Nigerian football should have more Northerners

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigerian football should have more Northerners

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Damunk wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:57 am
Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:51 am
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:54 am I'm back with another controversial topic! To keep it short and simple, I think Nigeria has done a terrible job in exploring the talent pool among the North, the representation of Northerners in all our national teams have been poor, and it can't just be due to lack of enthusiasm on the part of Northerners in the round leather game.

For better context, has anyone noticed that all the more skillful players that play for Ghana are from the Northern region in Ghana, precisely Hausas?

Kudus
Kamaldeen Sulemana
Salisu
Baba Rahman
Sulley Muntari
Abdul Samed
etc

All these players I listed come from predominantly the Hausa speaking parts of the North, and they are among the best players Ghana had fielded...maybe it's time we try scout more in the North for football talents? it's no surprise that most of our best Southern players all came from football academies in the North.
I notice that most of the outstanding players of SE are of Igbo origin. If the Northerners were that good, they would have been picked already. After all, we know where most of the officials of NFF are from.
What do you know about Nigerian ethnicities?
You probably think Aribo is Igbo. :rotf:
Like their cousins in Kenya (Luos) the Igbos are ballers !
Last edited by Field Marshall Ogolo on Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigerian football should have more Northerners

Post by wiseone »

This is also a demographic issue. 75% of teams in the NPFL are from south of the River Niger/Benue confluence. If only 25% of top flight teams are northern, that will obviously have a knock on effect in the composition of the national team and the graduation of the small pool of northern players into the national team, versus the much larger pool of southern players.