Onuachu joins Southampton

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Onuachu joins Southampton

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:42 pm
Damunk wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:20 am
Sunset wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:14 am
Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:47 pm
wiseone wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:10 pm I monitored Onuachu's performance after he came on as a sub in that epic 3-3 draw at Arsenal.

Onuachu is best used as a "Plan B" striker who comes on in the last 20-30 minutes of a game when his team is either chasing the game and needs to go "route 1", or his team is defending a narrow lead, is being bombarded with set pieces and long balls, and needs someone good in the air to repel the aerial bombardment.

He is not mobile or fast enough to start games for a team that keeps the ball on the deck.
So the Big Question is…..how did he manage to keep nacking all those goals in Belgium?
Chief Enugu II would like us to believe that ‘levels’ is a myth.
I understand you're trying to reinforce your agenda wrt Onuachu but lets be reasonable here, 3 months is nowhere near enough time to be judging any pro players capabilities
Lets use words responsibly.
‘Agenda’: discuss.
If you are trying to cancel the obvious question, aren’t you the one with the agenda? :rotf:
Its not an obvious question but rather a silly question to be asking at this point (3 months in) which is my issue. Of course the Belgian league is weaker than the PL so logically a player is more likely to score more goals there. Too bad football isn't that linear, take Emmanuel Dennis for example who scored 10 goals in his debut PL season something he could never manage in his 4 seasons in Belgium.
Should we also be asking why he wasn't "nacking" a buch of goals during his time in Belgium?
Friend, nobody is even remotely expecting Onuachu to nack EPL goals at the same rate he was doing it in Belgium. That argument would be silly.
But the point is that he Is almost permanently warming the bench in a club that needs goals desperately. You are conveniently ignoring that key fact. He was bought mid season to score goals and help them fight relegation and not as a prospect for the future.
Mid season purchases are made very strategically for reinforcement, and for struggling teams it would be stupid to go for players that are not expected to hit the ground running. Southampton barely have 5 games left this season and you truly believe it is unreasonable (you actually said “silly”) to expect Onuachu to have started to pay back their investment in him three months later.
Even Ighalo moving from the retirement Chinese league to top club Man U didn’t take up to one month to start nacking in goals for them.

Guy, you are making excuses but facts are facts. Southampton didnt buy him in January to find his feet after the season is over. To use your own words, that’s silly.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Errrm, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this a different position than we took with Awoniyi when he initially joined NF?
He too was benched for non-performance despite scoring goals in Bundesliga, abi? In fact, people who took similar position as yours below with Awoniyi were accused of having an agenda. Hmmmm!

Damunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:48 am
Its not an obvious question but rather a silly question to be asking at this point (3 months in) which is my issue. Of course the Belgian league is weaker than the PL so logically a player is more likely to score more goals there. Too bad football isn't that linear, take Emmanuel Dennis for example who scored 10 goals in his debut PL season something he could never manage in his 4 seasons in Belgium.
Should we also be asking why he wasn't "nacking" a buch of goals during his time in Belgium?
Friend, nobody is even remotely expecting Onuachu to nack EPL goals at the same rate he was doing it in Belgium. That argument would be silly.
But the point is that he Is almost permanently warming the bench in a club that needs goals desperately. You are conveniently ignoring that key fact. He was bought mid season to score goals and help them fight relegation and not as a prospect for the future.
Mid season purchases are made very strategically for reinforcement, and for struggling teams it would be stupid to go for players that are not expected to hit the ground running. Southampton barely have 5 games left this season and you truly believe it is unreasonable (you actually said “silly”) to expect Onuachu to have started to pay back their investment in him three months later.
Even Ighalo moving from the retirement Chinese league to top club Man U didn’t take up to one month to start nacking in goals for them.

Guy, you are making excuses but facts are facts. Southampton didnt buy him in January to find his feet after the season is over. To use your own words, that’s silly.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

First, you were not accused of having an agenda based on his NF stats.
Your own campaign started from the AFCON, remember? That was in Jan’22, a whole 8 months before his NF career started. You simply continued your campaign into his new season.

Regarding his NF career, I will not disagree that he hasn’t exactly set the league alight with goals, but the slight difference is that he is getting game time. He has also been injured which kept him out for a while.
He can do much better.
The problem is Onuachu isn’t even getting game time and there is no time left.
If you can’t see the difference, you might need to go to Specsavers.

But since you say you were making the same case against Awoniyi, for the record, what are you now saying about Onuachu?
Hmmmm!!!
1naija wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:42 pm Errrm, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this a different position than we took with Awoniyi when he initially joined NF?
He too was benched for non-performance despite scoring goals in Bundesliga, abi? In fact, people who took similar position as yours below with Awoniyi were accused of having an agenda. Hmmmm!
Damunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:48 am Friend, nobody is even remotely expecting Onuachu to nack EPL goals at the same rate he was doing it in Belgium. That argument would be silly.

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

wiseone wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:10 pm I monitored Onuachu's performance after he came on as a sub in that epic 3-3 draw at Arsenal.

Onuachu is best used as a "Plan B" striker who comes on in the last 20-30 minutes of a game when his team is either chasing the game and needs to go "route 1", or his team is defending a narrow lead, is being bombarded with set pieces and long balls, and needs someone good in the air to repel the aerial bombardment.

He is not mobile or fast enough to start games for a team that keeps the ball on the deck.
So the Big Question is…..how did he manage to keep nacking all those goals in Belgium?
I understand you're trying to reinforce your agenda wrt Onuachu but lets be reasonable here, 3 months is nowhere near enough time to be judging any pro players capabilities
If you are trying to cancel the obvious question, aren’t you the one with the agenda? :rotf:

There was nothing strategic in Southamptons acquisition of Onuachu, if it were they wouldnt have waited till transfer deadline day to sign him that was IMO the first red flag, sometimes you should read between the lines with these things and stop jumping to conclusions.

What I said was "silly" FYI was your initial question that's quoted above.

And you talk about Ighalo joining Man U in January, yet he didn't score a single goal in the PL. So what are we talking about here?

If you see the context of his situation as an "excuse" then it says a lot about your agenda and is very VE-ish to be honest. No disrespect intended, simply how I see it here
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:30 am

There was nothing strategic in Southamptons acquisition of Onuachu, if it were they wouldnt have waited till transfer deadline day to sign him that was IMO the first red flag, sometimes you should read between the lines with these things and stop jumping to conclusions.

And you talk about Ighalo joining Man U in January, yet he didn't score a single goal in the PL. So what are we talking about here?

If you see the context of his situation as an "excuse" then it says a lot about your agenda and is very VE-ish to be honest. No disrespect intended, simply how I see it here
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but it’s a little arrogant of you to try and denigrate a different opinion just to enable yours.
That’s the problem with this place.
Everyone sees a different perspective as an affront on their person. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You can choose to bury your head in the sand and even convince yourself I have an “agenda”- whatever that means and whatever you think it might be.
But that is just you refusing to see any other POV than your own.

Go to the Southampton fans’ site.
There are those that hold your view and those that hold mine. It doesn’t make them “silly”.
Because someone is giving you all due respect does not mean that your argument is solid, or even holds water.
Just try and agree to disagree without trying to act like say na you get sense pass.
:lol:

By the way, you might want to consider other reasons why they waited until transfer deadline before they concluded the Onuachu deal.
I can think of several, but you are convinced it was because there was “nothing strategic” about their move.
Funny logic, but kindly enlighten us.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:56 am

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but it’s a little arrogant of you to try and denigrate a different opinion just to enable yours.
Everyone sees a different perspective as an affront on their person. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You can choose to bury your head in the sand and even convince yourself I have an “agenda”- whatever that means and whatever you think it might be.

There are those that hold your view and those that hold mine. It doesn’t make them “silly”.
Because someone is giving you all due respect does not mean that your argument is solid, or even holds water.
Just try and agree to disagree without trying to act like say na you get sense pass.

By the way, you might want to consider other reasons why they waited until transfer deadline before they concluded the Onuachu deal.
I can think of several, but you are convinced it was because there was “nothing strategic” about their move.
Now i'm calling you "silly"? the quote is right there but you somehow manage to misquote me, what's up with that? And I don't have to convince myself about anything, it's all over the forum for all to see. And if me asking you to be "reasonable" is arrogant I don't know what to tell you :oops:

I just find it weird that people can expend so much energy on players they don't rate, I've followed football for too long to fall for such impulsive ways of thinking but I guess its to each their own.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sunset wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:16 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:56 am

Now i'm calling you "silly"? the quote is right there but you somehow manage to misquote me, what's up with that? And I don't have to convince myself about anything, it's all over the forum for all to see. And if me asking you to be "reasonable" is arrogant I don't know what to tell you :oops:

I just find it weird that people can expend so much energy on players they don't rate, I've followed football for too long to fall for such impulsive ways of thinking but I guess its to each their own.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
It’s okay nah.
Let’s agree to disagree.
Nuttin spoil….but I’d still like to know what my “agenda” is. :taunt:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Both of them have been poor as strikers in the EPL, and Awoniyi has been ever poorer for Nigeria with one accidental goal in over 300 minutes as a Super Eagles. There is no agenda in stating what's obvious. Its denying or making excuses for the obious for one player and calling out another player in the same boat that we have to ask why for.

Having an agenda would be saying Moffi or Osimhen has been horrible despite their statistics that says otherwise..
Damunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:24 pm First, you were not accused of having an agenda based on his NF stats.
Your own campaign started from the AFCON, remember? That was in Jan’22, a whole 8 months before his NF career started. You simply continued your campaign into his new season.

Regarding his NF career, I will not disagree that he hasn’t exactly set the league alight with goals, but the slight difference is that he is getting game time. He has also been injured which kept him out for a while.
He can do much better.

But since you say you were making the same case against Awoniyi, for the record, what are you now saying about Onuachu?
Hmmmm!!!
1naija wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:42 pm Errrm, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this a different position than we took with Awoniyi when he initially joined NF?
Damunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:48 am Friend, nobody is even remotely expecting Onuachu to nack EPL goals at the same rate he was doing it in Belgium. That argument would be silly.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The reference is club form.
So you agree Onuachu has been poor?
Since you have no “agenda”, pls help me to inform Sunset.

As for Awoniyi, me and you have not exchanged views on him since maybe September last year.
That was 7+ months ago.
Maybe even earlier, before he got injured.
And I placed him 5th in line for the SE back in October.
Don’t conflagrate issues. It’s all in your head, as usual. :rotf:
1naija wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:56 pm Both of them have been poor as strikers in the EPL, and Awoniyi has been ever poorer for Nigeria with one accidental goal in over 300 minutes as a Super Eagles. There is no agenda in stating what's obvious. It’s denying or making excuses for the obious for one player and calling out another player in the same boat that we have to ask why for.

Having an agenda would be saying Moffi or Osimhen has been horrible despite their statistics that says otherwise..
Damunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:24 pm First, you were not accused of having an agenda based on his NF stats.

He can do much better.

Hmmmm!!!

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Do a search for your posts on Awoniyi and see it for yourself. Whom did you place him 5th above? What was the basis of placing him 5th if his club and international records at the time did not support such position?
Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:25 pm The reference is club form.

As for Awoniyi, me and you have not exchanged views on him since maybe September last year.
That was 7+ months ago.
1naija wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:56 pm Both of them have been poor as strikers in the EPL, and Awoniyi has been ever poorer for Nigeria with one accidental goal in over 300 minutes as a Super Eagles. There is no agenda in stating what's obvious. It’s denying or making excuses for the obious for one player and calling out another player in the same boat that we have to ask why for.

He can do much better.

Hmmmm!!!

Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Looks like Southampton have been relegated today and Onuachu wasn’t on the bench and did play.

He arrived in Jan and started 2 maybe 3 league games. Dropping him did not result in team getting better results. Hopefully he moves to another club.

Aribo also wasn’t on the bench and didn’t play. It is very difficult for a player when the coach that brought you is sacked and the new coach doesn’t fancy you. It doesn’t make a bad player.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Flex Swift wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:43 pm Looks like Southampton have been relegated today and Onuachu wasn’t on the bench and did play.

He arrived in Jan and started 2 maybe 3 league games. Dropping him did not result in team getting better results. Hopefully he moves to another club.

Aribo also wasn’t on the bench and didn’t play. It is very difficult for a player when the coach that brought you is sacked and the new coach doesn’t fancy you. It doesn’t make a bad player.
Your poor client :taunt: we warned una sha…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Flex Swift wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:43 pm Looks like Southampton have been relegated today and Onuachu wasn’t on the bench and did play.

Dude, lets be honest,he has been a massive disappointment! He hasn't scored a goal in three months! He has not even looked like a threat in the few games he has played
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Man, this was a disaster of a move. I was totally wrong here.

I still think Onuachu can work in the EPL, but he needs time.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

You like argument sha.
What are you now debating and why?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
1naija wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:36 am Do a search for your posts on Awoniyi and see it for yourself. Whom did you place him 5th above? What was the basis of placing him 5th if his club and international records at the time did not support such position?
Damunk wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:25 pm The reference is club form.

That was 7+ months ago.

He can do much better.

Hmmmm!!!

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If we look for a silver lining/clutch at straws, if Southampton gets relegated, the club will look to sell first team players in order to reduce its costs snd cushion the financial blow of relegation.

If so, Onuachu might be in the shop window and have a chance to restart his career elsewhere.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:51 pm Man, this was a disaster of a move. I was totally wrong here.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: In his first start he will...hehehe just teasing...He's not good enough, and worse yet they didn't even try to play to his so called 'strength'...But anyway make e chop their money sha...like our other boy Awo... :twisted:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

wiseone wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:44 pm If we look for a silver lining/clutch at straws, if Southampton gets relegated, the club will look to sell first team players in order to reduce its costs snd cushion the financial blow of relegation.

If so, Onuachu might be in the shop window and have a chance to restart his career elsewhere.
Or he might set the championship on fire if they play to his strength. Some players just can’t hack it in the EPL.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:46 am
deanotito wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:51 pm Man, this was a disaster of a move. I was totally wrong here.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: In his first start he will...hehehe just teasing...He's not good enough, and worse yet they didn't even try to play to his so called 'strength'...But anyway make e chop their money sha...like our other boy Awo... :twisted:
Omoh…. Make we no even talk am.

I still think Onuachu is better than most EPL strikers in the bottom half of the league but man, c’est pa disaster
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

wiseone wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:44 pm If we look for a silver lining/clutch at straws, if Southampton gets relegated, the club will look to sell first team players in order to reduce its costs snd cushion the financial blow of relegation.

So who will buy him? Maybe another 2nd div club in England, we are talking of a guy that in his prime, could only get a move to a relegation club. Like I said at the beginning of this thread this has to be one of the dumbest decisions a super eagles has ever made ( footballwise).
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

1naija wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:56 pm Both of them have been poor as strikers in the EPL, and Awoniyi has been ever poorer for Nigeria with one accidental goal in over 300 minutes as a Super Eagles. There is no agenda in stating what's obvious. Its denying or making excuses for the obious for one player and calling out another player in the same boat that we have to ask why for.

Ahem Guy .. in Osimhens last 300 minutes in an eagles shirt how many goals has he scored from open play ?

And please dont count Sao Tome and Principe .. Even Okrika Grammar School , your secondary school team would probably beat those guys

Point is Big and Tall Strikers of the Onuachu and Awoniyi Mold are only as good as the service they receive from their teammates so its unfair to write them off yet.

OTOH strikers like Moffi , Odemwingie, Ikpeba are not purchased for their size but for their versatility as in you could stick them on the wings as well as the center or anywhere because they are more reliant on pace and wizardry

Long and short of it these clubs knew what they were buying and their failure to produce is almost entirely due to poor quality service IMHO
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Osimhem is already a starter for the SE and has proven himself as such. If you want list top 2 strikers for the SE today, Osimhen will be the first on your list because you know he has proven himself. At the time in question, Awoniyi was trying to win the last striker spot on the team. His competition for the spot at the time were Sadiq, Onuachu, Dessers, Dennis, Moffi, and Olayinka. He could not afford to go 300 minutes without scoring, and that's exactly why he didn't get subsequent invitations. You can't be striker and not score goals.
BAP wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:37 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:56 pm Both of them have been poor as strikers in the EPL, and Awoniyi has been ever poorer for Nigeria with one accidental goal in over 300 minutes as a Super Eagles. There is no agenda in stating what's obvious. Its denying or making excuses for the obious for one player and calling out another player in the same boat that we have to ask why for.

Ahem Guy .. in Osimhens last 300 minutes in an eagles shirt how many goals has he scored from open play ?

And please dont count Sao Tome and Principe .. Even Okrika Grammar School , your secondary school team would probably beat those guys

Point is Big and Tall Strikers of the Onuachu and Awoniyi Mold are only as good as the service they receive from their teammates so its unfair to write them off yet.

OTOH strikers like Moffi , Odemwingie, Ikpeba are not purchased for their size but for their versatility as in you could stick them on the wings as well as the center or anywhere because they are more reliant on pace and wizardry

Long and short of it these clubs knew what they were buying and their failure to produce is almost entirely due to poor quality service IMHO
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

1naija wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:31 pm Osimhem is already a starter for the SE and has proven himself as such. If you want list top 2 strikers for the SE today, Osimhen will be the first on your list because you know he has proven himself. At the time in question, Awoniyi was trying to win the last striker spot on the team. His competition for the spot at the time were Sadiq, Onuachu, Dessers, Dennis, Moffi, and Olayinka. He could not afford to go 300 minutes without scoring, and that's exactly why he didn't get subsequent invitations. You can't be striker and not score goals.
BAP wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:37 pm

Osimhen has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself the other two havent been afforded that luxury and Onuachu has had a few moments of brilliance to be frank

Long and short of it if the system was built around them and others played to their strengths they would prove themselves quite capable.

Dont get me wrong I belive Osimhen is by far our best striker since he is a mixture of The traditional big tall number nine blended with the versatility and work rate of smaller strikers . Nonetheless methinks you are being unfair to the other two