Nigeria 2-1 Chile (U17 women's tournament)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Adisboy
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria 1 vs Chile 0 (U17 women's tournament)

Post by Adisboy »

jette1 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:51 pm
OJI wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:35 pm Mental preparation, and tournament success.

Are we really ready?

Reminds me of WC 94. Leading a team 1-0, and not delivering the killer blow.

Remember WC 2018 against Argentina?

We have to be in a position goalwise so as the other team doesn't even THINK of equalizing.

Why do we let the foot off the pedal so to speak?

We leave ourselves to discretionary calls to help the other team believe in getting something out of the match.

Setting the tone, and putting your team well up eliminates the dark arts, and discretionary calls other teams must use to equalize or win.

Are we serious about winning or are just happy to be at that stage of the tournament?

I had major beef with Rohr, and his stated defeatist mentality. He cascaded his lack of confidence to his players. Not to compete, talk less of winning but just happy to be there!

This has to be a coaching issue. You don't get this with the German team across all age grades, and competitions. If you have an opportunity to remind the other team of your superiority and belief, you don't waste it! Superiority anchored on talent, skills, team cohesion, decision making, detailed preparation and analysis of opponents, etc.

We are not there to learn!

It appears the players are assembled , but the mental preparation leaves much to be desired.
I cant say I'm familiar with this particular coach & history but given his age it appears he has been there for a while or perhaps upgraded to national coaching position. At this point lets just support the team. don't forget Chile was fighting for their lives and you never want to play such team regardless of how bad they may be. So we survived not getting slaughtered by Germany and managed to scale Chile. we did what we needed to do & it appears they know to play when it matters regardless of the coaching. Regardless, these are kids and they want to win and any political undertone going on in the background isn't their fault. It's now about focusing on one game at a time going forward.
I am shocked by the highlighted quote. I'm wondering whether it was the same match I watched that you are talking about. A game in which the scoreline flattered the Chileans. We had 28 (twenty-eight) shots at goal and over 8 on target. In the 2nd half the Chilean goalkeeper pulled of at least 3 world class saves to keep the score down and even at that we took a 2nil lead. The Chileans had only 2 shots on goal, one of which the very fortunate penalty the got via VAR. Even after that we had 2 further chances to increase the lead. It was in no way a "managed" win. They attack better than the U20 team as they create loads of chances. I fancy our chances against USA as they have just been shinning with Morocco & India. They struggled against Brazil. The way we analyse matches in CE na wa! Never rely on CE for an accurate, objective description of a match.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:27 pm

Are we really ready?

We have to be in a position goalwise so as the other team doesn't even THINK of equalizing.

We leave ourselves to discretionary calls to help the other team believe in getting something out of the match.

Setting the tone, and putting your team well up eliminates the dark arts, and discretionary calls other teams must use to equalize or win.

Are we serious about winning or are just happy to be at that stage of the tournament?

I had major beef with Rohr, and his stated defeatist mentality. He cascaded his lack of confidence to his players. Not to compete, talk less of winning but just happy to be there!

This has to be a coaching issue. You don't get this with the German team across all age grades, and competitions. If you have an opportunity to remind the other team of your superiority and belief, you don't waste it! Superiority anchored on talent, skills, team cohesion, decision making, detailed preparation and analysis of opponents, etc.

It appears the players are assembled , but the mental preparation leaves much to be desired.
I cant say I'm familiar with this particular coach & history but given his age it appears he has been there for a while or perhaps upgraded to national coaching position. At this point lets just support the team. don't forget Chile was fighting for their lives and you never want to play such team regardless of how bad they may be. So we survived not getting slaughtered by Germany and managed to scale Chile. we did what we needed to do & it appears they know to play when it matters regardless of the coaching. Regardless, these are kids and they want to win and any political undertone going on in the background isn't their fault. It's now about focusing on one game at a time going forward.
I am shocked by the highlighted quote. I'm wondering whether it was the same match I watched that you are talking about. A game in which the scoreline flattered the Chileans. We had 28 (twenty-eight) shots at goal and over 8 on target. In the 2nd half the Chilean goalkeeper pulled of at least 3 world class saves to keep the score down and even at that we took a 2nil lead. The Chileans had only 2 shots on goal, one of which the very fortunate penalty the got via VAR. Even after that we had 2 further chances to increase the lead. It was in no way a "managed" win. They attack better than the U20 team as they create loads of chances. I fancy our chances against USA as they have just been shinning with Morocco & India. They struggled against Brazil. The way we analyse matches in CE na wa! Never rely on CE for an accurate, objective description of a match.
I guess you can’t distinguish between a summary and analysis. I summarized the overall state of the team and didn’t even focus on the match you are talking about or any other match. The score is what counts, you don’t get a point for number of shots taken. Despite all the shots you mentioned Chileans were just one goal to derailing our qualification with time running out and they came close to equalizing hence that’s a scale through. All of our dominance would have amounted to nothing had they equalized with no time left on the clock to make amends. We would have tied with them on points had they equalized. Perhaps we might have earned best placed second finisher had they equalized. My point is we avoided all that and scaled through.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

jette1 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 pm
Adisboy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:27 pm

Are we really ready?

I guess you can’t distinguish between a summary and analysis. I summarized the overall state of the team and didn’t even focus on the match you are talking about or any other match. The score is what counts, you don’t get a point for number of shots taken. Despite all the shots you mentioned Chileans were just one goal to derailing our qualification with time running out and they came close to equalizing hence that’s a scale through. All of our dominance would have amounted to nothing had they equalized with no time left on the clock to make amends. We would have tied with them on points had they equalized. Perhaps we might have earned best placed second finisher had they equalized. My point is we avoided all that and scaled through.
Even if they had equalized, it would have done them no good. All we needed to go through was a draw but we got the win. The score line was extremely flattering to the Chileans because they were just a hair’s breadth away from being overwhelmed by our offense and they didn’t come close to causing us any problems; until the ref intervened unfairly… and that goes back to what I said earlier; in order for us to win going forward, we have to be much better than the opponent ❗️

Cheers.