Folarin Balogun

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Folarin Balogun

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:03 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:44 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:51 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:04 pm The Americans are plotting hard to get Balogun.

According to them the likes of Tim Weah and Yunus Musah are speaking to him regularly trying to convince him.

The Americans believe we are satisfied with Osimehn and thus will not pursue him very hard. But they believe he will soon be called to England.

Yup. According to OGN, his agent said he’s all EngLand and maybe USA. Kiss this one goodbye, we should focus on the innits we can get and go get them asap. Eze and Adarabioyomare likely the only 2 we can get.
When we get Eze and Adarabioyo, that's good enough for me. We will always produce top level strikers whether home or abroad so that isn't a position of immediate concern for us. I wish Folarin all the best in whichever country he chooses.
Not so fast bro!
After Yekini, we never really did.
Aiyegbeni wasn't exactly the most prolific for the SE despite his club form.
We all thought Emenike was the next best thing but never quite was.
Yes, we seem to have one in Osimhen at the moment with a good back-up list but it hasn't always been this good.
Well we won an ANC with Emenike as tournament highest scorer, qualified for WC, assisted the goal that took us to the round of 16…that’s best since Yekini as far as productivity from any of our strikers even Vic hasn’t really done jack for SE if we are being honest…so please leave my boy EE alone 😝
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

only one team does he walk right in to the first 11 and claim the number nine jersey. he should play for them.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:26 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:04 pm The Americans are plotting hard to get Balogun.

According to them the likes of Tim Weah and Yunus Musah are speaking to him regularly trying to convince him.

The Americans believe we are satisfied with Osimehn and thus will not pursue him very hard. But they believe he will soon be called to England.

Yup. According to OGN, his agent said he’s all EngLand and maybe USA. Kiss this one goodbye, we should focus on the innits we can get and go get them asap. Eze and Adarabioyomare likely the only 2 we can get.
When we get Eze and Adarabioyo, that's good enough for me. We will always produce top level strikers whether home or abroad so that isn't a position of immediate concern for us. I wish Folarin all the best in whichever country he chooses.
Not so fast bro!
Yes, we seem to have one in Osimhen at the moment with a good back-up list but it hasn't always been this good.
Well we won an ANC with Emenike as tournament highest scorer, qualified for WC, assisted the goal that took us to the round of 16…that’s best since Yekini as far as productivity from any of our strikers even Vic hasn’t really done jack for SE if we are being honest…so please leave my boy EE alone 😝
I read somewhere that EE was ill.
Hope not true.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64515741

Sounds like he’s open to playing for the SE
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

donadoni wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:34 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64515741

then we need to cap him in march asap vs Guinea Bissau
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:14 pm
donadoni wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:34 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64515741

then we need to cap him in march asap vs Guinea Bissau
I didn’t see anything he said in that interview with respect to NT choice…they just referenced some old info.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:56 am
maceo4 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:26 pm

Not so fast bro!
I read somewhere that EE was ill.
Hope not true.
I saw it on IG months ago but seems he’s fine now.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

He is keen on the SE. We should be knocking on his door
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

aruako1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:05 pm

I hope so, but this article was referencing something he said in October, his fortunes have changed drastically since then.

Could there be a change of nationality too? He told the BBC in October he would consider playing for Nigeria if they called him up. He was born in the US to Nigerian parents but raised in England, who he has represented at four youth levels.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I think he might get an England call as soon as their next game. He’s arguably as good as any England striker except for Kane. He’s the next Tammy Abraham.
OCCUPY NFF!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

maceo4 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:09 pm

I hope so, but this article was referencing something he said in October, his fortunes have changed drastically since then.

Could there be a change of nationality too? He told the BBC in October he would consider playing for Nigeria if they called him up. He was born in the US to Nigerian parents but raised in England, who he has represented at four youth levels.
Yes. But he would have seen what happened to Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:58 am

One day the penny will drop for all these duals.
I believe Morocco might have opened a few eyes.
There are many roads to Damascus.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:04 am

Damunk,

It is up to us to make the penny drop. We do that by making our team an attractive one to lace up for. These ‘duals’ have options. It is up to Nigeria not the duals to make herself an attractive option for them.

You want these kids to choose Nigeria, Nigeria needs to ‘treat’ their parents better so they sell a very positive version of our nation to their kids. If you see Japa as the only route to a successful outcome, methinks it’s unlikely one’s verbal statements about Nigeria at home will be overwhelmingly positive. Meanwhile the kids are part of football ‘clubs’ and then an academy where they are provided the support from an early age. Kids are impressionable. You know this. The kids will pick it up. By the time you’re either successful enough to put things in context or get to realise away is not quite home, you’ve i glue fed their views strongly enough to see Naija in not so positive terms. Won’t be helped either if these kids make relative successes of themselves outside our shores. It becomes a truly diminishing chance of getting Nigeria to be attractive.

We in the diaspora or minorities as a whole talk about the need for representation and act surprised when our diaspora kids see successful black footballers lacing up for the nations not of their parents birth and choose to do the same. Representation works both ways O.

There is so much I despise about the English, but boy they have got it right when it comes to their national football strategy in the past couple of decades. They are one dynamic manager away from winning WC in my view and it pains me to openly admit this as an ABEG cultist, hence why I’ll continually default to prayers and all faith based measures to thwart it in my own little way the chance of that happening but I digress. It’s no accident that the most exciting names being touted for the immediate future in English football or in recent years are not melanin deficient kids. Football/sports remains unfortunately a disproportionate route for kids of underprivileged demographics to get out of the bottom. Hence the over-representation of black kids at the top.

The English and many of the non-French European nations have grudgingly accepted and now embrace that fact and we are going to lose out to these players the same way the francophone African nations have lost out their top talents in the past. Wait u tip they finally are forced to extend that same ‘courtesy’ to economic/political affairs at the highest level, then we as Africans are truly screwed.

At least football is benign. You no believe me ? Look at Braverman lol.

I think most of us deliberately underestimate how much the Nigerian footballing and national brand has fallen in recent years. We know it we just refuse to acknowledge it the same way we have in other non-footballing spheres.

It has not been helped by our perpetual lack of forward looking football administrators and the increased global competition for players. They are all reflective of our national rot.

Somehow though we have to compete in the global marketplace despite the chains we have shackled ourselves with.

We are not as an attractive a brand compared to our competition for these kids to want to choose us as their default choice.

A then potentially top talent like Iwobi choosing the Eagles was a real coup at the time. There was however the Okocha factor.

This is not quite the 80s where England was more likely to shove a good black player into the B team of relegate them to a meaningful friendly.

The likes of Saka, Welbeck have shown that England will cap you at the highest level consistently if you’re good enough. Heck there was even a match were more than 50% of the lineup were non-white players. That the Tammy Abrahams et al of this world have not had a chance is a reflection of the depth of quality England has not solely because of the silly prejudices in the past.

Even the Germans have gone from a solitary Ghanaian to having excuse the word, non-blonde, non-blue eyed Aryans lacing up from them from as far as the Ottoman Empire to kids of African negroes. Even Naija dey represent Germany.

In footballing terms everyone has seen what the French have consistently done with their immigrant pool over the decades and have taken notice.

As per Maroc, I’m displaying my age, I remember watching the then prince and current King as a guest of honour at Maroc 88 lining up between the Roger Milla’s and Stephen Keshi’s before the final match. The man/nation had been bidding for the WC since the late 80s consistently losing out closely to the US for the 1994 mundial. There is an article on BBC from a few weeks ago on the behind the scene technical team which included an English chap speaking of his experience as part of the Moroccan team at the WC.

So at the leadership level, when was the last football loving leader we had since Aikhomu as IBB’s deputy who was ready to bypass the shenanigans of admistrators to get the teams coaches what they wanted.

Since Westerhof and perhaps Keshi, when was the last coach that was so invested in an outcome for the Eagles. I remember watching Westerhof’s interview when he took a taxi to Kaduna to go watch the then budding Amokachi and almost receiving a query for it. He was the first coach who brought the idea of sponsorship for the Eagles. I remember reading his shock of how a team of Nigeria’s profile did not have skit sponsor. We were basically doing free advertisement for Adidas over the years. As a non-Nigerian, he was that invested, granted they were not solely for altruistic reasons. They did not coin the word Dutchgerian for no reason. Funny Rohr kept being described as Franco-German for all the years he coached us. We see and know these things.

Above all and I am so sorry to have to bring politics into this, I know what the reaction of my 14 year old was when he saw footage of a certain presidential aspirant who will remain nameless. We truly underestimate how much our stock has fallen with the state of our affairs. Imagine that chap becomes our president and this the highest profile Nigerian. Our chief advert. Whatever cool we think have left gets bolted out of the door.

We can’t attract the best or potential best to come lace up for us when they have options that superficially are less likely to give them grief.

Despite these apparent limitations, compete we must.

Next year will be 3 decades since we made our WC bow. We have produced players at the highest levels that should be acting actively as ambassadors not just in name to get these kids to consider lacing up for us.

Much more than that, we have cultural/musical icons who are young enough to be seen as hip enough by ‘our kids’ in diaspora for the FA/footballing administrators to enlist as part of the recruitment process.

It’s less than 4 years to the next big dance, where is the blue print for potential success? Seeing that we do not have a functional league. Our best league teams can not compete against the best on the continent. Painful as it is then, the reality is our likely solution to success means we are going to have look at the resources outside our shores - hence we default back to the best of the diaspora.

Question once again, how do we make the penny actively drop in our favor. It has to be more than don’t play for the big bad wolf England etc because they may give you 2 meaningless caps - the Sterlings, Sakas, Walkers, Welbecks, Ferdinands etc all diaspora kids argue to the contrary. Meanwhile they may just have read stories of a Daniel Alaba not given a chance because of allegations of financial shenanigans on our part.

Unlimited rant and very limited ‘solutions’ provided. It is the Nigerian way and i am Nigerian as they come. So I default to what we all do. I pray for Nigeria.
Last edited by hestonap on Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Those acting as if he was a nobody in October are way off target. He has always been regarded as an elite talent by Arsenal and would have known that an England career was possible in October.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Nigeria has more than enough talent to resort to poaching dual nationals. Local development needs to be revamped and given the highest priority.
Last edited by Sleaky72 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Did the penny drop for Bukayo Saka?
If you are exceptional, they can’t leave you out.
If you’re just as good, then …
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sleaky72 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:32 pm

Did the penny drop for Bukayo Saka?
If you are exceptional, they can’t leave you out.
If you’re just as good, then …
Saka also hedged his bets a little.
He ‘flirted’ with us. I remember the tic-toc or insta video in which he spoke into the camera insisting he was a “Naija boy”. He was still on the rise at the time and hadn’t quite broken through into the Arsenal fist 11.
But you are right about exceptionality.
Problem is, they probably all think they’re exceptional and an England youth call-up will probably convince them they are.
But there are exceptionals and there are exceptions.
They won’t all fit in.
Sadly.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sleaky72 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:30 pm Nigeria has more than enough talent to resort to poaching dual nationals. Local development needs to be revamped and given the highest priority.
Guy, talent is not the issue…
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Sleaky72 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:30 pm Nigeria has more than enough talent to resort to poaching dual nationals. Local development needs to be revamped and given the highest priority.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:11 pm
Guy, talent is not the issue…
:clap: :clap: :clap:
People just DON'T GET IT, it goes beyond just talent cause we have that in abundance, the key factor here is player development from a more scientific perspective of modern football...
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I agree that we need to prioritise local development. However, we do not have different classes of citizenship in Nigeria. Dual nationals are as Nigerian as other Nigerians.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The 🇺🇸 USA is his best option if he wants to play regularly. No way he is getting into Nigeria's 🇳🇬 or England's first 11 as long as Osimhen and Kane stay fit. Even if he tries to "wait out" the soon to be 30 yo Kane, he might be waiting 3-5 years while Rashford, Toney, and Abraham are also in the queue.

Last edited by wiseone on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

wiseone wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:29 am The 🇺🇸 USA is his best option if he wants to play regularly. No way he is getting into Nigeria's 🇳🇬 or England's first 11 as long as Osimhen and Kane stay fit. Even if he tries to "wait out" the soon to be 30 Kane, he might be waiting 3-5 years while Rashford, Toney, and Abraham are also in the queue.

Chai… this is was the perfect chance for Land to cap the boy but Southgate doesn’t seem so high on him yet. I hope he decamps to the USMT. This just shows how far Eze is from getting a call.
OCCUPY NFF!!