List of Local coaches for SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: List of Local coaches for SE

Post by txj »

Sunset wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:06 am
txj wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:12 pm
Sunset wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:19 pm
txj wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:47 pm
Sunset wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:18 pm
txj wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:51 pm
Sunset wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:28 am
A very apt description of Oliseh's career as a coach at International & club level :thumb:

The fact people still mention his name wrt coaching is hilarious to say the least.

His name keeps being mentioned cus we have very few homegrown options that are credible, if we want tbh with ourselves.

You cannot produce quality local coaches in the environment in which football is played/coached in Nigeria. That's a simple fact.

None of the clubs are competitive in the continental competitions; not even in CHAN...

In the 1990s I published a post WC review in The Guardian. I stated then that I expected Nigeria to continue using FCs for another 4-6yrs; long enough for the Keshi generation to retire and transition to coaching.

Look at his generation and the ones that followed. How many of them can you credibly point to as realistic options outside Keshi, SS, SO...?

Now contrast that to CIV or Senegal, even Zambia and you see the likes of Charles Musonda from the Keshi generation. You see Kolo Toure and how he made the transition

Even Yaya Toure, who came thru Liverpool to understudy Klopp.

Compare that to our own ex-pros, like Kanu, JJ, Ikpeba, etc. They are just not interested...
I'm guessing Amunike must be playing golf.

I forgot him; also Egbo.

But my overall point remains. Just contrast this with the situation in other countries.
The idea that ex internationals that transition to coaching are credible doesn't hold much weight IMO, and a great reputation as a player won't hide the reality of an incompetent coach. Its not for everybody and there are too many examples of that being the case so i can't knock guys who aren't interested. And you literally mentioned at most 2 "potential options" in the Toure brothers from CIV while Musonda's a fitness coach for Congolese side. Seems like you're trying to exaggerate a point here.

Its not the only pathway to coaching, but it certainly is the most dominant pathway in the world.

And it is the pathway that has resulted in the most success, even while recognizing that there are a few exceptions.

In the continent, it is increasingly the most dominant. Which means that the more ex-pros you have transitioning to coaching, the greater your options.

Outside of this pathway, the local league is your most sustainable long term option. But you have to have a quality and competitive league, which incubates the coaches.

We have a dysfunctional league in almost every material particular. Plus we do not have any truly professional clubs...

The NIS is a moribund institution and has been near dead for a long time.

So even when you train coaches, they have practically no credible environment to practice and grow..
The point is we have as much if not more former players venturing into coaching than those countries you mentioned. Its interesting that on one hand you complain about ex-internationals not being interested in coaching but then attempt to belittle one who's trying to go that same route. I can't be knocking anyones credentials its on how they apply themselves that really matters in the end.
And Nigeria as a whole is not a place that respects professionalism which is why we're in this mess in the first place, so all we can do is support those that try to overcome the constraints of the system.

And Remo Stars for example are a professionally run club.

We do not have as much. You do not follow football well enough to know...
And not sure what u mean by belittle; the NIS certificate stopped being anything credible after Ekeji and co left...

As for Remo Stars, if u say so...But being 'professionally run' and being a professional club are different things...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

felarey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:22 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:31 am
txj wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:03 am
Enugu II wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:52 am
felarey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:02 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:33 am
felarey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:36 am The local NPFL coaches are overlooked because of the environment they're in. I wouldn't hire a local chemistry school teacher from a school of uncompleted buildings (cement block boxes) with a black board, no running water, no windows, no computers and unconnected. A teacher that practices in a lab with lack of test tubes, bunsen burners etc. Won't hire this teacher to teach kids in a modern classroom with facilities like whiteboards, acoustics and noise design, ventilation and air quality, smart lighting, temp control etc. Such a teacher would need to go prove himself first in this type of environment, sorry.

Our best bet if we want our own are Siasia or Oliseh or better still a combination of both...IMHO. It was a disgrace here when peeps (because of their disdain for Oliseh) overlooked the complete incompetence of the NFF and the rogue move publicly used to prove they had paid him. We let the NFF off the hook there and it's no wonder where we are today. Ofcourse once in a while a coach like Keshi will come along and achieve hence we foolishly think it's a workable environment to work in.
When was the last time you saw Oliseh or Siasia coaching a team of pros? If we want to move forward we can’t keep bringing failed coaches back.
Well, one thing we know now is there is a pattern of success with ex internationals coaching. We see Regragui, Cisse, Song, Keshi and I'd add Siasia. Ex internationals that have "been there, done that" credentials and are able to connect with their players in a unique way. This seems to be an established path to success as seen in several countries and in our case, the best guys are Siasia and Oliseh. For me, I think it's very unfair to judge/condemn these guys giving the incompetence they had to deal with. Keshi achieved irrespective of this incompetence, but that is why we have nothing to work with today. Oliseh has not retired and is currently involved in the FIFA Technical Study Group. He's rubbing minds on every WC game with the likes of Arsene Wenger and Klinsmann. I dunno where Siasia is at with his FIFA problems.
Felarey,

There are successful coaches in Nigeria and they are by no means limited to ex-internationals. There are several achievers in the country that have not played a second for Nigeria. Let's not limited that pool.

Success at what (coaching); in what environment (Nigeria)?
Chief, with sub par environments come certain limitations, no matter how good the individual is. It's not a shot on the individual but at the system. For instance a chef in a backyard kitchen with clay pots and wood burners could whip up correct peppersoup, efo riro and yam porridge. He could be excellent at it. But this chef can never make a good Texan smoked brisket that requires slow cooking. Put the same chef in a modern kitchen with Wolf appliances and he might just burn the house down. :lol:
y

Your analogy is on point :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:39 pm
txj wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:51 pm

His name keeps being mentioned cus we have very few homegrown options that are credible, if we want tbh with ourselves.

You cannot produce quality local coaches in the environment in which football is played/coached in Nigeria. That's a simple fact.

None of the clubs are competitive in the continental competitions; not even in CHAN...

In the 1990s I published a post WC review in The Guardian. I stated then that I expected Nigeria to continue using FCs for another 4-6yrs; long enough for the Keshi generation to retire and transition to coaching.

Look at his generation and the ones that followed. How many of them can you credibly point to as realistic options outside Keshi, SS, SO...?

Now contrast that to CIV or Senegal, even Zambia and you see the likes of Charles Musonda from the Keshi generation. You see Kolo Toure and how he made the transition

Even Yaya Toure, who came thru Liverpool to understudy Klopp.

Compare that to our own ex-pros, like Kanu, JJ, Ikpeba, etc. They are just not interested...

I forgot him; also Egbo.

But my overall point remains. Just contrast this with the situation in other countries.
The idea that ex internationals that transition to coaching are credible doesn't hold much weight IMO, and a great reputation as a player won't hide the reality of an incompetent coach. Its not for everybody and there are too many examples of that being the case so i can't knock guys who aren't interested. And you literally mentioned at most 2 "potential options" in the Toure brothers from CIV while Musonda's a fitness coach for Congolese side. Seems like you're trying to exaggerate a point here.

Its not the only pathway to coaching, but it certainly is the most dominant pathway in the world.

And it is the pathway that has resulted in the most success, even while recognizing that there are a few exceptions.

In the continent, it is increasingly the most dominant. Which means that the more ex-pros you have transitioning to coaching, the greater your options.

Outside of this pathway, the local league is your most sustainable long term option. But you have to have a quality and competitive league, which incubates the coaches.

We have a dysfunctional league in almost every material particular. Plus we do not have any truly professional clubs...

So even when you train coaches, they have practically no credible environment to practice and grow..
The point is we have as much if not more former players venturing into coaching than those countries you mentioned. Its interesting that on one hand you complain about ex-internationals not being interested in coaching but then attempt to belittle one who's trying to go that same route. I can't be knocking anyones credentials its on how they apply themselves that really matters in the end.
And Nigeria as a whole is not a place that respects professionalism which is why we're in this mess in the first place, so all we can do is support those that try to overcome the constraints of the system.

And not sure what u mean by belittle; the NIS certificate stopped being anything credible after Ekeji and co left...

As for Remo Stars, if u say so...But being 'professionally run' and being a professional club are different things...
Indeed, yet with your "infinite knowledge" you could only name at most two coaches from CIV and a fitness coach in Congo as credible options? Lets deal with facts not feelings here and be sensible for once, but i'm probably asking for too much from you.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

:-x
Sunset wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:27 pm

I forgot him; also Egbo.

Indeed, yet with your "infinite knowledge" you could only name at most two coaches from CIV and a fitness coach in Congo as credible options? Lets deal with facts not feelings here and be sensible for once, but i'm probably asking for too much from you.
Sunset

Most of these guys have no glue about coaches in NPFL or other African countries. You know that. The ones that they have an inkling are those who may have been involved at the national level. Thus they have reasons to obfuscate and to claim that the coaches are no good. It is what it is it is but those who know KNOW.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:39 am
We’ll done Nosa. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Slowly, our people will start to come through in coaching, like all other fields.
It will then be a matter real choice based on performance and results, not sentiment.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:35 am
Slowly, our people will start to come through in coaching, like all other fields.
It will then be a matter real choice based on performance and results, not sentiment.
Sentiment should always be part of the mix even encouraging local participation - it is the same all over the world.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:13 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:35 am
Sentiment should always be part of the mix even encouraging local participation - it is the same all over the world.
Sentiment can come into play when you have a minimum benchmark. That's acceptable.
Not sentiment when the only thing going for you on your CV is that you are a Nigerian citizen and the so-called achievements would not even get you on a 10-man shortlist if not for that fact.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I forgot him; also Egbo.

It makes no difference how many I name.
If you follow European football, you would not need me to name 200 for you...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:48 pm :-x

I forgot him; also Egbo.

Sunset

Most of these guys have no glue about coaches in NPFL or other African countries. You know that. The ones that they have an inkling are those who may have been involved at the national level. Thus they have reasons to obfuscate and to claim that the coaches are no good. It is what it is it is but those who know KNOW.

I don't have to know the coaches personally. I only need to see their work and the conditions they operate in. That helps establish standards.

If the standard of the league is poor, it is foolhardy to simply assume that a coach who has a winning record in said poor league, can be ranked as his counterparts in higher climes...

In your academic work, you wouldn't make evaluations without considering the standards where the applicants are coming from...

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

txj wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:33 pm

I forgot him; also Egbo.

It makes no difference how many I name.
If you follow European football, you would not need me to name 200 for you...
European football yet we're discussing african coaches here? You're the one who named the fitness coach as some sort of proof so the irony is glaring...
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Michael Nsien, recently appointed Head Coach of the US Men's u17 National team readily comes to mind. He has a UEFA A License as well as a US Pro License. He's from Akwa Ibom. He has He played for the University of Dayton and the LA Galaxy of Major League Soccer. He's quite familiar with Nigerian football as he was a member of our Olympic team that failed to qualify for the 2004 Olympics. When he was Head Coach of FC Tulsa, he signed several Nigerian players like Mfon Udoh, Solomon Kwambe, Raphael Ayagwa and Stanley Oganbor.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2022/1 ... ional-team

https://globalupfront.com/2022/11/16/mi ... male-team/
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Sunset wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:04 pm Club Statement: Daniel Ogunmodede
Published by Admin on November 25, 2022Categories Tags
https://remostarsfc.com/2022/11/25/club ... nmodede-2/
Head Coach, Daniel Ogunmodede departed the country for a coaching training course in Europe.

Club Statement: Daniel Ogunmodede
In a bid to improve his tactical knowledge in the game, Daniel Ogunmodede will be in in Portugal for a Football Data Analytics training and Continuous Coaching Education Development (CCED).

The gaffer will also make a trip to Spain and Germany respectively for first hand training tours and football education development.

The club continue to give support to the Technical crew in terms of development ahead of the new Nigeria Professional Football League, NPFL season.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Sunset wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:08 am
Head Coach, Daniel Ogunmodede departed the country for a coaching training course in Europe.

In a bid to improve his tactical knowledge in the game, Daniel Ogunmodede will be in in Portugal for a Football Data Analytics training and Continuous Coaching Education Development (CCED).

The gaffer will also make a trip to Spain and Germany respectively for first hand training tours and football education development.

The club continue to give support to the Technical crew in terms of development ahead of the new Nigeria Professional Football League, NPFL season.
I like the brand of football he has gotten Remo to play, these are the type of coaches NFF should invest more in.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:40 am
Sunset wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:08 am

I like the brand of football he has gotten Remo to play, these are the type of coaches NFF should invest more in.
He is obviously a trendsetter in every sense of the word.
The more respectable coaching is seen to be, the more it will attract real lovers of football coaching with the brains and desire to achieve really great things.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

5 pages and we still don’t have a candidate ready to take over SE. I hope this puts an end to thinking of hiring a LC anytime soon. It’s Pesseiro till Afcon, if gets to the semis he should be retained for WCQ. Das all!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

I wouldn't say he's in the conversation for the SE but Beyond Limits (Remo U19) Coach has really built up quite the profile in a short period of time from winning the TCC league 3 years in a row, to getting to the Viareggio finals to getting this young side promoted to the NNL (2nd division) bare in mind it was only just 2 seasons ago that the first team were in the NNL :clap: :clap: :clap:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Sunset wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:02 pm I wouldn't say he's in the conversation for the SE but Beyond Limits (Remo U19) Coach has really built up quite the profile in a short period of time from winning the TCC league 3 years in a row, to getting to the Viareggio finals to getting this young side promoted to the NNL (2nd division) bare in mind it was only just 2 seasons ago that the first team were in the NNL :clap: :clap: :clap:
Honestly he should be coaching the U20s. It's a no brainer.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.