Now the SE storm is over....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Now the SE storm is over....

Post by Enugu II »

Enyi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:29 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:16 am
Enyi wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:24 am I wanted to wait a few days after the games to say that I think we all are missing the main issue here....

The problem was not Ndidi or the midfield or even Dennis (he needs to be disciplined for that rubbish)..

The issue is that we forgot that this game meant more to Portugal than to us...

Think before the game, they was only one thread for the line up, players in camp and the game...

We here in CE, didnt really care that much...to be honest, and the players didnt either. We are not going to the WC, SO WHATS REALLY THE POINT? Why should any player stress themselves out or get injured for what?

With these friendlies b4 a big tournament, Portugal would have told us not to be forceful with tackles...they dont want injuries b4 a major tournament.

Whats more surprising is that most of them turned up and didnt pull out..

BTW....Portugal aint that good, i expect Ghana to beat them.

All the furore about Ndidi....he is making his way back from injury. I remember someone telling me that Iwobi is done a month before the season...we need to calm down, enjoy this WC in Qatar (I am here if anyone is around) and we restart once the serious games come back and we go again.
Enyi,

Emmmmmm can you explain Egypt beating Belgium in a friendly based on your hypothesis? Have Egyptian players been invited to the World Cup? Or did Egypt qualify?
Everyone's mentality is different....we played a friendly with Algeria and they players were diving and rolling around on the floor as if it was the WC final....

This game it is clear that the players didn't turn up...I have watched same team lose to lesser teams but at least they turned up...this game, the SE went there to chill and not being part of the WC is not a motivation.
Enyi

So we agree that it is not as simple as not going to the World Cup. It is important to realize that. First, Nigeria was never expected to beat this Portuguese team regardless of going or not going to the World Cup. The expectation was simply to present creditably. Nigeria did that for a large swath of the game. Thus it had little to fo with the fact that it was a friendly. The team collapsed late because of dispirited circumstances that followed the pk incidence. Take a look at the two goals that were conceded late. On the third, the defense completely quit and 3 to 4 Portuguese players could have scored that goal. It was a walk in with Uzoho left helpless.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:58 am
Enyi

So we agree that it is not as simple as not going to the World Cup. It is important to realize that. First, Nigeria was never expected to beat this Portuguese team regardless of going or not going to the World Cup. The expectation was simply to present creditably. Nigeria did that for a large swath of the game. Thus it had little to fo with the fact that it was a friendly. The team collapsed late because of dispirited circumstances that followed the pk incidence. Take a look at the two goals that were conceded late. On the third, the defense completely quit and 3 to 4 Portuguese players could have scored that goal. It was a walk in with Uzoho left helpless.
Oga I disagree. That second half was better attacking wise, and point blank terrible in terms of structure. We should have conceded even more. That they added 2 late goals was a way to make the score reflect our uselessness. Honestly the worst match I have watched in a while. Same with Mexico, I am still unsure how Nigeria is trying to play. Looked out there like somoene just grabbed a bunch of hey-yous, who first met each other 5 minutes ago, and told them to play together.

Maybe I am too used to watching club soccer that is more coherent. Actually no. Rohr's teams were not this disjoint.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

amafolas wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:43 pm
Enyi

Oga I disagree. That second half was better attacking wise, and point blank terrible in terms of structure. We should have conceded even more. That they added 2 late goals was a way to make the score reflect our uselessness. Honestly the worst match I have watched in a while. Same with Mexico, I am still unsure how Nigeria is trying to play. Looked out there like somoene just grabbed a bunch of hey-yous, who first met each other 5 minutes ago, and told them to play together.

Maybe I am too used to watching club soccer that is more coherent. Actually no. Rohr's teams were not this disjoint.
I agree with you, all this ‘it wasn’t so bad’ nonsense is slightly worrying esp. after that terribly disjointed display. It’s almost like we watched a different match. I mean you know they are stronger than you going in just like we knew in previous friendlies vs Brazil and Argentina etc, but the coach is supposed to come up with a game plan with this in mind and provide a structure that will prevent the better team from overwhelming you. We did none of that and looked like we didn’t really have a plan and it’s quite worrying. But still early days for Peseiro, we will see sha…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

maceo4 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:53 pm
Enyi

I agree with you, all this ‘it wasn’t so bad’ nonsense is slightly worrying esp. after that terribly disjointed display. It’s almost like we watched a different match. I mean you know they are stronger than you going in just like we knew in previous friendlies vs Brazil and Argentina etc, but the coach is supposed to come up with a game plan with this in mind and provide a structure that will prevent the better team from overwhelming you. We did none of that and looked like we didn’t really have a plan and it’s quite worrying. But still early days for Peseiro, we will see sha…
It’s not “slightly worrying”, it’s downright depressing.
How folks can watch that and say it wasn’t bad either means they’ve lost any sense of ambition for the SE, I’m which case why bother, or they have some other agenda.

It was disorganised and save a few, played with zero pride. Anywhere else there would an investigation and consequences.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

Enyi wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:24 am I wanted to wait a few days after the games to say that I think we all are missing the main issue here....

The problem was not Ndidi or the midfield or even Dennis (he needs to be disciplined for that rubbish)..

Think before the game, they was only one thread for the line up, players in camp and the game...

We here in CE, didnt really care that much...to be honest, and the players didnt either. We are not going to the WC, SO WHATS REALLY THE POINT? Why should any player stress themselves out or get injured for what?

With these friendlies b4 a big tournament, Portugal would have told us not to be forceful with tackles...they dont want injuries b4 a major tournament.

All the furore about Ndidi....he is making his way back from injury. I remember someone telling me that Iwobi is done a month before the season...we need to calm down, enjoy this WC in Qatar (I am here if anyone is around) and we restart once the serious games come back and we go again.
wow
u're giving the SE too much pass for woeful performance after performance, this is not the first time they have played so disjointed with the Portuguese in charge. Is SE the only team playing a wc bound team and displaying such nonsense, are they not professionals and yet they fail to turn up everytime. We always give excuses for the SE whenever they play rubbish, the grass is rubbish, they haven't played with each other before, they were hurriedly assembled when the fact is they are simply not good as a team.

In training, media will tell us how well they are performing but come match day, uselessness. The Portuguese coach needs to figure out his style of play and insist it upon the SE cos l dont know what style they play. If it is kick and follow then do it, if na pass and move, do it actually it is pass and stand, shior. The SE right now is a boring and rubbish team
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

waka-man wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:57 pm
maceo4 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:53 pm
Enyi

It’s not “slightly worrying”, it’s downright depressing.
How folks can watch that and say it wasn’t bad either means they’ve lost any sense of ambition for the SE, I’m which case why bother, or they have some other agenda.

It was disorganised and save a few, played with zero pride. Anywhere else there would an investigation and consequences.
very
if it was another team, l would have switched off but na SE, chai. SE gets worse game after game
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

England have just taken the lead against Iran simple build up cross from the left onto the head of Bellingham. This is something basic that Simon Moses was unable to do against Portugal. Cross the ball onto Onauchu’s head no they want hold onto the ball and score dribbling .

Why does Nigeria bother to line up with two noncrossing wingers? Simon doesn’t pass or cross neither does lookman, Chukweze or Ejuke .
Last edited by Flex Swift on Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

England leading 3-0 against Iran three crosses 3 goals no long thing. Simon, Chukweze Ademola and Ejuke just huff and puff dribbling and dribbling…. Maybe one day they will understand that crossing ball onto the big man’s head can result in easy goals (Quick win)
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:13 pm England leading 3-0 against Iran three crosses 3 goals no long thing. Simon, Chukweze Ademola and Ejuke just huff and puff dribbling and dribbling…. Maybe one day they will understand that crossing ball onto the big man’s head can result in easy goals (Quick win)
But crossing depends on what the manager wants. It appeared that Rohr did not think crossing was an important aspect. We had Onuachu but he specifically told us that his team will not change its style for Onuachu. Was that not the case? The fact is that each Manager has a preferred style for his team. What you saw from Chukwueze and Simon and the others who played out wide under Rohr's management was based on Gernot Rohr's preference. TBH, there is really nothing wrong with that because there are various and disparate means of achieving a win.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

*Removed fake Bruno quotes
Last edited by metalalloy on Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

metalalloy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:24 pm

Sure doesn’t sound like it
Like I said at halftime on the match thread, we were dreadfully embarrassing, and frankly, if I was Portugal, I'll be very upset! Imagine organizing a friendly to prepare you for such an important tournament and being forced to play a team that performed worse than your U17 team! Whats the point?? Portugal would have been better of gathering all the Portuguese players with African descent, who are playing in their league and play a game against them. Trust me, they'd have had better competition.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Look at Senegal, without their best player and they are bossing it against Netherlands. You can see a clear pattern in their game and desire and thirst for victory.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:34 pm
metalalloy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:24 pm

Sure doesn’t sound like it
Like I said at halftime on the match thread, we were dreadfully embarrassing, and frankly, if I was Portugal, I'll be very upset! Imagine organizing a friendly to prepare you for such an important tournament and being forced to play a team that performed worse than your U17 team! Whats the point?? Portugal would have been better of gathering all the Portuguese players with African descent, who are playing in their league and play a game against them. Trust me, they'd have had better competition.
Fake news!!! This what Bruno said
“It was a very complete game,” Fernandes said after helping his side beat Nigeria.

“We were very capable of having possession of the ball, managing the game and taking advantage of our opportunities to score. We also defended very well. We have a capable team, with a lot of quality, and we demonstrated that today, in an important step towards gaining confidence.

“Let’s hope for more than two [goals in the finals],” he continued. “That’s the goal. The most important thing is to help the team and score goals; then I’ll be very happy.”
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:58 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:13 pm England leading 3-0 against Iran three crosses 3 goals no long thing. Simon, Chukweze Ademola and Ejuke just huff and puff dribbling and dribbling…. Maybe one day they will understand that crossing ball onto the big man’s head can result in easy goals (Quick win)
But crossing depends on what the manager wants. It appeared that Rohr did not think crossing was an important aspect. We had Onuachu but he specifically told us that his team will not change its style for Onuachu. Was that not the case? The fact is that each Manager has a preferred style for his team. What you saw from Chukwueze and Simon and the others who played out wide under Rohr's management was based on Gernot Rohr's preference. TBH, there is really nothing wrong with that because there are various and disparate means of achieving a win.
So you agree with the strategy of not crossing the ball to Onauchu??? If that is the case what was the point in bringing him on? May as well bring on Dressers who hasn’t scored in ages. You also seem to think it is okay to play with two non-crossing wingers whose only contribution was dribbling until they lost procession. The team needs better coaching
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:41 pm

Fake news!!! This what Bruno said
“It was a very complete game,” Fernandes said after helping his side beat Nigeria.

“We were very capable of having possession of the ball, managing the game and taking advantage of our opportunities to score. We also defended very well. We have a capable team, with a lot of quality, and we demonstrated that today, in an important step towards gaining confidence.

“Let’s hope for more than two [goals in the finals],” he continued. “That’s the goal. The most important thing is to help the team and score goals; then I’ll be very happy.”

Thanks for the clarification. It seems only Naija outfits are reporting the fake quotes.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Watching Senegal, this is the reason African countries struggle at the world cup. They have the Nigeria-94 problem. A team that dominates opponents, but loses concentration at critical time. smh.

African countries... kai! Why are we so lacking in the mental side of games?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Was Mendy always this bad? :oops:
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Enyi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:35 am
packerland wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:27 am
Enyi wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:32 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:16 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:42 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:52 am What a load of rubbish, everything wrong in that game started from the midfield, the Pisseiro fellow is allow too daft to see that a midfield of recycled deadweights like Ndidi, Etebo and a seemingly disinterested Aribo just doesn't work.. if we were serious, only Iwobi should be left in that midfield while we source around for midfielders with top football IQs
Like who?
Where do you think they are hiding?
Na beans? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have a population of over 200 million football crazy Nigerians, with the right structure in place it shouldn't be hard. Let's stop enabling laziness Damunkey!
You think the right structure will produce the likes of Modric, Bellingham and Kante before the next WC….?

Ok Sir
Why not? Bellingham was playing in the championship not too long ago. Kante played in the French II div, had one year at Leicester before becoming a mega star. We the right structures in place you can churn out 2-4 superstars before the next WC.
from where?

If we invited a Div 2 player to SE...will some ppl here not complain? They will tell you that we do not have players playing for top teams....

We need to decide what exactly we want and stop blowing with the wind...

after 10-0 hammering of sao tome, same guys now criticising the team told us how we have arrived and we are about to conquer the world....Two games later, lets go back to the drawing board and start churning out players from Division 2 :sad: :sad: :sad:
The problem is not inviting a div 2 player. The issue is that we have started this trend were the NT is a revolving door of inviting any player that scores a couple goals in Europe (I partly blame pinnick for this). We don’t have team chemistry or a set team. If our teams is set and 2-4 players are in div 2 or players locally, no one will care.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

The issue with the national team is tactics and not playing to yours strengths. Firstly what is the point having two wingers that don’t cross? Not only that you play a right footed winger on the left so he always comes in side.

Nigeria has the biggest striker in Africa who scores consistently for club. But when he plays for Nigeria our wingers refuse to cross the ball on his head or even pass to him preferring to dribble. Even free kicks they don’t cross to him, not to talk about all the wasted corner kicks taken by Moses Simon.

Nigeria needs to look for a better goalkeeper and wingers that can cross the ball and provide an assist. Moses, Ejuke, Lookman and Chukweze all have one thing in common they can’t cross and are selfish with the ball always dribbling taking on the whole back line in a team sport.

Granted we don’t have the creative midfield therefore the wingers must be able to deliver the ball to the striker as clearly demonstrated by England and Holland today.

Nigeria will not make any meaningful impact fielding non- crossing/passing midfielders.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:32 pm The issue with the national team is tactics and not playing to yours strengths. Firstly what is the point having two wingers that don’t cross? Not only that you play a right footed winger on the left so he always comes in side.

Nigeria has the biggest striker in Africa who scores consistently for club. But when he plays for Nigeria our wingers refuse to cross the ball on his head or even pass to him preferring to dribble. Even free kicks they don’t cross to him, not to talk about all the wasted corner kicks taken by Moses Simon.

Nigeria needs to look for a better goalkeeper and wingers that can cross the ball and provide an assist. Moses, Ejuke, Lookman and Chukweze all have one thing in common they can’t cross and are selfish with the ball always dribbling taking on the whole back line in a team sport.

Granted we don’t have the creative midfield therefore the wingers must be able to deliver the ball to the striker as clearly demonstrated by England and Holland today.

Nigeria will not make any meaningful impact fielding non- crossing/passing midfielders.
what if the wingers ain't good at crossing the ball? we struggle with set pieces let alone doing it in full match flow
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Enyi wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:36 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:32 pm The issue with the national team is tactics and not playing to yours strengths. Firstly what is the point having two wingers that don’t cross? Not only that you play a right footed winger on the left so he always comes in side.

what if the wingers ain't good at crossing the ball? we struggle with set pieces let alone doing it in full match flow
The primary function of a winger is to deliver the ball to the Striker. Any player that plays as a winger and cannot cross the ball should not be on the pitch and should not be in the squad period.

France beat Australia 4-1 yesterday all the goals came from crosses. So tell me what football is it that Nigeria plays that they don’t want to put the ball in the danger zone for the striker to score.

If Victor is unavailable Nigeria can utilise the height advantage presented by Onauchu. Who can mark him in the box in the air? I can’t understand my people….. … . Crude oil is produced in Nigerian then exported then petrol, diesel , kerosene is imported which bafoon came with this idea? How is it difficult to understand that we could get more out of our attack if the wingers supplied the strikers and overlapping midfielders with crosses. How difficult is it to deliver dangerous corner kicks for our big men. All our wingers need to be dropped from the team as they are not good enough.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:49 pm
So you agree with the strategy of not crossing the ball to Onauchu??? If that is the case what was the point in bringing him on? May as well bring on Dressers who hasn’t scored in ages. You also seem to think it is okay to play with two non-crossing wingers whose only contribution was dribbling until they lost procession. The team needs better coaching
Flex Swift

Surprised that you understood the passage as such. I clearly stated above that it was Rohr's view. Not mine. Unless you are rhetorically asking why Rohr called Onuachu up against his own beliefs. If that is the case, then note that such a question was raised at that time as well.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:59 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:49 pm
Flex Swift

Surprised that you understood the passage as such. I clearly stated above that it was Rohr's view. Not mine. Unless you are rhetorically asking why Rohr called Onuachu up against his own beliefs. If that is the case, then note that such a question was raised at that time as well.
Apologies I miss read your response