IVE FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM WITH SE & CAF TEAMS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
IVE FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM WITH SE & CAF TEAMS

Post by vancity eagle »

Watching this world cup and reflecting on past ones, its become painfully obvious to me what the problem with SE and AFrican teams in general is, and its not what most people think, though I have seen some highlight this before.

It's not the players quality, absolutely not.

SE have the players to make a quarterfinal run, make no mistake about it. So do teams like Senegal, Morocco, even Ghana.

I dont ever want to hear that our players are not good enough. There is a problem with our players, but it isn't that they "aren't good enough"

It also IS NOT the coaching. I am not saying that the coaching cannot improve, because it can, but that is not the MAIN PROBLEM with SE and African teams in general.

The problem is rather a simple one, but it may be a hard one to fix because of what may be the "AFrican mentality"

THE PROBLEM IS THAT AFRICAN PLAYERS ARE LAZY AND LACK DETERMINATION.

YES IVE SAID IT THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH AFRICAN TEAMS AND THAT IS WHAT WILL KEEP HOLDING US BACK.

Just look at how sheer determination elevated Japan over Germany. Was it players or coaching ? No it wasn't, it was sheer determination.

Look at how sheer determination made Holland look like amateurs against the Ecuadorian team today.

Look at the sheer determination of Saudi to play to the end and deny the Argentines.

Look at the sheer determination of the Koreans as they hassled the Uruguayans non stop.

Look at the sheer determination of the US against England. (I am still at halftime but you can see that determination is the difference between these 2 teams)

Look at the sheer determination of Iran who lost their opening match 6-2 to come back and win against Wales.

IT IS ABOUT WHO WANTS IT MORE, AND AFRICANS ARE HAPPY TO JUST GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS. PURE LAZINESS AND BIGMANISM.

We think we have arrived when we haven't.

See how pure laziness and lack of determination cost Senegal against Holland, as players were ball watching and Mendy was rooted to his goal. See how pure laziness from Senegal allowed Qatar to score a goal they should not have scored. The determination from Qatar today, had they half the quality of Senegal, they would have won the match. Who remembers how Senegal in 2018 again were ball watching as they allowed Colombia to score a header. Who remembers how in 2014 Ivory Coast allowed the same Colombia to score on them from a corner. It was a tiny player who got it. Disgraceful.

Our 4-0 loss to Portugal the other day was pure lack of will to run and fight on the pitch. Our loss to Argentina in 2018 again pure lack of will to fight for every minute.

Africans are always standing around losing the people they are supposed to mark, they switch off they dont press, they lack the fight.

I put it to you all here today, that this is the main thing holding AFrican football back, its lack of determination and fight for an entire match.

Why do you think the Asian teams are doing better than us ?

Do they have better players ? NO

Do they have better coaches ? Probably yes slightly, but its not about coaching really

Do they fight harder for a full 90 plus minutes ? YES.

People may not want to hear this but it is the absolute truth.

If we look back to when we won AFCON with Keshi, it came down to that match with CIV, and the reason we won was not because we had better players, not even better tactics or coaching. THE PLAYERS WANTED IT MORE, plain and simple.

We need to only call players who will die on the pitch. Primadonnas and lazy players need to be dumped big time.
Last edited by vancity eagle on Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: IVE FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM WITH SE & CAF TEAMS

Post by vancity eagle »

I am telling you all that the main problem, BY FAR, with SE and African teams is that they think that they can get the job done with minimal effort.

They cannot.

Football is not only scientific nowadays, it is highly competitive and VERY PHYSICAL.

You must put in a shift, both offensively and defensively.

We used to do this, but now our players are lazy.

If we had the fight of the US or Korea or Japan , SE would make the semi finals I have no doubt about that.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Our troubles in Africa were to do with this problem.

Those matches against Liberia, CAR, Sierra Leone etc we suffered because those teams WANTED IT MORE. They outworked us on the pitch.

It's no coincidence we have started to struggle since Ndidi has been missing or out of form. He was always a live wire for us.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

It especially doesn't help when you play a 442 with LAZY PLAYERS, who do not understand the amount of work and movement they need to put in to make that formation work.

That's why players get isolated and we struggle.

I think we need serious FITNESS COACHING.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

It's like when Africans get a little bit of success we don't strive for even better, we just settle and are satisfied.

Look at Iheanacho.

Yes I have been critical of Osimehns misses but if we had 11 Osimehns fighting on the pitch, we will be making serious noise in Qatar.

That guy personifies fight and effort. The rest of our players are lazy bums.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

This makes the continued non callup of Yusuf Alhassan even all the more disgraceful.

A guy known for his energy and ball carrying.

Thunder fire the damn NFF who sent a letter to his club saying he won't be needed after he was originally called.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I can now understand why Rohr, Egu, and Peseiro have persisted with Moses Simon.

He puts in a shift even though he is a very DUMB player.

But even lately he has started to slack. We must be able to find a better wide player who is willing to run his socks off. Seriously.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...I hope your football ogas in naija are watching how small to minor footballing countries are surpassing expectations. Instead na bribe bribe, default default, poor organizations, logistics, incompetence, travel to Europe in disguise and pretenses.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

It's Deja vu all over again. I really have been around here for so long that history seems to be constantly repeating itself. Where things happen so fast that it seems that nothing happenned.

VE, once upon a time here on CE, not too long ago. We used to make fun of the so called "GRA GRA TEAMS", the teams that depended on effort ,tireless running and sheer will. Remember police football too? Teams like Japan,USA, Equador etc got no respect around here

Well , it seems like these gra gra teams lucked out and found a little bit of skill to make them relevant. Who would've thunk it? :shock:

So, it seems to like you're asking us to add some gra gra and tireless running to the wingplay we've been developing over the past 50yrs.

You know what? You're absolutely gaddem right! It has taken us this long to realize that we don't have what it takes to dribble everybody and win easily. We simply have to Outlook teams. That's all!
OCCUPY NFF!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:19 pm Watching this world cup and reflecting on past ones, its become painfully obvious to me what the problem with SE and AFrican teams in general is, and its not what most people think, though I have seen some highlight this before.

It's not the players quality, absolutely not.

SE have the players to make a quarterfinal run, make no mistake about it. So do teams like Senegal, Morocco, even Ghana.

I dont ever want to hear that our players are not good enough. There is a problem with our players, but it isn't that they "aren't good enough"

It also IS NOT the coaching. I am not saying that the coaching cannot improve, because it can, but that is not the MAIN PROBLEM with SE and African teams in general.

The problem is rather a simple one, but it may be a hard one to fix because of what may be the "AFrican mentality"

THE PROBLEM IS THAT AFRICAN PLAYERS ARE LAZY AND LACK DETERMINATION.

YES IVE SAID IT THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH AFRICAN TEAMS AND THAT IS WHAT WILL KEEP HOLDING US BACK.

Just look at how sheer determination elevated Japan over Germany. Was it players or coaching ? No it wasn't, it was sheer determination.

Look at how sheer determination made Holland look like amateurs against the Ecuadorian team today.

Look at the sheer determination of Saudi to play to the end and deny the Argentines.

Look at the sheer determination of the Koreans as they hassled the Uruguayans non stop.

Look at the sheer determination of the US against England. (I am still at halftime but you can see that determination is the difference between these 2 teams)

Look at the sheer determination of Iran who lost their opening match 6-2 to come back and win against Wales.

IT IS ABOUT WHO WANTS IT MORE, AND AFRICANS ARE HAPPY TO JUST GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS. PURE LAZINESS AND BIGMANISM.

We think we have arrived when we haven't.

See how pure laziness and lack of determination cost Senegal against Holland, as players were ball watching and Mendy was rooted to his goal. See how pure laziness from Senegal allowed Qatar to score a goal they should not have scored. The determination from Qatar today, had they half the quality of Senegal, they would have won the match. Who remembers how Senegal in 2018 again were ball watching as they allowed Colombia to score a header. Who remembers how in 2014 Ivory Coast allowed the same Colombia to score on them from a corner. It was a tiny player who got it. Disgraceful.

Our 4-0 loss to Portugal the other day was pure lack of will to run and fight on the pitch. Our loss to Argentina in 2018 again pure lack of will to fight for every minute.

Africans are always standing around losing the people they are supposed to mark, they switch off they dont press, they lack the fight.

I put it to you all here today, that this is the main thing holding AFrican football back, its lack of determination and fight for an entire match.

Why do you think the Asian teams are doing better than us ?

Do they have better players ? NO

Do they have better coaches ? Probably yes slightly, but its not about coaching really

Do they fight harder for a full 90 plus minutes ? YES.

People may not want to hear this but it is the absolute truth.

If we look back to when we won AFCON with Keshi, it came down to that match with CIV, and the reason we won was not because we had better players, not even better tactics or coaching. THE PLAYERS WANTED IT MORE, plain and simple.

We need to only call players who will die on the pitch. Primadonnas and lazy players need to be dumped big time.
Nice write-up, but you generalized too much and my greatest disagreement is your take about,
AFRICAN PLAYERS ARE LAZY AND LACK DETERMINATION

I have expressed my worries about most African players and teams,
and that is a lack of individual and team focus, discipline, and inability to
following simple instructions. Did you note how quickly Portugal scored two
goals right after Ghana tied the match at 1-1?
Your claim that African players are lazy cannot match the fact that the
the continent was well represented by our SE and Cameroon against great
teams from other parts of the world. Would you say Mane, Salah, Pogba, and
Osimhen are lazy? What I find wrong today is the attitude of those in charge of
the sport and what seems like arrogance by some of the national team players.

Until what seem like the basis for success are corrected by the federations,
coaches, and players themselves, the rot cannot be stemmed.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:36 am It's Deja vu all over again. I really have been around here for so long that history seems to be constantly repeating itself. Where things happen so fast that it seems that nothing happenned.

VE, once upon a time here on CE, not too long ago. We used to make fun of the so called "GRA GRA TEAMS", the teams that depended on effort ,tireless running and sheer will. Remember police football too? Teams like Japan,USA, Equador etc got no respect around here

Well , it seems like these gra gra teams lucked out and found a little bit of skill to make them relevant. Who would've thunk it? :shock:

So, it seems to like you're asking us to add some gra gra and tireless running to the wingplay we've been developing over the past 50yrs.

You know what? You're absolutely gaddem right! It has taken us this long to realize that we don't have what it takes to dribble everybody and win easily. We simply have to Outlook teams. That's all!
No it's not GRA GRA.

You still need technical and smart players, but they need to work their socks off.

We had this in 1994.

Maybe we can afford ONE gra gra player on the entire pitch. That's if we cannot find a technical replacent for Ndidi.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

VE
Halleluyah!!! You finally, see the light. Now you understand when we point out that BS about playing in BIG 5 league was exactly that -- BS. In African player cases, I have noted, tgat playing in a Big 5 league does not make one better than a guy playing in the Middle East or other leagues because of economic dictates.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Wait till the tourney ends for theses.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:00 am Wait till the tourney ends for theses.
Yujam

You actually do not need to wait. We have been witnessing this in games even before now. Thus, there is no reason to wait for end of tourney. The only mystery that the end of tourney will bring is whether multiple African teams will advance beyond the first round.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:58 am VE
Halleluyah!!! You finally, see the light. Now you understand when we point out that BS about playing in BIG 5 league was exactly that -- BS. In African player cases, I have noted, tgat playing in a Big 5 league does not make one better than a guy playing in the Middle East or other leagues because of economic dictates.
But getting into those clubs and staying there surely shows some level of professionalism and work ethic, on top of whatever natural skill the player has. Those clubs are businesses. If you're lazy, you don't survive.

This problem is more complex than people are making out. People are looking for simple answers, but there are no simple answers. First, you need to start with talented players. Senegal won the AFCON because they're more talented than Nigeria right now.

And even if you talk of local players. Didn't our local guys get tossed out of the CHAN qualifiers recently? Even on that front, they're failing against African-based opposition.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:56 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:36 am It's Deja vu all over again. I really have been around here for so long that history seems to be constantly repeating itself. Where things happen so fast that it seems that nothing happenned.

No it's not GRA GRA.

You still need technical and smart players, but they need to work their socks off.

We had this in 1994.

Maybe we can afford ONE gra gra player on the entire pitch. That's if we cannot find a technical replacent for Ndidi.

The gra gra I’m talking about is the running,tackling, covering every blade of grass, winning 50/50 balls . The Mutui, Lawal, Finidi, JJ, Amokachi type who play 90mins and leave it all on the pitch.
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:58 am VE
I think you've missed his point.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:44 am

No it's not GRA GRA.

We had this in 1994.

The gra gra I’m talking about is the running,tackling, covering every blade of grass, winning 50/50 balls . The Mutui, Lawal, Finidi, JJ, Amokachi type who play 90mins and leave it all on the pitch.
JJ is definitely not a GRR GRA player from your definition. JJ will not defend if his life depends on it. He works hard at displaying the finesse some people might call negative soccer … all thrills but no goals!!
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:00 am Wait till the tourney ends for theses.
You know we here on SE like to 'jump the gun' in the pretense of knowing and prophesizing.
:wink: :sneaky: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Its not gra gra, the US has players playing in Chelsea and AC Milan. Its about making the opponent play the type of game they are not assembled to play or dont want to play.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:44 am

No it's not GRA GRA.

We had this in 1994.

Gra gra as I understand it is all effort and no brains or technique.

We have the technique and brains(some of our players)

What we lack is the determination and dedication to go full tilt for 90 plus.

Other than Osimehn, and recently Iwobi, everyone else no be am.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

oscar52 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:32 am Its not gra gra, the US has players playing in Chelsea and AC Milan. Its about making the opponent play the type of game they are not assembled to play or dont want to play.
Kpom