EKONG Leaves Camp 'cause of injury....Peseiro's "new CD Pairing to Start in Earnest"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
EKONG Leaves Camp 'cause of injury....Peseiro's "new CD Pairing to Start in Earnest"

Post by Enugu II »

Skipper William Ekong was injured in the training camp game and is out.....I believe (Speculative) that the SE team that started the game on the bench against Algeria B is the reserve team temporarily. The next game will mostly feature those who came in as substitutes. Thus, we are likely to see the experimental centre back pairing of Bassey and Akpoguma that I speculated about in my post a few days ago. Read here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=309926

SUPER EAGLES Nigeria dealt another blow as Peseiro loses defender to injury ahead of Algeria clash
https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/su ... sh/5h1pfy0
JIDECHI CHIDIEZIE
September 24, 2022 10:00 PM

The Super Eagles were already battling with the challenge of facing Algeria without key players like Wilfred Ndidi, Ahmed Musa, Samuel Chukwueze, and Victor Osimhen.

Super Eagles defender William Troost-Ekong has been ruled of Nigeria's anticipated international friendly with Algeria due to an injury.

The centre-back was reported to have left camp on Saturday as a result of an injury he cropped during Nigeria's test game with Algeria's team B on Friday.

The test game on Friday, saw second-half goals from Alex Iwobi and Cyriel Dessers help Nigeria bounce back, to earn a 2-2 draw with Algeria's team B.

Ekong becomes the sixth casualty for Jose Peseiro since the announcement of the squad for the September 27th friendly. He will head back to his base in England for further checks.

His pull out from the game due to an injury follows earlier withdrawals by Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi, captain Ahmed Musa, Villarreal's Samuel Chukwueze, QPR star Leon Balogun, Henry Onyekuru, and Emmanuel Dennis.

The Super Eagles will also be facing the 2019 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) champions without high-flying strikers Victor Osimhen and Umar Sadiq.[/url]
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EKONG Leaves Camp 'cause of injury....Peseiro's "new CD Pairing to Start in Earnest"

Post by jette1 »

get well soon captain; danfo go go strip joint on hearing the news
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EKONG Leaves Camp 'cause of injury....Peseiro's "new CD Pairing to Start in Earnest"

Post by Dammy »

He knew he was going to be on the bench for Tuesday's match.
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Dammy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:58 pm He knew he was going to be on the bench for Tuesday's match.
Times they are a changing. No reason for Pesseiro to invest in Ekong and no reason for Ekong to invest in SE any longer. It's a mutual goodbye perhaps. Time will tell.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:59 am
Dammy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:58 pm He knew he was going to be on the bench for Tuesday's match.
Times they are a changing. No reason for Pesseiro to invest in Ekong and no reason for Ekong to invest in SE any longer. It's a mutual goodbye perhaps. Time will tell.
You guys are something else, I remember someone even tried to blame Ekong for the Algeria goals before the highlights came out and it was Okoye and Bassey causing the goals...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:10 am
You guys are something else, I remember someone even tried to blame Ekong for the Algeria goals before the highlights came out and it was Okoye and Bassey causing the goals...
Bassey is still young, playing at the best level of his career and has more than enough time to improve so it's perfectly understandable if he makes mistakes ..same can't be said for Ekong who is just way off form, benchwarming at a championship level club is a sign that retirement football beckons to you
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:20 am
Bassey is still young, playing at the best level of his career and has more than enough time to improve so it's perfectly understandable if he makes mistakes ..same can't be said for Ekong who is just way off form, benchwarming at a championship level club is a sign that retirement football beckons to you
Ekong is on a fast decline and I doubt he can reverse it.
And he’s not even old.
We keep getting stuck with captains that are way past their bedtimes.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:18 am
And he’s not even old.
Doc, Ekong just needs some regular football at a decent level and he would be back in the reckoning. You don’t throw away such an experienced central defender who is not even 30 yet. Central defenders can still play international well into their mid 30s.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

For those bashing our goalkeepers and central defenders, how many goals on average have we let in over the last 4 years?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

He shouldn't have been invited because of his club situation. Peseiro needs to send a strong message to the players that club performances will influence national team invitations.
He seems to be comfortable with his situation at Watford and I was hoping he would jump at Bologna's offer but it didn't work out. Bologna are still in the market for a CD, and I hope interest can be revived in January.
With the absence of both Musa and Ekong, who captains the SE against Algeria on Tuesday?
I am happy
MAIDABOI
Egg
Egg

Post by MAIDABOI »

Dammy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:02 am He shouldn't have been invited because of his club situation. Peseiro needs to send a strong message to the players that club performances will influence national team invitations.
He seems to be comfortable with his situation at Watford and I was hoping he would jump at Bologna's offer but it didn't work out. Bologna are still in the market for a CD, and I hope interest can be revived in January.
With the absence of both Musa and Ekong, who captains the SE against Algeria on Tuesday?
Simon or Iwobi
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:14 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:18 am
And he’s not even old.
Doc, Ekong just needs some regular football at a decent level and he would be back in the reckoning. You don’t throw away such an experienced central defender who is not even 30 yet. Central defenders can still play international well into their mid 30s.
I know Ekong is experienced but if he’s not getting regular game time there’s a reason. It’s not because he’s being discriminated against. It’s not as if he’s at Chelsea or Man City or Real. The same applies to Musa.
They’ve peaked early and haven’t sustained their performances at that level.
Bottom line, we need better CDs, but until we find them, we just have to manage.

Can’t understand why Ozone and Ndah haven’t stepped up yet.
I’m not sold on Omeruo either and he even gets regular playing time.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:02 am He shouldn't have been invited because of his club situation. Peseiro needs to send a strong message to the players that club performances will influence national team invitations.
Probably Omeruo, another so-so CD that really seems to have peaked and entered decline mode.
Next up should be Iwobi since Ndidi is off injured.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

MAIDABOI wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:26 am
Simon or Iwobi
True, I forgot Simon.