We need Goalkeepers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
We need Goalkeepers

Post by Bigpokey24 »

This is a massive issue. We failed to perform in Cameroon because of goal keeping and failed to qualify because of that as well. We can see the previous coach **** was very lazy and never fixed that issue for 6 years.

We used to have reliable and quality goalies from Okala to Vince. Today I just smh when I see the likes of Akpeyi, Uzoho and Okoye . We don suffer

If we fail to find a solid goalie , I will be withdrawing our chances of winning the next 2 Afcons
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
return2k2
Egg
Egg
Re: We need Goalkeepers

Post by return2k2 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:00 am This is a massive issue. We failed to perform in Cameroon because of goal keeping and failed to qualify because of that as well. We can see the previous coach **** was very lazy and never fixed that issue for 6 years.

We used to have reliable and quality goalies from Okala to Vince. Today I just smh when I see the likes of Akpeyi, Uzoho and Okoye . We don suffer

If we fail to find a solid goalie , I will be withdrawing our chances of winning the next 2 Afcons
Bro, you ain't lying for real!!

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

So you are now ranking a goal keeping blunder in a world cup qualifying game to a useless test game that did what it supposed to do. Fire brigade Nigerians
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Let’s give a chance to Adebayo Adeleye.
Adewale Adeyinka is another choice.
And don’t forget that there is also Sebastian Osigwe
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What I don't understand about some Nigerians is why they would know fully well that a player is subpar and still suggest him for the National team.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

1naija wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:28 pm What I don't understand about some Nigerians is why they would know fully well that a player is subpar and still suggest him for the National team.
Who should i suggest?
Manuel Neuer and Lev Yashin aren’t eligible to play for Nigeria.😛
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

1naija wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:28 pm What I don't understand about some Nigerians is why they would know fully well that a player is subpar and still suggest him for the National team.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am happy
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I know right. You have always championed the invitation of sh!!t players like Akpeyi, Yobo and Noble. How do you sleep at night? :veryangry: :curse:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:11 am
I know right. You have always championed the invitation of sh!!t players like Akpeyi, Yobo and Noble. How do you sleep at night? :veryangry: :curse:
If football had a Hague court where football terrorist are tried, 1naija will be top on my list for his crimes against Nigerian football, no real fan of the SE will promote the likes of Akpeyi on any basis.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:27 am
If football had a Hague court where football terrorist are tried, 1naija will be top on my list for his crimes against Nigerian football, no real fan of the SE will promote the likes of Akpeyi on any basis.
I forgot about George Abbey aka Sully Muntari's sidepiece after the Brentford Massacre. Useless FB that 1Naija used to hype here despite playing in the English 4th division. 1Naija is a criminal Agent. :curse:

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:33 am
I forgot about George Abbey aka Sully Muntari's sidepiece after the Brentford Massacre. Useless FB that 1Naija used to hype here despite playing in the English 4th division. 1Naija is a criminal Agent. :curse:
Shatap Dia Boi. You're supposed to show up here with a notepad and crayons to take notes when men are talking who dash u mouthpiece here sef ? Oloshi.
OCCUPY NFF!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:49 am
bret- hart wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:33 am
Shatap Dia Boi. You're supposed to show up here with a notepad and crayons to take notes when men are talking who dash u mouthpiece here sef ? Oloshi.
Im sorry i dont interact and feed chimpanzees and Bonobos. When i am interested in understand your grunts I will consult Jane Goodall. She is a world renowned expert when it comes to studying and understanding your kind.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pindal123 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:34 pm
Who should i suggest?
Manuel Neuer and Lev Yashin aren’t eligible to play for Nigeria.😛
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Well said.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Carl Ikeme was the last goalkeeper that Nigeria had that instilled any confidence in the defense and fans. Now we have inferior goalkeepers. We keep waiting for this crop of goalies to be consistently good and inspire confidence. Maybe they would do it closer to their very late 20s but that is based on hope. It is important to start looking for alternatives. I just do not believe that in a country like Nigeria with vast footballing talent that we cannot find one or two. Years ago we were spoiled by Enyeama, Ejide, Aiyenugba featuring at same period and now none!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:41 pm Carl Ikeme was the last goalkeeper that Nigeria had that instilled any confidence in the defense and fans. Now we have inferior goalkeepers. We keep waiting for this crop of goalies to be consistently good and inspire confidence. Maybe they would do it closer to their very late 20s but that is based on hope. It is important to start looking for alternatives. I just do not believe that in a country like Nigeria with vast footballing talent that we cannot find one or two. Years ago we were spoiled by Enyeama, Ejide, Aiyenugba featuring at same period and now none!
Prof, to use your own famous phrase, "ask yourself..."

Why can't Nigeria with its vast talent find top class track and field athletes IN NIGERIA?
Why can't Nigeria with its vast talent find top class boxers IN NIGERIA?
Why can't Nigeria with its vast talent and numerous rivers and creeks find top class swimmers IN NIGERIA?
Hell, why can't Nigeria with its vast talent find top class doctors, engineers, actors, researchers, journalists and above all, leaders IN NIGERIA?
By 'top class', I am referring to individuals who can develop award-winning performances on the international stage Straight Outta Naija.

Like Fela famously said, "Add am together, show me the answer" :idea:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:29 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:41 pm Carl Ikeme was the last goalkeeper that Nigeria had that instilled any confidence in the defense and fans. Now we have inferior goalkeepers. We keep waiting for this crop of goalies to be consistently good and inspire confidence. Maybe they would do it closer to their very late 20s but that is based on hope. It is important to start looking for alternatives. I just do not believe that in a country like Nigeria with vast footballing talent that we cannot find one or two. Years ago we were spoiled by Enyeama, Ejide, Aiyenugba featuring at same period and now none!

Why can't Nigeria with its vast talent find top class track and field athletes IN NIGERIA?
Why can't Nigeria with its vast talent and numerous rivers and creeks find top class swimmers IN NIGERIA?
Hell, why can't Nigeria with its vast talent find top class doctors, engineers, actors, researchers, journalists and above all, leaders IN NIGERIA?
By 'top class', I am referring to individuals who can develop award-winning performances on the international stage Straight Outta Naija.

Unfortunately, the examples that you give do not follow. In football, a huge number of Nigerians play the game. That is the difference. Just an example, how many Nigerians are competitive swimmers inspite of the population? If you simply think I am writing on population, then you missed the point. You might as well ask why China or India have not won the World Cup inspite of their huge populations. The point is that football is different for Nigerians compared to track and field or swimming that you point to. There is a difference.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:29 pm

Unfortunately, the examples that you give do not follow. In football, a huge number of Nigerians play the game. That is the difference. Just an example, how many Nigerians are competitive swimmers inspite of the population? If you simply think I am writing on population, then you missed the point. You might as well ask why China or India have not won the World Cup inspite of their huge populations. The point is that football is different for Nigerians compared to track and field or swimming that you point to. There is a difference.
Prof, I might even concede swimming, only because it is probably a way of life limited to certain parts of Nigeria (maybe 'just' 20 million people).
But track and field? :D
Kids run and jump long before they ever kick a ball all over the world. There are definitely more kids running and jumping in Nigeria than there are kids kicking balls.

No, I am not using "population size" if you are not using it. I am using the term "vast talent" in exactly the same way you have used it to describe football. That's why I was careful to use your very own wording. But it's a little odd that you still found it pertinent to ask me "how many" competitive swimmers there are in Naija! :taunt:

So the question to you Prof still remains, why do you think we can't find top class performers in those other areas of endeavour I mentioned?
I know you know its a loaded question and I will be surprised if you give a straight answer.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

India and China should be world champs, what a fallacy rant from we all know who.. pathetic.. Them say learn how to think critically person dey run trash thoughts open mouth gbam gbam
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:14 am
Enugu II wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:29 pm

Prof, I might even concede swimming, only because it is probably a way of life limited to certain parts of Nigeria (maybe 'just' 20 million people).
But track and field? :D
Kids run and jump long before they ever kick a ball all over the world. There are definitely more kids running and jumping in Nigeria than there are kids kicking balls.

No, I am not using "population size" if you are not using it. I am using the term "vast talent" in exactly the same way you have used it to describe football. That's why I was careful to use your very own wording. But it's a little odd that you still found it pertinent to ask me "how many" competitive swimmers there are in Naija! :taunt:

So the question to you Prof still remains, why do you think we can't find top class performers in those other areas of endeavour I mentioned?
I know you know its a loaded question and I will be surprised if you give a straight answer.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Well, if running around as a 4 year old kid constitutes athletic running are there not runners in China and India or those kids do not run? Maybe you can also wonder why China and India fail to produce world's best wrestlers or boxers given their population and the fact that such population engage in fights at home? Not so?

The point is that your statistical base is erroneous and should focus on those who engage competitively in those sports. What you fail to note as that football is played widely and competitively by a huge number of Nigerians and that is the difference. This happens from schools. That is not the case with either running or swimming. If you note the difference between Nigeria and Egypt's performance in swimming lies in that basic fact of number who participate in competitive swimming and not some girls and boys swimming in a local pond. In football, number of Nigerians engaged in competitive football is enormous and that difference should be noted. Do not compare that to any other sport.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 am Well, if running around as a 4 year old kid constitutes athletic running are there not runners in China and India or those kids do not run? Maybe you can also wonder why China and India fail to produce world's best wrestlers or boxers given their population and the fact that such population engage in fights at home? Not so?

The point is that your statistical base is erroneous and should focus on those who engage competitively in those sports. What you fail to note as that football is played widely and competitively by a huge number of Nigerians and that is the difference. This happens from schools. That is not the case with either running or swimming. If you note the difference between Nigeria and Egypt's performance in swimming lies in that basic fact of number who participate in competitive swimming and not some girls and boys swimming in a local pond. In football, number of Nigerians engaged in competitive football is enormous and that difference should be noted. Do not compare that to any other sport.
Prof, it still comes down to the same thing - facilities, training, talent development. - which was my original point and why athletes, swimmers, boxers etc were brought up.
You brought up numbers and I am simply following your lead. Those sports also have enough numbers to produce - but that’s another debate.
You asked why, with the “vast talent” we have in Nigeria we are not able to identify top goalkeepers that can readily step into the SE. In fact, several of them. Like you are suggesting, we actually do have the sheer numbers.
So what is the problem?
Poor scouting?
Biases, based on?
A poor NFF?
Some grand conspiracy to keep the best keepers away from the SE, out of sight even?

These sound too far-fetched to explain the GK mystery because that is what it’s sounding like - a big mystery.
Everyone has an opinion and every commentator with a keyboard keeps insisting that even when local keepers are invited “they are not the best in the league”.
Akpeyi is not the best.
Ezenwa is not the best
Afekholai, Thomas, Noble….
Okay nah, mention the better keepers’ names - wahala. It’s now a joke. :rotf:

This Big Goalkeeping Mystery defies local coaches and foreigners alike. They all seem affected by it or are even part of it. The keepers “are there” according to the numerous all-knowing armchair coaches, but for some reason they just can’t be found by anyone else.
That’s really funny.

Maybe, just maybe, Nigeria isn’t particularly blessed with great goalkeepers. Because for starters, for several generations it has never been fashionable to be the keeper. Just like in Brazil actually. For all their over-abundance of world class out-field players, they have not produced world class goalkeepers in equal proportion. Only relatively recently have they started delivering in that department.

So let’s not keep on insisting “they must exist” in Nigeria.
Why must they exist if the whole structure does not exist and the culture isn’t exactly encouraging? Just like it doesn’t exist for swimmers, or track athletes. Na beans? We can’t just wish them into existence bro!

Saying “I can’t believe they can’t find a top level GK in the whole of Nigeria” means nothing. Personally, I can believe it, for the same reason I can believe why we don’t have elite athletes, boxers etc popping up regularly straight outta Naija.

And that’s why we are looking beyond the borders and finding players that the coaches - in their evil participation in this ever-present grand conspiracy - are fielding ‘useless’ foreign-born or foreign-based goalkeepers like Okoye, Uzoho and Adeleye. They even tried Alampasu again at one point.
The exact same empty argument applies to local coaches. Every time we hear “they exist” in Nigeria. With no facilities, structure and training options? Our new DNQ status is a testament to their skills overflowing in the country.

The point is people need to come up with better reasons and stop avoiding the elephant in the room. Let’s for instance look at our grassroots football culture of things like ‘monkey posts” and even the ‘choosing’ system in which the most ‘useless’ boys get chosen to be put in goal. It is not unimaginable that we actually have a lopsided system that produces average and below average keepers with the occasional gem like Enyeama moving up to the top - and then of course, inevitably moving out.

People talk as if nobody but the faceless fans are willing and able to spot a truly exceptional goalkeeper for club and country. Nigeria should be producing them aplenty, not just in dribs and drabs. And with no argument.
Why is this not happening?
Because nobody knows how to recruit goalkeepers in Nigeria?
Or, as appears to be the only logical explanation, because like nocturnal animals they go into hiding when the coaches come knocking? :rotf:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:00 am This is a massive issue. We failed to perform in Cameroon because of goal keeping and failed to qualify because of that as well. We can see the previous coach **** was very lazy and never fixed that issue for 6 years.

Except those who are/were unrealistic about our goalkeeping issue, I believe everyone knew of this long ago, including our opponents
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:50 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 am Well, if running around as a 4 year old kid constitutes athletic running are there not runners in China and India or those kids do not run? Maybe you can also wonder why China and India fail to produce world's best wrestlers or boxers given their population and the fact that such population engage in fights at home? Not so?

Prof, it still comes down to the same thing - facilities, training, talent development. - which was my original point and why athletes, swimmers, boxers etc were brought up.
You brought up numbers and I am simply following your lead. Those sports also have enough numbers to produce - but that’s another debate.
You asked why, with the “vast talent” we have in Nigeria we are not able to identify top goalkeepers that can readily step into the SE. In fact, several of them. Like you are suggesting, we actually do have the sheer numbers.
So what is the problem?
Poor scouting?
Biases, based on?
A poor NFF?
Some grand conspiracy to keep the best keepers away from the SE, out of sight even?

These sound too far-fetched to explain the GK mystery because that is what it’s sounding like - a big mystery.
Everyone has an opinion and every commentator with a keyboard keeps insisting that even when local keepers are invited “they are not the best in the league”.
Akpeyi is not the best.
Ezenwa is not the best
Afekholai, Thomas, Noble….
Okay nah, mention the better keepers’ names - wahala. It’s now a joke. :rotf:

This Big Goalkeeping Mystery defies local coaches and foreigners alike. They all seem affected by it or are even part of it. The keepers “are there” according to the numerous all-knowing armchair coaches, but for some reason they just can’t be found by anyone else.
That’s really funny.

Maybe, just maybe, Nigeria isn’t particularly blessed with great goalkeepers. Because for starters, for several generations it has never been fashionable to be the keeper. Just like in Brazil actually. For all their over-abundance of world class out-field players, they have not produced world class goalkeepers in equal proportion. Only relatively recently have they started delivering in that department.

So let’s not keep on insisting “they must exist” in Nigeria.
Why must they exist if the whole structure does not exist and the culture isn’t exactly encouraging? Just like it doesn’t exist for swimmers, or track athletes. Na beans? We can’t just wish them into existence bro!

Saying “I can’t believe they can’t find a top level GK in the whole of Nigeria” means nothing. Personally, I can believe it, for the same reason I can believe why we don’t have elite athletes, boxers etc popping up regularly straight outta Naija.

And that’s why we are looking beyond the borders and finding players that the coaches - in their evil participation in this ever-present grand conspiracy - are fielding ‘useless’ foreign-born or foreign-based goalkeepers like Okoye, Uzoho and Adeleye. They even tried Alampasu again at one point.
The exact same empty argument applies to local coaches. Every time we hear “they exist” in Nigeria. With no facilities, structure and training options? Our new DNQ status is a testament to their skills overflowing in the country.

The point is people need to come up with better reasons and stop avoiding the elephant in the room. Let’s for instance look at our grassroots football culture of things like ‘monkey posts” and even the ‘choosing’ system in which the most ‘useless’ boys get chosen to be put in goal. It is not unimaginable that we actually have a lopsided system that produces average and below average keepers with the occasional gem like Enyeama moving up to the top - and then of course, inevitably moving out.

People talk as if nobody but the faceless fans are willing and able to spot a truly exceptional goalkeeper for club and country. Nigeria should be producing them aplenty, not just in dribs and drabs. And with no argument.
Why is this not happening?
Because nobody knows how to recruit goalkeepers in Nigeria?
Or, as appears to be the only logical explanation, because like nocturnal animals they go into hiding when the coaches come knocking? :rotf:
Damunk,

One thing I agree with you is that there is a scouting problem. You are not the first to mention it and hopefully you will be among the last to do so, if things are improved.

Who are those who previously mentioned it? Well, I know you are aware that Gernot Rohr and his London scout mentioned it by noting the lack of data. :rotf: :rotf: Yet, it does not mean that the talent is not there. It simply means that those who are charged to find the talent are unable to do so for whatever reasons, including the data (but not excluding all else) excuse. Yet it does not deny the talent.

Now why do I state about the high probability of talent? We have seen that those who have taken the time to scout wide in Nigeria (I realize the challenge of the wide Nigerian geography!) have found this talent. Late Yemi Tella and then Garba Manu have pointed the way for us and subsequently others followed suit and found the talent. It is there. It is a matter of who is willing to do the work. Now you may argue that, at the SE level, we should not be scouting all over. They should be in the top clubs? If so, I remind you that Maduka Okoye was found by Gernot Rohr scouting semi-pros in Europe! So, if we agree that Gernot Rohr was correct that there is a dearth of good goalies and that justified scouting semi-pros, so why not do the above given what Tella and others did? Just a thought?

In any case, let me be clear that I do not restrict any search for a worthy goalkeepers to those based in Nigeria. I believe that there are also eligible goalkeepers playing outside the country. The main idea, is that we need good goalkeepers and I remain unconvinced that they are unavailable. I will be convinced if and when a competent scouting agendum has been implemented. Only then.....
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Sunset wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:45 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:41 pm
Sunset wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:10 pm
Sunset wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:48 am
Sunset wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:12 am
Enugu II wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:49 pm Well, there is something that this goalie does that our current NT goalies are unable to do --- long range distribution that endangers the opponent and he appears quite accurate doing so with hands!! That is definitely welcomed and amazing. Neither Okoye nor Uzoho have been able to do this.
That is definitely the standout aspect of his game, he also built quite the reputation at away venues in the NPFL where he seemed to master the dark arts with his "antics", the jury's still out on him IMO but he does have all the aspects I'd want to see in a Keeper and the South Africans love a Keeper that can distribute the ball

Anotger big penalty save by Nwabali this time at injury time in the PSL :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nwabali with his 3rd clean sheet (5 apps) of the 23/24 season so far. They have a big game today vs Olisa Ndah's Orlando Pirates
Stanley Nwabali is having a breakthrough season in the South African League so far as he gets yet another clean sheet & assists the match winner :clap: :clap: :clap: