Troost Ekong to Serie A on loan

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Troost Ekong to Serie A on loan

Post by maceo4 »

Ekong was straight into their starting lineup for their win today!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Troost Ekong highlights the fact that one man’s meat is another’s poison. You can’t judge professional soccer players by the fact that one coach does not think highly of them. Grey was not a favorite at Leicester but look at him now at Everton. He’s one of the first names on the team list. I hope Ekong is able to get into a groove at his current club❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:40 am Troost Ekong highlights the fact that one man’s meat is another’s poison. You can’t judge professional soccer players by the fact that one coach dies not think highly of them. Grey was not a favorite at Leicester but look at him now at Everton. He’s one of the first names on the team list. I hope Ekong is able to get into a groove at his current club❗️

Cheers.
I’m happy for Ekong but he is what he is. He shouldn’t be discarded but we should be seriously looking to replace the likes of Ekong, Balogun and Omerua. That way we don’t end up like Uruguay who are struggling to let go of oldies like Godwin, Coates & Cáceres.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:16 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:43 am
hestonap wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:42 pm
Lolly wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:14 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:25 pm Congrats to Troost. He has served us well over the last few yrs, he playsbwith his heart fir Nigeria and I appreciate. However, I think we need to start looking the younger players for the future. Adarabioyo, Akpoguma, Awazien, Ndah, Bassey need to form the core of the new SE defense. Troost can still be a squad play but I think his days as a starter is done unless we have injuries.
Una no dey hear word. None of the players you listed can clean the boots of Ekong even at his lowest.
Bros if what you said is true, the our defensive problems are even worse than I imagined. I like Troost, plays with heart, nice personality, but he reminds me of some of the rather substandard defenders I've watched in the Eagles over the years with Fury and the bandana wearing chap amongst others that come to mind. He is average in the talent department but no denying his heart, but he remains among the best we have and it is indictment of how poor we are that he rates so 'highly'.

Good luck though to his new endeavours in Italy, I truly wish him great success. I'd never knock a fellow Nigerian in his legitimate hustle.
The good news is that what he says is not true.
We respect Ekong but in recent years, he hasn’t been that great.
Like you said, he’s what we have right now but I suspect not for long.
What is untrue? Which one of these new boys in town like Adarabioyo, Akpoguma, Awazien, Ndah, Bassey is better than Ekong? Give reasons and stats of possible.
How in all sincerity are you going to compare the stats of a 29 year old with a 23 year old?
Kongi’s comment was about the future and paid no disrespect to Ekong.
Moreover you have shifted the goalposts in one post. From saying they “cant clean his boots” which we are contesting, you have pivoted to disputing a made-up statement that no one actually made! :lol:

Your initial claim is not true. If it were, it would mean that there was such a gulf in quality that none of the named players would have the remotest chance of stepping on the pitch ahead of Ekong, ever.
That is a false claim and Ekong was badly struggling to lace up for the central defence of an English second tier team.

This is no disrespect to Ekong and we wish him good luck in Serie A regardless.
[P.S. I don’t rate Awaziem at the moment either, so you can take him out of the debate]
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

packerland wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:09 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:40 am Troost Ekong highlights the fact that one man’s meat is another’s poison. You can’t judge professional soccer players by the fact that one coach dies not think highly of them. Grey was not a favorite at Leicester but look at him now at Everton. He’s one of the first names on the team list. I hope Ekong is able to get into a groove at his current club❗️

Cheers.
I’m happy for Ekong but he is what he is. He shouldn’t be discarded but we should be seriously looking to replace the likes of Ekong, Balogun and Omerua. That way we don’t end up like Uruguay who are struggling to let go of oldies like Godwin, Coates & Cáceres.
Kpom!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cheers.
Every single player in the SuperEagles squad will be replaced when the time comes. It is not up to you or I to say when that will be. The goal of the national team handlers should be to keep developing young players who will transition seamlessly into the team when any of the current players becomes surplus to requirements❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:49 am

Cheers.
Every single player in the SuperEagles squad will be replaced when the time comes. It is not up to you or I to say when that will be. The goal of the national team handlers should be to keep developing young players who will transition seamlessly into the team when any of the current players becomes surplus to requirements❗️

Cheers.
What many of us are saying is that IN OUR OPINION that time to transition is now. Balogun (34) is coming to the end of his career, while Ekong and Omeruo (both 29) seem to be past their best even though relatively younger.
For them, that shouldn’t be the case but it takes me back to a thread I started a few years ago, asking why Nigerian players seemed to have their best years at about 24, 25 and then just fade out from about 26.

Omeruo and Ekong should be at the peak of their careers at the moment, especially as central defenders.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:15 am

Cheers.

Cheers.
What many of us are saying is that IN OUR OPINION that time to transition is now. Balogun (34) is coming to the end of his career, while Ekong and Omeruo (both 29) seem to be past their best even though relatively younger.
For them, that shouldn’t be the case but it takes me back to a thread I started a few years ago, asking why Nigerian players seemed to have their best years at about 24, 25 and then just fade out from about 26.

Omeruo and Ekong should be at the peak of their careers at the moment, especially as central defenders.
Damunk, you don’t have any credible evidence to support the bolded statement which is little more than conjecture. Some of the best defenders in the world are in their mid thirties so, age is not a critical factor in assessing a player’s competence. The fact that Ekong was sought after by a Serie A team suggests that he is not even nearly past his best. Unfortunately, Nigeria is quick to discard players we perceive to be past their prime for a variety of reasons, most of which are not really valid; for example, the perception that a player who gets relegated along with his club is no longer playing at an optimal level❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:11 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Damunk, you don’t have any credible evidence to support the bolded statement which is little more than conjecture. Some of the best defenders in the world are in their mid thirties so, age is not a critical factor in assessing a player’s competence. The fact that Ekong was sought after by a Serie A team suggests that he is not even nearly past his best. Unfortunately, Nigeria is quick to discard players we perceive to be past their prime for a variety of reasons, most of which are not really valid; for example, the perception that a player who gets relegated along with his club is no longer playing at an optimal level❗️

Cheers.
For Ekong and Omeruo, I was using their performance as my yardstick. Of course, I am happy to be proven wrong and am happy for Ekong’s move to Serie A. However, we cannot deny that his performance with the SE of late hasn’t been great and up until last week, his club career seemed to be waning.
I don’t know what’s going on with Omeruo, but all considered, we had great expectations for him. He has been just average for club and country.
As for Balogun, it is both age and performance. Much respect to him but he isn’t getting any better at this age and frankly, should be conserving his energies for his club to stay relevant longer. We might not have ready SE replacements right now, but Balogun isn’t what he once was.
Of course, it’s my opinion, just like yours is.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Nigerian fans are not stupid, they know when change is needed but they know they can't do a goddamn thing. Just like how we can't discard our useless politicians that are being recycled for us, we sometimes have the same problem with our players. For example, God bless Musa but he has no business in the NT.

Back to the topic, Ekong is being sought by a coach that he previously worked with. He'll come cheap and knows the coach's system and the league. Don't forget he had a stint with Udinesse before getting shipped to Watford. Omeruo might be 29 but he has logged a lot of mileage and injuries over the years. It's true that the best defenders are in their late twenties and early thirties, but most of them have being doing big things for years (Marquinhos, Silva, Varane, Skriniar, Koulibaly, van Dijk etc.). That's not going to happen overnight. Balogun might be better than all three when it comes to pue defending but the guy is done. He can't barely run anymore. God bless all 3 but we need to move on.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

packerland wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:30 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Nigerian fans are not stupid, they know when change is needed but they know they can't do a goddamn thing. Just like how we can't discard our useless politicians that are being recycled for us, we sometimes have the same problem with our players. For example, God bless Musa but he has no business in the NT.

Back to the topic, Ekong is being sought by a coach that he previously worked with. He'll come cheap and knows the coach's system and the league. Don't forget he had a stint with Udinesse before getting shipped to Watford. Omeruo might be 29 but he has logged a lot of mileage and injuries over the years. It's true that the best defenders are in their late twenties and early thirties, but most of them have being doing big things for years (Marquinhos, Silva, Varane, Skriniar, Koulibaly, van Dijk etc.). That's not going to happen overnight. Balogun might be better than all three when it comes to pue defending but the guy is done. He can't barely run anymore. God bless all 3 but we need to move on.
… and how exactly are you going to move on with the imaginary players that you don’t have❓😀❗️

What you do have are Ekong, Umeruo and Balogun. If I were you, I’d be advocating that we stop hiring junk coaches like Rohr and Peseiro otherwise, it’s not going to get better any time soon❗️

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:03 am
packerland wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:30 pm Nigerian fans are not stupid, they know when change is needed but they know they can't do a goddamn thing. Just like how we can't discard our useless politicians that are being recycled for us, we sometimes have the same problem with our players. For example, God bless Musa but he has no business in the NT.

… and how exactly are you going to move on with the imaginary players that you don’t have❓😀❗️

What you do have are Ekong, Umeruo and Balogun. If I were you, I’d be advocating that we stop hiring junk coaches like Rohr and Peseiro otherwise, it’s not going to get better any time soon❗️

Cheers.
You can’t draw blood from a stone. This one is not about junk coaches. It’s about available resources.
Bring Guardiola to Nigeria, he is not going to draw a higher level of performance out of those three.
But if you can make some suggestions about who can, kindly share.
Remember, you have to pay them too. :lol:
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:48 am
packerland wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:30 pm Nigerian fans are not stupid, they know when change is needed but they know they can't do a goddamn thing. Just like how we can't discard our useless politicians that are being recycled for us, we sometimes have the same problem with our players. For example, God bless Musa but he has no business in the NT.

Cheers.
You can’t draw blood from a stone. This one is not about junk coaches. It’s about available resources.
Bring Guardiola to Nigeria, he is not going to draw a higher level of performance out of those three.
He thinks a good coach will turn Ekong and co into Maldini. This conversation is about players and not coaches. The NFF can barely pay junk coaches talk less of the likes of Guardiola. I don't even think they can afford the Saudi coach at this point. While you are at it, name a LC that you would like to see coach the team.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

packerland wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:45 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:48 am

Cheers.
He thinks a good coach will turn Ekong and co into Maldini. This conversation is about players and not coaches. The NFF can barely pay junk coaches talk less of the likes of Guardiola. I don't even think they can afford the Saudi coach at this point. While you are at it, name a LC that you would like to see coach the team.
Did Eguavon really get a fair chance to show what he could do; if it wasn't World Cup qualification involved and, before that A major tournament like Afcon, can we honestly say we gave him a fair chance to showcase his stated Guardiola system. Seriously had he come in before Afcon and lost few games he wouldn't necessarily be sacked. Given that emotions were running high during Afcon only to be followed by yet an ultimate tourney of all - The World cup none of which he couldn't possibly have the luxury of dropping a single game. It was kind of like testing a teenage driver on the express way their first day driving and then blaming them for failing their first time driving.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."