What is Ike still doing on the coaching staff?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
What is Ike still doing on the coaching staff?

Post by 1naija »

I liked him as a player, but he should have been relieved of his duties by now. The goalkeepers are getting worse and worse under him.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What is Ike still doing on the coaching staff?

Post by vancity eagle »

He should be sacked effective immedietly. He has to take some blame for this utter disgrace. Does he have no shame ? What on earth is he working on with these guys in their training sessions. Utter disgrace. Sack him now.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:29 am He should be sacked effective immedietly. He has to take some blame for this utter disgrace. Does he have no shame ? What on earth is he working on with these guys in their training sessions. Utter disgrace. Sack him now.
We keep employing donkeys like Alloy Agu and Shorunmu as GK trainers,these guys are already outdated...the likes of Enyeama and Carl Ikeme should be training these guys.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Tobi17 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:37 am
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:29 am He should be sacked effective immedietly. He has to take some blame for this utter disgrace. Does he have no shame ? What on earth is he working on with these guys in their training sessions. Utter disgrace. Sack him now.
We keep employing donkeys like Alloy Agu and Shorunmu as GK trainers,these guys are already outdated...the likes of Enyeama and Carl Ikeme should be training these guys.
We blame Ike that worked with them for 2 or 3 days but not the coaches that work with them all year round! :boo:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Not sure all the blame should go to Ike or Alloy. However, it may be worthwhile rethinking how we train goalkeepers in Nigeria in general, and even considering a new goalkeeper trainer for the SE since that's an area where it seems like we have been lacking in quality lately.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

olu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:54 pm Not sure all the blame should go to Ike or Alloy. However, it may be worthwhile rethinking how we train goalkeepers in Nigeria in general, and even considering a new goalkeeper trainer for the SE since that's an area where it seems like we have been lacking in quality lately.
Or how these goalies are trained by their foreign clubs? Not so? :???: my bad. The few days of training in rhe national camp trumps hours and weeks of training with European clubs. One should guess.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Why do we always look for someone to blame when a player messed up badly? Does there always have to be someone else to blame apart from the culprit (player)? We should be focusing on the issue or the person, and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:55 pm
olu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:54 pm Not sure all the blame should go to Ike or Alloy. However, it may be worthwhile rethinking how we train goalkeepers in Nigeria in general, and even considering a new goalkeeper trainer for the SE since that's an area where it seems like we have been lacking in quality lately.
Or how these goalies are trained by their foreign clubs? Not so? :???: my bad. The few days of training in rhe national camp trumps hours and weeks of training with European clubs. One should guess.
EII,

I think we’re side-stepping the real issue. How many international goalies are young and inexperienced like Nigeria’s goalies? In the 2007 Nigeria vs Spain u17 final, who were the respective goalies? Ajiboye and de Gea. While de Gea was slowly nurtured into the Spanish national team from age 24, Ajiboye was cast aside by Rohr in favor of 18 year-old Uzoho. Everyone knows or should know that goalies don’t begin to mature until their mid twenties. Why does anyone think the story will end well for us when we favor youth goalies over seasoned and experienced ones? We need to overhaul the Rohr philosophy with respect to goalies❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

They are not making these kindergarten mistakes and errors at their clubs. Their performances in the national team show lack of discipline in the national team, which can be 100% blamed on the goalkeepers coaching staff. What would make Okoye think it's ok to try to dribble an offensive player whose training include pressing the player with the ball to force errors? What club coach teaches that? The simple fact is that they (the goalkeepers) seem not have any regard Agu and Ike!

You and wanaj0 suddenly now realize national team coaches spend only 2 or 3 days of training with the players at a time, but never thought so when you were blaming Rohr for every error and defeat the team suffered under him. We need to demand everybody does his job. If it were in the NFL or the NBA both coaches would have been gone a long time ago.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:55 pm
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

iworo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:24 pm Why do we always look for someone to blame when a player messed up badly? Does there always have to be someone else to blame apart from the culprit (player)? We should be focusing on the issue or the person, and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.
I really wonder.
Seems commentators are just as clueless as the coaches they accuse of cluelessness.
Is it national team coaches that are expected to 'train' goalkeepers in the basics?
So what have the league club coaches been doing all this while at the local and foreign clubs?

Let me see....so it is Alloy Agu and Ike Shorunmu that will now teach Okoye and Uzoho how to correctly position their bodies; how to handle the ball safely; how to arrange their feet to kick out a football to their teammates, right? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just what exactly are the national team coaches supposed to 'teach' that the keepers haven't already been taught at their clubs and in fact, everybody on CE seems to know how to teach?
Is any national team worthy of its name supposed to be "training" players the basics?
Teaching a keeper how to correctly position himself and handle a ball is like teaching an outfield player how to trap a ball.

So what the hell are they doing in a NATIONAL camp if they are still learning? (And hey.... I thought it was all agreed Nigerians don't need to "learn" anyway :rotf: )
Are these errors not individual errors down to the players (in this case, the keepers) themselves?
These errors are not down to a lack of knowledge. They are stupid errors and the question needs to be WHY they are making such errors so frequently IN THE NATIONAL TEAM.

Are they making the same errors in their clubs? If not, why not?
If they are, then why are they in the NATIONAL team in the first place?
A taya o,
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:29 pm
iworo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:24 pm Why do we always look for someone to blame when a player messed up badly? Does there always have to be someone else to blame apart from the culprit (player)? We should be focusing on the issue or the person, and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.
I really wonder.
Seems commentators are just as clueless as the coaches they accuse of cluelessness.
Is it national team coaches that are expected to 'train' goalkeepers in the basics?
So what have the league club coaches been doing all this while at the local and foreign clubs?

Let me see....so it is Alloy Agu and Ike Shorunmu that will now teach Okoye and Uzoho how to correctly position their bodies; how to handle the ball safely; how to arrange their feet to kick out a football to their teammates, right? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just what exactly are the national team coaches supposed to 'teach' that the keepers haven't already been taught at their clubs and in fact, everybody on CE seems to know how to teach?
Is any national team worthy of its name supposed to be "training" players the basics?
Teaching a keeper how to correctly position himself and handle a ball is like teaching an outfield player how to trap a ball.

So what the hell are they doing in a NATIONAL camp if they are still learning? (And hey.... I thought it was all agreed Nigerians don't need to "learn" anyway :rotf: )
Are these errors not individual errors down to the players (in this case, the keepers) themselves?
These errors are not down to a lack of knowledge. They are stupid errors and the question needs to be WHY they are making such errors so frequently IN THE NATIONAL TEAM.

A taya o,
But their job is to look for less calamitous keeper instead sticking to the same costly calamities since 2018.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

What is job of the goalkeepers coach if it's not to instill discipline and confidence in the goalkeepers and teach them how to be successful in the National team? Is their role to stay there and collect perfumes and other junks as gifts from the players and tell them "you got this.... you have been trained by your club in Europe"?

Na so we de excuse incompetence!
I really wonder.

A taya o,
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

I sometimes wonder what kind of environment you grew up. Do you really have to abuse people just to make your point?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

eyan wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:50 pm
I really wonder.

A taya o,
But their job is to look for less calamitous keeper instead sticking to the same costly calamities since 2018.
1Naija has already provided you the answer: they are not making these kindergarten errors at their clubs!
FACT.
So what exactly is going on?
Rather than looking for the lazy answer (“they are useless and there must be better keepers… somewhere”) people need to come up with other possibilities.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

But I didn’t refer to discipline and confidence. That was you introducing those two factors and I actually think you have a point.
My point was that catching balls and positioning your body should not be what national team goalkeepers should be coming to learn, becos that seems to be what the majority of our hysterical fans are suggesting Aloy and Ike should be teaching them.
That’s “kindergarten stuff” like you rightly said and they wouldn’t and shouldn’t be learning that even at professional club level.

Maybe it is a confidence issue, but nobody wants to tolerate that in keepers. Yet we know that below par performances in outfield players can be down to confidence issues. We’ve heard Nacho’s failings often put down to a low confidence level.
We’ve heard the same about Iwobi and back in the day, Kanu when he began underperforming.
But keepers? Their errors are so catastrophically costly their ratings drop to “useless” at the drop of a……ball.
Unfortunately. :boo:
1naija wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:13 pm What is job of the goalkeepers coach if it's not to instill discipline and confidence in the goalkeepers and teach them how to be successful in the National team? Is their role to stay there and collect perfumes and other junks as gifts from the players and tell them "you got this.... you have been trained by your club in Europe"?

I really wonder.

A taya o,
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:32 pm I liked him as a player, but he should have been relieved of his duties by now. The goalkeepers are getting worse and worse under him.
Kai, very good point, 1Naija. I thought of such, or posed the same question to myself several times in the past.

To date, I am yet to understand what his job is as a goalkeeper trainer. He has performed very poorly in the position and needs to be fired.
Last edited by Odas on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I agree 100%. Ike should be forced to resign, or be fired if he hesitates to tender his resignation papers. He has done nothing
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:18 pm But I didn’t refer to discipline and confidence. That was you introducing those two factors and I actually think you have a point.
My point was that catching balls and positioning your body should not be what national team goalkeepers should be coming to learn, becos that seems to be what the majority of our hysterical fans are suggesting Aloy and Ike should be teaching them.
That’s “kindergarten stuff” like you rightly said and they wouldn’t and shouldn’t be learning that even at professional club level.

Maybe it is a confidence issue, but nobody wants to tolerate that in keepers. Yet we know that below par performances in outfield players can be down to confidence issues. We’ve heard Nacho’s failings often put down to a low confidence level.
We’ve heard the same about Iwobi and back in the day, Kanu when he began underperforming.
But keepers? Their errors are so catastrophically costly their ratings drop to “useless” at the drop of a……ball.
1naija wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:13 pm What is job of the goalkeepers coach if it's not to instill discipline and confidence in the goalkeepers and teach them how to be successful in the National team? Is their role to stay there and collect perfumes and other junks as gifts from the players and tell them "you got this.... you have been trained by your club in Europe"?

I really wonder.

A taya o,
Damunk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:18 pm But I didn’t refer to discipline and confidence. That was you introducing those two factors and I actually think you have a point.

I really wonder.

A taya o,
I disagree totally with the premise that it is kindergarten stuff. I contend that it is a matter of long years of experience. It is a skill that’s acquired over years of experience playing at club level. I do agree that the national team is not the place to acquire or hone those particular skills. Young keepers, unless they are unambiguously exceptional, should not be saddled with first team responsibilities. Their role should ideally strictly be a backup role. Feel free to disagree with me but we’ve had 4 straight games in which our young goalies have cost us dearly because of their inexperience❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:50 am I disagree totally with the premise that it is kindergarten stuff. I contend that it is a matter of long years of experience. It is a skill that’s acquired over years of experience playing at club level. I do agree that the national team is not the place to acquire or hone those particular skills. Young keepers, unless they are unambiguously exceptional, should not be saddled with first team responsibilities. Their role should ideally strictly be a backup role. Feel free to disagree with me but we’ve had 4 straight games in which our young goalies have cost us dearly because of their inexperience❗️

Cheers.
So we agree in principle. I also agree on the experience factor.
The difference is, I am saying that those errors are not down to the failings of Aloy Agu or Ike Shorunmu to teach.
Also, I’m saying that these same guys are not making these kind of errors at club level.
So what is happening to them in the SE?
Maybe their inexperience is making them nervous? I don’t know.
Meanwhile, the far older Akpeyi is the one everybody was accusing of nervousness.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:06 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:50 am I disagree totally with the premise that it is kindergarten stuff. I contend that it is a matter of long years of experience. It is a skill that’s acquired over years of experience playing at club level. I do agree that the national team is not the place to acquire or hone those particular skills. Young keepers, unless they are unambiguously exceptional, should not be saddled with first team responsibilities. Their role should ideally strictly be a backup role. Feel free to disagree with me but we’ve had 4 straight games in which our young goalies have cost us dearly because of their inexperience❗️

Cheers.
The difference is, I am saying that those errors are not down to the failings of Aloy Agu or Ike Shorunmu to teach.
Also, I’m saying that these same guys are not making these kind of errors at club level.
Meanwhile, the far older Akpeyi is the one everybody was accusing of nervousness.
Nerves are part and parcel of the game. Even Emmanuel Okala admitted that he felt helpless whenever he saw Johnny Nwadioha barreling towards him; but the goals these young guys have been conceding are not due to nerves. I’m talking about the swervy balls from long range. It takes experience to learn how to deal with those comfortably. If I were a betting man, I’d bet that neither Akpeyi nor Ezenwa is likely to concede such goals❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:25 am
Damunk wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:06 am

Cheers.
Nerves are part and parcel of the game. Even Emmanuel Okala admitted that he feels helpless whenever he sees Johnny Nwadioha barreling towards him; but the goals these young guys have been conceding are not due to nerves. I’m talking about the swervy balls from long range. It takes experience to learn how to deal with those comfortably. If I were a betting man, I’d bet that neither Akpeyi nor Ezenwa is likely to concede such goals❗️

Cheers.
I agree, but I think the more experienced one is, the more likely they are to be able to handle those nerves.
It’s why the big players are expected to lead on the ‘big’ occasions.
Nerves are good; they just need to be controlled and the energy harnessed into productive output.
Unfortunately, nervousness in a goalkeeper can be catastrophic and is probably 20x more costly for the team than the nervousness of an outfield player.
We hardly remember all the errors made by outfield players unless it leads or nearly leads to a goal.

I know you like Ezenwa but his own nervousness seemed to be about rushing out and about.
Akpeyi was far more composed IMHO but for some reason, the fans felt he didn’t inspire confidence.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The GK situation is ample evidence of the inability of the local game and coaches to develop players thru proper training.
You watch the NPFL and you see the same issues with GKs across all teams. On the flip side, you watch the MLS and you easily see GKs with better fundamentals, even when the errors and all are there from game to game.

Regarding the NT, the criticism of Ike is spot on, but largely on the issue of scouting. Scouting NOT based on agency representation, but actual, professional evaluation.

The GKs from the local scene who are filtering up to the NT level does not correctly reflect the best talent on the ground.

Lets first have the best talent on the ground, then we can focus on how to develop them...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wanaj0 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 am
We blame Ike that worked with them for 2 or 3 days but not the coaches that work with them all year round! :boo:
I am not trying to take a position here, but just want to mention that National team football is different from club football. Many times, its a lot about confidence. Many players can go into club football and be great, but once they were the national shirt, its like putting 180 million people on your shoulders and you completely collapse. The coach needs to provide that confidence to the players.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?