SE's biggest Rivals in Africa

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
SE's biggest Rivals in Africa

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I know it is that little country which is two countries to the west and also the neighbor to the east.
Now we've played Algeria in 2 AFCON finals.. Now my question to CE, is Algeria or Egypt our biggest North African rival?

I am thinking Algeria
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE's biggest Rivals in Africa

Post by jette1 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:22 am I know it is that little country which is two countries to the west and also the neighbor to the east.
Now we've played Algeria in 2 AFCON finals.. Now my question to CE, is Algeria or Egypt our biggest North African rival?

I am thinking Algeria
You would have been borrowing ink everyday
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Nigeria’s biggest rivals in Africa is Cameroon we played them in 3 nations cup finals and lost 1984, 1990,& 2000.

We have never played Ghana in any finals and they were winning Afcon when most countries were not independent in the 50s.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Flex Swift wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:33 am Nigeria’s biggest rivals in Africa is Cameroon we played them in 3 nations cup finals and lost 1984, 1990,& 2000.

We have never played Ghana in any finals and they were winning Afcon when most countries were not independent in the 50s.
If ghana isn't our rival, why they heck when ever we play them , all the hair for dem body dey stand.
SuperEagles

kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:24 pm
If ghana isn't our rival, why they heck when ever we play them , all the hair for dem body dey stand.
Because Ghana as a nation is brotherly rivals with Nigeria (similar to Usa & Canada). The two are general rivals. So we may see that rivalry transferred onto the pitch. (Ps, I'd say Usa and Mexico are football rivals).

But if you nuance this in football... It'll be Cameroon.
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Our biggest rival should be Cameroon based on actual footballing matters, but Ghana is considered our biggest rival simply because of non footballing matters.

If you ask most people on ce they will say Ghana, but I believe it is Cameroon.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Rivalries in football are not only based on sporting factors but social and cultural factors. So for that reason Ghana and Cameroon are our major rivals.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tbite wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:51 am Our biggest rival should be Cameroon based on actual footballing matters, but Ghana is considered our biggest rival simply because of non footballing matters.

Tbite

On footballing matters ALONE, Ghana should be our biggest rival way above Cameroon. We have met Ghana more times, we are in the same competitive zone. These are based on actual records that go as far back as the 1950s and continue even now.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:34 pm
Tbite wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:51 am Our biggest rival should be Cameroon based on actual footballing matters, but Ghana is considered our biggest rival simply because of non footballing matters.

Tbite

On footballing matters ALONE, Ghana should be our biggest rival way above Cameroon. We have met Ghana more times, we are in the same competitive zone. These are based on actual records that go as far back as the 1950s and continue even now.
Football rivalry changes over time. Ghana was once our biggest rival, but they had dropped off by the time we gained ascendency in African football. So in the period where we were most dominant as an African footballing powerhouse, our biggest rival was Cameroon from the 80s to the early 2000s. Tunisia was also a big rival in the 80s for World Cup qualification. Overall, I would say Cameroon, followed by Tunisia. But that was in the past.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Orion wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:27 pm

Tbite

Football rivalry changes over time. Ghana was once our biggest rival, but they had dropped off by the time we gained ascendency in African football. So in the period where we were most dominant as an African footballing powerhouse, our biggest rival was Cameroon from the 80s to the early 2000s. Tunisia was also a big rival in the 80s for World Cup qualification. Overall, I would say Cameroon, followed by Tunisia. But that was in the past.
Yes. However, the point I make is Ghana has been and remains our ruvals. We have today far more contests with Ghama than we have with Cameroon, across ALL levels of competitions. We are in the same football zone with Ghana meaning there are more contests. In essence, in any way that you slice it. Now that does not mean that we do not have a rivalry with Cameroon and others, it simply points to the key rivalry with Ghana that cannot be ignored.

This idea that Cameroon is our biggest rival really is clouded by a few losses in critical AFCON meetings. That all that it is
. I bet if I asked you, you will also think that Cameroon has beaten us more times than we have. You will be wrong. We have actually beaten them far more than they have. Again, this is based on losing a few critical AFCON encounters. Nothing less.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Nigeria’s biggest rival, or adversary is Nigeria itself
Once we get that monkey off our backs then I would suspect Cameroon as our biggest international rival followed by Les Midgets
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I think in this order, our rivals

1:ghana
2: Cameroon

as far as North Africa, I think it maybe Algeria
SuperEagles

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I don't know about you guys but Cameroon vs Nigeria have produced more classics for me than vs Ghana, the Naija vs Ghana rivalry is more sociopolitical and cultural than just the football itself.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Tbite

You say met, what does meet mean. Look for me I really could care less about Ghana must go or Ghana Jollof or how many times we met, or our anglophone brotherhood or Highlife music etc. For me it boils down to one thing, who really hurt us the most in football...and when I think of that, the first thing that comes to my mind is Cameroon. I don't even think about Ghana.

The losses before the final...pffft, most of those losses in the past 20 years especially, we weren't even that good, we were just hoping for the best lol. So it doesn't even dwell on my mind. Cameroon beat us at our best, and not only did they beat us at our best, they even beat us controversially.

So, no I don't spend a lot of time thinking about Ghana or even caring about them, not even remotely close to the way that I feel about Cameroon. AFCON finals? No, sorry but that beats all the little stuff. Heck Ghana can have all the bragging rights they want on every topic they choose, if I get to take those AFCON titles back from Cameroon!

It doesn't really make too much sense arguing the point, because like I said in the post, most of CE will disagree with me, and I think that arguments will be pulled out to somehow justify the point, and hey I am a very tolerant person, let people believe what they want, I am happy being in the minority. All I am saying, is that for me, Cameroon are the number one side in Africa that bother me.

Let me repeat, most of CE will disagree with me. Haba, stop trying to prove something that I already concede.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Those losses in the final to Cameroon
Losses to Argentina
Loss to Italy
Egypt making AFCON look like their birth right
The fact that four African nations have made the 1/4 finals, and 1 has now made the 1/2 finals, and we are still celebrating R16.

This is what keeps me up at night.

Maybe Denmark (but if you really plan to fail, then what are you complaining about).

After all the things above.....that is when I start thinking about Ghana. Although someone might say that Ghana was involved in one of those points....but that's besides the point.

Now you might say that this is mostly off topic as Argentina are not true rivals since we don't put up a fight, but at the least....Cameroon is on topic, very on topic. There is no way in a million years I am forgetting about those final losses any time soon.
kash n' karry
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kash n' karry »

:evil: :twisted:
Biggest rivals of the SE in Africa are Ghana, Cameroon, Algeria, Morrocco !!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

kash n' karry wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:46 am :evil: :twisted:
Biggest rivals of the SE in Africa are Ghana, Cameroon, Algeria, Morrocco !!
Welcome back. Quite an age
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Our new rivals are Sierra Leone, Cape Verde, Madagascar and Central African Republic :)
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wanaj0 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:55 am Our new rivals are Sierra Leone, Cape Verde, Madagascar and Central African Republic :)
:rotf: :rotf: LOL. No be lie oooo
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Tbite wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:04 pm

Tbite

You say met, what does meet mean. Look for me I really could care less about Ghana must go or Ghana Jollof or how many times we met, or our anglophone brotherhood or Highlife music etc. For me it boils down to one thing, who really hurt us the most in football...and when I think of that, the first thing that comes to my mind is Cameroon. I don't even think about Ghana.

The losses before the final...pffft, most of those losses in the past 20 years especially, we weren't even that good, we were just hoping for the best lol. So it doesn't even dwell on my mind. Cameroon beat us at our best, and not only did they beat us at our best, they even beat us controversially.

So, no I don't spend a lot of time thinking about Ghana or even caring about them, not even remotely close to the way that I feel about Cameroon. AFCON finals? No, sorry but that beats all the little stuff. Heck Ghana can have all the bragging rights they want on every topic they choose, if I get to take those AFCON titles back from Cameroon!

It doesn't really make too much sense arguing the point, because like I said in the post, most of CE will disagree with me, and I think that arguments will be pulled out to somehow justify the point, and hey I am a very tolerant person, let people believe what they want, I am happy being in the minority. All I am saying, is that for me, Cameroon are the number one side in Africa that bother me.

Let me repeat, most of CE will disagree with me. Haba, stop trying to prove something that I already concede.
As an individual, your focus is not necessarily shared by others. You are focusing on the number of times we lost to Cameroon in the Nations Cup final while others may chose to focus on the number of times Ghana has prevented us from advancing in major competitions, which is a lot… and add that to the fact that Ghana has beaten us more times than any other country in the whole wide world🤔🙂❗️

Cheers.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Our biggest and only true rivals are Ghana
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:28 am
Tbite wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:04 pm

Tbite

As an individual, your focus is not necessarily shared by others. You are focusing on the number of times we lost to Cameroon in the Nations Cup final while others may chose to focus on the number of times Ghana has prevented us from advancing in major competitions, which is a lot… and add that to the fact that Ghana has beaten us more times than any other country in the whole wide world🤔🙂❗️

Cheers.
Isn't that implied when I said that most people on CE will disagree? But in the same vein, don't be too shocked that there are indeed those of us that value the Cameroon rivalry more than the Ghana rivalry.

I will take a win over Cameroon over a win over Ghana, any day of the week. But to each their own.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Becos of Jollof una no want make we hia word? Wetin consign me with cooking shows. We dey football forum, nah Mama Ikechi business una dey discuss?

If nah to discuss cooking shows, Ghana be our rival. Jollof wars, Puff Puff versus Bofrot, the kain ting wey Mama Ikechi sabi.

I really hope say those Bredas sabi cook Jollof as dem think dem sabi, but if na to discuss football, dat wan wey we dey call round leather ball game, nah only those Agric farmers wey dey wia green and red, Indomitable house cats, I sabi.

I don resurrect this tread like Lazarus, becos we get unfinished business with the dem dems.

Make una shine ya eyes well well, becos this Round of 16 game wey dem come, no be mathematical equation (No be Odegbami business), nah bad blood dey dia.

Rivalry dey dia, chuku chuku dey dia (and I no mean the Samu Samu kain, dat wan wey soft pass Ajebota). Na real chuku chuku dey dia oh.

We no fi lose this game. Abeg! Nah real war be dis. We no go gree make dis plantain boys throw san san for our correct Ijebu Gari. Thunda go fiya dia nyansh anyhow.