Balogun's interview on DNQ

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Balogun's interview on DNQ

Post by Dammy »

'Until this day I don't understand' - Balogun details why Nigeria missed out on World Cup
Published: December 07, 2022
'Until this day I don't understand' - Balogun details why Nigeria missed out on World Cup
Queens Park Rangers defender Leon Balogun has explained what went wrong in Nigeria's bid to qualify for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Nigeria lost out on a place in the World Cup to the Black Stars of Ghana on the away goal rule after a scoreless first leg tie in Kumasi and 1-1 draw at the Moshood Abiola Stadium, Abuja back in March, with Balogun going the distance in both games.

Gernot Rohr was sacked by the Amaju Pinnick led Nigeria Football Federation and replaced on interim basis by former international Austin Eguavoen but the Tunisia '94 Africa Cup of Nations winner could not steer the three-time African champions to a seventh World Cup appearance.

In the second leg, a shot from Arsenal's Ghana captain Thomas Partey squirmed under the body of Francis Uzoho and went into the net but William Troost-Ekong equalised midway through the first half when he converted a penalty.

Balogun highlighted that the Super Eagles' failure to score a crucial away goal in Kumasi was their downfall and wondered why FIFA didn't abolish the away goal rule for the World Cup playoffs.

Speaking on The Beautiful Game Podcast, Balogun said : "It's the first leg, we did not score, that would have changed the whole picture probably.

"It's a bit funny because that season the away goal rule was scrapped everywhere. I don't know why they didn't do it in Africa. I have no clue, until this day I don't understand.

"We did go to Ghana to play that first leg and it was a tough game. There was this whole fuss about them changing the stadium last minute where they've never lost, and they said whether juju may or may not have been involved

"It was really, really tough and we ended up playing 0-0. I remember we had a meeting one or two days after and one of the staff said we're 70 percent through and I thought to myself that can't be right.

"We played a goalless draw away from home, if that's helpful to anyone then it's Ghana. We said we have to just pour our hearts out for that game."

Balogun admitted that the fans showed overwhelming support for the national team which made the 1-1 draw a bitter pill to swallow.

"Driving to the stadium on that day I was holding back tears because I was touched by the support. I've played with great support, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to any other place we've played with the national team before but Abuja that day was packed.

"I saw little boys, girls, families, elders, everybody rooting for us. The stadium was packed, it was unreal and I said to myself just for them we have to make it.

"Obviously it was heartbreaking when we conceded that first goal, it was a tough one to take, came back with a penalty, we couldn't just break them down.

"We had a few chances but nothing really that got to shock them. In the end you have to say Ghana probably deserved it because we came hard for them.

"Second half they changed their shape and that was pretty much what took a bit of the wind out of us".

Balogun went the full ninety in all the matches played by the Super Eagles at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Copyright ANS

'
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Balogun's interview on DNQ

Post by Dammy »

E11, from the highlighted comments, you see how naive our local coaches are!
When some of us told you that a goalless draw in Kumasi was not good for the SE, you were arguing in the opposite direction!
I am happy
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Ghana were terrible in that match in Kumasi! We should have beaten them there! well, it is over but it still hurts. Africa not having Nigeria and Nigerians in Qatar was very sad! It should never ever happen again!!!!!!!!!!!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:56 pm E11, from the highlighted comments, you see how naive our local coaches are!
When some of us told you that a goalless draw in Kumasi was not good for the SE, you were arguing in the opposite direction!
Same thing Siasia did when we missed out of AFCON in 2012! ...But a lot of people were also saying it on this site.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

gochino wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:58 pm
Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:56 pm E11, from the highlighted comments, you see how naive our local coaches are!
Same thing Siasia did when we missed out of AFCON in 2012! ...But a lot of people were also saying it on this site.
Can't people be reasonable and be informed? These coaches- Siasia and Eguaveon were hired when we were already in qualifications. They were never given the hand to start from beginning, that is prior to qualifications.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

highbury wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:33 pm
Can't people be reasonable and be informed? These coaches- Siasia and Eguaveon were hired when we were already in qualifications. They were never given the hand to start from beginning, that is prior to qualifications.
Eguavoen had more matches (4 afcon 1 friendly) than Rohr had before he started his WCQ in 2018 (1 ancq against Tanzania)

And more importantly matches than Otto Addo who didn't even have one match with his team before he bested an Eguavoen led SE.

Stop running cover for these abject failures.
Last edited by vancity eagle on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy,

TBH, Balogun comes with that Euro mindset on this. Clearly, 0-0 away is better than 0-1 away, and 1-1 away is better than 0-0 away, and 2-2 away is better than 1-1 away etc. That should not be disputable whether away goals are doubled or not. Why? Because, Nigeria historically has a goods record at home until lately. Historically, there are huge home advantages. All you need to do is check out the history of Nigeria's results. Here is what it will tell you -- Nigeria has won approximately 60% of games played at home while slightly above 20% away from home (review records in RSSSF site). That difference is significant. However, I will agree with you that lately, that advantage has been significantly nullified with Nigeria collapsing at home. Whether that is due to the mindset of current crop of players, lack of fan interest, or poor coaching I do not know. However, these same stats remain stable for a lot of the North African teams. Now, bear in mind that we are focusing on results produced by African NTs and not results produced in the ECL etc. Thus, I can understand the belief that Nigeria earning any draw away from home should reasonably expect to win the reverse fixture at home given the mindset of the manager, players, and the relevant home support; a situation that we find STILL COMMON in North Africa. The question is why is it now different for Nigeria?
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:08 pm
Dammy,

TBH, Balogun comes with that Euro mindset on this. Historically, there are huge home advantages. All you need to do is check out the history of Nigeria's results. Here is what it will tell you -- Nigeria has won approximately 60% of games played at home while slightly above 20% away from home (review records in RSSSF site). That difference is significant. However, I will agree with you that lately, that advantage has been significantly nullified with Nigeria collapsing at home. Whether that is due to the mindset of current crop of players, lack of fan interest, or poor coaching I do not know. However, these same stats remain stable for a lot of the North African teams. Now, bear in mind that we are focusing on results produced by African NTs and not results produced in the ECL etc. Thus, I can understand the belief that Nigeria earning any draw away from home should reasonably expect to win the reverse fixture at home given the mindset of the manager, players, and the relevant home support; a situation that we find STILL COMMON in North Africa. The question is why is it now different for Nigeria?
Ghana vs Nigeria is a heated derby match with a long history.

0-0 away was NEVER a good result. Do you forget our record against Tunisia in 2010 ?

In fact 2-2 or even 1-1 could be described as such, but never 0-0.

Balogun was right, and the clowns running our football were wrong.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Siasia issue (v Guinea) was drastically different. Siasia depended on the result of a live ongoing match elsewhere. Given expectations, he needed to win at home in Nigeria. However, as the match went on it became clear that Nigeria did not need to do that but Siasia was not duly informed. That is by far different from the case brought forward by Dammy.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 pm
Dammy,

TBH, Balogun comes with that Euro mindset on this. Historically, there are huge home advantages. All you need to do is check out the history of Nigeria's results. Here is what it will tell you -- Nigeria has won approximately 60% of games played at home while slightly above 20% away from home (review records in RSSSF site). That difference is significant. However, I will agree with you that lately, that advantage has been significantly nullified with Nigeria collapsing at home. Whether that is due to the mindset of current crop of players, lack of fan interest, or poor coaching I do not know. However, these same stats remain stable for a lot of the North African teams. Now, bear in mind that we are focusing on results produced by African NTs and not results produced in the ECL etc. Thus, I can understand the belief that Nigeria earning any draw away from home should reasonably expect to win the reverse fixture at home given the mindset of the manager, players, and the relevant home support; a situation that we find STILL COMMON in North Africa. The question is why is it now different for Nigeria?

0-0 away was NEVER a good result. Do you forget our record against Tunisia in 2010 ?

VE,

That history should have led you to note that earning a draw in Kumasi was a big deal. All you have to do is check the historical records. While these games have been historically tough going, earning a draw in Ghana is always always a good start for Nigeria. Yep, it guarantees nothing as the game in Nigeria proved but it often is a better position to start with. Note that under Amodu, Nigeria went to Ghana and drew 0-0 in a World Cup qualifier leading to home and in Nigeria that hope was realized with a 3-0 whitewash of Ghana. That is what the home advantage expectations are about but the reality is that no one is God to predict the actual outcome.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:22 pm
Dammy,

VE,

That history should have led you to note that earning a draw in Kumasi was a big deal. All you have to do is check the historical records. While these games have been historically tough going, earning a draw in Ghana is always always a good start for Nigeria. Yep, it guarantees nothing as the game in Nigeria proved but it often is a better position to start with. Note that under Amodu, Nigeria went to Ghana and drew 0-0 in a World Cup qualifier leading to home and in Nigeria that hope was realized with a 3-0 whitewash of Ghana. That is what the home advantage expectations are about but the reality is that no one is God to predict the actual outcome.
E11, you are comparing a WCQ series based on a league format with one based on a knockout format!
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:44 pm
Dammy,

VE,

E11, you are comparing a WCQ series based on a league format with one based on a knockout format!
Sure the format was different but there are numerous examples of Nigeria's home and away records. Until recently, Nigeria had a tremendous record at home to warrant optimism. Have you forgotten how our home games had been seen as given. What I will agree, however, is that has not been the case most recently even against the weaker opponents such as CAR, CPV, or S/Leone. That much is true.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

I said from the start that the away goal rule will bite us in the a$$ and it did! Smh waste of 4 years.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The thing is the boys got the result they got in Accra, I would think the coach saying they are 70% there was just trying to psyche up the players. The real issue here is the absolute gift we gave them at home, that’s why didn’t qualify, nothing else. You can’t go anywhere with your last line of defense dashing goals anyhow. Until we improve that part of our team things go hard o…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

why are yall still losing Sleep over a filed Wcp place? The current one is about to end. The next qualifiers will begin next year, why don't yall channel una mind there ,instead of stressing over a failed campaign.

The first games of the qualifiers will be played in March 2023, starting in South America ..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:40 am
Dammy,

VE,

Sure the format was different but there are numerous examples of Nigeria's home and away records. Until recently, Nigeria had a tremendous record at home to warrant optimism. Have you forgotten how our home games had been seen as given. What I will agree, however, is that has not been the case most recently even against the weaker opponents such as CAR, CPV, or S/Leone. That much is true.
That exactly was the main reason why a 0-0 draw in Kumasi was bad news!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

gochino wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:54 am
Dammy,

VE,

Thanks bro, E11 keeps tying himself in knots but he doesn't seem to realise it!
I am happy
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Wow, Prof.
Apples and oranges.
The return leg vs. Ghana you are referencing was when Ghana was out of WC qualification contention - they had nothing to play for. They brought a B side which we beat. The difference between this match and that one is like night and day.

Just admit it Prof - Balogun is right and it has nothing to do with a non-Nigerian mindset. Afterall, there were quite a few of us that raised alarm bells when we drew 0-0 in Kumasi and we paid for it!

Nigerians are very poor students of history, because in games vs. Ghana when everything was on the line, home advantage has never been a factor - and this is going as far back to the mid-70s! So, referring to 'home advantage expectations' is a very poor excuse, especially when it pertains to Ghana vs Nigeria.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:22 pm VE,

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

How were you able to determine that the STAFF he mentioned was a COACH? Are all the STAFF coaches?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

maceo4 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:40 am The thing is the boys got the result they got in Accra, I would think the coach saying they are 70% there was just trying to psyche up the players. The real issue here is the absolute gift we gave them at home, that’s why didn’t qualify, nothing else. You can’t go anywhere with your last line of defense dashing goals anyhow. Until we improve that part of our team things go hard o…
Thank you!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:55 pm Wow, Prof.
Apples and oranges.
The return leg vs. Ghana you are referencing was when Ghana was out of WC qualification contention - they had nothing to play for. They brought a B side which we beat. The difference between this match and that one is like night and day.

Just admit it Prof - Balogun is right and it has nothing to do with a non-Nigerian mindset. Afterall, there were quite a few of us that raised alarm bells when we drew 0-0 in Kumasi and we paid for it!

Nigerians are very poor students of history, because in games vs. Ghana when everything was on the line, home advantage has never been a factor - and this is going as far back to the mid-70s! So, referring to 'home advantage expectations' is a very poor excuse, especially when it pertains to Ghana vs Nigeria.
Enugu II wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:22 pm VE,

Otitokoro,

I wont argue that playing against Ghana or any other team isn't difficult even at home. Not at all. It is not like playing Chad or Liberia at home. However, if you look at our historical records, we have a greater probability of beating Ghana in Nigeria at home. That is undeniable. It is based on that statistic that it should not be surprising that one would expect to have the upper hand at home against Ghana. That upper hand is assured by earning a draw away. Unfortunately, the subsequent result proved that the draw was not enough.

It is important not to simply focused on the eventual result but to put yourself in a situation where you have a two-legged affair and you end up getting a draw away. There is a reason why teams not only seek a two-leg encounter but want the second of that leg AT HOME. If home did not matter, why would or do teams seek for that second leg to be at their home? Is it all meaningless?

Think of this, if Nigeria had to play Ghana in one game to qualify in a competition, would it matter to you if that game is scheduled to take place in Kumasi or not? If you state that it does not matter then you are correct but be sure to hold on to such a position when the next fixtures come up.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:31 pm

Dammy,

VE,

Dammy,

You really make me roll in laufghter sometimes.

Obviously, you could not figure why I mentioned while I may agree for just that period of time? Note the games in question and ask how the team was performing? LOL. Hope you are able to figure that out.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:29 pm
Dammy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:31 pm

VE,

Dammy,

You really make me roll in laufghter sometimes.

Obviously, you could not figure why I mentioned while I may agree for just that period of time? Note the games in question and ask how the team was performing? LOL. Hope you are able to figure that out.
Yeah bro, keep laughing and digging! :lol: :lol:
I am happy