Is AFCON harder to win compared to the World-cup?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Is AFCON harder to win compared to the World-cup?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I believe the AFCON is harder to win compared to the WC.( yes no CAF team has won the World cup and this is due to low numbers of reps from CAF ) Most CAF teams are very familiar with each other , so it tends to be an even match up vs the top 10 CAF teams per FIFA rankings. However, this current WC has really changed my view on CAF teams especially when it comes to qualifying from our Continent. ( that ish is hard) We saw what Gambia , Comoros, Gabon all did in Cameroon .

Goals didn't come by easily during the AFCON, however CAF teams are scoring for fun in Qatar ( yes we may have all of them getting knocked out in the group stages or vice versa) I must say teams , like Senegal and Morocco are on a different level with the latter yet to lose a WCQ and WC match since the WC2022 series started

Then you have Egypt who to me on current form are on par with Senegal ( they did defeat Morocco in Cameroon )

I am now super excited about CIV 2024 and then the WCQs probably starting summer 2023 ( 9 teams wow)

I actually think the current 5 reps in Qatar will be the envy of the other CAF teams and when they match up against them, oh boy teams are going to bring their A games...

Has our football caught up with Europe? To me, most likely, as far as the Elite teams from CAF.... Hopefully we build up on this and hope to ensure the rest of the world realize that CAF do have at least 8 teams going forward that can win the world-cup sooner than most have expected

however i still don't care about ghana ...they are still a park the bus team mixed with luck
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is AFCON harder to win compared to the World-cup?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Mods, pls roll this mugu’s total posts to 100k, He’s only about 500 posts away, Abeg dash am 500 posts so he’ll stop harassing us with ignorance.
OCCUPY NFF!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Is the wife easier to please than the mother? :shock: :? :?: :?: :?:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

joao wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:01 pm Is the wife easier to please than the mother? :shock: :? :?: :?: :?:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: ghana just pour sand sand for my garri
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: AFCON is harder to win compared to the World-cup

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ye sit is , all you need to win the world cup is luck
Brazil 2002
and just look at the teams Argentina has faced to reach the Q-finals

Saudi, Mexico , Poland , Australia ..

kai and they are playing in the last 8
SuperEagles

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Your argument might at least get off the ground if we didn't have repeat winners of the AFCON like Egypt, Cameroon, Ghana, and Nigeria. The fact that you have such a group of countries, means that the AFCON is certainly not a roll of the dice. That means that the AFCON for decent African teams is more than attainable.

Then there is the second part of your argument, which is the WC. By the results, the WC is not attainable for African teams...

So the argument falls flat. Now if I try to save your argument, perhaps you are suggesting that were an African team very competitive, they would find it easier to win the WC than AFCON?

But even this is a poor argument because I believe that an African team of such calibre would also steam roll African opposition.

As far as the World Cup goes, what tends to happen is that African teams are too one-dimensional. The World Cup is not about being good, it is about being able to be good and adaptive. You have to be able to win high level matches under very dynamic circumstances. What tends to happen is that a good African side, with a narrow tactical vantage can have some success in isolated contexts, but fail at some hurdle along the way. The level of tactical variability in Africa, or at least technical proficiency, is however limited to the point that, you do not need to be as tactically deep. It could very well be that there is increased convergence on the African continent, but this would represent equally narrow teams cancelling each other out (for the most part). The most technically astute teams on the continent would however still edge it out.

So your argument really only has merit in terms of AFCON becoming harder, but unfortunately, that does not translate to African teams being more tactically robust. Could there be some sort of footballing arms race? Perhaps a better argument for you could be that this convergence might have positive effects down the line. But in the immediate term, no, African teams have no real shot at the World Cup, and no, the World Cup appears to be is deceptively 'straightforward' to attain.

It is incredibly complex due to the depth of teams. The World Cup might be an easier task to scale if you were to limit it somehow, lets say geographically for instance.

I think Africa's best bet to somehow close the gap, would be to innovate. You have to introduce a brand of football that surprises the world. I would like to expand on this on another date.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Tbite wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 pm Your argument might at least get off the ground if we didn't have repeat winners of the AFCON like Egypt, Cameroon, Ghana, and Nigeria. The fact that you have such a group of countries, means that the AFCON is certainly not a roll of the dice. That means that the AFCON for decent African teams is more than attainable.

Then there is the second part of your argument, which is the WC. By the results, the WC is not attainable for African teams...

So the argument falls flat. Now if I try to save your argument, perhaps you are suggesting that were an African team very competitive, they would find it easier to win the WC than AFCON?

But even this is a poor argument because I believe that an African team of such calibre would also steam roll African opposition.

As far as the World Cup goes, what tends to happen is that African teams are too one-dimensional. The World Cup is not about being good, it is about being able to be good and adaptive. You have to be able to win high level matches under very dynamic circumstances. What tends to happen is that a good African side, with a narrow tactical vantage can have some success in isolated contexts, but fail at some hurdle along the way. The level of tactical variability in Africa, or at least technical proficiency, is however limited to the point that, you do not need to be as tactically deep. It could very well be that there is increased convergence on the African continent, but this would represent equally narrow teams cancelling each other out (for the most part). The most technically astute teams on the continent would however still edge it out.

So your argument really only has merit in terms of AFCON becoming harder, but unfortunately, that does not translate to African teams being more tactically robust. Could there be some sort of footballing arms race? Perhaps a better argument for you could be that this convergence might have positive effects down the line. But in the immediate term, no, African teams have no real shot at the World Cup, and no, the World Cup appears to be is deceptively 'straightforward' to attain.

It is incredibly complex due to the depth of teams. The World Cup might be an easier task to scale if you were to limit it somehow, lets say geographically for instance.

I think Africa's best bet to somehow close the gap, would be to innovate. You have to introduce a brand of football that surprises the world. I would like to expand on this on another date.
Tbite you are making intellectual argument in a pepper soup joint
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

No fried pork, Afcon is much easier to win
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Do you guys realize that in the current format, a team can win a World Cup by drawing all their 7 games in regular and extra time. Then win on Peñas in the knockout stages?

It’s just riskier to play for a draw at the group stage.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Kabalega wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:46 pm Do you guys realize that in the current format, a team can win a World Cup by drawing all their 7 games in regular and extra time. Then win on Peñas in the knockout stages?

It’s just riskier to play for a draw at the group stage.
yeap just like how Portugal won the Euros..

SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

only Egypt has defeated Morocco
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

joao wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:01 pm Is the wife easier to please than the mother? :shock: :? :?: :?: :?:
as i said AFCON is harder
SuperEagles

Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:25 am Mods, pls roll this mugu’s total posts to 100k, He’s only about 500 posts away, Abeg dash am 500 posts so he’ll stop harassing us with ignorance.
He can finally tell the ladies he’s a 6 figure playa :thumb:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Synopsis wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:39 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:25 am Mods, pls roll this mugu’s total posts to 100k, He’s only about 500 posts away, Abeg dash am 500 posts so he’ll stop harassing us with ignorance.
He can finally tell the ladies he’s a 6 figure playa :thumb:
talk true, how many tribal marks dey your face?
SuperEagles