SE Midfield is now top priority!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: SE Midfield is now top priority!

Post by waka-man »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:06 pm
waka-man wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:28 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:36 pm
waka-man wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:09 pm Our midfield is fine. No great playmaker but not everyone needs a playmaker and in Iwobi and Aribo we have enough forward looking attributes there. Onyedika, Onyeka and Ndidi give you decent ball winning.

Up front we have an embarrassment of riches.

The back four has holes. Bassey is still learning his craft. Aina is ok, as is Zanussi. It’ll be interesting to see where Osayi settles.

But it’s bare.

I’m in a good mood today so I won’t talk about our goal keepers.
Uhmmm there's absolutely everything wrong with that midfield, Ndidi is inconsistent and mostly injured than fit, Onyeka and Aribo are decent but aren't spectacular players, we are one Iwobi injury away from having a midfield collapse especially in creativity...surely any discerning football mind can easily see we need depth and a rebuild in that midfield.
It’s all relative. Compared to our defence and goal keeping departments, we’re fine. In a post about priorities, those other departments come first.
Bros,

The main reason we failed to qualify to the world cup is because we had NO effective midfield! so yes that midfield is the first department that needs very surgical attention.
Ummm….
A decent goal keeper and Ghana gets beat in Nigeria. That’s so much more objectively true than your statement.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dele-Bashiru might be a good addition to the list of probables. He is currently getting good playing time with Watford who are doing well in the English Championship.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:54 pm Dele-Bashiru might be a good addition to the list of probables. He is currently getting good playing time with Watford who are doing well in the English Championship.
You surely know your football, if we hope to play intelligent football going forward in that midfield, we need to start phasing out the Ndidi/Etebo experiment and go for more mobile, technical and fluid players like Dele Bashiru,Yusuf etc, only Iwobi and maybe Aribo can be the foundation of the new midfield generation based on their experience...that's why I have my reservations about dinosaur brains like Peseiro who are unwilling to try new things
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:03 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 am
Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:19 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:26 pm
Enyi wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 am
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:39 pm
lacidi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:10 pm We keep calling our players average. Please tell me the world class midfielders in the Morocco team.
Morocco has better players than us, it's a fact. Amrabat has been huge.They have a world class goalie most importantly while we have 2 baskets.

On the other hand we do have a decent set of players. Our problem is not our quality of players.
The same guy that played for Watford and currently at AEK Athens is better that than SE players?….please pull the other leg

He is having a good tournament - now that makes sense.
What SE will start for Morocco ?

Osimehn 100%
Iwobi Yes

That might be about it

Yes they have better players than us all across the pitch. Most importantly in goal and across the entire backline.
Our entire frontline will start for Morocco plus Iwobi and a back to form Ndidi
Which entire Frontline ?

Moses Simon that can't cross a ball ?

Chukwueze that has been so disappointing?

Ndidi ain't starting over Amrabat bro.
Tell me which Moroccan striker that will start ahead of Moffi, Osimhen, Sadiq, Onuachu, Lookman or Chukwueze? Even Moses Simon has a higher pedigree in Europe than their strikers.
Gone are the days when tournaments like world cup and European championship were used to grade players. Most clubs look at consistency in the player's domestic leagues. We have history of players lightening up such tournaments only to bomb after being signed by clubs.
Our own Oloye referred to it as " tournament form".
Why are you listing 4 players that will play IN THE SAME POSITION ?

Morocco plays 433, Nigeria at their best also plays 433.

Listing 4 strikers is meaningless as only 1 (Osimehn) would start as I have already conceded.

Which leaves us to the 2 wide positions.

I will take both Ziyech and Boufal over chicken head Simon Moses any day of the week.

Lookman and Chukwueze are very inconsistent so far for SE.

Lookman is the most likely to be a starter, but I haven't seen enough from him for SE yet.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:06 pm
Dammy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:03 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 am
Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:19 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:26 pm
Enyi wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 am
vancity eagle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:39 pm

Morocco has better players than us, it's a fact. Amrabat has been huge.They have a world class goalie most importantly while we have 2 baskets.

On the other hand we do have a decent set of players. Our problem is not our quality of players.
The same guy that played for Watford and currently at AEK Athens is better that than SE players?….please pull the other leg

He is having a good tournament - now that makes sense.
What SE will start for Morocco ?

Osimehn 100%
Iwobi Yes

That might be about it

Yes they have better players than us all across the pitch. Most importantly in goal and across the entire backline.
Our entire frontline will start for Morocco plus Iwobi and a back to form Ndidi
Which entire Frontline ?

Moses Simon that can't cross a ball ?

Chukwueze that has been so disappointing?

Ndidi ain't starting over Amrabat bro.
Tell me which Moroccan striker that will start ahead of Moffi, Osimhen, Sadiq, Onuachu, Lookman or Chukwueze? Even Moses Simon has a higher pedigree in Europe than their strikers.
Gone are the days when tournaments like world cup and European championship were used to grade players. Most clubs look at consistency in the player's domestic leagues. We have history of players lightening up such tournaments only to bomb after being signed by clubs.
Our own Oloye referred to it as " tournament form".
Why are you listing 4 players that will play IN THE SAME POSITION ?

Morocco plays 433, Nigeria at their best also plays 433.

Listing 4 strikers is meaningless as only 1 (Osimehn) would start as I have already conceded.

Which leaves us to the 2 wide positions.

I will take both Ziyech and Boufal over chicken head Simon Moses any day of the week.

Lookman and Chukwueze are very inconsistent so far for SE.

Lookman is the most likely to be a starter, but I haven't seen enough from him for SE yet.

How many times do u need to see Lookman fumble to realize his style is not suitable for SE? in a 443 we need a wide forward with ability to play out wide as necessary not a winger who hugs the flanks. Chukwueze and Denis are the 2 best options next to Osihmen in terms of style but one has mental issues and the other has confidence issues. Ejuke is another good option but I still think we need to try him in the AM position as a sub for Iwobi. The bitter truth for us is that we have to take some risks if we want to compete for Afcon and 2026 WC. We can no longer follow”the same script we always have and expect a different result.

We should stick 443 with emphasis on attacking wingbacks and solid MF. I’d love to se Pesseiro try this team.

Osayi- Samuel …….Ndah…….Ndidi……….Sanusi

Onyedika …….Yusuf……

Iwobi

Chukwueze ………..Osihmen………Denis
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dennis has fumbled just as much for SE as Lookman.

Ejuke has also failed to fully take his opportunities after an initial great start.

The truth is that none of Lookman, Dennis , Ejuke have been given ample opportunities with Iwobi running the midfield, so I still have hope for all 3.

Moses Simon cannot be that guy for us. He has failed countless times. All that is in his favor is so called "workrate"

Chukwueze is beginning to be a disappointment, although his showing against Portugal, while not spectacular, was a slight improvement on his usual performance. Given the level of the opposition, hopefully it's a sign of good things to come.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:33 pm Dennis has fumbled just as much for SE as Lookman.

Ejuke has also failed to fully take his opportunities after an initial great start.

The truth is that none of Lookman, Dennis , Ejuke have been given ample opportunities with Iwobi running the midfield, so I still have hope for all 3.

Moses Simon cannot be that guy for us. He has failed countless times. All that is in his favor is so called "workrate"

Chukwueze is beginning to be a disappointment, although his showing against Portugal, while not spectacular, was a slight improvement on his usual performance. Given the level of the opposition, hopefully it's a sign of good things to come.
The, if none of our skilful wingers/forwards will do, we should consider a real worker like Peter Olayinka on the flanks. He'll running all day, defend and play hard for the team . That's a lot more than we've been getting.
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:54 pm Dele-Bashiru might be a good addition to the list of probables. He is currently getting good playing time with Watford who are doing well in the English Championship.
He’s played the last two games but to be fair was mostly riding pine with a few late appearances before that. Way too soon to be calling for him but I agree “might be a good addition to the list of probables”. Anything else right now would be way to premature.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

waka-man wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:37 am
He’s played the last two games but to be fair was mostly riding pine with a few late appearances before that. Way too soon to be calling for him but I agree “might be a good addition to the list of probables”. Anything else right now would be way to premature.
https://www.watfordfc.com/news/bilic-on ... o-maturely
Bilić On Dele-Bashiru: “He Played So Maturely”

Date: 12/12/2022

Watford Head Coach Slaven Bilić reserved special praise for Tom Dele-Bashiru, as the midfielder made his first start this season in the Hornets’ 0-0 draw with Hull City on Sunday afternoon (December 11).

Dele-Bashiru’s last league start was back in April on loan at Reading, having not been named in the Watford starting XI since October 2020 due to knee injuries.

The 23-year-old has spent the World Cup break in full training with the group and making a positive impression on Bilić, who spoke in length to Dele-Bashiru about seizing the opportunity against the Tigers.

“When I arrived Tom didn’t play,” Bilić explained. “He was injured and played at Reading last season on loan. When he came back from injury we had a talk and he started to improve in training; it was like a pre-season for him.

“I told him, ‘you are there. Because of the situation in midfield you are definitely going to get a chance. Be ready for that’.

Dele-Bashiru put in a committed display at Vicarage Road, as Bilić effused about the former Nigeria youth international’s performance.

“I didn’t have any fear to put him in from the start because I saw him do well in training,” continued the Croatian.

“The way he played, for a player that hasn’t played this season, he played so maturely, with quality, passing forwards and keeping his position with good touches and intention, and on the front foot. It was a very, very good performance so well done to him.”
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Lolly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Watford Head Coach Slaven Bilić reserved special praise for Tom Dele-Bashiru, as the midfielder made his first start this season in the Hornets’ 0-0 draw with Hull City on Sunday afternoon (December 11).

Dele-Bashiru’s last league start was back in April on loan at Reading, having not been named in the Watford starting XI since October 2020 due to knee injuries.

The 23-year-old has spent the World Cup break in full training with the group and making a positive impression on Bilić, who spoke in length to Dele-Bashiru about seizing the opportunity against the Tigers.

“When I arrived Tom didn’t play,” Bilić explained. “He was injured and played at Reading last season on loan. When he came back from injury we had a talk and he started to improve in training; it was like a pre-season for him.

“I told him, ‘you are there. Because of the situation in midfield you are definitely going to get a chance. Be ready for that’.

Dele-Bashiru put in a committed display at Vicarage Road, as Bilić effused about the former Nigeria youth international’s performance.

“I didn’t have any fear to put him in from the start because I saw him do well in training,” continued the Croatian.

“The way he played, for a player that hasn’t played this season, he played so maturely, with quality, passing forwards and keeping his position with good touches and intention, and on the front foot. It was a very, very good performance so well done to him.”
Yeah he was over those injuries early this season and indeed was frequently late or unused substitute.

Bilic might be a good mama get for him and now he’s broken into the team I hope we have the chance to see what he can do.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

waka-man wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:43 pm
Lolly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Yeah he was over those injuries early this season and indeed was frequently late or unused substitute.

Bilic might be a good mama get for him and now he’s broken into the team I hope we have the chance to see what he can do.
:roll: