10 observations I would like to make after this match

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
10 observations I would like to make after this match

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] First of all, we were never going to win this high intensity game with that nonsensical 4-2-4 formation. Jose Peseiro handed the initiative to the Algerians the moment, he played Ademola Lookman and Moses Simon in wide positions, rather than uptop astride a central striker

[2] Likewise, this senseless formation meant that Alex Iwobi was playing deep alongside Onyeka rather than as a playmaker in the last third where he could really hurt the Algerians

[3] Now, to the players themselves, I did not see enough character in this team. Our boys lost virtually every second ball in this match and did not win enough tackles for me

[4] In front of goal too, we had about half a dozen chances to equalise, especially on the counter-attack. Did you not notice that our boys simply lacked the conviction when a little bit of belief was all that was required in front of the Algerian goal

[5] Now, let us look at individual errors. I will start with Francis Uzoho who you will all no doubt crucify today. He got beaten from about 40 yards and not for the first time. What we now know is that he struggles to move his feet. Basic goalkeeping training involves goalkeepers shuffling along their goal line annd only diving when necessary. Peseiro simply has to begin the search for a new goalkeeper as Maduka Okoye is not much better either

[6] In the fullback positions, Ola Aina is playing like Xavier Zanetti. I can see him hitting world class before the end of his career. However, on the left, I fail to see what Zaidu Sanusi brings to the table. Offensively, he offers zero threat, so the race to find a new leftback must start now

[7] In the heart of the defence, I am not convinced about Kevin Akpoguma. He gets beaten too easily and was at blame for the first goal after he allowed his man to turn and shoot. Given that the likes of Balogun, Ekong, Awaziem, Omeruo and Ozornwafor are not any better, Peseiro has his work cut out here too. Rather than bring back all these second division defenders, he needs to look at Atalanta's Caleb Okoli and Fulham's Tosin Adarabioyo

[8] I liked the strength of Calvin Bassey but see him as a player for two years time. For now, our defence simply has to be built around Bassey. He reminds me of the Taribo West of 1994. No doubts, playing at Ajax will soon turn him into a polished gem, the way Auxerre got rid of Taribo's rough edges

[9] One thing that frustrated me in this game was the way our boys gave the ball away so easily. At no stage during the match did we string 10 passes together or keep possession for say five minutes. This team lacks ball holders, who are key if you want to deny the opposition by keeping possession

[10] Now, some may question the refereeing decisions which went against us and the fact the referee appeared intimidated by a huge hostile crowd (The stadium was packed to the rafters) but you will always get that in big games. In the past, such antics have never bothered us, so we cannot use that as an excuse. At this same Oran stadium in 2005, we beat Algeria 5-2. In that game, we fielded class players like Obodo, Martins, Utaka, Ayila, Oruma, etc, who made it difficult for the Algerians to get hold of the ball. We need that kind of talent if we want to start beating the likes of Algeria again.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: 10 observations I would like to make after this match

Post by Bigpokey24 »

good points Ayo, I think this team will come good, we need to find players that complements what the coach is trying to build
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Spot on with the 10 observations. Kevin and sanusi based on todays match are not it.Great stuff
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

That 4-4-2 formation from the get go did it in for me! Was expecting him to play a 3-4-3 or a compact 3-5-2 because the Algerians were going press & we needed to do the same.
Anyways it's just a friendly
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

This 4-3-3 line-up would probably have drawn the game:

Uzoho

Aina
Sanusi
Akpoguma
Bassey

Onyeka
Onyeadikachi
Iwobi

Lookman
Awoniyi
Simon
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

fledy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:43 pm That 4-4-2 formation from the get go did it in for me! Was expecting him to play a 3-4-3 or a compact 3-5-2 because the Algerians were going press & we needed to do the same.
Anyways it's just a friendly
This is the man’s 3rd friendly and he has stuck to the same 4-4-2 or the crazy 5-3-2 he started with in his first game in charge.

I am really worried. If we can see it, why can’t the coaching crew see it too?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ayo, you need to get off this formation crap. For starters, it was a 4-4-2, not a 4-2-4. Our wide and forward players don’t press the ball. With that type of disposition, we’d be even more vulnerable in a 4-3-3. We lost because:

1) We didn’t come to play

2) Our defensive and goal keeping positions need a complete overhaul

3) The officials were paid to ensure that we lost. The calls were very uneven. Ademola’s goal should have stood

The above is a very honest view of the game❗️

Cheers.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Algeria is a good team. Let's give them some credit. I agree with you though that it would have been helpful to have an extra man in midfield. We also needed to press higher a bit, we allowed the Algerians too much time on the ball and sat too deep for large spells of the game.

I see improvements. I think we need to be patient. The results will come.
Last edited by olu on Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:11 pm Ayo, you need to get off this formation crap. For starters, it was a 4-4-2, not a 4-2-4. Our wide and forward players don’t press the ball. With that type of disposition, we’d be even more vulnerable in a 4-3-3. We lost because:

1) We didn’t come to play

2) Our defensive and goal keeping positions need a complete overhaul

3) The officials were paid to ensure that we lost. The calls were very uneven. Ademola’s goal should have stood

The above is a very honest view of the game❗️

Cheers.

Ayo sure lives in his own world. As you noted correctly, it was a 4-4-2 and varied to a 4-4-1-1.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:20 pm [1] First of all, we were never going to win this high intensity game with that nonsensical 4-2-4 formation. Jose Peseiro handed the initiative to the Algerians the moment, he played Ademola Lookman and Moses Simon in wide positions, rather than uptop astride a central striker

[2] Likewise, this senseless formation meant that Alex Iwobi was playing deep alongside Onyeka rather than as a playmaker in the last third where he could really hurt the Algerians

[3] Now, to the players themselves, I did not see enough character in this team. Our boys lost virtually every second ball in this match and did not win enough tackles for me

[4] In front of goal too, we had about half a dozen chances to equalise, especially on the counter-attack. Did you not notice that our boys simply lacked the conviction when a little bit of belief was all that was required in front of the Algerian goal

[5] Now, let us look at individual errors. I will start with Francis Uzoho who you will all no doubt crucify today. He got beaten from about 40 yards and not for the first time. What we now know is that he struggles to move his feet. Basic goalkeeping training involves goalkeepers shuffling along their goal line annd only diving when necessary. Peseiro simply has to begin the search for a new goalkeeper as Maduka Okoye is not much better either

[6] In the fullback positions, Ola Aina is playing like Xavier Zanetti. I can see him hitting world class before the end of his career. However, on the left, I fail to see what Zaidu Sanusi brings to the table. Offensively, he offers zero threat, so the race to find a new leftback must start now

[7] In the heart of the defence, I am not convinced about Kevin Akpoguma. He gets beaten too easily and was at blame for the first goal after he allowed his man to turn and shoot. Given that the likes of Balogun, Ekong, Awaziem, Omeruo and Ozornwafor are not any better, Peseiro has his work cut out here too. Rather than bring back all these second division defenders, he needs to look at Atalanta's Caleb Okoli and Fulham's Tosin Adarabioyo

[8] I liked the strength of Calvin Bassey but see him as a player for two years time. For now, our defence simply has to be built around Bassey. He reminds me of the Taribo West of 1994. No doubts, playing at Ajax will soon turn him into a polished gem, the way Auxerre got rid of Taribo's rough edges

[9] One thing that frustrated me in this game was the way our boys gave the ball away so easily. At no stage during the match did we string 10 passes together or keep possession for say five minutes. This team lacks ball holders, who are key if you want to deny the opposition by keeping possession

[10] Now, some may question the refereeing decisions which went against us and the fact the referee appeared intimidated by a huge hostile crowd (The stadium was packed to the rafters) but you will always get that in big games. In the past, such antics have never bothered us, so we cannot use that as an excuse. At this same Oran stadium in 2005, we beat Algeria 5-2. In that game, we fielded class players like Obodo, Martins, Utaka, Ayila, Oruma, etc, who made it difficult for the Algerians to get hold of the ball. We need that kind of talent if we want to start beating the likes of Algeria again.
Akpoguma's block diverted Slimani's shot to the post before Onyeka conceded a penalty from the rebound.
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:20 pm [1] First of all, we were never going to win this high intensity game with that nonsensical 4-2-4 formation. Jose Peseiro handed the initiative to the Algerians the moment, he played Ademola Lookman and Moses Simon in wide positions, rather than uptop astride a central striker

Akpoguma's block diverted Slimani's shot to the post and Onyeka conceded a penalty from the rebound.
We need to look at John Nwankwo at Elche as well for the central defence.
I am happy
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dammy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:08 am

Akpoguma's block diverted Slimani's shot to the post before Onyeka conceded a penalty from the rebound.
And that was the highlight of his 95 minutes.

The guys needs to improve else we are not gooog anywhere. Or we look for a replacement. I have seen him play for the SE thrice and I am not convinced.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Lolly wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:12 am
Dammy wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:08 am

And that was the highlight of his 95 minutes.

The guys needs to improve else we are not gooog anywhere. Or we look for a replacement. I have seen him play for the SE thrice and I am not convinced.
My response was to Ayo's comments that Akpoguma was responsible for the first Algerian goal when he actually prevented a goal.
I agree that he was not convincing but those who understand football more than me said his combination with Bassey was solid and that Algeria didn't have clear cut chances or play the ball over them or between them as we have seen in previous SE CD partnerships.
I am happy
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Akpoguma was actually solid, his pairing with Bassey limited Algeria to no serious goal threat all game, aside from brain farts by the likes of Zaidu who gave the Algerians a rare chance at goal, Uzoho didn't make any serious saves which is a clear indication the CBs did well.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:51 am Akpoguma was actually solid, his pairing with Bassey limited Algeria to no serious goal threat all game, aside from brain farts by the likes of Zaidu who gave the Algerians a rare chance at goal, Uzoho didn't make any serious saves which is a clear indication the CBs did well.
No doubt.

I wonder why some are hating. We went to Algeria and they really did not create a single chance. This is very unlike our old pairings which would have given us moments of horror.

Pairing was solid.

In fact none of the 4 goals scored in both matches can be blamed on the defence.

The PK Bassey gave away was a joke, never a penalty.