TIME TO ASK: Is HE Better than JJ??

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
TIME TO ASK: Is HE Better than JJ??

Post by Enugu II »

In my view, this guy AT THE MOMENT is arguably better than JJ at his prime for Nigeria. I agree that it may require Alex playing at this level for a much longer period for a fairer comparison.... But his play now is lights out and far more positive and his workrate excellent both with and without the ball.
‘He’s a special talent’ – Okocha lavishes praise on Iwobi
https://dailypost.ng/2022/10/12/hes-a-s ... -on-iwobi/
Published on October 12, 2022By Mike Oyebola

Former Super Eagles captain, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, has voiced his admiration for his nephew, Alex Iwobi.

Iwobi has turned his career around at Everton after initial doubts about his potentials.

The 26-year-old arrived Everton from Arsenal in 2019 but took time to settle down at the club.

The versatile midfielder struggled under managers Carlo Ancelotti and Rafa Benitez, failing to feature regularly for the Toffees under them.

Iwobi is, however, enjoying a new lease of life under Frank Lampard, who has played him in different positions since his arrival at the Goodison Park in January.

The player has scored one goal and provided four assists in nine league appearances for the Merseysiders this season.

He has also played every minute of the club’s league matches.

”It’s great to see him playing to his potential,” Okocha told Everton Live.

“We all knew that he’s got something special, but it’s taken him a little while to settle down and I also think playing under a great manager, who really wants to improve his game and has been playing him in his right position has made a big difference.

“Alex is down to earth. You can’t expect a player to give any more than he does. Whether it’s going well for him or not, you can guarantee he’ll put sweat on his jersey, and that’s what you want from a player – to give 100 per cent at any given time. That, for me, is the minimum requirement for a player and Alex gives that every time.

“I’ve always said to him that he can be too honest! But [playing in different positions] shows he is willing to sacrifice for the team, even if that affects his personal goals and performances.

“I’m glad to see him playing regularly in his natural position, where he can get on the ball and make things happen.

“I think Everton are enjoying the best of Alex now and we’re all delighted that he’s playing well.”
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: TIME TO ASK: Is HE Better than JJ??

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Have you ran out of topics to write about? See wetin DNQ don cause? If to say we qualify now you go have better tins to write. This one no be am at all at all. If prime JJ enters a room with prime Iwobi, Iwobi must stand until asked to be seated.

Opari, nothing less is acceptable.
OCCUPY NFF!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

EII,

I see what you’re doing. You’re bored to death and you’re hopping to spur a spirited debate with your rather incendiary statement😀 but you and I both know that Iwobi isn’t at Okocha’s level. Okocha was a consistent game changer almost everywhere he played. Iwobi isn’t quite that yet❗️

Cheers.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

I think though Okocha was already in his late late 20s/early 30s when he blossomed
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Iwobi is class, oo, but bobo no near Jay Jay at all
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:04 pm I think though Okocha was already in his late late 20s/early 30s when he blossomed
Okocha was only 20 at the 1994 World Cup❗️

Cheers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:39 pm Have you ran out of topics to write about? See wetin DNQ don cause? If to say we qualify now you go have better tins to write. This one no be am at all at all. If prime JJ enters a room with prime Iwobi, Iwobi must stand until asked to be seated.

Emir, na EII you dey tok to like dis, eh? Well, make you no let EII see am-oo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:04 pm I think though Okocha was already in his late late 20s/early 30s when he blossomed
... if so, there is no delay with Alex's progress, then
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:38 pm

Cheers.
Sure, but how well did Okocha do in the 1994 world cup?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Cheers.
yea but he was nobody until he went Bolton and signed by Reebok and he was 28

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Odas wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:45 pm

Cheers.
Did not play in the first game against Bulgaria, made a cameo against Argentina in the 89th minute but he was brilliant against Greece and Italy. His performance against Greece probably earned him the start against Italy. When commentators talked about Nigeria’s “flair” in that era, they were referring mostly to JJ Okocha❗️

Cheers.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Odas wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:42 pm
... if so, there is no delay with Alex's progress, then
He's ma oga but this thread is very Bigpokeyish!
OCCUPY NFF!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:20 pm

Cheers.
Did not play in the first game against Bulgaria, made a cameo against Argentina in the 89th minute but he was brilliant against Greece and Italy. His performance against Greece probably earned him the start against Italy. When commentators talked about Nigeria’s “flair” in that era, they were referring mostly to JJ Okocha❗️

Cheers.
flair as in clowning around with ball

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:18 pm

Cheers.
This blatant display of ignorance despite the internet and google. Okocha was a legend in Germany and in Turkey. That’s what earned him a transfer to PSG which, at the time, was the most expensive transfer for an African footballer❗️

Cheers.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:30 pm

Cheers.
This blatant display of ignorance despite the internet and google. Okocha was a legend in Germany and in Turkey. That’s what earned him a transfer to PSG which, at the time, was the most expensive transfer for an African footballer❗️

Cheers.
we are not talking about transfer fee; we are talking about when did he blossom. It was at Bolton. And that neither super lig, league 1 nor Bundesliga held the apogee of football. which why he agreed a free transfer to EPL because that where you go to have your name written in the sky and i can bet your balls that okocha became known by most people not at PSG or Turkey nor Germany but at BOLTON. this is why you guys flunk waec

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:39 pm Have you ran out of topics to write about? See wetin DNQ don cause? If to say we qualify now you go have better tins to write. This one no be am at all at all. If prime JJ enters a room with prime Iwobi, Iwobi must stand until asked to be seated.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Emir,

I am a fan of JJ. Thus, for me to make this comparison requires major conviction. JJ was the dream and when he had the ball at his feet, it was incredible to watch. As I have written in the past, he is one of the few who created their own dribbling moves. Not Messi and not Zidane. The few include the likes of Pele, Maradona, Okocha and Ronaldinho. I do not rely on stories, I have watched them all. In Pele's case, his videos. It is an exclusive club. Those with a signature dribble. Iwobi is not and will not be among those but neither is Messi or Zidane. This is not to compare Iwobi to those greats but simply to note the worth of the dribble invention. It does not remove an iota of someone's greatness.

So why now do I bring up Iwobi? I have watched Iwobi for a long period BUT Iwobi of the last 12 months or so is different. This is a different guy, with a different conviction, and his bar can be above JJ Okocha. That, my friend, is REAL! I watched Iwobi against Ecuador and I saw a guy dominate the midfield thoroughly. It was not like Okocha who dominated when we had the ball. Iwobi dominates with and WITHOUT the ball. That is an entirely different level. The only question and doubt is -- FOR HOW LONG WILL HE DO THIS? If he continues at this level for the next three years, Iwobi will be the bar and not JJ. Take that to the bank. Be convinced. It is not a joke. It is reality.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

jette1 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:05 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:30 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
we are not talking about transfer fee; we are talking about when did he blossom. It was at Bolton. And that neither super lig, league 1 nor Bundesliga held the apogee of football. which why he agreed a free transfer to EPL because that where you go to have your name written in the sky and i can bet your balls that okocha became known by most people not at PSG or Turkey nor Germany but at BOLTON. this is why you guys flunk waec
You are talking absolute nonsense, Okocha, my friend, was selected to the all FIFA team in 1998. He was already a household name by the time he got to France❗️

Cheers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:25 pm
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:20 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
flair as in clowning around with ball
... and losing possession to opponents and with no positive 'end' results
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:53 pm In my view, this guy AT THE MOMENT is arguably better than JJ at his prime for Nigeria. I agree that it may require Alex playing at this level for a much longer period for a fairer comparison.... But his play now is lights out and far more positive and his workrate excellent both with and without the ball.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You people will kill person with COMEDY on CE…
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:18 pmyea but he was nobody until he went Bolton and signed by Reebok and he was 28
“Natives!” [in my best Cellular imitation] :lol:

JJ had STARRED in 2 WCs, won AFCON and Olympics gold before joining Bolton..
But you think that it was playing for Fat Sam Alladyce that made him a ‘somebody’! SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

A hilarious thread, but it also makes me realize the similarities he shares with Mikel Obi, so much so that the Okocha comparisons are a big reason they have both been so misunderstood by a lot of Nigerians.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Gotti wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:14 am
jette1 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:18 pmyea but he was nobody until he went Bolton and signed by Reebok and he was 28
“Natives!” [in my best Cellular imitation] :lol:

JJ had STARRED in 2 WCs, won AFCON and Olympics gold before joining Bolton..
But you think that it was playing for Fat Sam Alladyce that made him a ‘somebody’! SMH
:lol: And so did all the 22 players that made up the Team; na one player de go afcon, WC or olympics. :shock:
Let’s face it no one is saying that Bolton or big Sam made jay and if that’s the thought you are barking against then relax. And lets settle this now with one simple fact; when & at what team was okocha’s peak ? (Peak is the highest point you climb to before you start climbing down) It definitely was not PSG nor was Saudi Arabia or Hull city. So what’s the answer ?