Food for thought!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Food for thought!

Post by wanaj0 »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:53 am Whoever made this stupid argument that not capping foreign born players and relying on local players will bring success is a total dufuss.

As stated, Morocco has oneof the best leagues in Africa and have even won CHAN, yet almost entirely foreign born players are bringing them success.

The coach was even in charge of a CAF champions league winning team, yet he isn't filling the squad with those players like we know our corrupt Nigerian coaches would absolutely be doing.

Remember this coach was hired TO BRING ZIYECH BACK INTO THE TEAM

Meanwhile clowns like Oliseh dropped Mikel for Paul Onobi and we failed to qualify for AFCON as a result.

You win with the best players PERIOD.

In the Keshi era they told us it was about "who fit his system" just a euphemism for corruption.

To compete with the best you have to have the best possible.

We saw how a depleted Senegal failed spectacularly against England.

None of this means we cannot improve the leagues etc, but when you hear clowns like Amokachi blaming foreign born players for our failure, and other clowns talking about putting an end to foreign born players, you realize what a complete utter joke Nigeria is.
That Keshi era gave you the TROPHY and 2nd round of the WC. I love that 'corruption' compared of the 'corruption' of the journey man taking us to go and learn (euphemism for excursion/sight seeing) at the WC.

Keshi's achievement will continue to pain you.

Sunday Mba's goal will be in the record FOREVER. Nothing you can do against it.

When you have people like you supporting another country against Nigeria then we know the kind of person that you are. When you start to wish death on others just for deciding to SERVE the country you realize what a complete utter joke you and your ilk are
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Lolly wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:04 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:04 am What amazes me is this continued focus on discovering one thing that leads to success. The answer: THERRE IS NONE. In all human activities, there are several variables ALWAYS in play. Morocco's success is not based on using foreign-born players neither will they win the WC by using only home-based players. The answer is far more complex and requiring multiple variables. This search for a single answer is a search in futility. Moreover, there is NEVER a single answer to success. When we understand all this then we are well on the way to locating solutions than futile attempts at quick and simplistic answers to a problem.

I applaud the tweet but I wish posters can read it with deep thought especially the very last statement in that tweet.
The tweet is valid and good for further discussion.

Many Nigerians who follow football including many here on CE strongly believe that our “preference” or love for foreign-born players has contributed to our recent decline. I disagree.

You have said above that there are several variables. But some variables are more important that the others. The quality of the players is always the starting point, whether local, foreign or moon born. This is where the SE is lacking. While we have been lucky to find quality attacking players, we have not been able to do the same for defensive (including goalkeepers) and midfield players. The best foreign-born Nigerians have chosen their country of birth ahead of us and we’ve been left with those not good enough to play for their country of birth.

We really need to do better with our scouting. A good coach would find players who suit his philosophy and style of play and then build a team. Not the lazy and olodo coaches we have recently who just pick players from Euro leagues and just plug them into holes on the field. Ko le work.
Why not give everyone equal opportunity? Why must there be a PREFERENCE?

Why not develop your leagues?

Why run after those not GOOD enough for your rivals?

Why not go for the 'BEST' recognizing the concept of TEAM?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

wanaj0 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm That Keshi era gave you the TROPHY and 2nd round of the WC. I love that 'corruption' compared of the 'corruption' of the journey man taking us to go and learn (euphemism for excursion/sight seeing) at the WC.

When you have people like you supporting another country against Nigeria then we know the kind of person that you are. When you start to wish death on others just for deciding to SERVE the country you realize what a complete utter joke you and your ilk are
Did you say PAIN.

As we dey PAIN him,

E dey sweet us!

As we dey Sweet us

E dey PAIN him.

Shame
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

fabio wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:35 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:23 pm That Keshi era gave you the TROPHY and 2nd round of the WC. I love that 'corruption' compared of the 'corruption' of the journey man taking us to go and learn (euphemism for excursion/sight seeing) at the WC.

Did you say PAIN.

As we dey PAIN him,

E dey sweet us!

As we dey Sweet us

E dey PAIN him.

Shame

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wanaj0 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:42 pm

Did you say PAIN.

As we dey PAIN him,

E dey sweet us!

As we dey Sweet us

E dey PAIN him.

Shame

Wanasj0

Which kin ting be dis now?????
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:30 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:42 pm

Did you say PAIN.

As we dey PAIN him,

E dey sweet us!

As we dey Sweet us

E dey PAIN him.

Shame

Wanasj0

Which kin ting be dis now?????
the ting, be like this...

Keshi pepper them oooo

With your (Keshi) AfCon Cup and WC 2nd round

pepper them oooo

By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Perhaps if the 'playing fields' were level for both the HB and FB.
But the reality is that is not the case, as our HB players are many steps behind in the key areas (football intelligence, strategy execution, training, nutrition, etc.). Trying to force the issue will end up being detrimental to the overall objective.
Synopsis wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:15 am We can use both methods.
Even if they are poached when in the lower leagues, it would not make a difference - the kids will still end up playing for whichever country they feel most comfortable with.
Nigeria needs to have a stronger scouting program (not Pinnick going to do photo ops with the players, and then bragging about it) and have serious and consistent conversations with the kids. Make them feel wanted. That is the key issue here.
Synopsis wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:15 am Also, we need to start bringing foreign born Nigerians into the system when they are teenagers in lower leagues instead of waiting until they are established in big leagues and potentially fighting with countries such as England.
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:25 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:04 pm We really need to do better with our scouting. A good coach would find players who suit his philosophy and style of play and then build a team. Not the lazy and olodo coaches we have recently who just pick players from Euro leagues and just plug them into holes on the field. Ko le work.
You can only find resources where they exist.
Put the world's greatest living coach in India or China and let us see how 'good' the players he finds will be.

Moreover, if you think it is realistic and/or feasible for a national coach to start dredging in the nooks and crannies of Nigerian football then you can't be serious.
What is the pyramid of local coaches doing if they can't spot a raw talent and get him playing at increasingly visible levels for someone to spot?
And even if they do, what chance has he of contributing meaningfully to the squad when he comes face to face with Messi, Ronaldo, Hakimi, Sallah, Mane, Mbappe, Jesus, De Bryne, Saka and Kane?

Are we joking here or are we being serious?
Na beans? :rotf:
The coaches of Saudi Arabia, Japan and Morocco are examples of coaches that did it. And the coach can even select from a small pool of players. It is just important to choose the right players to suit your philosophy, not just every “star” player out there.

This is where recent Nigerian coaches have been lazy and incompetent. I look at some of the squad selections and I can tell some of those players won’t do well in the position they want them to play but hey, they play in the EPL, so we must play them. Heck, one of the Moroccan players is based in Qatar.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:19 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:04 pm We really need to do better with our scouting. A good coach would find players who suit his philosophy and style of play and then build a team. Not the lazy and olodo coaches we have recently who just pick players from Euro leagues and just plug them into holes on the field. Ko le work.
Put the world's greatest living coach in India or China and let us see how 'good' the players he finds will be.

Moreover, if you think it is realistic and/or feasible for a national coach to start dredging in the nooks and crannies of Nigerian football then you can't be serious.
What is the pyramid of local coaches doing if they can't spot a raw talent and get him playing at increasingly visible levels for someone to spot?
And even if they do, what chance has he of contributing meaningfully to the squad when he comes face to face with Messi, Ronaldo, Hakimi, Sallah, Mane, Mbappe, Jesus, De Bryne, Saka and Kane?

The coaches of Saudi Arabia, Japan and Morocco are examples of coaches that did it. And the coach can even select from a small pool of players. It is just important to choose the right players to suit your philosophy, not just every “star” player out there.

This is where recent Nigerian coaches have been lazy and incompetent. I look at some of the squad selections and I can tell some of those players won’t do well in the position they want them to play but hey, they play in the EPL, so we must play them. Heck, one of the Moroccan players is based in Qatar.
So Saudi’s achievement in 2022 is what we aspire to?
My apologies.
I thought we were hoping to rub shoulders with the Big Boyz. :atc: :atc:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

wanaj0 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:29 pm
Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:04 am What amazes me is this continued focus on discovering one thing that leads to success. The answer: THERRE IS NONE. In all human activities, there are several variables ALWAYS in play. Morocco's success is not based on using foreign-born players neither will they win the WC by using only home-based players. The answer is far more complex and requiring multiple variables. This search for a single answer is a search in futility. Moreover, there is NEVER a single answer to success. When we understand all this then we are well on the way to locating solutions than futile attempts at quick and simplistic answers to a problem.

I applaud the tweet but I wish posters can read it with deep thought especially the very last statement in that tweet.

Many Nigerians who follow football including many here on CE strongly believe that our “preference” or love for foreign-born players has contributed to our recent decline. I disagree.

You have said above that there are several variables. But some variables are more important that the others. The quality of the players is always the starting point, whether local, foreign or moon born. This is where the SE is lacking. While we have been lucky to find quality attacking players, we have not been able to do the same for defensive (including goalkeepers) and midfield players. The best foreign-born Nigerians have chosen their country of birth ahead of us and we’ve been left with those not good enough to play for their country of birth.

We really need to do better with our scouting. A good coach would find players who suit his philosophy and style of play and then build a team. Not the lazy and olodo coaches we have recently who just pick players from Euro leagues and just plug them into holes on the field. Ko le work.

Every Nigerian footballer is available for selection and good home based players has been given opportunity over the years but the coaches have found their foreign based counterparts better options. The truth is our best players are not in the NPL. Same with Brazil, Argentina, Morocco, Senegal and others. It is what it is.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'm hoping our youth teams do well, there are some serious ballers in the U17 and U20 teams...
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Lolly wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:44 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:29 pm

Every Nigerian footballer is available for selection and good home based players has been given opportunity over the years but the coaches have found their foreign based counterparts better options. The truth is our best players are not in the NPL. Same with Brazil, Argentina, Morocco, Senegal and others. It is what it is.
If only this was true. Keshi was the last coach that tried to give the home based a fair chance and we saw them DELIVER at the AFCON.

Other coaches don't even bother to watch the league. The players have concluded that they have no chance of playing for the NT except they move abroad.

Just give people a chance and don't use where they play as the basis of selection.

Yes our best players may not be in the NPL but you are building a TEAM and there are so many things that come to play. In 2013 our best players were not in the NPL yet we had players who could help the cause of the team playing in that same NPL. They brought the element of surprise to the team.

So again, give every Nigerian a fair chance! Both as a player and as a coach. Our scouting network should not discriminated against anyone.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

have yall noticed those who have issues with home based players are mostly those in the west, like damunk kongi, and VE..hmm is there a hidden reason? as my good friend odas would say. " only time will tell"
SuperEagles

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:44 am have yall noticed those who have issues with home based players are mostly those in the west, like damunk kongi, and VE..hmm is there a hidden reason? as my good friend odas would say. " only time will tell"
Of course there is a reason. Your ear block? :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:09 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:44 am have yall noticed those who have issues with home based players are mostly those in the west, like damunk kongi, and VE..hmm is there a hidden reason? as my good friend odas would say. " only time will tell"
Of course there is a reason. Your ear block? :rotf:
You know you can learn how to Express your emotions without being disrespectful? Focus
SuperEagles

Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:25 pm

My apologies.
They’ve done something we’ve not been able to do, beat Argentina in a World Cup match. And they don’t have world beaters or world class footballers like we claim to have hence they overachieved.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:51 pm

My apologies.
They’ve done something we’ve not been able to do, beat Argentina in a World Cup match. And they don’t have world beaters or world class footballers like we claim to have hence they overachieved.
Saudi Arabia beating Argentina is a big deal. I will hire a coach who qualifies Sao Tome or Eritrea to the AFCON before hiring one that takes Ivory Coast to a third place at the AFCON. It is also about what a manager achieves with level of talent at his/her disposal.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Lolly wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:51 pm

My apologies.
Saudi Arabia beating Argentina is a big deal. I will hire a coach who qualifies Sao Tome or Eritrea to the AFCON before hiring one that takes Ivory Coast to a third place at the AFCON. It is also about what a manager achieves with level of talent at his/her disposal.