WHERE ARE THE OKALA BROS FROM?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
WHERE ARE THE OKALA BROS FROM?

Post by anointed »

Never knew they were from Kogi State. Used to think South East.
#history

Emmanuel Okala and his late younger brother, Patrick Okala are among Nigeria’s and Africa's greatest goalkeepers of all times.

They both hail from Idah, present day Kogi state.

Both brothers were at various times in goal for the Nigerian national team in the 80s and 90s.

It would be recalled that Emmanuel is prided as Nigeria’s first “African Footballer of the Year’’ after inspiring Enugu Rangers to win 1977 African Winners Cup now CAF Confederations Cup before helping Nigeria to win the 1980 African Cup of Nations putting his name forever in the history of Nigerian football because all were “firsts’’.

Emmanuel is a holder of Order of Nigeria. The 68-year-old 6 feet inches nicknamed “Iroko” will always remain much loved and a darling of the fans who stood in applause despite 33 years after he last played for Nigeria.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHERE ARE THE OKALA BROS FROM?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

anointed wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:09 pm Never knew they were from Kogi State. Used to think South East.
#history

Emmanuel Okala and his late younger brother, Patrick Okala are among Nigeria’s and Africa's greatest goalkeepers of all times.

They both hail from Idah, present day Kogi state.

Both brothers were at various times in goal for the Nigerian national team in the 80s and 90s.

It would be recalled that Emmanuel is prided as Nigeria’s first “African Footballer of the Year’’ after inspiring Enugu Rangers to win 1977 African Winners Cup now CAF Confederations Cup before helping Nigeria to win the 1980 African Cup of Nations putting his name forever in the history of Nigerian football because all were “firsts’’.

Emmanuel is a holder of Order of Nigeria. The 68-year-old 6 feet inches nicknamed “Iroko” will always remain much loved and a darling of the fans who stood in applause despite 33 years after he last played for Nigeria.

Well, do you not believe the article you posted?
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

He’s from Onitsha. His Igbo name is something like Ogujiofor
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

waka-man wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:56 pm He’s from Onitsha. His Igbo name is something like Ogujiofor
According to Wikipedida that's his midddle name.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

what does it matter where they are from; there are Nigerians
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Okala is from Onitsha, that one I know way back in the days of East Central state.
Unless his family migrated to Onitsha.
He has always been known as an Onitsha native as my friends from Onitsha, Abatete, and Obosi areas.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

mcal wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:41 pm ...Okala is from Onitsha, that one I know way back in the days of East Central state.
He has always been known as an Onitsha native as my friends from Onitsha, Abatete, and Obosi areas.
Fellow okongwu :biggrin: you are right about Okala being known as an Onitsha native when he was with Rangers. It was one of those things that everyone "knew." Of course, things that Naija people "know" can be wrong. But I doubt it in this case.

Back in the day, when I was still in secondary school (shattap ya mout all of una :biggrin: ) Rangers came to play a practice game with our school, College of Immaculate Conception, (CIC) Enugu. Yes, this actually happened. They crushed us 11-1, and could have scored more but took their foot off the pedal and sat down Charles Abana who was just scoring at will. :lol: By the way, East Central State Academicals left wing star Tony Uzoka scored the only goal for our school by dribbling through a surprised Rangers defence. :shock:

But to my point. Late in the game, Rangers took off Okosieme their starting goalkeeper, and brought on this looooong guy everyone called "Agwo" meaning "snake" in Igbo. The talk among the schoolboys was that his real name was Okala, and he came from Onitsha, and was being groomed to replace Okosieme.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ohsee wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:08 pm
mcal wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:41 pm ...Okala is from Onitsha, that one I know way back in the days of East Central state.
Fellow okongwu :biggrin: you are right about Okala being known as an Onitsha native when he was with Rangers. It was one of those things that everyone "knew." Of course, things that Naija people "know" can be wrong. But I doubt it in this case.

Back in the day, when I was still in secondary school (shattap ya mout all of una :biggrin: ) Rangers came to play a practice game with our school, College of Immaculate Conception, (CIC) Enugu. Yes, this actually happened. They crushed us 11-1, and could have scored more but took their foot off the pedal and sat down Charles Abana who was just scoring at will. :lol: By the way, East Central State Academicals left wing star Tony Uzoka scored the only goal for our school by dribbling through a surprised Rangers defence. :shock:

But to my point. Late in the game, Rangers took off Okosieme their starting goalkeeper, and brought on this looooong guy everyone called "Agwo" meaning "snake" in Igbo. The talk among the schoolboys was that his real name was Okala, and he came from Onitsha, and was being groomed to replace Okosieme.
...thanks for concurring.
For our yard, street and neighborhood were folks from Onitsha and environs they all confirmed that by bragging 'their man is the Rangers International goalie'.
Even when I use to work in Onitsha my co-workers will mention Okala among others as a prominent Onitsha person.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

This is the problem with ITKs who just started watching football yesterday. They tend to latch onto any story from any dubious source and it becomes gospel truth. Does Okala remotely sound like a Kogi name? Tomorrow, they’ll tell you Godwin Achebe was from Zamfara🤔

By the way, Onitsha has produced more than its fair share of great Nigerian football players. The more famous ones include (in order of emergence):

Godwin Achebe
Alfred Achebe
Patrick Obinwa
Cyril Okosieme
Okey Emordi
Emmanuel Okala
Patrick Okala
Kenneth Boardman
Ndubuisi Okosieme
Karl Ikeme
Chuka Okaka
Alex Iwobi
Chuba Akpom

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head; and I have refrained from including non Onitsha indegenes who were born and bred in Onitsha like Paul Hamilton, Dominic Ezeani, Nnamdi Anyafo and Henry Onyekuru❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:22 pm This is the problem with ITKs who just started watching football yesterday. They tend to latch onto any story from any dubious source and it becomes gospel truth. Does Okala remotely sound like a Kogi name? Tomorrow, they’ll tell you Godwin Achebe was from Zamfara🤔
There is no such thing as a Kogi Name, An ITK like you ought to know :roll:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

fabio wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:31 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:22 pm This is the problem with ITKs who just started watching football yesterday. They tend to latch onto any story from any dubious source and it becomes gospel truth. Does Okala remotely sound like a Kogi name? Tomorrow, they’ll tell you Godwin Achebe was from Zamfara🤔
There are no names indigenous to Kogi State? Why do you choose to talk like a fool? Next, you’ll be telling me there’s no such thing as an Anambra name❗️

Cheers.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:40 pm
There are no names indigenous to Kogi State? Why do you choose to talk like a fool? Next, you’ll be telling me there’s no such thing as an Anambra name❗️

Cheers.
You are the bigger fool and olodo... It's either an Igala, Egbira or Okun name, not Kogi Name. If you were clever, you could have said a name from Kogi state, not Kogi Name. You talk, write and think like a compound fool :mrgreen:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

By the way, Onitsha has produced more than its fair share of great Nigerian football players. The more famous ones include (in order of emergence):

Godwin Achebe
Alfred Achebe
Patrick Obinwa
Cyril Okosieme
Okey Emordi
Emmanuel Okala
Patrick Okala
Kenneth Boardman
Ndubuisi Okosieme
Karl Ikeme
Chuka Okaka
Alex Iwobi
Chuba Akpom
Cyril Okosieme
Obi-Okoye

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head; and I have refrained from inclufing non Onitsha indegenes who were born and bred in Onitsha like Paul Hamilton, Dominic Ezeani, Nnamdi Anyafo and Henry Onyekuru❗️

Cheers.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:56 pm

Godwin Achebe
Alfred Achebe
Patrick Obinwa
Cyril Okosieme
Okey Emordi
Emmanuel Okala
Patrick Okala
Kenneth Boardman
Ndubuisi Okosieme
Karl Ikeme
Chuka Okaka
Alex Iwobi
Chuba Akpom
Cyril Okosieme
Obi-Okoye

These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head; and I have refrained from including non Onitsha indegenes who were born and bred in Onitsha like Paul Hamilton, Dominic Ezeani, Nnamdi Anyafo and Henry Onyekuru❗️

Cheers.
EII,

Cyril Okosieme is the fourth name on my list. Obi-Okoye is from Ihiala in Anambra State and I’m not aware he has any specific ties to Onitsha ❗️

Cheers
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:18 pm

Godwin Achebe
Alfred Achebe
Patrick Obinwa
Cyril Okosieme
Okey Emordi
Emmanuel Okala
Patrick Okala
Kenneth Boardman
Ndubuisi Okosieme
Karl Ikeme
Chuka Okaka
Alex Iwobi
Chuba Akpom
Cyril Okosieme
Obi-Okoye

Cheers.
EII,

Cyril Okosieme is the fourth name on my list. Obi-Okoye is from Ihiala in Anambra State and I’m not aware he has any specific ties to Onitsha ❗️

Cheers
Okay, I see it now. I thought youi had skipped his name.

I am certain there would be more from Onitsha given the indigenous population and the many schools within the town.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:34 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:18 pm

Godwin Achebe
Alfred Achebe
Patrick Obinwa
Cyril Okosieme
Okey Emordi
Emmanuel Okala
Patrick Okala
Kenneth Boardman
Ndubuisi Okosieme
Karl Ikeme
Chuka Okaka
Alex Iwobi
Chuba Akpom
Cyril Okosieme
Obi-Okoye

Cheers.
EII,

Cheers
Okay, I see it now. I thought youi had skipped his name.

I am certain there would be more from Onitsha given the indigenous population and the many schools within the town.
I know I left out some names that aren’t quite so well known, like Anazonwu and Okolonji… and the list of non indegenes with strong ties to Onitsha is probably too long to display here❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

fabio wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Cheers.
You are the bigger fool and olodo... It's either an Igala, Egbira or Okun name, not Kogi Name. If you were clever, you could have said a name from Kogi state, not Kogi Name. You talk, write and think like a compound fool :mrgreen:
I usually don’t suffer fools gladly, and I’ve met few as ignorant as you, but I’ll give your ignorant arss a history lesson just this once. All three ethnic groups have the same origins more or less. Their languages, especially Igala and Okun, are very similar. Most Igala names are not unique to Igala. Many of those names can be found among the Okun and the Egbira people as well. In fact, historically, the Egbira people are said to have migrated from Igala. They are the same people more or less so, I am at a loss as to why you think there can’t be Kogi names❗️

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

What does Kogi mean ? Is it a people or peoples. When I know these then I can help you guys resolve your fight

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

jette1 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:58 am What does Kogi mean ? Is it a people or peoples. When I know these then I can help you guys resolve your fight
Okala is an Igala name. Okala could also be an Ibo name (I don't know).
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:25 pm
fabio wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Cheers.
I usually don’t suffer fools gladly, and I’ve met few as ignorant as you, but I’ll give your ignorant arss a history lesson just this once. All three ethnic groups have the same origins more or less. Their languages, especially Igala and Okun, are very similar. Most Igala names are not unique to Igala. Many of those names can be found among the Okun and the Egbira people as well. In fact, historically, the Egbira people are said to have migrated from Igala. They are the same people more or less so, I am at a loss as to why you think there can’t be Kogi names❗️

Cheers.
Remember, that Fela song, babanla nonsense is what you have written about Igala, Okun and Egbira having the same origins. And they are the same people.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

What I’m asking is from what was the term Kogi drive from. Eg - Enugu is from the mountainous terrain of the city meaning mountain top.
Plateau is obviously from the terrain as well So what exactly is the word Kogi

packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Lol…In my secondary school days we used to have a tall goal keeper we used to call “Agwo turu mbe” meaning the Snake that bite a turtle.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

packerland wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:31 am

Lol…In my secondary school days we used to have a tall goal keeper we used to call “Agwo turu mbe” meaning the Snake that bite a turtle.
packerbobo, which country you be? :biggrin: This your Igbo dey one kind. When I started reading that nickname for una goalie, I expected "imeh" to appear at the end, as in "Agwo turu mbe imeh" :lol: meaning "Snake that pregnanted a turtle" :rotf: Anyway, in my Wawa dialect, na "Agwo talu mbe" we for call am to mean snake wey bite turtle. :biggrin: Unless, of course, na metaphor you dey use with "bite." :biggrin: