Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 27158
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by Tbite »

Anybody who disrespects Enyeama either has

1) An Agenda (1Naija)
2) Ignorant (Most Europeans)
3) Is trying to be funny (Possibly also 1naija)
4) Is Jealous or has an ego (Oliseh and NFF)

No reasonable person would disrespect Enyeama. I won't stand for it, not after all he did for us. No way in hell. The many was almost single handedly saving the SE at times. We could even have renamed Cyber Eagles after him. To disrespect him is sacrilege! Without Enyeama I shudder at what the SE would have been in the Mid to late 2000s lol.

The NFF should have built 20 houses for Enyeama instead of the B/S they did...because Enyeama and Mikel were singlehandedly making their incompetence look palatable. Without Enyeama, Nigeria would look like a second rate African side. I think the NFF are so incompetent, they never realised just what Enyeama did for them.

It is a different kind of heroics. Because Enyeama was a star in an era where stars were nonexistent. You can say you prefer Ike Shorunmu or Rufai or whatever, or say that he is not up to Okocha or Yekini or Finidi George or whatever, but this was a different type of situation. Not only was Enyeama a hero, he was a hero when there was really nobody else. It was Enyeama and Mikel and that was it lol.

So while on this forum we often joke about the 90s eagles and Kanu not being this or Okocha not being that, with Enyeama I don't even want to joke about it, because he carried so much weight on his shoulders. Okocha and Kanu were stars among many. There was Taribo, Oliseh, Amokachi etc. Enyeama carried too much of our burden.

What burden were the the previous generation carrying? They would miss their flights at the airport half the time, because there were others to pick up the slack. If Enyeama missed his flight, that might be the end of the world lol.

So sorry if I don't take kindly to this kind of stuff.
User avatar
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 12099
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by Dammy »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:50 pm Anybody who disrespects Enyeama either has

1) An Agenda (1Naija)
2) Ignorant (Most Europeans)
3) Is trying to be funny (Possibly also 1naija)
4) Is Jealous or has an ego (Oliseh and NFF)

No reasonable person would disrespect Enyeama. I won't stand for it, not after all he did for us. No way in hell. The many was almost single handedly saving the SE at times. We could even have renamed Cyber Eagles after him. To disrespect him is sacrilege! Without Enyeama I shudder at what the SE would have been in the Mid to late 2000s lol.

The NFF should have built 20 houses for Enyeama instead of the B/S they did...because Enyeama and Mikel were singlehandedly making their incompetence look palatable. Without Enyeama, Nigeria would look like a second rate African side. I think the NFF are so incompetent, they never realised just what Enyeama did for them.

It is a different kind of heroics. Because Enyeama was a star in an era where stars were nonexistent. You can say you prefer Ike Shorunmu or Rufai or whatever, or say that he is not up to Okocha or Yekini or Finidi George or whatever, but this was a different type of situation. Not only was Enyeama a hero, he was a hero when there was really nobody else. It was Enyeama and Mikel and that was it lol.

So while on this forum we often joke about the 90s eagles and Kanu not being this or Okocha not being that, with Enyeama I don't even want to joke about it, because he carried so much weight on his shoulders. Okocha and Kanu were stars among many. There was Taribo, Oliseh, Amokachi etc. Enyeama carried too much of our burden.

What burden were the the previous generation carrying? They would miss their flights at the airport half the time, because there were others to pick up the slack. If Enyeama missed his flight, that might be the end of the world lol.

So sorry if I don't take kindly to this kind of stuff.
Add danfo driver to No 4! :lol:
I am happy
User avatar
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Posts: 53915
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by 1naija »

tidbit, what's my agenda?

Which part of any of the statements I have made on this thread do you disagree with? What has all the nonsensical gibberish you wrote below got to do with Enyeama's performance at Lille or for Nigeria?

Did they not score 42 goals against him in 2014/15 season?
Did they not score 24 goals against him in the 2015/16 season that he had the shut out streak?
Did they not score 40 goals against him in the 2016/17 season?


Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:50 pm Anybody who disrespects Enyeama either has

1) An Agenda (1Naija)
2) Ignorant (Most Europeans)
3) Is trying to be funny (Possibly also 1naija)
4) Is Jealous or has an ego (Oliseh and NFF)

No reasonable person would disrespect Enyeama. I won't stand for it, not after all he did for us. No way in hell. The many was almost single handedly saving the SE at times. We could even have renamed Cyber Eagles after him. To disrespect him is sacrilege! Without Enyeama I shudder at what the SE would have been in the Mid to late 2000s lol.

The NFF should have built 20 houses for Enyeama instead of the B/S they did...because Enyeama and Mikel were singlehandedly making their incompetence look palatable. Without Enyeama, Nigeria would look like a second rate African side. I think the NFF are so incompetent, they never realised just what Enyeama did for them.

It is a different kind of heroics. Because Enyeama was a star in an era where stars were nonexistent. You can say you prefer Ike Shorunmu or Rufai or whatever, or say that he is not up to Okocha or Yekini or Finidi George or whatever, but this was a different type of situation. Not only was Enyeama a hero, he was a hero when there was really nobody else. It was Enyeama and Mikel and that was it lol.

So while on this forum we often joke about the 90s eagles and Kanu not being this or Okocha not being that, with Enyeama I don't even want to joke about it, because he carried so much weight on his shoulders. Okocha and Kanu were stars among many. There was Taribo, Oliseh, Amokachi etc. Enyeama carried too much of our burden.

What burden were the the previous generation carrying? They would miss their flights at the airport half the time, because there were others to pick up the slack. If Enyeama missed his flight, that might be the end of the world lol.

So sorry if I don't take kindly to this kind of stuff.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
User avatar
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 25375
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 am
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

1naija wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:03 pm tidbit, what's my agenda?

Which part of any of the statements I have made on this thread do you disagree with? What has all the nonsensical gibberish you wrote below got to do with Enyeama's performance at Lille or for Nigeria?

Did they not score 42 goals against him in 2014/15 season?
Did they not score 24 goals against him in the 2015/16 season that he had the shut out streak?
Did they not score 40 goals against him in the 2016/17 season?


Tbite wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:50 pm Anybody who disrespects Enyeama either has

1) An Agenda (1Naija)
2) Ignorant (Most Europeans)
3) Is trying to be funny (Possibly also 1naija)
4) Is Jealous or has an ego (Oliseh and NFF)

No reasonable person would disrespect Enyeama. I won't stand for it, not after all he did for us. No way in hell. The many was almost single handedly saving the SE at times. We could even have renamed Cyber Eagles after him. To disrespect him is sacrilege! Without Enyeama I shudder at what the SE would have been in the Mid to late 2000s lol.

The NFF should have built 20 houses for Enyeama instead of the B/S they did...because Enyeama and Mikel were singlehandedly making their incompetence look palatable. Without Enyeama, Nigeria would look like a second rate African side. I think the NFF are so incompetent, they never realised just what Enyeama did for them.

It is a different kind of heroics. Because Enyeama was a star in an era where stars were nonexistent. You can say you prefer Ike Shorunmu or Rufai or whatever, or say that he is not up to Okocha or Yekini or Finidi George or whatever, but this was a different type of situation. Not only was Enyeama a hero, he was a hero when there was really nobody else. It was Enyeama and Mikel and that was it lol.

So while on this forum we often joke about the 90s eagles and Kanu not being this or Okocha not being that, with Enyeama I don't even want to joke about it, because he carried so much weight on his shoulders. Okocha and Kanu were stars among many. There was Taribo, Oliseh, Amokachi etc. Enyeama carried too much of our burden.

What burden were the the previous generation carrying? They would miss their flights at the airport half the time, because there were others to pick up the slack. If Enyeama missed his flight, that might be the end of the world lol.

So sorry if I don't take kindly to this kind of stuff.


Which kind propaganda be dis? :shock: Onku, this is a misuse of stats and an attempt to deceive the people with fraudulent interpretations of the stats. You need to back off King Enyeama and organize a go fund me for Noble to get his Afcon bench warming bonus. Abi na per diem dem owe am.:laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 27158
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by Tbite »

Teams in Ligue 1 concede anywhere from 20-85 goals give or take.

Most teams seem to sit in that 20-40 range that you picked (including the teams at the top).

I also remember (not based on stats but rather my memory) that when he finally conceded, it was due to a shambolic defence. This was not a case of a good defence and a keeper getting rewarded in stats. No! That Lille team were terrible at defending, and Enyeama was saving their blushes. He would have broken the record if they were any good. Sirigu's record at least.

I think there is one other record.

I don't want to sound like one of those guys, but I honestly think there is an element of prejudice involved here. See Africans have only had inroads in European football very recently. It started in the late 80s...that is how recent it is. Now keepers, that is even much later. So let us not act like we have a long history of being trusted in European football.

Ligue 1 is even the blip on the map, if you take away Ligue 1 then African goalkeepers have made no inroads in European football essentially. So there is zero margin for error when it comes to African keepers.

I am not being patriotic or biased when I say that Enyeama was much better than what he got in Europe. For a keeper of his quality, you normally get much better in Europe. We act like keepers don't make mistakes across the board in Europe.

There are very few keepers that were of the calibre of lets say a Buffon or a Neur. Most have their ups and downs like Enyeama, and they are not penalized harshly. African keepers are still in that position where they have to perform BETTER than they need to. It's one of those situations.

I could be wrong, perhaps somebody will pull out some crazy statistics to blow my mind away, but I honestly have no clue why he was treated the way he was in Europe, I just didn't see any statistics to merit it.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 27158
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 am
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by Tbite »

Funnily enough this side discussion actually answers our question at hand. Uzoho simply must go to the MLS. The margin for error in Europe for African keepers is razor thin...and Uzoho is no standout talent. He will be buried alive.

If he goes to MLS, he can improve, and then make progress into Europe later. MLS keepers are respected in Europe. So the pathway is realistic.
User avatar
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 11931
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:56 pm
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by wiseone »

The USA has an excellent track record of producing top GKs: Howard, Friedel, Guzman, Keller (all of whom played in the Premier League). Uzoho is an average GK but since he is young, an MLS move and the coaching there may improve him.
chuks69 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am
MLS Gks are just very good shot stoppers and anot super technically..
There is a reason the first two Gks of the US national team dont play in the MLS, and they are back ups in EPL annd Championship respectively..
olu
Egg
Egg
Posts: 3470
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:38 pm
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by olu »

I disagree. All 4 keepers wiseone listed were good technically and good shot stoppers as well. You do realize Nigeria is yet to produce a single keeper that has played in the EPL. Btw, not many keepers can displace Ramsdale. He's one of the best in the EPL. Also, Zack Steffen starts most games for Middlesborough in the Championship.
wiseone wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:31 am The USA has an excellent track record of producing top GKs: Howard, Friedel, Guzman, Keller (all of whom played in the Premier League). Uzoho is an average GK but since he is young, an MLS move and the coaching there may improve him.
chuks69 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am
MLS Gks are just very good shot stoppers and anot super technically..
There is a reason the first two Gks of the US national team dont play in the MLS, and they are back ups in EPL annd Championship respectively..
User avatar
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Posts: 53915
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Ligue1

Post by 1naija »

What has what you said got to with whether MLS will be a good move for Uzoho given the US track record of developing goalkeepers. Were the goalkeepers born technically good or is that something they developed along the way? What makes you think Uzoho cannot benefit from similar training?

olu wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:24 pm I disagree. All 4 keepers wiseone listed were good technically and good shot stoppers as well. You do realize Nigeria is yet to produce a single keeper that has played in the EPL. Btw, not many keepers can displace Ramsdale. He's one of the best in the EPL. Also, Zack Steffen starts most games for Middlesborough in the Championship.
wiseone wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:31 am The USA has an excellent track record of producing top GKs: Howard, Friedel, Guzman, Keller (all of whom played in the Premier League). Uzoho is an average GK but since he is young, an MLS move and the coaching there may improve him.
chuks69 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 am
MLS Gks are just very good shot stoppers and anot super technically..
There is a reason the first two Gks of the US national team dont play in the MLS, and they are back ups in EPL annd Championship respectively..
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
User avatar
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Posts: 25980
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Ukwuani
Re: Francis Uzoho to choose MLS over Lig

Post by Odas »

bret- hart wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:42 pm
1naija wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:48 pm US is a breeding ground for top goalkeepers. He will have access to the best goalkeeper trainers.

I think Vincent's was good, but his heroics were exaggerated, mostly by people like you who had no job and therefore did not have cable to watch him in France. He is the new Thunder Balogun with legends of unverifiable heroics. The main source of the legends about him is from the game against Argentina where he saved a couple of one on one shots, similar to what Uzoho did against ManU. But like Omonoia, we eventually lost the game. Maybe one day, we will start similar legend about Uzoho because of the Manchester United game.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm
chuks69 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:27 pm Francis Uzoho is looking to choose MLS ahead of French Ligue 1..
I understand his advisors... Ligue 1 would be a good springboard for other higher level EU teams..

https://www.owngoalnigeria.com/2023/01/ ... h-ligue-1/
This is a dicey one. Enyeama was one of the best African goalies for a long long time and the best team that came for him was Lille towards the end of his career. The goalkeeping position has a lot to do with trust, it’s very difficult for a top team to sign an African goalie they haven’t known for literally all his playing career. However, the MLS will give him the opportunity to get a more focused specialized training he might not have gotten before. My bet is that he’ll be a better goalie in the long run in the MLS then he can move to a bigger team.
Still 100x better than Akpeyi and Noble
Please make sure 1Naija doesn't see this; abeg, hmm!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.

Post Reply