MUSING: ON THE SACK OF ROHR and APPOINTMENT OF PESEIRO......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
MUSING: ON THE SACK OF ROHR and APPOINTMENT OF PESEIRO......

Post by Enugu II »

With the news on non-payment of Jose Peseiro by the Sports Ministry it has become a bit clear the circumstances that surround the firing of Gernot Rohr. Make no mistake, the sacking of Rohr was the right decision given the unprecedented poor results achieved by the SE at the time including a monumental home loss to CAR. However, the recent issues with Peseiro's payment exposes some likely issues associated with the removal of Gernot Rohr. I speculate below:
1. It was clear from the get go that Minister Dare was itching to put his stamp on the Managership of the national team. It remains unclear why the interest? But there is no doubt that he had been intricately involved and interested (https://www.completesports.com/sports-m ... rohr-sack/) even at the time Rohr's job had seemed stable. If you recall, he never denied going on a Manager-searching expedition to England and names were mentioned as possible replacements for Rohr. However, Rohr could not be removed at the time given the team was doing reasonably well. However, Dare could bid his time.
2. The home loss to CAR provided the opportunity to get rid of Rohr. The loss was the apex of a series of poor results at home by the SE under Gernot Rohr. Rohr was then deservedly removed by the NFF. The opportunity was clearly available to Minister Dare to wield the big stick https://cheeronnigeria.blogspot.com/202 ... nsist.html. The question was that the private concern, who was responsible for payment of Rohr, was not entirely on board with this decision. But to be clear, the private company was also not timely in paying Gernot Rohr when that arrangement existed. Dare moved quickly to promise that the FGN will bear the costs for paying a new coach. That also meant that the Ministry will assume new powers not only in the appointment of a new manager but also over the NFF matters. Dare had clearly won to establish his power of the NFF.

3. Now, and in spite of this new won power, the payment of a new Manager has fallen into the issues that often affect the state wages and concerns .... monumental delays and approval processes. Peseiro is the victim of this process. He cannot escape it now. This isn't a payment from private organization but by a bureaucratic and slow moving state process.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: MUSING: ON THE SACK OF ROHR and APPOINTMENT OF PESEIRO......

Post by mystic »

I think that's a good reading of the situation. However while the sacking of Gernot Rohr was an understandable decision given the home loss to Central African Republic, as well the Super Eagles general uninspired play; I disagree that it was the correct decision. When you factor in an early exit at the Nations Cup, A failure to qualify for the World Cup inspite of being paired against a historically poor Ghanaian side, and then on top of all these, being unable to pay for the wages of both the coach that you fired and the one you hired; I'm not sure how anyone can opine that it was the right decision.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

mystic wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:06 pm I think that's a good reading of the situation. However while the sacking of Gernot Rohr was an understandable decision given the home loss to Central African Republic, as well the Super Eagles general uninspired play; I disagree that it was the correct decision. When you factor in an early exit at the Nations Cup, A failure to qualify for the World Cup inspite of being paired against a historically poor Ghanaian side, and then on top of all these, being unable to pay for the wages of both the coach that you fired and the one you hired; I'm not sure how anyone can opine that it was the right decision.
They keep saying that because of ego. They don't want to admit they were wrong despite all the evidence pointing to that fact.

Regarding the topic of this thread, abeg, I'm getting to the point now where I don't even care anymore. Maybe we should just deprioritise football and only use the local coaches that are willing to go for several months without getting paid. It'll be unfortunate for us ardent SE fans, but it'll hardly make any difference to most Nigerians who are too busy trying to make ends meet to care about football.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:50 pm
mystic wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:06 pm I think that's a good reading of the situation. However while the sacking of Gernot Rohr was an understandable decision given the home loss to Central African Republic, as well the Super Eagles general uninspired play; I disagree that it was the correct decision. When you factor in an early exit at the Nations Cup, A failure to qualify for the World Cup inspite of being paired against a historically poor Ghanaian side, and then on top of all these, being unable to pay for the wages of both the coach that you fired and the one you hired; I'm not sure how anyone can opine that it was the right decision.
They keep saying that because of ego. They don't want to admit they were wrong despite all the evidence pointing to that fact.
100%.
Regarding the topic of this thread, abeg, I'm getting to the point now where I don't even care anymore. Maybe we should just deprioritise football and only use the local coaches that are willing to go for several months without getting paid. It'll be unfortunate for us ardent SE fans,
I don't think Nigerians have the liver to go through with it - not even those waxing lyrical about local coaches. There will be riots on the streets and women will go on a sex strike.
Sebi they are still in denial, sayng "it doesn't matter" that we DNQ.
See what happens when it becomes the norm, plus an AFCON 2nd round exit.
...but it'll hardly make any difference to most Nigerians who are too busy trying to make ends meet to care about football.
I'm not sure whether "most" is accurate or not.
But millions of Nigerians use football as an anti-depressant.
I know how I used to feel as a student and even into my married life with kids whenever the SE lost a game. I am more in control now but this DNQ status still annoys me knowing how we stupidly cut off our nose to spite our face.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:54 pm
100%.
Regarding the topic of this thread, abeg, I'm getting to the point now where I don't even care anymore. Maybe we should just deprioritise football and only use the local coaches that are willing to go for several months without getting paid. It'll be unfortunate for us ardent SE fans,
I don't think Nigerians have the liver to go through with it - not even those waxing lyrical about local coaches. There will be riots on the streets and women will go on a sex strike.
...but it'll hardly make any difference to most Nigerians who are too busy trying to make ends meet to care about football.
I know how I used to feel as a student and even into my married life with kids whenever the SE lost a game. I am more in control now but this DNQ status still annoys me knowing how we stupidly cut off our nose to spite our face.
The whole SE management thing is just so frustrating abeg. I can't even make sense of it.

I'm of the belief that if you want to do something, do it properly, or don't even bother. Half-hearted efforts get you nowhere.

I see a lot of half-hearted efforts with the SE. No one is talking about the fact that the decline of Rohr's team coincided with the coach not getting paid and players not getting paid their bonuses. There was a controversy involving the non-payment of player bonuses just before we lost to CAR. Everyone buries their head in the sand and acts as if that is not contributing to poor results.

You're right that the Nigerian ego means they'll not officially deprioritise football, but at the same time, they're making no effort to do things properly. The fans will just keep suffering. Those who are wise have probably turned away by now.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Orion wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:11 am
Damunk wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:54 pm
100%.
The whole SE management thing is just so frustrating abeg. I can't even make sense of it.

I'm of the belief that if you want to do something, do it properly, or don't even bother. Half-hearted efforts get you nowhere.

I see a lot of half-hearted efforts with the SE. No one is talking about the fact that the decline of Rohr's team coincided with the coach not getting paid and players not getting paid their bonuses. There was a controversy involving the non-payment of player bonuses just before we lost to CAR. Everyone buries their head in the sand and acts as if that is not contributing to poor results.

You're right that the Nigerian ego means they'll not officially deprioritise football, but at the same time, they're making no effort to do things properly. The fans will just keep suffering. Those who are wise have probably turned away by now.
You are making too much sense.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

All this talk talk. It's simple. It's Pinnick who campaigned for Passero. The minister preferred Eguaveon. It's not the ministers fault here.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I was happy with Rohr’s sacking. He was beginning to lose his way.

But there’s no denying things went downhill from there.

We failed to make the necessary changes to get someone in for the Afcon, a massive opportunity to get the team tuned for the playoffs and a subsequent WC.

In retrospect, maybe one should have known the sacking Rohr would only have made sense if we had a competent federation who could use it as a positive reset. Instead, they left us in a worse place than before.

Rohr would have gotten us to an Afcon semi and the WC first round. That would have been very unfulfilling, but clearly better than the doldrums we find ourselves in now.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

I think it was correct to sack Rohr, but NFF should have hired a good manager, and both Eguavoen and Peseiro aren't.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

waka-man wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:08 am I was happy with Rohr’s sacking. He was beginning to lose his way.

We failed to make the necessary changes to get someone in for the Afcon, a massive opportunity to get the team tuned for the playoffs and a subsequent WC.

In retrospect, maybe one should have known the sacking Rohr would only have made sense if we had a competent federation who could use it as a positive reset. Instead, they left us in a worse place than before.

Rohr would have gotten us to an Afcon semi and the WC first round. That would have been very unfulfilling, but clearly better than the doldrums we find ourselves in now.
...if they can't pay a poor manager small money how are they gonna hire a "good manager" they would have to pay more?
I think y'all are missing the quagmire in our football. Poor, inexperienced, unprofessional, and cheating administrators.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pindal123 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:30 am I think it was correct to sack Rohr, but NFF should have hired a good manager, and both Eguavoen and Peseiro aren't.
Chief, were you part of the pre-sacking debate at all?
Do you know how many times it was asked WHO would replace Rohr when they were all jumping up and down baying for his blood?
Do you know what the answers were?
1. No answer (“let’s just sack him first”)
2. Eguavon (“he’s done the job before”)
3. One of many nameless “good NPFL coaches”

How can you sack someone for someone worse, or even more scandalously, not even knowing his replacement?
That’s the “good” decision you are championing.
How are you different from the “clueless” NFF?

Tomorrow they will appoint you NFF Chairman and you will receive the same abuse all current and past NFF Members have been served.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

waka-man wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:08 am I was happy with Rohr’s sacking. He was beginning to lose his way.

The ‘WOWO Police” will tell you we are currently better off.
That DNQ “doesn’t mattter”.
So what was the whole hullabaloo about in the first place?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: