Salisu Yusuf calls up 32 players for Upcoming U23 AFCON Qualifier vs Tanzania (October 29th)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Salisu Yusuf calls up 32 players for Upcoming U23 AFCON Qualifier vs Tanzania (October 29th)

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:48 pm
SPORTS 18 Olympic Eagles called up for Tanzania clash
https://www.ripplesnigeria.com/18-olymp ... nia-clash/
Published 10 mins ago on October 20, 2022By Ben Ugbana Salisu Yusuf wants Eagles to top Group C

Olympic Eagles head coach Salisu Yusuf has unveiled an 18-man squad for the team’s U-23 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers against Tanzania.

Yusuf named a number of foreign-based players in the squad.

Former Flying Eagles striker, Success Makanjuola, Promise David, who plays for Sirens FC of Malta and FC Vizela of Portugal’s Adeyemo Emmanuel are some of the foreign-based stars, who make the cut.

The players and their officials will travel to Dar es Salaam for the first leg today.

The first leg of the tie will take place on Saturday, while the reverse fixture is billed for the Lekan Salami Stadium, Adamasingba, Ibadan a week later.

THE FULL LIST

1. isaiah Ejeh – Mjallby, Sweden.

2. Promise David – Sirens FC, Malta.

3. Michael Ologo Inainfe – Istanbulspor, Turkey.

4. Ogunniyi Oluwatimileyin Abiodun – Fk Auda, Latvia.

5. Adeyemo Oluwapelumi Emmanuel – FC Vizela, Portugal.

6. Success Makanjuola – CD Diocesano, Spain.

7. Hezekiah Okirikpo – Dundalk FC, Ireland.

8. Naziru Auwalu Ibrahim – Rangers Int’l.

9. Munir Idris – Niger Tornadoes.

10. Edidiong Enobong Ezekiel – Remo Stars.

11. Daniel Wotlai – Abia Warriors.

12. Christopher Nwaeze – Plateau United.

13. Evans Ogbonda – Akwa United.

14. Qudus Olamilekan Akanni – Remo Stars

15. Nathaniel Nwosu- Water FC Abuja.

16. Dominion Ohaka – Water FC Abuja.

17. Amah John – Box-to-Box FC.

18. Bamayi Calocho – Yum-Yum FC
olu
Egg
Egg
Re: Salisu Yusuf calls up 32 players for Upcoming U23 AFCON Qualifier vs Tanzania (October 29th)

Post by olu »

I am surprised some of the foreign based players in the U20/U23 prospects thread on this forum were not called up. I am referring to the likes of Victor Boniface, Victor Eletu, Paul Mukairu, Yira Sor (not sure he's eligible), Mark Ugboh (reserve goalie at Midtjylland), Joshua Oluwayemi, etc. Maybe we will see them in future squads if we get past Tanzania. Yusuf may know something we don't tho, so we'll see how the team shapes up.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

olu wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:26 pm I am surprised some of the foreign based players in the U20/U23 prospects thread on this forum were not called up. I am referring to the likes of Victor Boniface, Victor Eletu, Paul Mukairu, Yira Sor (not sure he's eligible), Mark Ugboh (reserve goalie at Midtjylland), Joshua Oluwayemi, etc. Maybe we will see them in future squads if we get past Tanzania. Yusuf may know something we don't tho, so we'll see how the team shapes up.
The game is outside of FIFA window. No way Boniface can make it.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm
olu wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:26 pm I am surprised some of the foreign based players in the U20/U23 prospects thread on this forum were not called up. I am referring to the likes of Victor Boniface, Victor Eletu, Paul Mukairu, Yira Sor (not sure he's eligible), Mark Ugboh (reserve goalie at Midtjylland), Joshua Oluwayemi, etc. Maybe we will see them in future squads if we get past Tanzania. Yusuf may know something we don't tho, so we'll see how the team shapes up.
KPOM.

Moreover, building a U-23 solely on the back of foreign-based players can be a DANGEROUS STRATEGY as has been proven to Nigeria's detriment several times previously. Will their clubs release them in critical Nigerian gamers? Re member, some U23 qualifiers will not be played on FIFA match-free days and clubs are not obligated to release these players. I remember, ruefully, how Eguavoen building a very strong Nigerian U23 with such players and we were steamrolling opponents until..... in one round, several of those players were not released and Nigeria promptly crumbled. Is that what we wish AGAIN? The better mover, is that whatever team is being built must have a large number of HB lads who can be made available by NFF edict and the only downside is when a couple or so move abroad.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Ugbowo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:59 pm
He's not eligible either way.
Only Ugboh, Oluwayemi and Eletu (who'd make more sense with our U20's) are of the age Bracket of January 1st 2001. The Goalkeeping situation is probably the position i'm most worried about with this set, as Ugboh and Oluwayemi are at best squad players for their clubs and are more likely to be released.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Why was Kayode Bankole and Tosin Adegbite dropped? These guys are within the age bracket and have NPFL experience.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Salisu Beefs up his squad with 2 new players, Sunusi Ibrahim of Montreal Impact in the MLS and Kwara United AM Samuel Chisom. The Sunisi call is somewhat understandable as compared to the forwards in this team he's a lot more proven while Chisom is a bit of a head scratcher, he's not a bad player but is not someone I'd mention as one of our best U23 talents even in the domestic scene.
U23 AFCON: Salisu Yusuf hands Chisom Samuel call up for crunch Tanzania game

https://www.footballlive.ng/u23-afcon-s ... ania-game/

Nigeria’s Olympic Eagles Coach Salisu Yusuf has handed an invite to Kwara United winger Chisom Samuel ahead of the return leg of the U23 AFCON qualifiers.

The Eagles were held to a 1-1 draw by their Tanzania counterparts at the Benjamin Mkapa Stadium in Dar es Salaam Tanzania last Saturday and will host the second leg at the Lekan Salami Stadium in Ibadan on Saturday.

After the first-leg, Salisu Yusuf had made it clear that his team was not cynical enough in front of goal and has now moved to increase their attacking fire power by inviting Chisom.

Despite being handed a late invitation Chisom has joined up with the camp and has started training with his mates.
Nigeria needs at least a goalless draw to advance to the next round of the 2023 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations qualifying although a win will guarantee them progression to the next phase.

Chisom Samuel was part of Kwara United’s continental team before the exit of the team from the ongoing CAF Confederation Cup competition.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/samuel-chi ... ler/572999

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Sunset wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:19 am

Wotlais debut performance against Costa RIca