Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Post Reply
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21724
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Enugu II »

As is usually the case with a new manager, the idea is to put one's stamp on the team. Jose Peseiro is already making moves in this regard in several ways. First, it appears that the SE will play far more on the front foot than the team ever did under Gernot Rohr. We have already seen Peseiro attempt to use two strikers. This is a strategy that Gernot Rohr rarely used. This does not mean that it will become a sole approach by the new manager but it signals the likelihood that he will use it far more than his predecessor attempted. This will be good, in my view, considering that Nigeria is more likely to be favored in 60+% percentage of the games that it will play. Thus, it will be favored to cease the initiative in those games.

Image
Beside the change in approach above. Here are coming personnel changes that I anticipate under Peseiro and the signs are already there:

Goalkeeper
This is certainly an area that Peseiro will seek to solidify./ Either he settles on a starter by seeking improvement from one of the current goalkeepers or find another one not currently used. The latter will surely happen. No good manager will currently settle with the performance of our goalkeepers. They either improve or they will be replaced.

Wide Backs
This is a solid position for the Nigerian team currently. However, the Manager may seek to introduce a few other players. Most recently, he started by appearing to favor Ola Aina in one of the positions but if you watched carefully in the last games, he was not impressed given his substitutions and his sideline conversations as the recent games went on. While the conversations were not clear, one can guess that had to do with consistency in defensive positioning while the opponent has the ball. Yes, Aina is really good going forward but there are questions when he defends and it is not just with aerial balls but coverage issues.

Central Defenders'
William Ekong combo with Leon Balogun is now passe. The 'Oyibo Wall' is clearly in the past and it was never a solid wall to begin with. Peseiro has already introduced Caslvin Bassey here and Bassey provided the energy, strength, and assuredity that the "Wall" never provided. The question now is who will be his partner? Of course, Ekong will have his opportunity. He is captain after all. However, a captain can also start from the bench as we saw with Yobo and then Musa. So also will it be for Ekong. Peseiro will surely try Kevin Akpoguma here. If he performs, then he will be the longterm partner for Bassey. Akpoguma had a torrid time with Rohr who tried him as a wide back where the pace in the African game posed serious challenges for Akpoguma, in his few appearances. That will not be the case in the middle.

Midfielders
Obviously Ndidi has been the main stay at the DM position. Those days are numbered given his numerous injuries and unavailability. Peseiro will see him up close for the first time in the coming games. Before now, Peseiro must have sweated while seeking Ndidi's replacement. He tried Aribo in one game and Aribo underwhelmed and was benched in the 10-0 game. Etebo did well subsequently but he is not the long term solution. Etebo's attachment to overly short passes can be frustrating and he has not been playing regularly at the club level. There are, surely, other worthy options.

Alex Iwobi is now the only sure starter further forward in the midfield. This is a position previously occupied by Aribo and atimes Rohr used Iheanacho in the most advanced midfield position behind the main striker with Aribo playing more centrally. That will be Iwobi's from now into the near future i.e. in the central area and the advanced midfield role will be ditched for a second striker.

Wide Midfielders/Forwards.
The wide midfielders are abundant but none can be sure for the long run. Moses Simon has not exactly shown why he should continue to be the long term starter. Chukwueze is injured again and he has not shown why he should be a starter even when available. Thus, Peseiro has opportunity to introduce new faces.

Strikers
Victor Osimhen, like Iwobi in the middle and Bassey in Central defenders, are the sure guys under Peseiro. That is the case, it appears, at the moment. Peseiro will look to find a partner for Osimhen upfront. At the moment, Moffi appears to be the guy and his goals in the 10-0 blowout did not hurt his case. However, that was a blowout against a minor. Moffi must prove that he belongs against more worthy challengers. It starts with these couple friendlies. If not, there are a host of other strikers waiting for the opportunity for this space that was hitherto closed under Rohr but will be open under Peseiro.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 20261
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by danfo driver »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm

Image
Hmmmm... see peseiro leaning towards Finidi and putting his right hand into his right pocked, in order to protect his wallet. He must have heard about the criminal, Salisu. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21724
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm

Image
Hmmmm... see peseiro leaning towards Finidi and putting his right hand into his right pocked, in order to protect his wallet. He must have heard about the criminal, Salisu. :oops:
Danfo,

You don come oooo!!!!! Make you leave the man alone. Naa dis ting wey you see for all pupil wey dey dis foto?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6069
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: Dallas/Houston, TX
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Ugbowo »

I think Jose is still getting to know his players. Nothing surgical happening.....yet
User avatar
Bigpokey24
Eagle
Eagle
Posts: 97632
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Earth
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm

Image
Hmmmm... see peseiro leaning towards Finidi and putting his right hand into his right pocked, in order to protect his wallet. He must have heard about the criminal, Salisu. :oops:
you be reall yeye :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
User avatar
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 51916
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Cellular »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm I think Jose is still getting to know his players. Nothing surgical happening.....yet
I like what I have seen thus far.

He does prefer to dictate the pace...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
OJI
Egg
Egg
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:45 am
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by OJI »

Ugbowo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm I think Jose is still getting to know his players. Nothing surgical happening.....yet
He supposedly has a 1 yr contract that got extended by extra months via CAF's AFCON 2023 schedule changes.
Implied in that contract was he had do something 'remarkable' at the AFCON to remain or move on.

What lessons did we learn from the ROHR era?
Are we supposed to wait till AFCON to judge him? Or use the qualifiers, and friendlies to raise alarm before the ship hits the iceberg?

Given that we will be cleaning the mess left by the previous administration, what is PLAN B?
Abi, na eve of tournament we go start to look for anoda coach or technical director?
User avatar
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 17059
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:51 am
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:01 pm
danfo driver wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm

Image
Hmmmm... see peseiro leaning towards Finidi and putting his right hand into his right pocked, in order to protect his wallet. He must have heard about the criminal, Salisu. :oops:
you be reall yeye :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Amazing how you only write clearly when it's your time to suck off dumbo driver.
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016
-
© The YeyeMan 2022
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 14030
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: seattle
Contact:
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm As is usually the case with a new manager, the idea is to put one's stamp on the team. Jose Peseiro is already making moves in this regard in several ways. First, it appears that the SE will play far more on the front foot than the team ever did under Gernot Rohr. We have already seen Peseiro attempt to use two strikers. This is a strategy that Gernot Rohr rarely used. This does not mean that it will become a sole approach by the new manager but it signals the likelihood that he will use it far more than his predecessor attempted. This will be good, in my view, considering that Nigeria is more likely to be favored in 60+% percentage of the games that it will play. Thus, it will be favored to cease the initiative in those games.

Image
Beside the change in approach above. Here are coming personnel changes that I anticipate under Peseiro and the signs are already there:

Goalkeeper
This is certainly an area that Peseiro will seek to solidify./ Either he settles on a starter by seeking improvement from one of the current goalkeepers or find another one not currently used. The latter will surely happen. No good manager will currently settle with the performance of our goalkeepers. They either improve or they will be replaced.

Wide Backs
This is a solid position for the Nigerian team currently. However, the Manager may seek to introduce a few other players. Most recently, he started by appearing to favor Ola Aina in one of the positions but if you watched carefully in the last games, he was not impressed given his substitutions and his sideline conversations as the recent games went on. While the conversations were not clear, one can guess that had to do with consistency in defensive positioning while the opponent has the ball. Yes, Aina is really good going forward but there are questions when he defends and it is not just with aerial balls but coverage issues.

Central Defenders'
William Ekong combo with Leon Balogun is now passe. The 'Oyibo Wall' is clearly in the past and it was never a solid wall to begin with. Peseiro has already introduced Caslvin Bassey here and Bassey provided the energy, strength, and assuredity that the "Wall" never provided. The question now is who will be his partner? Of course, Ekong will have his opportunity. He is captain after all. However, a captain can also start from the bench as we saw with Yobo and then Musa. So also will it be for Ekong. Peseiro will surely try Kevin Akpoguma here. If he performs, then he will be the longterm partner for Bassey. Akpoguma had a torrid time with Rohr who tried him as a wide back where the pace in the African game posed serious challenges for Akpoguma, in his few appearances. That will not be the case in the middle.

Midfielders
Obviously Ndidi has been the main stay at the DM position. Those days are numbered given his numerous injuries and unavailability. Peseiro will see him up close for the first time in the coming games. Before now, Peseiro must have sweated while seeking Ndidi's replacement. He tried Aribo in one game and Aribo underwhelmed and was benched in the 10-0 game. Etebo did well subsequently but he is not the long term solution. Etebo's attachment to overly short passes can be frustrating and he has not been playing regularly at the club level. There are, surely, other worthy options.

Alex Iwobi is now the only sure starter further forward in the midfield. This is a position previously occupied by Aribo and atimes Rohr used Iheanacho in the most advanced midfield position behind the main striker with Aribo playing more centrally. That will be Iwobi's from now into the near future i.e. in the central area and the advanced midfield role will be ditched for a second striker.

Wide Midfielders/Forwards.
The wide midfielders are abundant but none can be sure for the long run. Moses Simon has not exactly shown why he should continue to be the long term starter. Chukwueze is injured again and he has not shown why he should be a starter even when available. Thus, Peseiro has opportunity to introduce new faces.

Strikers
Victor Osimhen, like Iwobi in the middle and Bassey in Central defenders, are the sure guys under Peseiro. That is the case, it appears, at the moment. Peseiro will look to find a partner for Osimhen upfront. At the moment, Moffi appears to be the guy and his goals in the 10-0 blowout did not hurt his case. However, that was a blowout against a minor. Moffi must prove that he belongs against more worthy challengers. It starts with these couple friendlies. If not, there are a host of other strikers waiting for the opportunity for this space that was hitherto closed under Rohr but will be open under Peseiro.
Noticed You started with goal keeper position and transitioned to other positions where you were specific naming players. Was it by accident that you left the goal keeping position vague.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
User avatar
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 20261
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by danfo driver »

OJI wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm I think Jose is still getting to know his players. Nothing surgical happening.....yet
He supposedly has a 1 yr contract that got extended by extra months via CAF's AFCON 2023 schedule changes.
Implied in that contract was he had do something 'remarkable' at the AFCON to remain or move on.

What lessons did we learn from the ROHR era?
Are we supposed to wait till AFCON to judge him? Or use the qualifiers, and friendlies to raise alarm before the ship hits the iceberg?

Given that we will be cleaning the mess left by the previous administration, what is PLAN B?
Abi, na eve of tournament we go start to look for anoda coach or technical director?
i have no inside information, but my guess is that we are broke. So, we are not in a position to give a long-term contract, which, if terminated, will cost us a huge pay off. :lol: I no blame NFF here at all. Lets be extending the contract by 6 months only, je je . :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6593
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Tobi17 »

danfo driver wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:03 pm
OJI wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm I think Jose is still getting to know his players. Nothing surgical happening.....yet
He supposedly has a 1 yr contract that got extended by extra months via CAF's AFCON 2023 schedule changes.
Implied in that contract was he had do something 'remarkable' at the AFCON to remain or move on.

What lessons did we learn from the ROHR era?
Are we supposed to wait till AFCON to judge him? Or use the qualifiers, and friendlies to raise alarm before the ship hits the iceberg?

Given that we will be cleaning the mess left by the previous administration, what is PLAN B?
Abi, na eve of tournament we go start to look for anoda coach or technical director?
i have no inside information, but my guess is that we are broke. So, we are not in a position to give a long-term contract, which, if terminated, will cost us a huge pay off. :lol: I no blame NFF here at all. Lets be extending the contract by 6 months only, je je . :rotf: :rotf:
Exactly my thoughts, the baseline here is that NFF are flat broke...be like say private sponsorships no dey reason their matter anymore
User avatar
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Posts: 4278
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:49 pm
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by waka-man »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm As is usually the case with a new manager, the idea is to put one's stamp on the team. Jose Peseiro is already making moves in this regard in several ways. First, it appears that the SE will play far more on the front foot than the team ever did under Gernot Rohr. We have already seen Peseiro attempt to use two strikers. This is a strategy that Gernot Rohr rarely used. This does not mean that it will become a sole approach by the new manager but it signals the likelihood that he will use it far more than his predecessor attempted. This will be good, in my view, considering that Nigeria is more likely to be favored in 60+% percentage of the games that it will play. Thus, it will be favored to cease the initiative in those games.

Image
Beside the change in approach above. Here are coming personnel changes that I anticipate under Peseiro and the signs are already there:

Goalkeeper
This is certainly an area that Peseiro will seek to solidify./ Either he settles on a starter by seeking improvement from one of the current goalkeepers or find another one not currently used. The latter will surely happen. No good manager will currently settle with the performance of our goalkeepers. They either improve or they will be replaced.

Wide Backs
This is a solid position for the Nigerian team currently. However, the Manager may seek to introduce a few other players. Most recently, he started by appearing to favor Ola Aina in one of the positions but if you watched carefully in the last games, he was not impressed given his substitutions and his sideline conversations as the recent games went on. While the conversations were not clear, one can guess that had to do with consistency in defensive positioning while the opponent has the ball. Yes, Aina is really good going forward but there are questions when he defends and it is not just with aerial balls but coverage issues.

Central Defenders'
William Ekong combo with Leon Balogun is now passe. The 'Oyibo Wall' is clearly in the past and it was never a solid wall to begin with. Peseiro has already introduced Caslvin Bassey here and Bassey provided the energy, strength, and assuredity that the "Wall" never provided. The question now is who will be his partner? Of course, Ekong will have his opportunity. He is captain after all. However, a captain can also start from the bench as we saw with Yobo and then Musa. So also will it be for Ekong. Peseiro will surely try Kevin Akpoguma here. If he performs, then he will be the longterm partner for Bassey. Akpoguma had a torrid time with Rohr who tried him as a wide back where the pace in the African game posed serious challenges for Akpoguma, in his few appearances. That will not be the case in the middle.

Midfielders
Obviously Ndidi has been the main stay at the DM position. Those days are numbered given his numerous injuries and unavailability. Peseiro will see him up close for the first time in the coming games. Before now, Peseiro must have sweated while seeking Ndidi's replacement. He tried Aribo in one game and Aribo underwhelmed and was benched in the 10-0 game. Etebo did well subsequently but he is not the long term solution. Etebo's attachment to overly short passes can be frustrating and he has not been playing regularly at the club level. There are, surely, other worthy options.

Alex Iwobi is now the only sure starter further forward in the midfield. This is a position previously occupied by Aribo and atimes Rohr used Iheanacho in the most advanced midfield position behind the main striker with Aribo playing more centrally. That will be Iwobi's from now into the near future i.e. in the central area and the advanced midfield role will be ditched for a second striker.

Wide Midfielders/Forwards.
The wide midfielders are abundant but none can be sure for the long run. Moses Simon has not exactly shown why he should continue to be the long term starter. Chukwueze is injured again and he has not shown why he should be a starter even when available. Thus, Peseiro has opportunity to introduce new faces.

Strikers
Victor Osimhen, like Iwobi in the middle and Bassey in Central defenders, are the sure guys under Peseiro. That is the case, it appears, at the moment. Peseiro will look to find a partner for Osimhen upfront. At the moment, Moffi appears to be the guy and his goals in the 10-0 blowout did not hurt his case. However, that was a blowout against a minor. Moffi must prove that he belongs against more worthy challengers. It starts with these couple friendlies. If not, there are a host of other strikers waiting for the opportunity for this space that was hitherto closed under Rohr but will be open under Peseiro.
I’m really not sure what any of this is based on… some poor friendlies and the São Tomé game?
He’s done nothing yet.
Lets see how he gets on against Algeria and what decisions he makes. But from who he has in camp, it’s tough to say he’s making any brisk changes. Looks like more of the same to me.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6593
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Tobi17 »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:11 pm
danfo driver wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:03 pm
OJI wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:35 pm
Ugbowo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm I think Jose is still getting to know his players. Nothing surgical happening.....yet
He supposedly has a 1 yr contract that got extended by extra months via CAF's AFCON 2023 schedule changes.
Implied in that contract was he had do something 'remarkable' at the AFCON to remain or move on.

What lessons did we learn from the ROHR era?
Are we supposed to wait till AFCON to judge him? Or use the qualifiers, and friendlies to raise alarm before the ship hits the iceberg?

Given that we will be cleaning the mess left by the previous administration, what is PLAN B?
Abi, na eve of tournament we go start to look for anoda coach or technical director?
i have no inside information, but my guess is that we are broke. So, we are not in a position to give a long-term contract, which, if terminated, will cost us a huge pay off. :lol: I no blame NFF here at all. Lets be extending the contract by 6 months only, je je . :rotf: :rotf:
Exactly my thoughts, the baseline here is that NFF are flat broke...be like say private sponsorships no dey reason their matter anymore
Based on form, Osimhen, Sadiq and Moffi are top 3 right now, and it's clear Peseiro sees this trio as his main guys in attack.
User avatar
Bigpokey24
Eagle
Eagle
Posts: 97632
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Earth
Re: Jose PESEIRO Changing SE Briskly......

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:47 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:01 pm
danfo driver wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm

Image
Hmmmm... see peseiro leaning towards Finidi and putting his right hand into his right pocked, in order to protect his wallet. He must have heard about the criminal, Salisu. :oops:
you be reall yeye :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Amazing how you only write clearly when it's your time to suck off dumbo driver.
Wow...what's up with the gay talk. I am a child of the most high and I rebuke such evil words from your mouth in the mighty name of Yeshua. The devil is a liar. We rebuke such thoughts from your mouth
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved

Post Reply