Alex Iwobi flummoxed by international offside decision

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Alex Iwobi flummoxed by international offside decision

Post by iworo »

Everton ace Alex Iwobi flummoxed by international offside decision

Everton midfielder Alex Iwobi has been left seething after his national team Nigeria were denied a goal in their 2-1 friendly defeat to Algeria.

Teren Moffi opened the scoring for the Super Eagles but with the game still 1-0, he was quickest to react to a spilt long-ranged effort and then squared the ball for Ademola Lookman to tap into an empty net.

The linesman’s flag surprisingly ruled the goal offside and with no VAR in operation for a friendly, Nigeria had to accept the decision before going on to lose the game thanks to goals from Riyad Mahrez and Youcef Atal.
The following day (28 September) Iwobi was still not pleased with the decision to rule out Lookman’s goal and he took to Twitter with a screenshot of the pass to question the officials’ decision.

“One Example… Really Confused As To How This Was Disallowed For Offside,” the Everton ace said.

Deceptive

As is always the case with TV camera angles, there is no way to be sure that this was or wasn’t offside and this is partly the reason why VAR has now been introduced in a number of major leagues across the world.

Even this still image of the moment the ball is passed is not 100 per cent definitive proof that the wrong decision has been made and Iwobi is threatening to seem like a crybaby by taking this to Twitter.

It would be worth someone reminding him that this was only a friendly between two nations, not a game that would have had any significance in either the Africa Cup of Nations or World Cup.

The quality of refereeing has and will remain to be constantly under scrutiny and people only ever talk about the wrong decisions and not the right ones which makes their job extremely difficult.

For a friendly, it is not worth the hassle, leave it be.

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2022/09/28 ... -decision/
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Alex Iwobi flummoxed by international offside decision

Post by jette1 »

He is not alone, me too movement
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."