This world cup year is boring

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
This world cup year is boring

Post by Tobi17 »

Is it just me or does this world cup just feel very uneventful and flat? not even saying this from a place of "DNQ painment" but previous world cup years always had this spectacular fanfare and excitement even weeks leading to the Mundial...this year's version just feels so forced. Maybe because it's in Qatar with a reputation for gross abuse of human rights, or winter isn't just the right season to have a world cup.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg
Re: This world cup year is boring

Post by Ugbowo »

We were just saying that in a group chat I am in.

This is the most uninterested I have been about a WC. Middle of the season makes it like an after thought. The fact that thee will be important league games 6 days from the start makes it somehow. Even though we have the experience from our AFCON, I still feel weird about this.

There needs to be at least 3 weeks gap to allow for the fanfare and analysis and training camps etc.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

This is the most low key world cup since I started watching WCs in 1978.
There is no awareness that a WC is in 2 weeks time, the usual media build up is absent and attention is focused on the domestic leagues.
I believe this is the last time FIFA will move the WC away from the traditional summer time.
Key players are getting injured and missing the tournament. This tournament appears to be over before it has begun.
I am happy
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The issue is because we are having a worldcup close to Christmas break. It is so off. Also the games will be early hours, from 4AM to 1pm. dem for host this tourney for Europe or SA

They should void the worldcup . There is war in Ukraine and Covid don scatter market..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

While it's sad our SE did not make Qatar 2022, football lovers worldwide
are still looking forward to the event.
What competition breeds is winners and losers, and not coronation, as this
not kids football where everyone gets a trophy. Thus competing entities, like
our SE, need to be prepared to compete. Our preparations generally indicate
why we did not qualify for Qatar 2022, and that should not diminish the enthusiasm of lovers of the game.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Here comes the "gross human rights" talking points again :roll:

I do agree that it does feel a bit flat and I don't care whether Nigeria qualified or not, the SE have been crap in recent years anyway and watching them has been a chore.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:46 pm The issue is because we are having a worldcup close to Christmas break. It is so off. Also the games will be early hours, from 4AM to 1pm. dem for host this tourney for Europe or SA

They should void the worldcup . There is war in Ukraine and Covid don scatter market..
"I'm not going to enjoy the world cup so nobody should be able to enjoy it to!"

Reminds me of those folks who want a show cancelled because they no longer want to watch it. If you don't want to watch the World Cup then just don't and leave others to watch it.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:56 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:46 pm The issue is because we are having a worldcup close to Christmas break. It is so off. Also the games will be early hours, from 4AM to 1pm. dem for host this tourney for Europe or SA

Reminds me of those folks who want a show cancelled because they no longer want to watch it. If you don't want to watch the World Cup then just don't and leave others to watch it.
:agree: :clap: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:56 pm

to each their own..I look forward to you watching the games at 4 AM :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Poor man dey say beer no dey sweet.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Dammy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:30 pm This is the most low key world cup since I started watching WCs in 1978.
There is no awareness that a WC is in 2 weeks time, the usual media build up is absent and attention is focused on the domestic leagues.
I believe this is the last time FIFA will move the WC away from the traditional summer time.
Key players are getting injured and missing the tournament
. This tournament appears to be over before it has begun.
The WC will not be played in the winter ever again. The people that took money to make it happen are no longer in FIFA and it is hard to take the hosting right away from Qatar.

To be fair, most countries miss a player or two right before the WC and this one will not be an exception. Over the years, guys like Mikel, Moses Simon, Ike Shorumu, etc. have all missed the WC due to injuries. To be honest, Kanu and Amokachi should not have played in the 98 WC. As for Pogbs, I don’t feel bad for him. The guy had a chance to have surgery during the off-season and he refused. Weird how Kante and Ndidi went from the best in their position to now being referred to as injury prone.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Agree. I've little interest in this event and Nigeria's non-qualification is the least of the reasons.

Timing is wrong. There's no real build up or excitement I've witnessed. Good players are getting injured and will miss the tournament. Maybe it'll be a good tournament - I hope so - but I've no interest in this. Also, I usually go to WC games but had no interest in visiting Qatar.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:51 pm Agree. I've little interest in this event and Nigeria's non-qualification is the least of the reasons.

Timing is wrong. There's no real build up or excitement I've witnessed. Good players are getting injured and will miss the tournament. Maybe it'll be a good tournament - I hope so - but I've no interest in this. Also, I usually go to WC games but had no interest in visiting Qatar.
442 8-) and the Brazil 2014 exploits.. shey you go reach State side in 2026?( God willing)
SuperEagles

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:30 pm This is the most low key world cup since I started watching WCs in 1978.
Key players are getting injured and missing the tournament. This tournament appears to be over before it has begun.
That's the major problem.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Tobi17 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:10 pm Is it just me or does this world cup just feel very uneventful and flat? not even saying this from a place of "DNQ painment" but previous world cup years always had this spectacular fanfare and excitement even weeks leading to the Mundial...this year's version just feels so forced. Maybe because it's in Qatar with a reputation for gross abuse of human rights, or winter isn't just the right season to have a world cup.
isn't it a case of I hate you, don't leave me -a double bind theory playing out in your head combined with cognitive distortion to quell pain of not being in Qatar. if you cant have it, come up with self fulfilling reasons to hate it
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:50 pm
That's the major problem.
Problem how?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The World Cup is low key this year and it has little to do with Nigeria not being there. The fact is that media focus on the Cup is important to grow heightened public interest.

This year that is not the case because the focus is currently on the European leagues. In usual World Cup years, those leagues would have ended with a full focus by media on the World Cup.

Ultimately, this is something FIFA is contending with and a World Cup like this will not happen again.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

European summer time, not traditional summer time.

In Naija, what we had was Wet and Dry season for farming (things might have changed now).
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:17 pm
European summer time, not traditional summer time.

In Naija, what we had was Wet and Dry season for farming (things might have changed now).
I'm sure, folks knew the summertime I was referring to.
I am happy
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:58 pm The World Cup is low key this year and it has little to do with Nigeria not being there. The fact is that media focus on the Cup is important to grow heightened public interest.

This year that is not the case because the focus is currently on the European leagues. In usual World Cup years, those leagues would have ended with a full focus by media on the World Cup.

Ultimately, this is something FIFA is contending with and a World Cup like this will not happen again.
Focus nonetheless would be on Nigerias group, our players, our coaching staff, strategy had we made it rather than on floating a thread on whether it is boring or not. If fact no one would even be preoccupied with anything but. Just like all the nations going are busy doing everything else except reading this thread.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:36 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:58 pm The World Cup is low key this year and it has little to do with Nigeria not being there. The fact is that media focus on the Cup is important to grow heightened public interest.

Focus nonetheless would be on Nigerias group, our players, our coaching staff, strategy had we made it rather than on floating a thread on whether it is boring or not. If fact no one would even be preoccupied with anything but. Just like all the nations going are busy doing everything else except reading this thread.
True but here the discourse is much more global and not narrowly on Nigeria. There was interest even when we missed the Workd Cup in 2006. Just as you have interest in EPL and ECL. The common denominator is media focus.

Ever heard of agenda setting theory? That is what is in play. Read up on that theory.

Here is also a source precisely on this topic https://blog.gwi.com/chart-of-the-week/ ... up-trends/

The hope is that in the next weeks or so, media interest will shift from European football to the World Cup and bet on the fact that the fever will hit this site as well. This is why the media are known to set the agenda for all of us.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

No fan from countries that will play in the world thinks it's boring.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:12 pm
jette1 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:36 pm

True but here the discourse is much more global and not narrowly on Nigeria. There was interest even when we missed the Workd Cup in 2006. Just as you have interest in EPL and ECL. The common denominator is media focus.

Ever heard of agenda setting theory? That is what is in play. Read up on that theory.

Here is also a source precisely on this topic https://blog.gwi.com/chart-of-the-week/ ... up-trends/

The hope is that in the next weeks or so, media interest will shift from European football to the World Cup and bet on the fact that the fever will hit this site as well. This is why the media are known to set the agenda for all of us.
So Enugu is trying to convince us that if went to the streets of Qatar right now agenda theory would show that World Cup is boring and not a focus or priority. Yea when you are African giant but you neither can host nor even qualify losers agenda would be consistent with your theory. Of course the agenda in a jail cell isn’t going to be lobster dinner. Who exactly sets the agenda On what ? The losers are going to try to set the agenda here on anything but. If you were in Accra or any of the qualifying nations the agenda isn’t going to tailor loser agenda