Iwobi - Top 10 in chances created

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Iwobi - Top 10 in chances created

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/47/stats ... att_assist

Iwobi is tied at 8th position with Gundogan in chances created so far this season. He’s actually 3rd or 4th amongst MF ahead of Bernardo Silva , Xhaka and Perreira. It’s not goals or assists but this is a very impressive stat for Iwobi. He’s hanging in there with some of the best MF in the world. Hopefully,he gets even better as the quality of players around him improves.I’m just concerned about injuries because Everton will ride him like a horse this season. :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
gochino
Egg
Egg
Re: Iwobi - Top 10 in chances created

Post by gochino »

This is the Iwobi we have all been waiting for! ...Still don't understand why apart from Lampard, most coaches played him on the wings.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Wenger played him through the middle and seemed to be grooming him as Ozil’s successor.

He’s always been best in the middle but didn’t always have the end product. But that beginning to come together now.

The question will be whether he stays deeper (Wenger played him further forward than Lampard), especially as he’s not a genuine 10.

Worth saying, apropos nothing, that Rohr had him in a central role once JMO was benched at Afcon 2019.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

gochino wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:56 am This is the Iwobi we have all been waiting for! ...Still don't understand why apart from Lampard, most coaches played him on the wings.
Or why our SE coach is wasting him by not giving him the midfielders to do the dirty work behind him. So HE has to do the dirty work, leaving our attack less productive.

End the 442
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:55 pm
gochino wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:56 am This is the Iwobi we have all been waiting for! ...Still don't understand why apart from Lampard, most coaches played him on the wings.
Or why our SE coach is wasting him by not giving him the midfielders to do the dirty work behind him. So HE has to do the dirty work, leaving our attack less productive.

End the 442
He’s having to do a lot of dirty work at Everton to be fair. He’s not some attacking midfielder with water carriers behind him. Playing as an 8, not a 10.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

waka-man wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 pm

End the 442
He’s having to do a lot of dirty work at Everton to be fair. He’s not some attacking midfielder with water carriers behind him. Playing as an 8, not a 10.
And Everton is struggling.

Also they have Gordon.

Iwobi should not be wasted cleaning up the midfield. I dont agree the position he plays in Everton is getting rhe best out of him
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:40 am

End the 442

Also they have Gordon.

Iwobi should not be wasted cleaning up the midfield. I dont agree the position he plays in Everton is getting rhe best out of him
He’s having his best season in years in that position. And after a bad start, Everton are hardly “struggling”. Mid-table and on the up.

And guess who their undisputed player of the season is so far?

Yep. Iwobi.

Players evolve. He’s showing he can play much deeper alongside just one defensive mid and do the work while plotting from a deeper position. The key seems to be an improved engine which allows him to join the attack and create overloads.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

waka-man wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:13 pm

End the 442

Also they have Gordon.

He’s having his best season in years in that position. And after a bad start, Everton are hardly “struggling”. Mid-table and on the up.

Yep. Iwobi.

Players evolve. He’s showing he can play much deeper alongside just one defensive mid and do the work while plotting from a deeper position. The key seems to be an improved engine which allows him to join the attack and create overloads.
So why didn't it work vs Algeria ?

Everton is not SE.

It's not that Iwobi cannot play that position, it's that it isn't his optimal position, and maybe Evwrton has the players for him to be more effective in that role than we do.

If you could not see Iwobi was overworked, and spent a lot of time in the wrong area of the pitch vs Algeria, then you don't know football.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:19 pm

End the 442

Also they have Gordon.

Yep. Iwobi.

Everton is not SE.

It's not that Iwobi cannot play that position, it's that it isn't his optimal position, and maybe Evwrton has the players for him to be more effective in that role than we do.

If you could not see Iwobi was overworked, and spent a lot of time in the wrong area of the pitch vs Algeria, then you don't know football.
Nice pivot. Everton argument led you down a cul de sac. So let’s go to your new angle.

I agree, with Onyeka as his midfield partner, and in a 4-4-2, he was over-run.

That’s not the same thing as saying he’s not a natural in the deeper lying role. Because Everton shows that’s not true.

The bigger issue is the way the team was set up and who he was partnered with.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

waka-man wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:59 pm

End the 442

Also they have Gordon.

Yep. Iwobi.

Everton is not SE.

Nice pivot. Everton argument led you down a cul de sac. So let’s go to your new angle.

That’s not the same thing as saying he’s not a natural in the deeper lying role. Because Everton shows that’s not true.

You are still not getting it.

Why do you want to over burden YOUR ONLY CREATIVE player with defensive duties ?

It goes beyond his partner, and has more to do with our formation given the players we have at our disposal.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:07 pm

End the 442

Also they have Gordon.

Yep. Iwobi.

Everton is not SE.

Why do you want to over burden YOUR ONLY CREATIVE player with defensive duties ?

It goes beyond his partner, and has more to do with our formation given the players we have at our disposal.
That’s your third argument. But let’s go there.
Lots of creative players play from deep. It wasn’t just Pirlo.
The argument was what is Iwobi’s best position. I think you’re saying he’s a 10 (“most creative play”) and I’m saying he’s an 8 (“engine of the midfield”).

If you’re gonna play 4-4-2, unless it’s a diamond, your not gonna have a traditional 10, and your 2nd striker is going to sort of play that role.

For Nigeria, you might, might be right, that Iwobi is our most creative player and you want him to play further forward without defensive responsibilities, but that’s not modern football. Even a traditional 10 in today’s game has defensive duties and requires good passers winning the ball deeper to win and pass which we don’t have either.

Ultimately I’m saying, take a hint from the managers who play our players week in week out and see where they play our players. No manager has played Iwobi as a 10 in over 5 years with any success.

We shouldn’t do it either.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I never said Iwobi should have NO defensive duties, you are putting words in my mouth. I'm fully aware in the modern game that EVERY player will have defensive duties.

You say no manager has played Iwobi as an AM in the past 5 years as an AM.

Not true.

Rohr successfully deployed Iwobi as a #10 and in fact his downfall is DIRECTLY LINKED to when he shifted him out of that position to accommodate Iheanacho, a mistake continued by Peseiro in our last match.

And how exactly has Iwobi as a #8 been successful for SE ?

IT HASNT.

Losses to any serious team we have played.

Ecuador, Mexico, Algeria.

Is that your definition of success?

I take it you will now pivot to your silly Everton arguments.

For the last time, Everton is not SE.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:10 pm I never said Iwobi should have NO defensive duties, you are putting words in my mouth. I'm fully aware in the modern game that EVERY player will have defensive duties.

You say no manager has played Iwobi as an AM in the past 5 years as an AM.

Not true.

Rohr successfully deployed Iwobi as a #10 and in fact his downfall is DIRECTLY LINKED to when he shifted him out of that position to accommodate Iheanacho, a mistake continued by Peseiro in our last match.

And how exactly has Iwobi as a #8 been successful for SE ?

IT HASNT.

Losses to any serious team we have played.

Ecuador, Mexico, Algeria.

Is that your definition of success?

I take it you will now pivot to your silly Everton arguments.

For the last time, Everton is not SE.
Since the word “silly” has entered the debate, I will refer you to the beginning of this debate, and leave it at that:

Gochinho (in direct reference to Iwobi’s performance for Everton): “This is the Iwobi we have all been waiting for!”

I agree with him.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

waka-man wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:28 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:07 pm

Also they have Gordon.

Yep. Iwobi.

Everton is not SE.

That’s your third argument. But let’s go there.
Lots of creative players play from deep. It wasn’t just Pirlo.
The argument was what is Iwobi’s best position. I think you’re saying he’s a 10 (“most creative play”) and I’m saying he’s an 8 (“engine of the midfield”).

If you’re gonna play 4-4-2, unless it’s a diamond, your not gonna have a traditional 10, and your 2nd striker is going to sort of play that role.

For Nigeria, you might, might be right, that Iwobi is our most creative player and you want him to play further forward without defensive responsibilities, but that’s not modern football. Even a traditional 10 in today’s game has defensive duties and requires good passers winning the ball deeper to win and pass which we don’t have either.

Ultimately I’m saying, take a hint from the managers who play our players week in week out and see where they play our players. No manager has played Iwobi as a 10 in over 5 years with any success.

We shouldn’t do it either.
You know ball :clap: :clap: :clap: