Now the SE storm is over....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Now the SE storm is over....

Post by Damunk »

Flex Swift wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:13 pm
Enyi wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:36 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:32 pm The issue with the national team is tactics and not playing to yours strengths. Firstly what is the point having two wingers that don’t cross? Not only that you play a right footed winger on the left so he always comes in side.

Nigeria has the biggest striker in Africa who scores consistently for club. But when he plays for Nigeria our wingers refuse to cross the ball on his head or even pass to him preferring to dribble. Even free kicks they don’t cross to him, not to talk about all the wasted corner kicks taken by Moses Simon.

Nigeria needs to look for a better goalkeeper and wingers that can cross the ball and provide an assist. Moses, Ejuke, Lookman and Chukweze all have one thing in common they can’t cross and are selfish with the ball always dribbling taking on the whole back line in a team sport.

Granted we don’t have the creative midfield therefore the wingers must be able to deliver the ball to the striker as clearly demonstrated by England and Holland today.

Nigeria will not make any meaningful impact fielding non- crossing/passing midfielders.
what if the wingers ain't good at crossing the ball? we struggle with set pieces let alone doing it in full match flow
The primary function of a winger is to deliver the ball to the Striker. Any player that plays as a winger and cannot cross the ball should not be on the pitch and should not be in the squad period.

France beat Australia 4-1 yesterday all the goals came from crosses. So tell me what football is it that Nigeria plays that they don’t want to put the ball in the danger zone for the striker to score.

If Victor is unavailable Nigeria can utilise the height advantage presented by Onauchu. Who can mark him in the box in the air? I can’t understand my people….. … . Crude oil is produced in Nigerian then exported then petrol, diesel , kerosene is imported which bafoon came with this idea? How is it difficult to understand that we could get more out of our attack if the wingers supplied the strikers and overlapping midfielders with crosses. How difficult is it to deliver dangerous corner kicks for our big men. All our wingers need to be dropped from the team as they are not good enough.
Not difficult at all.
So maybe there's a deeper issue, but its really baffling.
Someone needs to compile the Opta evidence, take it to each player and ask what the hell they are doing.
Abi dem swear for dem? :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:55 pm
The primary function of a winger is to deliver the ball to the Striker. Any player that plays as a winger and cannot cross the ball should not be on the pitch and should not be in the squad period.

France beat Australia 4-1 yesterday all the goals came from crosses. So tell me what football is it that Nigeria plays that they don’t want to put the ball in the danger zone for the striker to score.

If Victor is unavailable Nigeria can utilise the height advantage presented by Onauchu. Who can mark him in the box in the air? I can’t understand my people….. … . Crude oil is produced in Nigerian then exported then petrol, diesel , kerosene is imported which bafoon came with this idea? How is it difficult to understand that we could get more out of our attack if the wingers supplied the strikers and overlapping midfielders with crosses. How difficult is it to deliver dangerous corner kicks for our big men. All our wingers need to be dropped from the team as they are not good enough.
Not difficult at all.
Someone needs to compile the Opta evidence, take it to each player and ask what the hell they are doing.
Oga Damunk, no be swear, na personnel issue.

Not sure if SE has had wingers who can deliver the ball like you described since Finidi and Amunike (I could be wrong). In my opinion, players have been asked or forced to play those positions. If has a player, you are not used to crossing the ball from that position or angle, it can be difficult.

On the issues of crosses. Crosses that are weight height to knee level are much more difficult to defend, and also to score from.

Crosses that are neck high and above are the easier to deal (defending) with and easier to score (attacking). High crosses ideally should swing away from the GK, taking the GK out of the equation and leaving the attacker and defender alone.

If you have not being playing has a winger, especially in matches situation and built up these skill, it's going to be difficult to execute.

You can even cross high ball or corners kick, or throw-ins to your particular opponents (especially defenders), knowing where they normally head (defend) the ball too and have a player where the ball would land like Sunday Oliseh goal against Spain. Theory and Practice and real match situation are very different :D
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

fabio wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:19 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:55 pm

Not difficult at all.
Oga Damunk, no be swear, na personnel issue.

Not sure if SE has had wingers who can deliver the ball like you described since Finidi and Amunike (I could be wrong). In my opinion, players have been asked or forced to play those positions. If has a player, you are not used to crossing the ball from that position or angle, it can be difficult.

On the issues of crosses. Crosses that are weight height to knee level are much more difficult to defend, and also to score from.

Crosses that are neck high and above are the easier to deal (defending) with and easier to score (attacking). High crosses ideally should swing away from the GK, taking the GK out of the equation and leaving the attacker and defender alone.

If you have not being playing has a winger, especially in matches situation and built up these skill, it's going to be difficult to execute.

You can even cross high ball or corners kick, or throw-ins to your particular opponents (especially defenders), knowing where they normally head (defend) the ball too and have a player where the ball would land like Sunday Oliseh goal against Spain. Theory and Practice and real match situation are very different :D
The football the Nigerian team has been playing has been largely dependent on individual brilliance rather than a team philosophy. Nigeria is dependent on Victor and if he is injured the team struggles. This has been the case even when Rohr was in charged. During the group phase at the cup of nations the team depended on Moses Simon once his form dipped they were knocked out. Against Ghana the team was dependent on Victor and Ghana put two players on him at all times.

Football has evolved past playing street ball which is effectively what we play. The coach needs to select players based on their ability to carry out the function of that position. Calvin Bassey cannot play left back. Simon Moses cannot play left wing, Lookman and Chukweze cannot play right wing. Nigeria going away from home should not be fielding two wingers. We should have two holding midfielders with one winger that can cross the ball (Finidi should be coaching the wingers ) as I write the Switzerland have just scored against Cameroon from what? A cross!!!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:32 pm The issue with the national team is tactics and not playing to yours strengths. Firstly what is the point having two wingers that don’t cross? Not only that you play a right footed winger on the left so he always comes in side.

Nigeria has the biggest striker in Africa who scores consistently for club. But when he plays for Nigeria our wingers refuse to cross the ball on his head or even pass to him preferring to dribble. Even free kicks they don’t cross to him, not to talk about all the wasted corner kicks taken by Moses Simon.

Nigeria needs to look for a better goalkeeper and wingers that can cross the ball and provide an assist. Moses, Ejuke, Lookman and Chukweze all have one thing in common they can’t cross and are selfish with the ball always dribbling taking on the whole back line in a team sport.

Granted we don’t have the creative midfield therefore the wingers must be able to deliver the ball to the striker as clearly demonstrated by England and Holland today.

Nigeria will not make any meaningful impact fielding non- crossing/passing midfielders.
what if the wingers ain't good at crossing the ball? we struggle with set pieces let alone doing it in full match flow

Flex, not all wingers "cross" the ball...That does not mean that they cannot cross the ball....it simply means that its not their best asset.

Most modern wingers or wing forwards, are they to come inside and create or score goals....

all those guys that you consider "not good enough" play in better teams and leagues than Onuachu...so they must be useful for something..

The coach should now learn that his method will not work and he needs to adopt a system that will accommdate the players in his disposal....

take for example: Conte season at Chelsea...He came from Juve and tried to play the expressive way that Chelsea fans and Owner wanted...it worked to a certain extent but after the hammering at Arsenal, He switched and played a system that fits the players he had and the rest was history...

Peseiro should do the same...
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Enyi wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:48 pm

Flex, not all wingers "cross" the ball...That does not mean that they cannot cross the ball....it simply means that its not their best asset.

Most modern wingers or wing forwards, are they to come inside and create or score goals....

all those guys that you consider "not good enough" play in better teams and leagues than Onuachu...so they must be useful for something..

The coach should now learn that his method will not work and he needs to adopt a system that will accommdate the players in his disposal....

take for example: Conte season at Chelsea...He came from Juve and tried to play the expressive way that Chelsea fans and Owner wanted...it worked to a certain extent but after the hammering at Arsenal, He switched and played a system that fits the players he had and the rest was history...

Peseiro should do the same...

As far as I am concerned wingers that cannot cross the ball have no busy being in the team.

Look at Ghana today scoring two goals from crosses and they are little pygmies. South Korea pulled a goal back scoring from a cross. Guess they just equalized from a cross.

Nigeria has a bigger advantage then most African countries because our strikers are tall and one of them is a Giant standing at 6.7.