Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

User avatar
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 44619
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Contact:
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 am
Gotti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:18 am
txj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:17 pmIts very clear its about the PK and his petulance on insisting on taking it, for which he's being scapegoated. There are players like Ndidi whose performance was far, far worse...
LMAO… :rotf:

I would no longer bother to point out the irony, but obviously your real grouse is that others are criticizing the performance of INDIVIDUAL players different from the INDIVIDUAL player you elected to visit your angst upon. SMDH

Meanwhile, given your well-established record of JUVENILE drivel in plain lingo, no one expects any “grandiloquence” (yet again the IRONY is stark) in speech or substance from you. :lol:

No Sir, and I use that word very loosely.

My main issue is about the team. About performance on measurable team metrics, not about individuals.

And that includes Ndidi whom I cited specifically to illustrate our failures on the team metrics...
This Ndidi una keep yarning about only played one half o, result was the same with and without him…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6989
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:57 am
txj wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 am
Gotti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:18 am
txj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:17 pmIts very clear its about the PK and his petulance on insisting on taking it, for which he's being scapegoated. There are players like Ndidi whose performance was far, far worse...
LMAO… :rotf:

I would no longer bother to point out the irony, but obviously your real grouse is that others are criticizing the performance of INDIVIDUAL players different from the INDIVIDUAL player you elected to visit your angst upon. SMDH

Meanwhile, given your well-established record of JUVENILE drivel in plain lingo, no one expects any “grandiloquence” (yet again the IRONY is stark) in speech or substance from you. :lol:

No Sir, and I use that word very loosely.

My main issue is about the team. About performance on measurable team metrics, not about individuals.

And that includes Ndidi whom I cited specifically to illustrate our failures on the team metrics...
This Ndidi una keep yarning about only played one half o, result was the same with and without him…
The same Ndidi you think is still good enough to still make the team...let's keep deceiving ourselves.
User avatar
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 44619
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Contact:
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:12 am
maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:57 am
txj wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 am
Gotti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:18 am
txj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:17 pmIts very clear its about the PK and his petulance on insisting on taking it, for which he's being scapegoated. There are players like Ndidi whose performance was far, far worse...
LMAO… :rotf:

I would no longer bother to point out the irony, but obviously your real grouse is that others are criticizing the performance of INDIVIDUAL players different from the INDIVIDUAL player you elected to visit your angst upon. SMDH

Meanwhile, given your well-established record of JUVENILE drivel in plain lingo, no one expects any “grandiloquence” (yet again the IRONY is stark) in speech or substance from you. :lol:

No Sir, and I use that word very loosely.

My main issue is about the team. About performance on measurable team metrics, not about individuals.

And that includes Ndidi whom I cited specifically to illustrate our failures on the team metrics...
This Ndidi una keep yarning about only played one half o, result was the same with and without him…
The same Ndidi you think is still good enough to still make the team...let's keep deceiving ourselves.
I remember your favored CM couldn’t beat common Algerian CHAN team and you didn’t use it to judge their viability to the team…but yea continue
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6989
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:16 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:12 am
maceo4 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:57 am
txj wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 am
Gotti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:18 am
txj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:17 pmIts very clear its about the PK and his petulance on insisting on taking it, for which he's being scapegoated. There are players like Ndidi whose performance was far, far worse...
LMAO… :rotf:

I would no longer bother to point out the irony, but obviously your real grouse is that others are criticizing the performance of INDIVIDUAL players different from the INDIVIDUAL player you elected to visit your angst upon. SMDH

Meanwhile, given your well-established record of JUVENILE drivel in plain lingo, no one expects any “grandiloquence” (yet again the IRONY is stark) in speech or substance from you. :lol:

No Sir, and I use that word very loosely.

My main issue is about the team. About performance on measurable team metrics, not about individuals.

And that includes Ndidi whom I cited specifically to illustrate our failures on the team metrics...
This Ndidi una keep yarning about only played one half o, result was the same with and without him…
The same Ndidi you think is still good enough to still make the team...let's keep deceiving ourselves.
I remember your favored CM couldn’t beat common Algerian CHAN team and you didn’t use it to judge their viability to the team…but yea continue
Yeah, easy to expect a world class performance from a player after just one game, did we even watch the full match to analyze how he played?
User avatar
pindal123
Egg
Egg
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:45 pm
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by pindal123 »

What i liked:

- The Kit: this 2nd kit is awsome.
- Osayi Samuel: he was pretty good for being his first cap.


What i didn' t like:

- The defence: Ekong and Akpoguma were both awful, they should never be called again.
- Peseiro: His system is a disaster, he sohuld change system or he should be sacked.
- The midfield: this depends from the previous point. The midfield can't handle with only one defensive midfielder. Only Ndidi can't do the whole job.
- Denis: his PK was awful.
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6989
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Tobi17 »

pindal123 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:25 am What i liked:

- The Kit: this 2nd kit is awsome.
- Osayi Samuel: he was pretty good for being his first cap.


What i didn' t like:

- The defence: Ekong and Akpoguma were both awful, they should never be called again.
- Peseiro: His system is a disaster, he sohuld change system or he should be sacked.
- The midfield: this depends from the previous point. The midfield can't handle with only one defensive midfielder. Only Ndidi can't do the whole job.
- Denis: his PK was awful.
Ekong, Akpoguma, and Etebo shouldn't be called up again...Aribo and Ndidi should be benched ...and it's time to try out Alhassan Yusuf, Nwakali,Iwobi and give Onyedika more playing time to gel with this midfield core...for the defence the right back situations seem to be sorted out with Osayi, Aina, Ebuehi and Zaidu.
The central defensive pair remains a conundrum, Bassey will grow into the role as he's still young and promising, so maybe we should try Olisa Ndah with him and see what they can do.
User avatar
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 32888
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:07 pm
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Coach »

@Tx, beyond the blinkering view of patriotism that tints the lens with all the shades of the rose bush, did anyone truly expect Nigeria to compete?

Was this not a test of brains going into mid-season sleep mode coordinating legs tired by fixture congestion vs an infantry fine tuning itself for battle for the greatest of sporting prizes? Add to that the gargantuan disparity in terms of quality and the conclusion was absolutely foregone.

Portugal were always going to win, the question was by how many. The cane was already in hand, twas merely a matter of counting the number of strokes. 4 was fair and just.

Football has moved on at a phenomenal pace from Africa’s current ceiling, talk less of Nigeria. The infrastructural advancements in England for example, in the last 4 years alone has seen runs deep into the World Cup in 2018 and a runners-up medal at the Euros. Despite that, England too is falling behind, on the European continent, academies are churning out managers and coaching staff with acumen in dominant ideologies and revolutionary ideas. Then there’s the advent of data and sports science, how heavily invested is any African nation in its processes?

To consider football today a game played on the pitch alone is the epitome of ignorance. It’s more a game of probability and statistics than chance and Cruyff turns.

Africa cannot compete with the upper echelons. Portugal rightly showed the gulf in everything and the World Cup will do the same. When the rounds that matter come around, Africa will be reminded “small investments, small returns”.

Wishing the Super Eagles a well earned break from the rigours of their domestic seasons thus far. Rest, recuperation and enjoyable viewing of the Mundial. To Africa’s representatives in Qatar, Godspeed. One would imagine Australia will be the first continent to have all its combatants eliminated, will Africa trump Asia or North America?
User avatar
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 35436
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:35 pm
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by txj »

Coach wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:01 pm @Tx, beyond the blinkering view of patriotism that tints the lens with all the shades of the rose bush, did anyone truly expect Nigeria to compete?

Was this not a test of brains going into mid-season sleep mode coordinating legs tired by fixture congestion vs an infantry fine tuning itself for battle for the greatest of sporting prizes? Add to that the gargantuan disparity in terms of quality and the conclusion was absolutely foregone.

Portugal were always going to win, the question was by how many. The cane was already in hand, twas merely a matter of counting the number of strokes. 4 was fair and just.

Football has moved on at a phenomenal pace from Africa’s current ceiling, talk less of Nigeria. The infrastructural advancements in England for example, in the last 4 years alone has seen runs deep into the World Cup in 2018 and a runners-up medal at the Euros. Despite that, England too is falling behind, on the European continent, academies are churning out managers and coaching staff with acumen in dominant ideologies and revolutionary ideas. Then there’s the advent of data and sports science, how heavily invested is any African nation in its processes?

To consider football today a game played on the pitch alone is the epitome of ignorance. It’s more a game of probability and statistics than chance and Cruyff turns.

Africa cannot compete with the upper echelons. Portugal rightly showed the gulf in everything and the World Cup will do the same. When the rounds that matter come around, Africa will be reminded “small investments, small returns”.

Wishing the Super Eagles a well earned break from the rigours of their domestic seasons thus far. Rest, recuperation and enjoyable viewing of the Mundial. To Africa’s representatives in Qatar, Godspeed. One would imagine Australia will be the first continent to have all its combatants eliminated, will Africa trump Asia or North America?


The score and the result was forgone for me. We are not in their league.

The least you can expect is for the fundamentals of the team game to be in place. Like being compact- spacing and running/coverage; defensive rotations as ball moves from zone to zone...

And then to come here and see the bleating about PK miss and petulance...

I mean the sheer ignorance is just befuddling...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
User avatar
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 32888
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:07 pm
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Coach »

The “fundamentals of the team game” equally have their contexts. The prerequisite for one are inadequate for another. Had Nigeria played the same game vs continental opposition, would they have been so comprehensively beaten? Perhaps the “nothing to play for” notion would’ve forfeit its ensuing lethargy for national pride and demanded the optimum output.

Returning to Portugal, who themselves were not firing on all cylinders, what constitutes the fundamentals by their standard, is way up in the nosebleeds by comparison. African football is not just far behind, it’s been lapped. Sometimes the quality in opposition can exaggerate one’s incompetence.

Nigeria are not at that level.
User avatar
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 31378
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!

Post by Gotti »

txj wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 amNo Sir, and I use that word very loosely.

My main issue is about the team. About performance on measurable team metrics, not about individuals.

And that includes Ndidi whom I cited specifically to illustrate our failures on the team metrics..
While some others have elected to specifically cite Dennis “to illustrate our failures on the team metrics”! :sneaky:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


#FREESENEGAL
User avatar
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 31378
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Gotti »

Coach wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:05 pm The “fundamentals of the team game” equally have their contexts. The prerequisite for one are inadequate for another. Had Nigeria played the same game vs continental opposition, would they have been so comprehensively beaten? Perhaps the “nothing to play for” notion would’ve forfeit its ensuing lethargy for national pride and demanded the optimum output.

Returning to Portugal, who themselves were not firing on all cylinders, what constitutes the fundamentals by their standard, is way up in the nosebleeds by comparison. African football is not just far behind, it’s been lapped. Sometimes the quality in opposition can exaggerate one’s incompetence.

Nigeria are not at that level.
Which is NOT necessarily mutually-exclusive simultaneously with underperformance on Nigeria’s part…
After all, we have seen our team recently underperform even against African opposition (as frankly we also did on Thursday).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY


#FREESENEGAL
User avatar
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 21928
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:39 pm
txj wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 amNo Sir, and I use that word very loosely.

My main issue is about the team. About performance on measurable team metrics, not about individuals.

And that includes Ndidi whom I cited specifically to illustrate our failures on the team metrics..
While some others have elected to specifically cite Dennis “to illustrate our failures on the team metrics”! :sneaky:
Gotti

How can they? Only Txj, the guru, has the liberty to specifically cite a player. That much should be clear already. Not so? :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
User avatar
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 35436
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:35 pm
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!

Post by txj »

Gotti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:39 pm
txj wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:20 amNo Sir, and I use that word very loosely.

My main issue is about the team. About performance on measurable team metrics, not about individuals.

And that includes Ndidi whom I cited specifically to illustrate our failures on the team metrics..
While some others have elected to specifically cite Dennis “to illustrate our failures on the team metrics”! :sneaky:


Not really. They've cited Dennis to specifically illustrate his petulance, his PK miss and his playing for himself.

Here is EnuguII
Enugu II wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:15 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:34 pm The boy is not a team player. :boo:
Bros, it is beyond the pk miss. Anyone can miss a pk. It is about his insistence that he takes it and most IMPORTANTLY his insistence on playing for himself. Just ridiculous!
Last edited by txj on Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
User avatar
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 35436
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:35 pm
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by txj »

Gotti wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:47 pm
Coach wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:05 pm The “fundamentals of the team game” equally have their contexts. The prerequisite for one are inadequate for another. Had Nigeria played the same game vs continental opposition, would they have been so comprehensively beaten? Perhaps the “nothing to play for” notion would’ve forfeit its ensuing lethargy for national pride and demanded the optimum output.

Returning to Portugal, who themselves were not firing on all cylinders, what constitutes the fundamentals by their standard, is way up in the nosebleeds by comparison. African football is not just far behind, it’s been lapped. Sometimes the quality in opposition can exaggerate one’s incompetence.

Nigeria are not at that level.
Which is NOT necessarily mutually-exclusive simultaneously with underperformance on Nigeria’s part…
After all, we have seen our team recently underperform even against African opposition (as frankly we also did on Thursday).


His empty grandiloquence at his best.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
User avatar
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 10076
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:29 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by amafolas »

this Passeiro is useless. That was one of the worst structured Naija teams I have watched in recent years. It's like the coach has no idea the strengths of his players, and how he wants to play.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6989
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Tobi17 »

amafolas wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 am this Passeiro is useless. That was one of the worst structured Naija teams I have watched in recent years. It's like the coach has no idea the strengths of his players, and how he wants to play.
We employed probably one of the worst journeymen coaches in our history, check the man's coaching records...very mediocre. Pinnick must answer for the serious damage he has done to Nigerian football, we shouldn't let this slide.
User avatar
Damunk
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 49038
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:28 am
amafolas wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 am this Passeiro is useless. That was one of the worst structured Naija teams I have watched in recent years. It's like the coach has no idea the strengths of his players, and how he wants to play.

We employed probably one of the worst journeymen coaches in our history, check the man's coaching records...very mediocre. Pinnick must answer for the serious damage he has done to Nigerian football, we shouldn't let this slide.
There really hasn’t ever been a foreign coach employed by Nigeria that has been more than just a journeyman. Ever.
But sadly, that’s all we can afford and the two that maybe were above that level (Hoddle and Sven Ericsson), we drove away with our special brand of corruption before they even started.
Meanwhile, our own Nigerian coaches are waiting for Pinnick and the NFF to ‘develop’ them. Like we were all waiting around for the Nigerian government to ‘develop ‘ us further after graduation.

So that leaves us with Eguavon, Amuneke, Finidi dem.
Looking at their CVs, if they were not Nigerian, would they even make a shortlist of 20 ‘journeymen’ coaches self?
Not likely.

I agree with myself. :agree: :agree: :agree:
:D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6989
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:38 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:28 am
amafolas wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 am this Passeiro is useless. That was one of the worst structured Naija teams I have watched in recent years. It's like the coach has no idea the strengths of his players, and how he wants to play.

We employed probably one of the worst journeymen coaches in our history, check the man's coaching records...very mediocre. Pinnick must answer for the serious damage he has done to Nigerian football, we shouldn't let this slide.
There really hasn’t ever been a foreign coach employed by Nigeria that has been more than just a journeyman. Ever.
But sadly, that’s all we can afford and our own coaches are waiting for Pinnick to ‘develop’ them.
That leaves us with Eguavon, Amuneke, Finidi dem.
Looking at their CVs, if they were not Nigerian, would they even make a shortlist of 20 ‘journeymen’ coaches self?
Not likely.

I agree with myself. :agree: :agree: :agree:
:D
Damonkey,

At this point I don't care anymore, I'll take any of our current local coaches (except Eguavoen) and just be patient with them as they start the rebuilding process all over again, there are several promising players from our youth teams (especially the U17 and U20) that we can slowly integrate into the senior NT, hopefully the U23 Olympic team will give us few talented players as well that can make it. These present generation of players (the Ekong/Ndidi/Moses Simon) set have woefully failed us, time to move on to a new phase next year.
User avatar
Damunk
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 49038
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:46 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:38 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:28 am
amafolas wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 am this Passeiro is useless. That was one of the worst structured Naija teams I have watched in recent years. It's like the coach has no idea the strengths of his players, and how he wants to play.

We employed probably one of the worst journeymen coaches in our history, check the man's coaching records...very mediocre. Pinnick must answer for the serious damage he has done to Nigerian football, we shouldn't let this slide.
There really hasn’t ever been a foreign coach employed by Nigeria that has been more than just a journeyman. Ever.
But sadly, that’s all we can afford and our own coaches are waiting for Pinnick to ‘develop’ them.
That leaves us with Eguavon, Amuneke, Finidi dem.
Looking at their CVs, if they were not Nigerian, would they even make a shortlist of 20 ‘journeymen’ coaches self?
Not likely.

I agree with myself. :agree: :agree: :agree:
:D
Damonkey,

At this point I don't care anymore, I'll take any of our current local coaches (except Eguavoen) and just be patient with them as they start the rebuilding process all over again, there are several promising players from our youth teams (especially the U17 and U20) that we can slowly integrate into the senior NT, hopefully the U23 Olympic team will give us few talented players as well that can make it. These present generation of players (the Ekong/Ndidi/Moses Simon) set have woefully failed us, time to move on to a new phase next year.
Famous last words my friend.
If you’ve been around long enough, you’ll know that it’s a never-ending circle of Nigerian football life.
From foreign coach to local. Disaster.
Then from local to journeyman foreign again. Disaster.
Back to local. More disaster.
Okay, let’s try journeyman foreign again. Catastrophe.
Fela called it ‘Perambulator’, but he wasn’t referring to our football. He was referring to our government. Same difference.

You say any local coach ‘except Eguavon’. Why? Because he was brave enough to step forward? But he was an probably still is about the best we had to offer. Like many ‘patriots’, you seem to be in complete denial of the fact that at this level our coaching cupboard is bare. Nuttin dey inside.

You say you are ready to be patient.
You are a very unique Nigerian if so. But I’m not convinced, no offense.
You are already calling for Peseiro’s removal triggered by a disastrous outing in a meaningless friendly against one of the world’s top teams.

So you can imagine what chances ANY coach - local or foreign - will have in Nigeria once this hazardous building process throws up results like this as they surely, surely will.
I can tell you for free right now: he will be sacked and the Nigerian cycle will continue. What we did to Amodu we did to Rohr, so it’s regardless of which passport you carry. And no, it’s not just the NFF. Fans wield ‘soft’ but extremely potent power.

We’ve been here SEVERAL times before. It’s the Naija way.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
User avatar
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Posts: 6989
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:59 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:46 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:38 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:28 am
amafolas wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 am this Passeiro is useless. That was one of the worst structured Naija teams I have watched in recent years. It's like the coach has no idea the strengths of his players, and how he wants to play.

We employed probably one of the worst journeymen coaches in our history, check the man's coaching records...very mediocre. Pinnick must answer for the serious damage he has done to Nigerian football, we shouldn't let this slide.
There really hasn’t ever been a foreign coach employed by Nigeria that has been more than just a journeyman. Ever.
But sadly, that’s all we can afford and our own coaches are waiting for Pinnick to ‘develop’ them.
That leaves us with Eguavon, Amuneke, Finidi dem.
Looking at their CVs, if they were not Nigerian, would they even make a shortlist of 20 ‘journeymen’ coaches self?
Not likely.

I agree with myself. :agree: :agree: :agree:
:D
Damonkey,

At this point I don't care anymore, I'll take any of our current local coaches (except Eguavoen) and just be patient with them as they start the rebuilding process all over again, there are several promising players from our youth teams (especially the U17 and U20) that we can slowly integrate into the senior NT, hopefully the U23 Olympic team will give us few talented players as well that can make it. These present generation of players (the Ekong/Ndidi/Moses Simon) set have woefully failed us, time to move on to a new phase next year.
Famous last words my friend.
If you’ve been around long enough, you’ll know that it’s a never-ending circle of Nigerian football life.
From foreign coach to local. Disaster.
Then from local to journeyman foreign again. Disaster.
Back to local. More disaster.
Okay, let’s try journeyman foreign again. Catastrophe.
Fela called it ‘Perambulator’, but he wasn’t referring to our football. He was referring to our government. Same difference.

You say any local coach ‘except Eguavon’. Why? Because he was brave enough to step forward? But he was an probably still is about the best we had to offer. Like many ‘patriots’, you seem to be in complete denial of the fact that at this level our coaching cupboard is bare. Nuttin dey inside.

You say you are ready to be patient.
You are a very unique Nigerian if so. But I’m not convinced, no offense.
You are already calling for Peseiro’s removal triggered by a disastrous outing in a meaningless friendly against one of the world’s top teams.

So you can imagine what chances ANY coach - local or foreign - will have in Nigeria once this hazardous building process throws up results like this as they surely, surely will.
I can tell you for free right now: he will be sacked and the Nigerian cycle will continue. What we did to Amodu we did to Rohr, so it’s regardless of which passport you carry. And no, it’s not just the NFF. Fans wield ‘soft’ but extremely potent power.

We’ve been here SEVERAL times before. It’s the Naija way.
Damunk,

I'm tired man, can you blame me? time and time again over the span of a decade I've had high hopes for the Nigerian super eagles team, but I've always being let down again and again, mental fatigue has pretty much set in at this time and I'm just deflated. The only two things that connect me to Nigeria right now are football and our booming music industry, I grew up pretty much tip-toeing every night to switch on the TV while my parents slept to catch highlights of France '98 games of Nigeria that I missed, I grew up almost fetisizing our golden generation of players and thought of them as perfect...I could almost remember myself always arguing with my mates in school that we had the best players in the world. I grew up perhaps with an ove-rexaggerated and over-pampared perception of our invincibility in football, a stubborn notion that not even our disastrous France '98 world cup outing could change!

I'm not used to seeing my NT this crap, boring and plainly drab, even in the Amodu era (May his gentle soul RIP) when the team was always belabored for its "boring" style of footie, we still maximally got results and qualified for major tournaments...now we're getting used to situations where we don't even qualify for ordinary AFCON! worst part is we don't even have an identity of football, we were always known to play the robust, adventurous and physical attacking style of football interspersed with flair and speed...now we look so out of sorts and colorless...even the so called minnow teams in Africa have a style of football these days.

I'm tired man...football from a Nigerian perspective is the one thing that keeps my hopes up for that country, I grew up literally on Nigerian football in its glory days, now what I feel is just hopelessness and emptiness towards the sport. Maybe I'm just being unduly hard on myself, I have to stop caring about Nigerian football all together till we finally get it right (perhaps that will be when I'm in my 50s or something).
User avatar
Damunk
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 49038
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Re: Nigeria vs Portugal(0-4) 2 wins in 10, chei !!!!

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:06 am Damunk,

I'm tired man, can you blame me? time and time again over the span of a decade I've had high hopes for the Nigerian super eagles team, but I've always being let down again and again, mental fatigue has pretty much set in at this time and I'm just deflated. The only two things that connect me to Nigeria right now are football and our booming music industry, I grew up pretty much tip-toeing every night to switch on the TV while my parents slept to catch highlights of France '98 games of Nigeria that I missed, I grew up almost fetisizing our golden generation of players and thought of them as perfect...I could almost remember myself always arguing with my mates in school that we had the best players in the world. I grew up perhaps with an ove-rexaggerated and over-pampared perception of our invincibility in football, a stubborn notion that not even our disastrous France '98 world cup outing could change!

I'm not used to seeing my NT this crap, boring and plainly drab, even in the Amodu era (May his gentle soul RIP) when the team was always belabored for its "boring" style of footie, we still maximally got results and qualified for major tournaments...now we're getting used to situations where we don't even qualify for ordinary AFCON! worst part is we don't even have an identity of football, we were always known to play the robust, adventurous and physical attacking style of football interspersed with flair and speed...now we look so out of sorts and colorless...even the so called minnow teams in Africa have a style of football these days.

I'm tired man...football from a Nigerian perspective is the one thing that keeps my hopes up for that country, I grew up literally on Nigerian football in its glory days, now what I feel is just hopelessness and emptiness towards the sport. Maybe I'm just being unduly hard on myself, I have to stop caring about Nigerian football all together till we finally get it right (perhaps that will be when I'm in my 50s or something).
Tobi, I feel you 100%.
But don’t be tired. Our football will rise again and it will be when you least expect it.
That’s what life does. It comes at you in cycles.

Funny, I felt the same deflation back in the 80s after our AFCON win right up to ‘94 when in my mind, it all changed again.
“Deflated”. “Let down”. “Tired”. Everything you describe.
But guess what?
I have no choice. Someone back in mu university days told me that the Super Eagles are like an unfaithful wife you are madly in love with.
You get hurt on a daily but can’t leave her. The more your love, the greater the pain.

That’s how it has always been. Nor be today, despite what we might think.
In fact, for me, that is Nigeria.
But shoot me the day you find me supporting England or France or Brazil over Nigeria.
That ain’t gonna happen no matter what.
Take heart.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "

Post Reply