Canada, Japan and KSA have shown how bad we were against Portugal

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Canada, Japan and KSA have shown how bad we were against Portugal

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] I guess I needed a few days to get the humiliation of Portugal out of my system. After the disgraceful humiliation of the world's largest black nation, I was in no mood to write a match report immediately

[2] What was probably most terrible about that match was that we were dominated from start to finish. Portugal had something like 70% possession, the Eagles had no athleticism whatsoever and transitions, which have been our traditional hallmark, were totally absent. Looking at the likes of Canada, Saudi Arabia and Japan in this World Cup, it is clear how poor a team the current Super Eagles squad is

[3] Anyone who is still suggesting that Jose Peseiro should be left managing the Eagles should be tried for treason in my opinion. For starters, his team was not compact and lacked solidity. They also gave the ball away throughout the 90 minutes

[4] Peseiro's selection was also whack. For the first goal, Calvin Bassey was caught out of position. Throughout that game, he ventured forward too far, making his wing a weak spot for the Eagles. Bassey should maybe be a centreback, a wing back or part of a back three. From what I saw, playing him as a left back in a back four is simple no, no

[5] This too then begs the question of leadership in the team. Where was the Chukwu, Keshi, Taribo or Yobo-like senior figure at the back to marshal the defence and tell Bassey to stop bombing forward recklessly?

[6] One other thing that made my blood boil about that match was that neither of our centrebacks had the capacity to bring the ball out of defence. We did not build any attacks from the back because neither Akpoguma or Ekong is a ball playing centreback

[7] In midfield, maybe it is just me but we actually played well when Alex Iwobi was operating in a deep position just in front of the anchorman. Maybe an Ndidi/Iwobi/Ebere midfield might just be the Super Eagles future

[8] Bright Samuel-Osayi was arguably the brightest spark of the game. From what I can see so far, playing him and Aina as out two fullbacks is a must. No other fulbacks come remotely close to them in terms of quality

[9] Players who played themselves out of the Eagles in that match for me were Oghene Etebo in front of the defence and Ademola Lookman upfront. Once Etebo came in, we suddenly had a soft centre, conceding two goals and Lookman has repeatedly shown that he lacks the physicality to play at the highest level

[10] Can I just add that I like the idea of cleaning up the stadium after a game. Next time the Super Eagles play in London, we the Central Association of Nigerians in the UK (Canuk) will be leading Nigerian fans to clean up the stadium after the game
packerland
Egg
Egg
Re: Canada, Japan and KSA have shown how bad we were against Portugal

Post by packerland »

Ayo,

This might be your best 10-pointer. One slight correction, no need to mention Ebere. let’s not talk about guys who have not committed to playing for us.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I’ve been saying for a bile that Lookman is not a good fit for SE as a winger/wide forward but they keep calling me a hater. Now that Ayo has said the same thing, I hope we look at this issue closer.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 pm I’ve been saying for a bile that Lookman is not a good fit for SE as a winger/wide forward but they keep calling me a hater. Now that Ayo has said the same thing, I hope we look at this issue closer.
All of our wingers suck at the moment. He’s no worse than the rest.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Lookman is having a great season with Atalanta but has been surprisingly poor in most of the games he's played for the SE. At Atalanta he plays a central role as part of a front two. I would still like to see Lookman partner Osimhen whenever we play 2 strikers (preferably in a 3-5-2). I still think he has something to offer if he's used differently.

I think most are being harsh on Peseiro. I still think the team will come good. 4-0 is hard to swallow, however, it was just a friendly.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 pm I’ve been saying for a bile that Lookman is not a good fit for SE as a winger/wide forward but they keep calling me a hater. Now that Ayo has said the same thing, I hope we look at this issue closer.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

It was a friendly, no more. Get over it❗️

Cheers.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:20 pm It was a friendly, no more. Get over it❗️

Cheers.
And of no significance to players still sulking from the way they missed out of qualifying.
Perspective is needed.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If I am reading this correctly. We should shrug off a 4-0 hammering because it is just a friendly????? We should also shrug off:

[1] 70% to 30% possession
[2] Being unable to play out from the back
[3] Our back four being at sea
[4] Midfielders unable to track runners
[5] Zero creativity
[6] Lookman being totally out-physicalled
[7] Morfi barely touching the ball in 60 minutes
[8] Dennis thinking the Eagles is about him
[9] Etebo standing around when we are on the counter-attack
[10] Bassey gifting the opposition goals by always being out of position
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Absolutely, yes we should.
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:02 am I am reading this correctly. We should shrug off a 4-0 hammering because it is just a friendly????? We should also shrug off:

[5] Zero creativity
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:03 pm [1] I guess I needed a few days to get the humiliation of Portugal out of my system. After the disgraceful humiliation of the world's largest black nation, I was in no mood to write a match report immediately

[2] What was probably most terrible about that match was that we were dominated from start to finish. Portugal had something like 70% possession, the Eagles had no athleticism whatsoever and transitions, which have been our traditional hallmark, were totally absent. Looking at the likes of Canada, Saudi Arabia and Japan in this World Cup, it is clear how poor a team the current Super Eagles squad is

[3] Anyone who is still suggesting that Jose Peseiro should be left managing the Eagles should be tried for treason in my opinion. For starters, his team was not compact and lacked solidity. They also gave the ball away throughout the 90 minutes

[4] Peseiro's selection was also whack. For the first goal, Calvin Bassey was caught out of position. Throughout that game, he ventured forward too far, making his wing a weak spot for the Eagles. Bassey should maybe be a centreback, a wing back or part of a back three. From what I saw, playing him as a left back in a back four is simple no, no

[5] This too then begs the question of leadership in the team. Where was the Chukwu, Keshi, Taribo or Yobo-like senior figure at the back to marshal the defence and tell Bassey to stop bombing forward recklessly?

[6] One other thing that made my blood boil about that match was that neither of our centrebacks had the capacity to bring the ball out of defence. We did not build any attacks from the back because neither Akpoguma or Ekong is a ball playing centreback

[7] In midfield, maybe it is just me but we actually played well when Alex Iwobi was operating in a deep position just in front of the anchorman. Maybe an Ndidi/Iwobi/Ebere midfield might just be the Super Eagles future

[8] Bright Samuel-Osayi was arguably the brightest spark of the game. From what I can see so far, playing him and Aina as out two fullbacks is a must. No other fulbacks come remotely close to them in terms of quality

[9] Players who played themselves out of the Eagles in that match for me were Oghene Etebo in front of the defence and Ademola Lookman upfront. Once Etebo came in, we suddenly had a soft centre, conceding two goals and Lookman has repeatedly shown that he lacks the physicality to play at the highest level

[10] Can I just add that I like the idea of cleaning up the stadium after a game. Next time the Super Eagles play in London, we the Central Association of Nigerians in the UK (Canuk) will be leading Nigerian fans to clean up the stadium after the game
Ayo, if you buy me airplane ticket and match ticket, I go follow una stay clean stadium
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ayo Akinfe finally making sense after all these years.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Nonsense.
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

So much gnashing of teeth about a meaningless friendly game. We should be more introspective about our failure to qualify for the World Cup. BTW Portugal doing the same thing to Ghana
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigeria wasn’t going to the World Cup for a reason so I wasn’t surprised, most African teams aren’t ready to do much they just qualify and hope for the best.If Nigeria qualified Eguavoen would've still probably been in charge and the NFF would’ve forced Musa and Shehu into the team and some unworthy guy from elsewhere is that the rubbish that gets us anywhere?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:06 am Nigeria wasn’t going to the World Cup for a reason so I wasn’t surprised, most African teams aren’t ready to do much they just qualify and hope for the best.If Nigeria qualified Eguavoen would've still probably been in charge and the NFF would’ve forced Musa and Shehu into the team and some unworthy guy from elsewhere is that the rubbish that gets us anywhere?
Shhh…they say Musa brings leadership and Shehu is our utility player because he plays RB, CM & CDM

Other than 94 WC, you can name at least 4 undeserving players or injured players we carry go to the other WC.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:02 am If I am reading this correctly. We should shrug off a 4-0 hammering because it is just a friendly????? We should also shrug off:

[5] Zero creativity
Ayo....all your points are leading to one conclusion, the players did not try...

You can turn it into a 20-pointer if you like, the bottom line is that they didn't care because it did not matter to them....and honestly shouldn't matter to us.

Let say we went they and beat Portugal or lost by 1-0.....what does it change? we still not going to the world cup PERIOD. Which is why Osimhen picked some weird award in Dubai over the friendly....

IT IS A WASTE OF SPACE FRIENDLY...
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Comparing performance in a friendly with a World Cup match?

Someone seeking for a golden handshake again :)
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Where in the world is Tyrone Ebuehi in all of this? He's truly the best quality defender I've seen for the eagles in YEARS
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

deanotito wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:23 pm Where in the world is Tyrone Ebuehi in all of this? He's truly the best quality defender I've seen for the eagles in YEARS
AGREE 1000000%
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

blueangel wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:48 am
deanotito wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:23 pm Where in the world is Tyrone Ebuehi in all of this? He's truly the best quality defender I've seen for the eagles in YEARS
AGREE 1000000%
I really don’t understand how the likes of Rohr/Egu/Peseiro can look at that boy and not play him. When I see the people who play ahead of him, I’m just shocked. That boy is a baller. Sound in defending, technically strong.

But if your standard of who should play is simply who weighs the most, then you’re not a smart coach. If you actually look at impact/play, he towers over every one of them.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigeria didn’t qualify to the World Cup so what exactly would they play for?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:20 pm It was a friendly, no more. Get over it❗️

Cheers.
Please remind Uncle Ayo.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!