How good a footballer is Asisat Oshoala?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Polly
Egg
Egg
How good a footballer is Asisat Oshoala?

Post by Polly »

I mean this as a serious question. I have never really been able to watch her play an important match let alone a tournament for Nigeria. She either does not come to camp, or she departs camp or a match with an injury. Even when she is on the pitch, I cannot say I have seen her impact a match the way players like Mercy Akide and Perpetua Nkwocha did a decade or two ago. Her claim to fame and her accolades seem to be attributable to her club record.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
OSHOALA Hailed in Spain.....BALLER

Post by Enugu II »

The tweet! Barcelona key into Nigerian street lingo to hail Oshoala
https://soccernet.ng/2022/10/the-tweet- ... hoala.html
Rilwan Balogun by Rilwan Balogun 51 mins ago in News, NewsNow, Nigeria 0

It has been trending for some weeks now and arguably Nigeria and Africa’s greatest female footballer ever is in the middle of it

A popular Nigerian social media slang has made its way down to Spain where one of Barcelona’s finest players is running the show.
In a tweet on Thursday on FC Barcelona Femeni official Twitter page, Oshoala was described as “Agba Baller” a tag she got from a skit that has been making the rounds across the Nigerian social media space.

“Agba baller” is a tag usually given to good footballers on Nigerian streets.

Oshoala stands out as one of the game’s best players, with her latest ranking as #16 in the Ballon D’Or underlining her soaring level in the game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: How good a footballer is Asisat Oshoala?

Post by waka-man »

Blistering pace
Amazing athleticism
Daring runs
Decent in the air
Can be twinkle-toed at pace (see WC goal against Korea)

Terrifies defenders because if she’s isolates you you’re in real trouble.

Can be a bit bone-headed with decision making and misses too many goals.

All in all, very much like her male counterpart, Osimhen and like him, on a bad day can piss you off but when she’s in the mood, totally unplayable.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Polly wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:31 pm I mean this as a serious question. I have never really been able to watch her play an important match let alone a tournament for Nigeria. She either does not come to camp, or she departs camp or a match with an injury. Even when she is on the pitch, I cannot say I have seen her impact a match the way players like Mercy Akide and Perpetua Nkwocha did a decade or two ago. Her claim to fame and her accolades seem to be attributable to her club record.
A club football legend.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Thunder
Egg
Egg
Re: OSHOALA Hailed in Spain.....BALLER

Post by Thunder »

With 2 assists & 2 goals against Benfica in the WCL yesterday, she truly deserves that monicker. Agba Baller, indeed!
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

We need to fast track the grooming of that Opeyemi in the Flamingos for the Super Falcons. Her pace is out of this world!

I agree with the original post. I have never understood the hype for Oshoala as it relates to the Super Falcons. I can't remember any Falcons game I have watched that she was the standout. Ajibade on the other hand, has been a standout in almost every game I have watched her play for the Super Falcons.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

I don’t know about all that
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

finished 11th or 16th in the female word player of the year.. what a baller
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:21 pm We need to fast track the grooming of that Opeyemi in the Flamingos for the Super Falcons. Her pace is out of this world!

I agree with the original post. I have never understood the hype for Oshoala as it relates to the Super Falcons. I can't remember any Falcons game I have watched that she was the standout. Ajibade on the other hand, has been a standout in almost every game I have watched her play for the Super Falcons.
we didn't see the same energy when we saw Rivers United ( mammy water FC) last weekend
SuperEagles

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:01 pm
1naija wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:21 pm We need to fast track the grooming of that Opeyemi in the Flamingos for the Super Falcons. Her pace is out of this world!

we didn't see the same energy when we saw Rivers United ( mammy water FC) last weekend
:rotf: :rotf: :woot:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Thunder wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:21 pm With 2 assists & 2 goals against Benfica in the WCL yesterday, she truly deserves that monicker. Agba Baller, indeed!
I guess the Nigerian frustration with her is similar to Argentina’s with Messi.
Barcelona too dey like to myze talent for demsef.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I thought it was Ajakaiye that had extra horsepower in her legs.
That girl get like two additional gears…
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Damunk wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:06 pm

I thought it was Ajakaiye that had extra horsepower in her legs.
That girl get like two additional gears…
That beautiful striker bears both names- she is Opeyemi Ajakaye. She'll score against the US.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Legendary for club, average for country.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

she is better than any Striker in the Falcons squad, the last WAFCON she was in/fit , we won. Without her we had the slow Onomenu who couldn't out-perform her . She is the best player in AFRICA for both club and country. She has been carrying the FALCONS for years. FACTS and not feelings

Some of you here are stating she had been below par for the SF.. now name one SF player who has surpassed her in green white greeen . I dey wait una
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:49 am she is better than any Striker in the Falcons squad, the last WAFCON she was in/fit , we won. Without her we had the slow Onomenu who couldn't out-perform her . She is the best player in AFRICA for both club and country. She has been carrying the FALCONS for years. FACTS and not feelings

Some of you here are stating she had been below par for the SF.. now name one SF player who has surpassed her in green white greeen . I dey wait una
I can’t recall when she ever carried the falcons may be before she was born ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."