Osimhen is a complete player that is the difference.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Osimhen is a complete player that is the difference.

Post by Tbite »

The issue with our other players is not that they are overrated. In their own individual areas they are just as good as Osimhen. The issue that they have is that they are one dimensional and they do not know how to mask their one one-dimensional nature.

Osimhen is too dynamic. That is the difference. He can't cut inside like Samu, I am sure his left foot is not as good as Nacho.

but the guy succeeds because he is so damn dynamic. He reads the game well, and he has a so many tools to score. It doesn't matter if he overhits the ball, he can sink you with his head. Doesn't matter if you deal with his pace (can't believe I just wrote that), he will beat you in the duel.

I think Osimhen is one of the most important footballers in world football today. Forget about the stats, that isn't what the scouts are looking at. The most impressive thing is the dynamism. It is important because it means he can translate to many football systems. This is no Lukaku that is going to need to fit into a particular team.

I will go on to say that Osimhen can play well in any league and scenario. In fact we have already seen it. I am already sold on Osimhen in the SE. Osimhen has borrowed from all his mentors it seems. Even Ighalo has rubbed off on him with the hold up play.

The thing I dislike about so many SE players is they get good at one thing and get too comfortable. Osimhen will go down as a top 5 success SE story in Europe (realistically top 3 and possibly top 1) because he isn't comfortable. The Osimhen we see today is not even the finished article. Whereas we have already seen the best of so many of the others...

And this is not a case of bushboy insulting other players to big up his guy. Osimhen is not my guy...I am just calling it as it is. I am not insulting anybody, just laying down the facts. The others need to do better. I actually believe in them (more than most). I think Samu can be on the same level as Osimhen (most on CE will laugh at me). But I know for a fact he can. He is doing better off late, but it is more than end product, he needs to become more dynamic.

I wrote a post on CE some months back cautioning people from hyping Osimhen because his stats were still getting there, but I think we can relax at this point. Osimhen has done what you expect any true footballer to do, he has put his head down and evolved. The hype players don't evolve. They stagnate. Osimhen is the real deal. I am 100% sure of it now. There is no point saying it is early days, because he has already shown the very quality. He will continue to get better, that much I am certain. I don't know if Samu will continue to get better, I don't know if Ndidi has peaked, I don't know if Terem Moffi or Zaidu Sanusi will continue to improve. But I know for a fact that Osimhen will continue to get better.

I salute you Victor. You have shown the way. And it is very important, because when we get other success stories, they may likely be because of Victor. He has shown how it is done.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Osimhen is a complete player that is the difference.

Post by Tobi17 »

The guy has scored so many goals with his superb aerial abilities, sucks we have clowns like Simon Moses in the NT who can't cross a damn ball to save his life....Osimhen deserves better honestly
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

We talk too much about talent.....talent is not the most important thing. Evolution is the most important thing. Don't tell me what you can do, show me how you can evolve.

Just about every footballer has at least one strength, but how can you evolve that strength. Awoniyi can also match Osimhen, why not? But...once again it will take evolution. Digging deep. Unfortunately a lot of footballers struggle to dig deep and evolve when they are sleeping in silk sheets.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

KPOM × 1000.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

He’s a top 5 striker in the world.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

We no get the players to feed him…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:06 am We no get the players to feed him…
Morocco would have given anything to have a striker like Osimhen in their team at the world cup
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:20 am
Morocco would have given anything to have a striker like Osimhen in their team at the world cup

We could use Amrabat and you’d probably get the Abuja Stafium and Tin Can Island port for Ziyech.
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Simple.. He is a class above his teammates.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:08 pm In their own individual areas they are just as good as Osimhen.
I stopped reading here. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

They are as good (in their own area) as one of the best strikers in the world, yet most of them are in div 2 or struggling at bottom sh1t clubs? :rotf: :rotf: In essence, you are saying we have defenders as good as Ruben Dias, Varane, Maquinhos etc and midfielders as good as DeBruyne, KImmich etc etc.. but some how, these players are are as good as the best in the world are in Div 2! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

This is why we need to convince the likes of Eze, Carney or Noni Madueke to play for us. Which midfielder will not like to supply balls to strikers of the calibre of Osimhen, Sadiq or Moffi?
I am happy
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Dammy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:00 am
This is why we need to convince the likes of Eze, Carney or Noni Madueke to play for us. Which midfielder will not like to supply balls to strikers of the calibre of Osimhen, Sadiq or Moffi?
KPOM
Unless we somehow unearth talents from any of our youth teams coming up, we ate desperately out of the options now, the likes of Simon Moses etc will never get better so Osimhen, Moffi, Sadiq etc will continue to struggle in the NT even while topping the goal charts across Europe cause they are surrounded with deadweights who just get unmerited call ups because of "experience." I've always said the NFF and coaching staffs should take a bold step and overhaul the bull of this team, just build around Osimhen and a few others like Moffi, Sadiq, Iwobi, Bassey and prospects like Osayi Bright, Yusuf etc
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:08 pm The issue with our other players is not that they are overrated. In their own individual areas they are just as good as Osimhen. The issue that they have is that they are one dimensional and they do not know how to mask their one one-dimensional nature.

Osimhen is too dynamic. That is the difference. He can't cut inside like Samu, I am sure his left foot is not as good as Nacho.

but the guy succeeds because he is so damn dynamic. He reads the game well, and he has a so many tools to score. It doesn't matter if he overhits the ball, he can sink you with his head. Doesn't matter if you deal with his pace (can't believe I just wrote that), he will beat you in the duel.

I think Osimhen is one of the most important footballers in world football today. Forget about the stats, that isn't what the scouts are looking at. The most impressive thing is the dynamism. It is important because it means he can translate to many football systems. This is no Lukaku that is going to need to fit into a particular team.

I will go on to say that Osimhen can play well in any league and scenario. In fact we have already seen it. I am already sold on Osimhen in the SE. Osimhen has borrowed from all his mentors it seems. Even Ighalo has rubbed off on him with the hold up play.

The thing I dislike about so many SE players is they get good at one thing and get too comfortable. Osimhen will go down as a top 5 success SE story in Europe (realistically top 3 and possibly top 1) because he isn't comfortable. The Osimhen we see today is not even the finished article. Whereas we have already seen the best of so many of the others...

And this is not a case of bushboy insulting other players to big up his guy. Osimhen is not my guy...I am just calling it as it is. I am not insulting anybody, just laying down the facts. The others need to do better. I actually believe in them (more than most). I think Samu can be on the same level as Osimhen (most on CE will laugh at me). But I know for a fact he can. He is doing better off late, but it is more than end product, he needs to become more dynamic.

I wrote a post on CE some months back cautioning people from hyping Osimhen because his stats were still getting there, but I think we can relax at this point. Osimhen has done what you expect any true footballer to do, he has put his head down and evolved. The hype players don't evolve. They stagnate. Osimhen is the real deal. I am 100% sure of it now. There is no point saying it is early days, because he has already shown the very quality. He will continue to get better, that much I am certain. I don't know if Samu will continue to get better, I don't know if Ndidi has peaked, I don't know if Terem Moffi or Zaidu Sanusi will continue to improve. But I know for a fact that Osimhen will continue to get better.

I salute you Victor. You have shown the way. And it is very important, because when we get other success stories, they may likely be because of Victor. He has shown how it is done.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:agree: Of all our Strikers he's the most balanced ability-wise. Said this 2 months ago:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:20 am
Tbite wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:08 pm In their own individual areas they are just as good as Osimhen.
I stopped reading here. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

They are as good (in their own area) as one of the best strikers in the world, yet most of them are in div 2 or struggling at bottom sh1t clubs? :rotf: :rotf: In essence, you are saying we have defenders as good as Ruben Dias, Varane, Maquinhos etc and midfielders as good as DeBruyne, KImmich etc etc.. but some how, these players are are as good as the best in the world are in Div 2! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well that is why you didn't get it, you stopped reading there.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Complete? That's a stretch.

To me, and I say this with a lot of thought, he's the 2nd coming of Rasheed Yekini. In all my years of watching football, that is the player that he strikes me as most similar to.

And please, let some of you not allow lack of achievements in European football to blind you to what a nightmare Yekini was to defenses.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

deanotito wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:56 am Complete? That's a stretch.

To me, and I say this with a lot of thought, he's the 2nd coming of Rasheed Yekini. In all my years of watching football, that is the player that he strikes me as most similar to.

And please, let some of you not allow lack of achievements in European football to blind you to what a nightmare Yekini was to defenses.
What do you mean by lack of achievements? Yekini was the top scorer of the 1993/94 Portuguese League with Vitoria Setubal that just got promoted the season before with 21 goals. This was despite him missing 6 weeks due to the 1994 AFCON. Previous season in the lower division he also clinched the top scorer's award with 30 goals.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Adisboy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:38 am

What do you mean by lack of achievements? Yekini was the top scorer of the 1993/94 Portuguese League with Vitoria Setubal that just got promoted the season before with 21 goals. This was despite him missing 6 weeks due to the 1994 AFCON. Previous season in the lower division he also clinched the top scorer's award with 30 goals.
No be me you go tell. I know who the man was. But some people be talking gibberish about Yekini
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Problem of Nigeria is the mixture of too many different styles right now so winning the ANC sef will be a tall order for them. For one thing the whole back four of Aina, Balagun, Ekong, and (forgot his name) is not championship material and then you add Aribo and others and the result will be inconsistent at best me thinks.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

What is complete?

We often rubbish posts on CE without actually putting up any definitions or defences. Interestingly I wasn't alluding that Osimhen was a complete striker, but rather a complete player in the sense that his attributes are versatile (which the post will obviously support). BUT for simplicity's sake, I will use your interpretation of my post, as I think I can argue for it anyway.

Here is how one site defines a complete striker
The complete striker is a rare breed. They are difficult to define and worth their weight in goal. They have the attributes of several different types of striker and can perform several roles. For instance, they are often able to create and score their own goals (i.e. Ronaldo), or to act as a target man and also an off-the-shoulder striker (i.e. Torres). They can frequently operate effectively alone up front or offer versatility in their choice of striking partner. Their unpredictability makes them all the harder to defend against.

Source

Can Osimhen create and score his own goals? Resounding yes.

Can he play as a target man? Resounding yes.

In fact all commentators of Osimhen are of the same belief. His greatest strength, believe it or not, is not being described as goalscoring! I think at this point there is no point comparing Osimhen to any player, I think he has made his own name and it is obvious. His greatest quality is not even the goals but the fear he puts into defences! This is because he successfully operates in the hole, as the terror that can either drop deeper to create or begin his run as the target. Osimhen doesn't just peel off with pace, he can control the ball at pace and control.

His style of football is actually very hard for me to read, because it seems to be more effective than it should, this suggests a player that has perfected reading defences. He ALWAYS beats his man to the ball and this is even in 50/50 situations, so it isn't just about pace, it's about unsettling the defender. We can also see that it is not Kvacha that makes the man. Osimhen was successful even when the likes of Insigne refused to square the ball, this is because of his versatility.

He will succeed regardless of the supporting cast, a good supporting cast is just the cherry on top.

And in terms of finishing his aerial ability is sumptuous (0.2 goals per game) and his right foot is sublime (0.4 goals per game), while is left foot is interestingly (0.2 goals per game). This suggests very well rounded finishing, certainly much more rounded than his rival Dusan Vlahovic!! He can score from tight angles as well. So yeah I am inclined to say that he is a complete striker, or at the very least knocking on that door. I wouldn't call these qualities a massive stretch lol.

and there is nothing to flatter the man really, it is just as we say. He isn't even the designated PK taker.

Appendix

You will note that Osimhen's weaknesses are more related to the team aspect than his role as a striker. I.e. he can make improvements in passing. Whoscored does state that offsides are also a weakness, but it generally doesn't matter because what Osimhen does is generate more opportunities than is required. Very rarely the efficiency comes back to bite him, such as against Inter. This is where he still has room to grow.

So the word complete by no means suggests a perfect player, it suggests a player whose attributes are great enough that they appear to have no weaknesses (even where they clearly have them). A good example of this is David Beckham (whose weak foot was atrocious), many probably never even knew. Even Lionel Messi has weaknesses.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

In the game against Juventus, Osimhen actually made many mistakes, including a poor miss with only the keeper to beat, but one to two minutes later he was already in position for Kvacha to square the ball for a goal, Kvacha didn't.....and shortly after he scored his second. In a very short space of time, three goalscoring opportunities! And this isn't teammates dishing out the ball to a player sitting.

Osimhen actually MOVES into position. He knows the right spaces to be in. It isn't so much the creative players dishing the ball out, as it is team chemistry unfolding to find the right spaces together. Osimhen's second goal does not happen if it is the creative player alone looking for the space. In fact it seems that Osimhen identifies the channel BEFORE Kvacha even does, as he signals for the ball VERY early and runs into the space.

This may even explain why he runs offside, this is a guy who is anticipating the pass long before the pass is made.

This is the real reason why I call the man complete. The above post I try to respond to your interpretation. But my real assessment is that this is a player whose weaknesses really do not matter, because he knows 50 different ways to score.

Even those saying that we don't have people to feed him the ball in the SE, I am telling you, if this guy is healthy and the SE are not ENTIRELY shambolic, Osimhen is still a danger to Yekini's goal record, EVEN with poor distribution.

He will end up being one of those players that you simply cannot defend against.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

T Bite, all I said was:

“Complete, that’s a bit of a stretch”.

Na becos of that you come dump this thesis??
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Tbite wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:01 am In the game against Juventus, Osimhen actually made many mistakes, including a poor miss with only the keeper to beat, but one to two minutes later he was already in position for Kvacha to square the ball for a goal, Kvacha didn't.....and shortly after he scored his second. In a very short space of time, three goalscoring opportunities! And this isn't teammates dishing out the ball to a player sitting.

Osimhen actually MOVES into position. He knows the right spaces to be in. It isn't so much the creative players dishing the ball out, as it is team chemistry unfolding to find the right spaces together. Osimhen's second goal does not happen if it is the creative player alone looking for the space. In fact it seems that Osimhen identifies the channel BEFORE Kvacha even does, as he signals for the ball VERY early and runs into the space.

This may even explain why he runs offside, this is a guy who is anticipating the pass long before the pass is made.

This is the real reason why I call the man complete. The above post I try to respond to your interpretation. But my real assessment is that this is a player whose weaknesses really do not matter, because he knows 50 different ways to score.

Even those saying that we don't have people to feed him the ball in the SE, I am telling you, if this guy is healthy and the SE are not ENTIRELY shambolic, Osimhen is still a danger to Yekini's goal record, EVEN with poor distribution.

He will end up being one of those players that you simply cannot defend against.
Thanks for the assessment. We all need to elevate the understanding, and the nuances that will help properly, fairly, and objectively the evaluation of a player for fans, and the Nigerian coaches/NFF Technical committee.
When some administrators/coaches were in an echo chamber, some fans, media and self-serving selfish individuals helped sabotage previous WC/AFCON attempts with their dumbed down understanding of the game.