How long will it take us to learn 442 is not it ?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How long will it take us to learn 442 is not it ?

Post by vancity eagle »

Roles or positions ?

It's all semantic really.

Bottom line is that the central midfield gets overrun. Iwobi gets overworked and is operating way too deep, and our wing players get isolated.

Many have noted that 442 can work IF you use the right personel and the players understand their roles and how they evolve through the match.

We haven't yet seen that. Perhaps we did in the Egypt game at the AFCON, you can't really count t Sao Tome who was not a real opponent. Yet if we had it figured out for Egypt, why then did our guys revert to cluelessness against Tunisia and Ghana. Were the Egyptians just so scared of us they didn't really put up a fight.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

vancity eagle wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:09 am Roles or positions ?

It's all semantic really.

Bottom line is that the central midfield gets overrun. Iwobi gets overworked and is operating way too deep, and our wing players get isolated.

Many have noted that 442 can work IF you use the right personel and the players understand their roles and how they evolve through the match.

We haven't yet seen that. Perhaps we did in the Egypt game at the AFCON, you can't really count t Sao Tome who was not a real opponent. Yet if we had it figured out for Egypt, why then did our guys revert to cluelessness against Tunisia and Ghana. Were the Egyptians just so scared of us they didn't really put up a fight.

The worst thing you can do to yourself is to willfully resist to learn.

A position is fixed. A role is not
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

But they aren't playing the "roles" properly so it's pointless to even discuss.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

442 one of your strikers needs to be able to drop back and play the AM role when necessary.

Iheanacho does not fit that role. His ball control and dribbling ability are piss poor.

Frankly our players to best suit this role would be

Iwobi - but I think he is wasted in that role

Lookman

Sadiq possibly

Ejuke and Dennis possibly

You are essentially switching from 442 to 433 throughout the match.

If 442 is a must, I would suggest this

Aina
Bassey
Akpoguma
Sanusi

Ndidi
Aribo/Yusuf
Lookman
Simon

Iwobi
Osimehn

Iwobi would be key switching from AM role to SS role. He even has the workrate to help out with defence in the midfield in a limited capacity.

The bottom line is that Iwobi is WASTED playing so far back as one of 2 CMs in a dysfunctional 442.

There were quite a few times in the Algeria match where he was one of our furthest back players. Just a waste since we don't have any other creative ball carriers with his vision and passing ability.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I believe getting the best out of Iwobi will be key to our fortunes, much like Mikel in the previous era.

Also important is to immediately identify Iwobis backup, so we are not caught with our pants down like we were against Ghana.

That's why all this calling up 3 and 4 midfielders and 7 central defenders is just plain STUPID. We do not plan for success, just go through the same dinosaur motions that lead to failure.

Every window an alternative to Iwobi must be called up. We also need to look at Ejaria once he can stay fit.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:21 am I believe getting the best out of Iwobi will be key to our fortunes, much like Mikel in the previous era.

Also important is to immediately identify Iwobis backup, so we are not caught with our pants down like we were against Ghana.

That's why all this calling up 3 and 4 midfielders and 7 central defenders is just plain STUPID. We do not plan for success, just go through the same dinosaur motions that lead to failure.

Every window an alternative to Iwobi must be called up. We also need to look at Ejaria once he can stay fit.
:clap:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:21 am I believe getting the best out of Iwobi will be key to our fortunes, much like Mikel in the previous era.

Do you consider Ejaria a reliable deputy to Iwobi considering his injury record...the more you think about it, it's actually very impressive how Iwobi doesn't have a bad injury record, the boy plays week in week out at Everton yet manages to always stay fit.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

It's crazy how we are not producing enough creative midfielders though, Ghana for example have Kudus and Kofi-Kyereh and it's the same for most top African teams, we just seem to have a limitless overload of strikers and wingers and no brilliant midfielders...when will we get to hear about one break out Nigerian world class midfielder? we are right now one Iwobi injury or loss of form away from a total collapse in that midfield and it's worrying there's no capable player we can rely on for creativity.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Iwobis backup doesn't need to be as good, but we need to have a plan B.

The options are

Joe Aribo
Nwakali - but his workrate no be am
Ejaria
Ejuke

We have to plan for one or two of these guys to take Iwobis role until we can convince Eze and Olise.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

olu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:16 pm 4-4-2 can work with the right personnel. For it to work the 2 CMs have to comfortable going forward and defending, and one of the CFs has to be able to drop deep to midfield every now and then and play as an "attacking midfielder". I would be more comfortable playing a 3-5-2 or 4-2-1-3, however, if we are going to play a 4-4-2, Iwobi and Aribo would be my two CMs. Iwobi plays as a CM for Everton and has improved in leaps and bounds when it comes to covering for the defense. Aribo can contribute defensively too, though I won't say that's the best part of his game. Ndidi is a great DM, but don't feel like you would get the best out of him in a 4-4-2 because of his limited range of passing.
I would also start either Kelechi or Lookman as the second striker to pair Osimhen in attack.
Mate, a midfield with only Iwobi and Aribo would be very weak, we need at least a DM like Ndidi, Onyeka or Onyedika.

Anyway Peseiro is going to be a failure if he doeasn't change system. We have the players to play with a 4-3-3

Uzoho

Aina
Ajayi
Bassey
Sanusi

Ndidi
Aribo
Iwobi

Chukwueze
Lookman
Osimhen
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

pindal123 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:43 am
olu wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:16 pm 4-4-2 can work with the right personnel. For it to work the 2 CMs have to comfortable going forward and defending, and one of the CFs has to be able to drop deep to midfield every now and then and play as an "attacking midfielder". I would be more comfortable playing a 3-5-2 or 4-2-1-3, however, if we are going to play a 4-4-2, Iwobi and Aribo would be my two CMs. Iwobi plays as a CM for Everton and has improved in leaps and bounds when it comes to covering for the defense. Aribo can contribute defensively too, though I won't say that's the best part of his game. Ndidi is a great DM, but don't feel like you would get the best out of him in a 4-4-2 because of his limited range of passing.
I would also start either Kelechi or Lookman as the second striker to pair Osimhen in attack.
Mate, a midfield with only Iwobi and Aribo would be very weak, we need at least a DM like Ndidi, Onyeka or Onyedika.

Anyway Peseiro is going to be a failure if he doeasn't change system. We have the players to play with a 4-3-3

Uzoho

Aina
Ajayi
Bassey
Sanusi

Ndidi
Aribo
Iwobi

Chukwueze
Lookman
Osimhen
Uzoho again...OK ooo lol
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:59 am

It's crazy how we are not producing enough creative midfielders though, Ghana for example have Kudus and Kofi-Kyereh and it's the same for most top African teams, we just seem to have a limitless overload of strikers and wingers and no brilliant midfielders...when will we get to hear about one break out Nigerian world class midfielder? we are right now one Iwobi injury or loss of form away from a total collapse in that midfield and it's worrying there's no capable player we can rely on for creativity.
it's not about creative midfielders though, it's about creativity full stop, not 1 player apart from Iwobi created an opportunity for his team mate against Algeria, passes were over hit and our players just like to carry the ball till they lose it. In training they show them passing and moving but come match day, run with ball and can't pass nor move. The SE needs to improve a lot and their pressing is comedic, one goes another waits and another motions another to follow, no coordination at all, everytime they play its disjointed, always like they have never play together before.
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:05 am Uzoho again...OK ooo lol
I didn' t display Adelaye because he has never been tested.
But i definitely think he should play, and could be our first choice.