Breaking: Mikel retires from football

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Breaking: Mikel retires from football

Post by iworo »

After two Premier Leagues, one Champions League, and one Nations Cup trophy, Mikel Obi calls it quits at 35

The former Chelsea star has made his mark, and he believes it is time to hang his boots

Former Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi has officially announced his retirement from football after an illustrious seventeen-year career.

Mikel burst onto the scene at the 2005 Under-20 World Cup where he led Nigeria to a second-place finish and was only second-best to the Magisterial Argentine – Lionel Messi in the competition.

The Nigerian midfielder sealed a move to Chelsea in 2006 in an interesting transfer triangle between the Londoners and Manchester United.

Mikel spent eleven years in Chelsea, winning one Champions League, two Premier Leagues, one Europa League, one English Super Cup, two League Cups, and four FA Cup trophies.

After his illustrious time at Chelsea, Mikel had stints at Tianjin Teda, Middlesbrough, Trabzonspor, Stoke City, and Kuwait SC.
Mikel has also enjoyed success with Nigeria. The 35-year-old has 89 caps for the Super Eagles. He played an important role in the Super Eagles’ 2013 Africa Cup of Nations triumph.

The former Chelsea man also qualified and played in three World Cups for Nigeria before his international retirement in 2019.

Mikel has been without a club since November last year. Well, he has now decided to officially hang his playing boots, as he penned a heartfelt message on his Instagram page.

“There is a saying that “all good things must come to an end”, and for my professional football career, that day is today.

“I look back at the past 20 years of my career, and I must say that I am very satisfied with all that I was able to achieve and more importantly the human it has helped shape.

“All of this would not have been possible without the unwavering support of my family, managers, clubs, coaches, teammates and most importantly my ever-loyal fans.

“You supported me through my highs and lows, even on days that I did not live up to your expectations. I say a big thank you.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/09/after-two- ... at-35.html
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Breaking: Mikel retires from football

Post by waka-man »

Great servant.
He qualified for 3 WCs, but only played in 2.
In a weak group in 2010, Mikel’s presence would have probably seen us out of the group stages. Etuhu and Haruna are not quite in the same planet as the most decorated Nigerian footballer in history.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

The Best player ever to come out of Nigeria
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

jette1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:15 pm The Best player ever to come out of Nigeria
I don't know about that :wink: :D.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

A good servant for his country. Mad respect. I thought he had retired though. So it came to me as a surprise that he was retiring
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Great servant and captain enjoy your retirement…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

best ever product from Nigeria , no footballer comes close . from a boywonder to a living legend . Odiogu enjoy retirement
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

A GREAT ONE FOR THE AGES. THISZ GUY PLAYED LIKE HE HAD EYES AT THE BACK OF HIS HEAD. I saw him play as a U-20 player delivering long range passes and I thought he was just making clearances and only realized that they were passes when, time after time, he found his team mate.

In my view, a talent like this is and will be difficult to come by. Memories of him will live forever. Bet on it!!!!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Thank you for the memories. You served your nation well. May the Lord bless you with long life and divine health, so you can enjoy your retirement with your family.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:05 pm best ever product from Nigeria , no footballer comes close . from a boywonder to a living legend . Odiogu enjoy retirement
2nd best. Skill for skill, Okocha was better; not taking anything away from Mikel though. He had an awesome career. I hope he enjoys his retirement. It is thoroughly well deserved❗️

Cheers.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Very good player, was a pleasure to watch him play. Happy retirement.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Great player. Winner. Versatile. Patriot. Hope a testimonial is in the works
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:15 pm The Best player ever to come out of Nigeria
Hmm, well I don't know about that.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:05 pm best ever product from Nigeria , no footballer comes close . from a boywonder to a living legend . Odiogu enjoy retirement
Bigpokey24,

I am not surprised you are heaping these praises on Mikel, but to say no footballer comes close is incorrect
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Chei it feels like yesterday when I watched a young skinny Mikel in the 2005 U20 world cup qualifiers and tournament proper...he looked skinny yet deceptively strong, silky on the ball and had one of the best football IQs you will find.. Mikel in his prime was simply a specimen of football grace itself. Happy retirement legend.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...retires? hmm, I thought he retired years ago.
I guess when a player leaves the lime light, and we don't talk about him anymore, one forgets.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

mcal wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:04 am ...retires? hmm, I thought he retired years ago.
I guess when a player leaves the lime light, and we don't talk about him anymore, one forgets.
He retired from international football in 2019 but now has hung up his boots on football altogether. Great servant, special player! I wish all the best in his furure endeavours.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Thanks for the memories. Legend.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I thoroughly enjoyed his involvement in the SE. The best thing about Mikel is you always knew what you were getting. One of the most consistent footballers of all time.

There was never any discussion of if Mikel performed or if he didn't. Mikel was always just Mikel. Day in and day out. With the others you would worry (Enyeama exempted), with Mikel, you were assured.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

A great servant to the Super Eagles and an exemplary professional.

Mikel Obi should be celebrated.

Congrats on a great career.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

iworo wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:24 pm
I don't know about that :wink: :D.
wont hold it against you

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Odas wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:07 am
Hmm, well I don't know about that.
wont hold it against

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved