Nigeria. And this is someone whose dream till tomorrow is to represent Nigeria? To tell you how genuine his wish is, he's in touch with the AFN. But for some documentation issue he would have represented Nigeria at the last World Universities games in China. All these efforts were taken by him before he tells me.

So for these kids, try to see the situation from their own point of view.
Azuka,

Your son must be an outlier. The fact is that people often choose what is most comfortable. That is a human trait.

Perhaps, your son is most comfortable with the Nigerian situation. For most of these kids with Nigerian parents, it is their parents who have Nigerian families and friends in their association circle/network. The kids have a far more cosmopolitan circle/network of friends that goes way beyond Nigerians and will include lots of people from the land where they now reside. That is their social network (Different from their parent's social network) and that often will inform their choices.

This is why it is not shocking at all that these kids are not ranking Nigeria as their first choice. Those that eventually choose Nigeria, do so because they are unable or unlikely to make their first choice but they still want to play international football. Thus, Nigeria becomes a fallback choice. Nothing surprising about this, at all. It is simply human nature.
Not at all. If he doesn't want to run for Nigeria, why will he be in touch with the AFN? Quite a number of his friends are Nigerian kids sent here to study and other Nigerian kids he meets at competitions.

I gave you 2 examples: my son and John Fashanu.
My son's first choice and dream is still Nigeria. For him Canada and USA are just 2nd and 3rd choices. That he's today considering those 2 countries today is because of the amount of talents in Nigeria.
Let's forget about him and consider Fashanu. At point he arrived at the SE camp, there were Rashidi Yekinni, Richard Owubokiri, Daniel Amokachie all competiting for the same position. Please tell which of these players he could have displaced?
And that's what i think might be the situation with other Nigerian stars who though would love to compete for Nigeria.
For now, your son's story doesn't quite add up yet, simply because no Athlete for now can think that it will be easier making Team USA than Team Nigeria, especially on the men's side - if your son had real possibilities of making Team USA, it would definitely be a lot more difficult for him to choose Nigeria. As someone else said, it usually comes down to financial & career considerations which is the same reason most of the European-born Nigerians will unfortunate not rep Nigeria if they have any real chances of playing for their European nation...

Is it possible that your son has made Nigeria his first choice because of no realistic chance of representing USA (which is a very wise and pragmatic thing to do and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that)? Canada vs Nigeria might be a more even decision in Track, though if you look at both National Teams you've still got to say it would still be harder for any male Athlete currently to make Canada's sprints team than Nigeria's team. It's only if you consider women's sprints that it would be harder to make Team Nigeria than Canada, but even for the women's sprint, USA is still the 2nd hardest National Team to make (behind Jamaica)...
User avatar
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 11703
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Re: Ethan Nwaneri

Post by wiseone »

I would focus on the areas of the SE that most need strengthening/reinforcement:

I would pick 3 from:

Alaba
Akanji
Tomori
Bazunu
wiseone wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 pm If you could pick only 3 players of Nigerian descent who currently play for other countries, and could get them to switch allegiance to Nigeria, which 3 would you pick? (even if they already played for another country)
User avatar
Damunk
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 49038
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Re: Ethan Nwaneri

Post by Damunk »

azuka wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:38 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:58 pm The way I look at this is that these are British kids, full stop. They aren't Nigerian kids. Social development is important and these are for all intents and purposes, British. He will consider Nigeria only as a distant choice that will be used if and when the door to his first and natural choice closes.
Chief you will be pleasantly surprised that these kids are more Nigerian than you think. I talk from experience with my kids born in diaspora. When I attend their events either in school or sports, these kids with Nigerian heritage tend to gather together and mingle. You need to hear them speak in their pidgin pidgin english.
Azuka, Prof is not willing to give your direct experience a moment’s thought.
I have tried to convince both Prof and Kongi that this thing is more complex than the simple way they see it.
This is our lived experience, especially in the UK.

We HAVE KIDS THAT DO NOT THINK LIKE WE DID AS FIRST GEN IMMIGRANTS.
Here it’s a seismic shift in the politics of identity.
They are as Nigerian as they come and playing for England in no way defines their identity.
That one is strictly BUSINESS.

But you can only preach for so long.

This is ‘Englands’s’ Saka a few days ago.
Trust me, there are more than enough homeless, disabled or abused ‘English’ kids in the UK to swallow their money and take up their time. But he chose Nigeria. No be mistake. No be for show.

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
User avatar
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 10805
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:55 pm
Re: Ethan Nwaneri

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:51 am
bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 pm
wiseone wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 pm If you could pick only 3 players of Nigerian descent who currently play for other countries, and could get them to switch allegiance to Nigeria, which 3 would you pick? (even if they already played for another country)
Saka Alaba, Akanji
I would replace Alaba with the Udinese RB Kingsley Ehizibue. Alaba is still a top player but nearing the end of his career.
Hasn’t Ehizubue already committed to Nigeria❓❗️


Cheers.
User avatar
Damunk
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 49038
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Re: Ethan Nwaneri

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:42 am
Lolly wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:51 am
bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:53 pm
wiseone wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:25 pm If you could pick only 3 players of Nigerian descent who currently play for other countries, and could get them to switch allegiance to Nigeria, which 3 would you pick? (even if they already played for another country)
Saka Alaba, Akanji
I would replace Alaba with the Udinese RB Kingsley Ehizibue. Alaba is still a top player but nearing the end of his career.
Hasn’t Ehizubue already committed to Nigeria❓❗️


Cheers.
He has but e get one kine complicated visa issue like dat.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "

Post Reply