Ex-Super Eagles star (Victor Agali) reveals why Nigeria missed out on World Cup, impressed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Ex-Super Eagles star (Victor Agali) reveals why Nigeria missed out on World Cup, impressed

Post by iworo »

Former Super Eagles striker Victor Okechukwu Agali believes the change of coaching crew before the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon and the 2022 FIFA World Cup playoffs in March affected Nigeria's chances of qualifying for the tournament in Qatar.

Gernot Rohr was sacked by the Amaju Melvin Pinnick led Nigeria Football Federation and replaced on interim basis by former international Austin Eguavoen but the Tunisia '94 Africa Cup of Nations winner could not steer the three-time African champions to a seventh World Cup appearance.

Ghana picked one of Africa's five World Cup tickets at the expense of Nigeria on the away goals rule after a goalless first leg tie in Kumasi and 1-1 at the Moshood Abiola stadium, Abuja. Agali shared his thoughts on Brila FM on Monday 13 days to the start of the tournament.

"The Management (NFF) at that time took a drastic decision," Agali who played a crucial role in the Eagles' passage to the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan told Brila FM.

Speaking further on the composition of the current Super Eagles team under substantive coach Jose Peseiro who has not been paid of his salaries since his appointment, Agali who played for Hansa Rostok in the German Bundesliga said the following:

"We still have problems defensively but offensively, we are good to go.

"The strikers are in form at the moment. Hopefully that continues so that we pick up a 2023 Afcon ticket. Missing the World Cup is a big disappointment," Agali added.

Nigerian strikers were in great scoring form over the weekend with Victor Osimhen scoring one and assisting the other in Napoli's 2-1 win over Atalanta.

Ademola Lookman scored one of Atalanta's goals from the penalty spot given away by Osimhen.

Paul Onuachu scored four goals for his Belgian side in the Pro leaguein the last round of matches albeit he has not produced so much of that form for the national team.

Terem Moffi also continued his form in the French Ligue 1 as he scored his ninth goal of the season in Lorient's 1-2 defeat to PSG this weekend.

Moffi is third on the goal scorers chart in France behind the illustrious PSG duo of Kylian Mbappe and Neymar junior who have scored 11 Ligue 1 goals..

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=45398
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ex-Super Eagles star (Victor Agali) reveals why Nigeria missed out on World Cup, impressed

Post by jette1 »

Reveals ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: Ex-Super Eagles star (Victor Agali) reveals why Nigeria missed out on World Cup, impressed

Post by iworo »

jette1 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:06 amReveals ?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

I am not too sure Agali is correct because Cameroon also sacked their coach and brought in Song and they qualifies.
Just another point of view.

I believe the reason Nigeria did not qualify is because the players and the country as a whole believed the qualification was in the bag before the game.

My humble opinion.

Visie
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

visieC wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:07 am I am not too sure Agali is correct because Cameroon also sacked their coach and brought in Song and they qualifies.

I believe the reason Nigeria did not qualify is because the players and the country as a whole believed the qualification was in the bag before the game.

My humble opinion.

Visie
Osimhen is a great player but he kept going for the spectacular instead of the simple when presented with several chances to score. Just one of those goes in and we would be telling a different story.

Wha choo looking at?!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

iworo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:36 pm Ex-Super Eagles star (Victor Agali) reveals why Nigeria missed out on World Cup, impressed

Former Super Eagles striker Victor Okechukwu Agali believes the change of coaching crew before the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon and the 2022 FIFA World Cup playoffs in March affected Nigeria's chances of qualifying for the tournament in Qatar.
Any rational, honest person knows this by now, given all the events that have transpired since the sacking.

You can say well, it's just the benefit of hindsight, but some of us could see this coming because WE HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE!
Amodu's sacking was a great example. In the time left, there was nothing a new coach could have done with that pool of players that would have been drastically different from what Amodu was getting out of them.

Even when Egu was winning the initial games at the AFCON and folks were celebrating a new dawn, I still had a sense of trepidation for our WC chances because history was telling me that sacking Rohr was a mistake.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
visieC
Egg
Egg

Post by visieC »

Orion wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:27 am
iworo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:36 pm Ex-Super Eagles star (Victor Agali) reveals why Nigeria missed out on World Cup, impressed

Any rational, honest person knows this by now, given all the events that have transpired since the sacking.

You can say well, it's just the benefit of hindsight, but some of us could see this coming because WE HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE!
Amodu's sacking was a great example. In the time left, there was nothing a new coach could have done with that pool of players that would have been drastically different from what Amodu was getting out of them.

Even when Egu was winning the initial games at the AFCON and folks were celebrating a new dawn, I still had a sense of trepidation for our WC chances because history was telling me that sacking Rohr was a mistake.
Orion:

You said it perfectly. Hindsight is 20/20.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

You people are still crying kai 🤣🤣🤣🤣
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Rigobert Song
Otto Addo

Both hired right before playoffs and won.

Song beat out a coach who has been with the team for over 4 years.

Egu had much more time with SE, than Addo had with Ghana.

It's more than simply hiring or firing a coach.

There are a number of reasons we failed.

Poor goalkeeping (Uzoho)
Poor finishing (Osimehn)
Selfish play (Moses Simon)
Inability to stay onside (Osimehn)
Poor player selection and tactics (Eguavoen)
Suspended player (Iwobi)
Injured players (Ndidi)
Failure to solidify midfield (Eguavoen)

There's plenty of blame to go around, it isn't one thing in particular

These all contributed. And the things we can blame Egu directly for Rohr was doing very similar things.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:06 amReveals ?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

visieC wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:42 am

Orion:

Nope, not in this case.
The debates were fast and furious and the warnings were made with the very predictable outcomes BEFORE Rohr was sacked. Even before Egu was ever mentioned or appointed, it was pointed out that there was NO COACH local or foreign capable of performing magic so close to AFCON.
Go check.

That was foresight, not hindsight.
But as usual, Nigerians will be Nigerians, hoping for a miracle to descend from heaven just in time. :rotf:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:32 am

Orion:

Nope, not in this case.
The debates were fast and furious and the warnings were made with the very predictable outcomes BEFORE Rohr was sacked. Even before Egu was ever mentioned or appointed, it was pointed out that there was NO COACH local or foreign capable of performing magic so close to AFCON.
Go check.

But as usual, Nigerians will be Nigerians, hoping for a miracle to descend from heaven just in time. :rotf:
I don’t agree with the highlighted. Ghana and Cameroon proved that a coach can perform magic with the right players.

I wasn’t expecting us to win AFCON with a new coach but we would have used AFCON to prepare the team for the WC qualifiers. But typical of the NFF and the usual Naija wuru wuru, we opted for a poor coach. Anyobody familiar with our football should know Eguavoen is poor, really poor. But it’s all history now. Hope we have learnt a small lesson.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 am
Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:32 am

Orion:

Nope, not in this case.
Go check.

I don’t agree with the highlighted. Ghana and Cameroon proved that a coach can perform magic with the right players.

I wasn’t expecting us to win AFCON with a new coach but we would have used AFCON to prepare the team for the WC qualifiers. But typical of the NFF and the usual Naija wuru wuru, we opted for a poor coach. Anyobody familiar with our football should know Eguavoen is poor, really poor.
Then a least 60% of our forum members must be unfamiliar with our football.
We argued this thing until we were tired.
I even broke down the final options to Amuneke, Eguavon and Finidi.
Of course, they were all “quite capable” of getting the job done according to the blinkered crowd, despite Yusuff’s abysmal record (and questionable ethics), Eguavon’s lack of active coaching duty and the untested Finidi’s inexperience.
Then of course there were the brilliant local coaches all in hiding or holding back their real skills from the NPFL. :rotf:
But it’s all history now. Hope we have learnt a small lesson.
YOURE JOKING, RIGHT?
Didn’t we say this after doing the Amodu Thing, twice?

We said that one too, but the comeback was “that one was different”.

We are Nigerians.
We will justify anything, clean mouth, face front. :clap:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk

Are we to assume that your foresight included the Video replay rendering Nigeria 10 v 11? And the foresight included Uzoho bumbling a harmless ball underneath himself?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:56 pm Didn’t we say this after doing the Amodu Thing, twice?
That's true. We did that to Amodu TWICE! I keep thinking only of 2010.

Of course, Amodu would have done better at the 2002 WC than Onigbinde's team. I actually preferred his team that got bronze at the AFCON. If it wasn't for that missed penalty by Oruma it could have been a NIG - CAM final.

We've got more than enough experience on this now, yet we keep repeating the same mistake. :(
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Lolly wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:03 am I don’t agree with the highlighted. Ghana and Cameroon proved that a coach can perform magic with the right players.
I don't agree that Song improved Cameroon. They had a decent team at the AFCON and I think the previous coach would have defeated Algeria comfortably. Song lost at home and was lucky to win away with the last kick of the game due to just sheer bad luck for Algeria who were the better side on the night.

Regarding Ghana, I have no problem with sacking a coach that failed spectacularly because team morale may be negatively affected as well. They had no choice. Our coach succeeded in his objective.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

All these Rohr boys thinking Rohr would have qualified for the WC are just fantasist.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:11 pm Damunk
Are we to assume that your foresight included the Video replay rendering Nigeria 10 v 11? And the foresight included Uzoho bumbling a harmless ball underneath himself?
Ah, Prof...we are making excuses now are we? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Where was all this .....understanding when we drew 4-4 with S/Leone and lost 0-1 at home to...who was it again?
I thought those results made up the "proof" that we would not and could not qualifyfor Qatar or go beyond R1 of AFCON.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:11 pm All these Rohr boys thinking Rohr would have qualified for the WC are just fantasist.
And you "progressives" are not fantasists in believing we would do better by getting rid of him with nobody capable of replacing?
See as your 'progression' don turn to regression. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:35 pm
fabio wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:11 pm All these Rohr boys thinking Rohr would have qualified for the WC are just fantasist.
And you "progressives" are not fantasists in believing we would do better by getting rid of him with nobody capable of replacing?
There was no guarantee Rohr would have qualified for the WC. I know it's hard for Rohr boys to comprehend.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:32 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:35 pm
There was no guarantee Rohr would have qualified for the WC. I know it's hard for Rohr boys to comprehend.
Fabio, nothing in life is guaranteed.
But you don’t go and jump in the Lagos lagoon because you are not sure you’ll be alive tomorrow.
Not sure why you ‘forward thinking’ boys find that even harder to comprehend. :rotf:
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:57 am Rigobert Song
Otto Addo

Both hired right before playoffs and won.

Song beat out a coach who has been with the team for over 4 years.

Egu had much more time with SE, than Addo had with Ghana.

It's more than simply hiring or firing a coach.

There are a number of reasons we failed.

Poor goalkeeping (Uzoho)
Poor finishing (Osimehn)
Selfish play (Moses Simon)
Inability to stay onside (Osimehn)
Poor player selection and tactics (Eguavoen)
Suspended player (Iwobi)
Injured players (Ndidi)
Failure to solidify midfield (Eguavoen)

There's plenty of blame to go around, it isn't one thing in particular

These all contributed. And the things we can blame Egu directly for Rohr was doing very similar things.

Thanks for the holistic approach.
The fatal assumption was Eguavoen, as the technical director, was supposedly privy to the good, bad and ugly facets of the team composed under Rohr.

Eguavoen's nonchalance, coupled with lack of real knowledge of the players despite being the technical director over 4-5 matches with Rohr betrays his lack of seriousness, and understanding of his role.

Misplaced hope as Eguavoen was given that interim coaching position under the impression he was going to have less of a learning curve than a completely brand new coach under those circumstances.

Rohr gone. Pinnick gone. Eguavoen still there.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

visieC wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:07 am I am not too sure Agali is correct because Cameroon also sacked their coach and brought in Song and they qualifies.

My humble opinion.

Visie
Kpom!
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"