Somebody call the Mexican Embassy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Somebody call the Mexican Embassy

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

To welcome them to the Argentina wife’s club and send them tapes of how we’ve been a good wife since 1994. That 28yrs of being a good wife. :laugh: Seriously though, did that not look like every game we’ve ever played against Argentina at the WC? I could swear that I saw Musa, Mikel and Enyeama on the pitch today. You see folks. It ain’t easy.
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Somebody all the Mexican Embassy

Post by Orion »

Talent matters when it comes to the crunch. In desperate times the more talented team often comes on top.

Yes, there are a few anecdotes of big teams dropping the ball in crunch games, but those are the exception, not the rule. I think nearly all pundits predicted an Argentina win over us in 2018. I was angry by their predictions then, but it does make sense. Argentina had better players, was the higher-ranked team, and they had their backs against the wall.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Orion wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:02 pm Talent matters when it comes to the crunch. In desperate times the more talented team often comes on top.

Yes, there are a few anecdotes of big teams dropping the ball in crunch games, but those are the exception, not the rule. I think nearly all pundits predicted an Argentina win over us in 2018. I was angry by their predictions then, but it does make sense. Argentina had better players, was the higher-ranked team, and they had their backs against the wall.
ALL so very true and on point
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Mexico’s record against Argentina is even worse than ours. Argentina have been lucky in the WC. They meet us in the group stages and Mexico in the 2nd round.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

packerland wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:27 am Mexico’s record against Argentina is even worse than ours. Argentina have been lucky in the WC. They meet us in the group stages and Mexico in the 2nd round.
Oga, we’ve never beaten Argentina in a competitive game at the senior level. Olympics and under 20 don’t count. We’ve actually never come close.
OCCUPY NFF!!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Orion wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:02 pm Talent matters when it comes to the crunch. In desperate times the more talented team often comes on top.

The beauty of football is that you actually get to play the matches to determine the winner. At the end of the day it will still be 11 vs 11 and there is always room for upset. However, if your team enter the match defeated with zero hope like Rohr's team get to do then that is a big problem.

Nigeria has created its own upsets. Vs Bulgaria in 1994 and Spain in 1998. As painful as the loss against Italy was in 1994, most people were proud of the display of the SE in our first ever WC! Same cannot be said of the 2018 experience.

Saudi Arabia created an upset because they believe they can do it and they work to do it. In 2018, Rohr believed we cannot beat a higher ranked team and that was felt by the entire team.

If you will fail, let it not be because of lack of trying! Put in the required shift!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:12 am

The beauty of football is that you actually get to play the matches to determine the winner. At the end of the day it will still be 11 vs 11 and there is always room for upset. However, if your team enter the match defeated with zero hope like Rohr's team get to do then that is a big problem.

Nigeria has created its own upsets. Vs Bulgaria in 1994 and Spain in 1998. As painful as the loss against Italy was in 1994, most people were proud of the display of the SE in our first ever WC! Same cannot be said of the 2018 experience.

Saudi Arabia created an upset because they believe they can do it and they work to do it. In 2018, Rohr believed we cannot beat a higher ranked team and that was felt by the entire team.

If you will fail, let it not be because of lack of trying! Put in the required shift!
Oga, there's no way to spin. Nigeria was never going to beat Argentina even if Pep and JMO were coaching SE.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Imagine an Eguavoen managed qualified to the World Cup,I think it would’ve been more shameful that what Rohr put out.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

A small team can beat a big team in a routine game any day. Cameroon did it. We've done it. Senegal did it. I'm talking here of crunch, do-or-die games.

Only a few teams have won the world cup in modern football. Not a single one of them is a small team like Nigeria. Do you know why? It's because, when it comes to the crunch, do-or-die games, the talent of the big team matters.

Yes, yes, yes, on rare occasions, small teams have won crunch games because the big team fvvcked up! But like I said, that is the exception, NOT the rule. That is why no single small team has won the world cup!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:49 am

A small team can beat a big team in a routine game any day. Cameroon did it. We've done it. Senegal did it. I'm talking here of crunch, do-or-die games.

Only a few teams have won the world cup in modern football. Not a single one of them is a small team like Nigeria. Do you know why? It's because, when it comes to the crunch, do-or-die games, the talent of the big team matters.
8-)
Yes, yes, yes, on rare occasions, small teams have won crunch games because the big team fvvcked up! But like I said, that is the exception, NOT the rule. That is why no single small team has won the world cup!
Uncle Wanaj0 is in his element again.
He believes his own spin, then dishes it out as fact. Like many others that expected a different outcome vs Argentina 2018 as a matter of course. :roll:

Nigeria gave Argentina a decent fight in 2018. A little bit of fortune and we’d be talking a different story today.
But we lost to a superior team and only those in denial will argue otherwise.
Delusions of grandeur. Quality will almost always shine through in the end.

If we had beaten them it would have been nothing more than an upset. A sweet one-off.
Arguments that “Argentina was weak” or even “at an all-time low” are just self-serving arguments with absolutely no basis.
‘All-time low’ with the GOAT and several other superstars in their ranks? “ Weak” relative to who?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We went into that game with advised caution but hoping to perform an upset. It nearly happened but didn’t happen.
Try again next time.
And get a decent ref that won’t bottle it when a clear penalty goes in favour of a ‘minnow’ against one of the biggest teams in world football.

Footnote:
Lesson in History - Chile 87 U20 WC.

Nigeria went to that tournament brimming with confidence. Full of mouth, typical Naija style. Etim Esin “the next Maradona”. Sotay, we spoke to our group opponents Brazil ‘anyhow’.
Crunch time they beat us like we stole something. Maybe we did - we tried to steal their respect. Post-match press conference, they rubbed it in: “Nigeria disrespected us”.
Game over. :idea:

Any team that carelessly or arrogantly goes up against the world’s football superpowers, no matter how ‘weak’ they are believed to be, will get beaten like a talking drum. The sounds of agony will be heard for years after.

But we know that prudence is seen as a weakness in a country that runs on gra-gra. :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:08 am

8-)
He believes his own spin, then dishes it out as fact. Like many others that expected a different outcome vs Argentina 2018 as a matter of course. :lol:

Nigeria gave Argentina a decent fight in 2018. A little bit of fortune and we’d be talking a different story today.
Delusions of grandeur.
If we had beaten them it would have been nothing more than an upset. A sweet one-off.
Arguments that “Argentina was weak” or even “at an all-time low” are just self-serving arguments with absolutely no basis.
‘All-time low’ with the GOAT and several other superstars in their ranks? “ Weak” relative to who?

We went into that game with caution hoping to perform an upset. It nearly happened but didn’t happen.
Try again next time.
And get a decent ref that won’t bottle it when a clear penalty goes against one of the biggest teams in world football in favour of a ‘minnow’.

Footnote:

Nigeria went to that tournament brimming with confidence. Full of mouth, typical Naija style. Etim Esin “the next Maradona”. Sotay, we spoke to our group opponents Brazil ‘anyhow’.
Crunch time they beat us like we stole something. Maybe we did - we tried to steal their respect. Post-match press conference, they rubbed it in: “Nigeria disrespected us”.

Any team that carelessly or arrogantly goes up against the world’s football superpowers, no matter how ‘weak’ they are believed to be, will get beaten like a talking drum. The sounds of agony will be heard for years after.

But we know that prudence is seen as a weakness in country the runs on gra-gra. :rotf:
Very well put. We gave our all in that game and were outdone by the more talented team. It's actually an insult and a disservice to the players to imply they went there and laid down for Argentina. They badly wanted to qualify for the next round, but they were up against a desperate team with better players in almost all departments. The result is not so surprising.

If we had a Vincent Enyeama, maybe we could have pulled a draw in that game. But imagine our keeper that can't even catch a simple basic shot against Ghana. :oops: :rotf:
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

8-)
He believes his own spin, then dishes it out as fact. Like many others that expected a different outcome vs Argentina 2018 as a matter of course. :roll:

Delusions of grandeur. Quality will almost always shine through in the end.

We went into that game with advised caution but hoping to perform an upset. It nearly happened but didn’t happen.
Try again next time.
And get a decent ref that won’t bottle it when a clear penalty goes in favour of a ‘minnow’ against one of the biggest teams in world football.

Footnote:

But we know that prudence is seen as a weakness in a country that runs on gra-gra. :rotf:
Yes you are RIGHT!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Orion wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:33 am

8-)
He believes his own spin, then dishes it out as fact. Like many others that expected a different outcome vs Argentina 2018 as a matter of course. :lol:

Delusions of grandeur.

We went into that game with caution hoping to perform an upset. It nearly happened but didn’t happen.
Try again next time.
And get a decent ref that won’t bottle it when a clear penalty goes against one of the biggest teams in world football in favour of a ‘minnow’.

Footnote:

But we know that prudence is seen as a weakness in country the runs on gra-gra. :rotf:
Very well put. We gave our all in that game and were outdone by the more talented team. It's actually an insult and a disservice to the players to imply they went there and laid down for Argentina. They badly wanted to qualify for the next round, but they were up against a desperate team with better players in almost all departments. The result is not so surprising.

If we had a Vincent Enyeama, maybe we could have pulled a draw in that game. But imagine our keeper that can't even catch a simple basic shot against Ghana. :oops: :rotf:
The FACT is that we lost to the 'SUPER' talented Argentina team who went on to show how 'SUPER' they were in the course of the tournament.