Balogun's interview on DNQ

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Otitokoro
Egg
Egg
Re: Balogun's interview on DNQ

Post by Otitokoro »

Again, Prof, history would suggest that home and home series against GHANA have been less than favorable to Nigeria, especially IF all the marbles are at stake.
Also, most teams would prefer a one-off game at a NEUTRAL venue, as opposed to a home and home series. That actually makes more sense, as it is less taxing on the players and removes any element of potential horseplay. I do struggle with your last paragraph, because such a one-off game would not take place in either one of the two countries involved, especially if both are vying for the same prized WC slot.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:21 pm Otitokoro,

I wont argue that playing against Ghana or any other team isn't difficult even at home. Not at all. It is not like playing Chad or Liberia at home. However, if you look at our historical records, we have a greater probability of beating Ghana in Nigeria at home. That is undeniable. It is based on that statistic that it should not be surprising that one would expect to have the upper hand at home against Ghana. That upper hand is assured by earning a draw away. Unfortunately, the subsequent result proved that the draw was not enough.

It is important not to simply focused on the eventual result but to put yourself in a situation where you have a two-legged affair and you end up getting a draw away. There is a reason why teams not only seek a two-leg encounter but want the second of that leg AT HOME. If home did not matter, why would or do teams seek for that second leg to be at their home? Is it all meaningless?

Think of this, if Nigeria had to play Ghana in one game to qualify in a competition, would it matter to you if that game is scheduled to take place in Kumasi or not? If you state that it does not matter then you are correct but be sure to hold on to such a position when the next fixtures come up.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:40 am The thing is the boys got the result they got in Accra, I would think the coach saying they are 70% there was just trying to psyche up the players. The real issue here is the absolute gift we gave them at home, that’s why didn’t qualify, nothing else. You can’t go anywhere with your last line of defense dashing goals anyhow. Until we improve that part of our team things go hard o…
All that needs to be said tbh. Worse was the Ghanaian keeper playing at a very low level outplaying Uzoho.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I had to put myself through the unbearable torture of watching the entire game of that first leg in Kumasi, and my highlight of that match (which was my actual reason for bothering myself to watch that game again) was the part when SIMON MOSES missed a 1v1 chance against the Ghanaian GK, guys that goal scoring opportunity was easier to score than to miss...yet this midget clown fluffed his line, that spurned opportunity turned out to be the best chance of either team to score in both legs...I paused and replayed the minutes and sequence of that chance Moses missed like 4 times and just shut down my browser in exasperation, maybe IF Simon had scored that goal in Kumasi, we would have gotten all the momentum we needed in the return leg against a rather poor Ghanaianteam...Simon Moses is one utterly brainless player tbh, definitely the first name om my list of deadweights that need to be weeded out this team.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

airwolex wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:45 am
maceo4 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:40 am The thing is the boys got the result they got in Accra, I would think the coach saying they are 70% there was just trying to psyche up the players. The real issue here is the absolute gift we gave them at home, that’s why didn’t qualify, nothing else. You can’t go anywhere with your last line of defense dashing goals anyhow. Until we improve that part of our team things go hard o…
All that needs to be said tbh. Worse was the Ghanaian keeper playing at a very low level outplaying Uzoho.
That was not even the keeper they carry go WC. Uzoho wet get WC experience was flailing at a weak shot.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:35 am Again, Prof, history would suggest that home and home series against GHANA have been less than favorable to Nigeria, especially IF all the marbles are at stake.
Also, most teams would prefer a one-off game at a NEUTRAL venue, as opposed to a home and home series. That actually makes more sense, as it is less taxing on the players and removes any element of potential horseplay. I do struggle with your last paragraph, because such a one-off game would not take place in either one of the two countries involved, especially if both are vying for the same prized WC slot.
Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:21 pm Otitokoro,

I wont argue that playing against Ghana or any other team isn't difficult even at home. Not at all. It is not like playing Chad or Liberia at home. However, if you look at our historical records, we have a greater probability of beating Ghana in Nigeria at home. That is undeniable. It is based on that statistic that it should not be surprising that one would expect to have the upper hand at home against Ghana. That upper hand is assured by earning a draw away. Unfortunately, the subsequent result proved that the draw was not enough.

It is important not to simply focused on the eventual result but to put yourself in a situation where you have a two-legged affair and you end up getting a draw away. There is a reason why teams not only seek a two-leg encounter but want the second of that leg AT HOME. If home did not matter, why would or do teams seek for that second leg to be at their home? Is it all meaningless?

Think of this, if Nigeria had to play Ghana in one game to qualify in a competition, would it matter to you if that game is scheduled to take place in Kumasi or not? If you state that it does not matter then you are correct but be sure to hold on to such a position when the next fixtures come up.
Otitokoro

There goes the point, if there is no more home advantage why would you then bother if a one-off game was to be played in Kumasi between Nigeria and Ghana? Why? The real reason is that Ghama will have a home advantage. That is exactly the point. Same applies to having such a game in Nigeria. That does not deny that it would still be a tough game given the opponent but a home advantage should never be discounted. It is important, even if the margin is meager or slight.

I am really amazed at the arguments. This is not even an issue in any doubt. It is widely evident in club football and national team records all over the world. The fact that this is even an issue to debate on CE is truly absurd. I have posted a study by a researcher who worked on this. The thread is still on CE Frontpage, if you and others are interested but a homefield advantage is important and that is why no one will want a one-off game between Nigeria and Ghana played in Kumasi.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

packerland wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:15 pm
airwolex wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:45 am
That was not even the keeper they carry go WC. Uzoho wet get WC experience was flailing at a weak shot.
I really miss Enyeama honestly, we've never had it this bad when it comes to GKs