Onuachu joins Southampton

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Onuachu joins Southampton

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

gochino wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:25 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:40 pm
gochino wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:56 am
wiseone wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:21 pm By helping to increase the size of his bank balance - which in turn will allow him to look after his family. His occupation is “professional footballer”. He plays football to earn money.

Do you think Ronaldo moved to Saudi Arabia 🇸🇦 because his life ambition was to win the Saudi league title?
gochino wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:16 pm
And how does playing in division 2 help his career?
There we go again! I am talking of a wise footballing decision, you are talking of feeding family and bank account. Would a wiser decision not help his bank account? His contract would have almost ended in june, so the Belgian club would have been forced to lower his price, meaning he would have better offers to choose from. We are talking of a player that was the highest scorer in the whole of Europe! Let's hope a good club will be willing to buy a 31 year old from Southampton if they get relegated, they are dead last at the moment! The amount of super eagles players that will be playing division 2 football next season is alarming!
Why are you inflating his age? He is 29 years old.

He could have stayed at Genk but what happens if he does his cruciate before the end of the season playing for Genk holding out for a better offer?

Some times in life you have to take the opportunities given to you and see where it will take you. If he plays well for Southampton and they get relegated another EPL club will buy him. If he does well it will attract the interest of even bigger clubs.

Clearly everyone could see playing in Belgium was not getting the attention from big clubs even after having a record breaking year in scoring. Going to Southampton is a risk but he needs to test himself against EPL defenders and only then would bigger clubs be interested in his services.
I was referring to next season he will be 30 going to 31

He’s currently 28yrs old. Born in May 1994, he’ll be 28/29yrs next season. That’s his age unless you have better evidence.
https://www.transfermarkt.us/paul-onuac ... ler/272855
OCCUPY NFF!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Why are some harping on his current age when he is no trying to play on an age group team.
People should learn when to start arguments, instead of bring up irrelevances..
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:00 pm
gochino wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:25 pm
Flex Swift wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:40 pm
gochino wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:56 am
wiseone wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:21 pm By helping to increase the size of his bank balance - which in turn will allow him to look after his family. His occupation is “professional footballer”. He plays football to earn money.

Do you think Ronaldo moved to Saudi Arabia 🇸🇦 because his life ambition was to win the Saudi league title?
There we go again! I am talking of a wise footballing decision, you are talking of feeding family and bank account. Would a wiser decision not help his bank account? His contract would have almost ended in june, so the Belgian club would have been forced to lower his price, meaning he would have better offers to choose from. We are talking of a player that was the highest scorer in the whole of Europe! Let's hope a good club will be willing to buy a 31 year old from Southampton if they get relegated, they are dead last at the moment! The amount of super eagles players that will be playing division 2 football next season is alarming!
Why are you inflating his age? He is 29 years old.

He could have stayed at Genk but what happens if he does his cruciate before the end of the season playing for Genk holding out for a better offer?

Some times in life you have to take the opportunities given to you and see where it will take you. If he plays well for Southampton and they get relegated another EPL club will buy him. If he does well it will attract the interest of even bigger clubs.

Clearly everyone could see playing in Belgium was not getting the attention from big clubs even after having a record breaking year in scoring. Going to Southampton is a risk but he needs to test himself against EPL defenders and only then would bigger clubs be interested in his services.
I was referring to next season he will be 30 going to 31

He’s currently 28yrs old. Born in May 1994, he’ll be 28/29yrs next season. That’s his age unless you have better evidence.
https://www.transfermarkt.us/paul-onuac ... ler/272855
At his height there is no way he’s only 28….*ducks and runs away* 😝
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
KIZONZO
Egg
Egg

Post by KIZONZO »

Another good news about this move is also the fact that Onuachu and Aribo will have time to build more chemistry which can be good for the national team!
You never realize what you have till you lose it.
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Congrats Onuachu!

Wish you well.
Peter Obi For President 2023
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I don’t blame him.
GENK DIRECTOR EXPLAINS WHAT PAUL ONUACHU ‘BEGGED’ HIM AFTER SOUTHAMPTON BID
Dan Owen
4 hours ago

KRC Genk director Dimitri de Conde admits Paul Onuachu ‘begged’ him to green-light an £18 million move to Premier League outfit Southampton on the final day of the January transfer window, speaking to Het Nieuwsblad.

Fear not Saints supporters; you can expect to see Onuachu shed blood, sweat and tears for the cause on the banks of the Solent.

The Nigeria international is finally fulfilling his dream of playing Premier League football, and he’s not about to let it go to waste. Onuachu was disappointed to be overlooked by Wolves during the summer of 2022. A year before that, he spoke in similarly frustrated tones as West Ham opted to look elsewhere.

So when Southampton came knocking, Onuachu was not going to let such an opportunity slip through his grasp.

SOUTHAMPTON FOUGHT OFF COMPETITION FOR EVERTON TO SIGN GENK’S PAUL ONUACHU

At 1pm (on deadline day), I had a conversation with a very emotional Paul,” De Conde recalls. “He felt his dream slip away again. ‘Please, let me go. This could be my very last chance’, he begged.

GENK BOSS ADMITS PAUL ONUACHU IS A 'GREAT LOSS' WITH £18M SOUTHAMPTON DEAL DONE
LUCAS JOAO LINK SHOWS EVERTON DESPERATION AS SOUTHAMPTON STRIKE £18M DEAL
“I had to make it clear to him that there were two conditions under which the deal could succeed. One; the numbers had to be correct. And, two; we had to be able to bring in a replacement.

“I had already had a conversation about it with coach Wouter Vrancken in the morning. At a certain point, you can no longer say ‘no’ on a human level, Wouter agreed. Especially because certain promises were made.”

Onuachu, now the tallest player in the Premier League at 6ft 7ins, sets Southampton back an eye-watering £18 million. He can repay that investment with interest, however, by firing Nathan Jones’ side to safety.

According to FootMercato, an increasingly-desperate Everton made a late attempt to snatch Onuachu from under Southampton’s noses. But, with funds tight at Goodison Park, the Saints were always in control the situation.

The hope will be that Onuachu, who won Belgium’s Golden Boot and Player of the Year award back in 2021, can form a formidable understanding with fellow new recruits James Bree, Mislav Orsic, Kamaldeen Sulemana and Carlos Alcaraz.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/02/03/g ... mpton-bid/
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

People do not seem to understand that late 20s is a player's "last big contract" as they say. Once they get over 30, they must look over their shoulder for new young players trying to take their place in the team, and make do with short-term 1-2 year contracts because elite teams do not want to take a risk on a 30-something year old who is carrying battle scars and shrapnel, slowing down, and whose on-field output is decreasing.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Onuachu gets the Southampton no 12 shirt but won’t start vs Brentford today due to work permit papers still being finalized.
Lots of pressure on him because Southampton have been a low scoring side and are rock bottom.
This is his chance and mighty kudos to him for really wanting to face the challenge.
Good luck.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:31 am Onuachu gets the Southampton no 12 shirt but won’t start vs Brentford today due to work permit papers still being finalized.
Lots of pressure on him because Southampton have been a low scoring side and are rock bottom.
This is his chance and mighty kudos to him for really wanting to face the challenge.
Good luck.
i know deep down inside of you , you are pretty upset he wasn't a UK born prospect of a player. You are also upset Genk chose to sign another Nigerian not from the UK....... according to your messed up views, only UK born Nigerians are good enough.. shame no catch you? please do us all a favor and take some time off CE. You offer nothing but derailment of threads
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:11 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:31 am Onuachu gets the Southampton no 12 shirt but won’t start vs Brentford today due to work permit papers still being finalized.
Good luck.
i know deep down inside of you , you are pretty upset he wasn't a UK born prospect of player. You are also upset Genk chose to sign another Nigerian not from the UK....... according to your messed up views, only UK born Nigerians are good enough.. shame no catch you? please do us all a favor and take some time off CE. You offer nothing but derailment of threads
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Such petty minds.
But what can we do?
You can’t change yourself. :oops:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:53 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:11 pm
Good luck.
i know deep down inside of you , you are pretty upset he wasn't a UK born prospect of player. You are also upset Genk chose to sign another Nigerian not from the UK....... according to your messed up views, only UK born Nigerians are good enough.. shame no catch you? please do us all a favor and take some time off CE. You offer nothing but derailment of threads
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Such petty minds.
But what can we do?
You can’t change yourself. :oops:
go away, no one wants you here
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Is Southampton playing today?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

1naija wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:22 pm Is Southampton playing today?
Yeah, they are Onuachu is on the bench
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:clap: :clap:

gochino wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:43 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:22 pm Is Southampton playing today?
Yeah, they are Onuachu is on the bench
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 pm Finally, an English club in need of a striker makes a logical decision. Would have preferred Everton but this is good too

First game he starts, he will score
Will say it again. First game he starts, he will score
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:02 am
gochino wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:56 amThere we go again! I am talking of a wise footballing decision, you are talking of feeding family and bank account. Would a wiser decision not help his bank account? His contract would have almost ended in june, so the Belgian club would have been forced to lower his price, meaning he would have better offers to choose from. We are talking of a player that was the highest scorer in the whole of Europe! Let's hope a good club will be willing to buy a 31 year old from Southampton if they get relegated, they are dead last at the moment! The amount of super eagles players that will be playing division 2 football next season is alarming!
As fans our interests should be in the sporting decisions made by our players and not personal decisions which should be of no interest to us!
Exactly! Because there’s no relationship between both…oh wait

It’s not like he had the option of signing with Barca or Real Madrid, or perhaps turned down Man City for Southampton. Dude has a chance to leave Belgium on the last day of the transfer window to move to a better league for more money, and folks sit their fat behinds in the folds of their couch to criticize his “sporting decisions”! SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:45 pm

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
EPL’s tallest player, Onuachu, relishing Premier League physicality

By Guardian Editor
08 February 2023 | 3:24 am

Paul Onuachu

Paul Onuachu believes his physicality is perfectly suited to the Premier League, as Southampton’s deadline-day signing sets his sights on making his mark on Saints’ season, reports southamptonfc.com.

The 28-year-old striker, who stands at 6ft 7in, reportedly became the league’s tallest player after signing a three-and-a-half-year deal at St Mary’s.

Onuachu, who made his debut at Brentford on Saturday, scored 85 goals in 134 appearances for former club KRC Genk in Belgium – many of them headers.

Now, he hopes to use his size to get on the end of crosses in the Premier League, including James Ward-Prowse’s legendary set-pieces, to add to his impressive return of 17 goals so far this season.

“I think it had to be now or never,” Onuachu said of his dream move to England. “I think I’m at the right age and I think I had to take this challenge and test myself, to impact my team. Hopefully we do something great together.

“It’s a decision I took because coming to Southampton and playing in the Premier League, the best league in the world, I’m coming to really impact my own team – it’s something big for me in my career.

“I have always followed the Premier League, watching it week in week out, seeing the games. It’s a whole different ball game, the intensity, the duels.

“Every player dreams of playing in the Premier League, and of course I’m happy to be here. I think I have the physique, I have the height, I have the size. Let the battle begin.

“Of course it helps a lot, having this height. I’m in there with my height to make a difference in the box, so I think that’s why God gave me this height! If I have the right balls in the box, of course you can see my height will tell.

“James (Ward-Prowse) is one of the best in the league with his service and his kick, of course, I’m happy to be coming here with someone like him. I think it’s going to really help the team and me a lot.”

The Nigeria international is not shying away from the task facing his new club in pursuit of Premier League survival.

“I’m very motivated, it’s a huge challenge,” he added. “Coming here we are last on the table and everybody is working to really try to leave the relegation zone.

“It’s a huge challenge, not just for me but for everybody in the team. I’m going to give it all if I have the chance to play, and try to help the team to survive.”

https://guardian.ng/sport/epls-tallest- ... ysicality/
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Gotti wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:31 am
Dammy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:02 am
gochino wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:56 amThere we go again! I am talking of a wise footballing decision, you are talking of feeding family and bank account. Would a wiser decision not help his bank account? His contract would have almost ended in june, so the Belgian club would have been forced to lower his price, meaning he would have better offers to choose from. We are talking of a player that was the highest scorer in the whole of Europe! Let's hope a good club will be willing to buy a 31 year old from Southampton if they get relegated, they are dead last at the moment! The amount of super eagles players that will be playing division 2 football next season is alarming!
As fans our interests should be in the sporting decisions made by our players and not personal decisions which should be of no interest to us!
Exactly! Because there’s no relationship between both…oh wait

It’s not like he had the option of signing with Barca or Real Madrid, or perhaps turned down Man City for Southampton. Dude has a chance to leave Belgium on the last day of the transfer window to move to a better league for more money, and folks sit their fat behinds in the folds of their couch to criticize his “sporting decisions”! SMH
Dude what do u know about his financial situation??....Let's focus on what is visible to us. Looking at how Southampton is playing, they are likely going to be relegated. In june, he would have had the option of moving to a club in the EPL that is not fighting a relegation battle, read what I wrote about his contract, everyone is free to have his opinion.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

🤦🏽
Well done for jinxing him.
deanotito wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:22 pm
deanotito wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 pm Finally, an English club in need of a striker makes a logical decision. Would have preferred Everton but this is good too

First game he starts, he will score
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

5 games and 0 games later…

:rotf:
deanotito wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:22 pm

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Is he injured? He didn’t even make the bench against Spurs.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

1naija wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:48 pm Is he injured? He didn’t even make the bench against Spurs.
he is on the bench my good man
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.