Chuba Akpom

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chuba Akpom

Post by vancity eagle »

I just watch this video.

Pay attention to how deep he often operates. The guy is skillfully and has an eye for a pass.

I think he can play AM for us. It should be tried out immediately and move Iwobi to CM to be paired with a DM of either Ndidi, Onyedika, Onyeka.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:23 pm [
This is our AM
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:26 pm
This is our AM
Reminds me of Dennis with a little better decision making and finishing…but would it translate to the EPL that Dennis performed at (and yet was still sh1t for SE)?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

This is our AM
I’ve got to confess it is hard to ignore this as a real possibility.
I wasn’t convinced he could play as an AM until seeing this video.
What’s more he is bigger and stronger than I thought, yet quite nimble and foot-sure.
He also seems to win lots of fouls.

But, but, but……can he do it at the highest level and for the SE?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:30 pm
This is our AM
I’ve got to confess it is hard to ignore this as a real possibility.
I wasn’t convinced he could play as an AM until seeing this video.
What’s more he is bigger than I thought yet quite nimble and foot-sure.

But, but, but……can he do it at the highest level and for the SE?
if you people want to pass him over as an AM , how many chances has he created .
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Akpom seems like he’s one of those late bloomers.
Considering how he has been playing position ally this season under Carrick, it shouldn’t be too hard to use him as an AM if he proves good enough.
I’m sure Onyedika, Alhassan Yusuf and Onyeka would beg to differ…
How Chuba Akpom is thriving in a deeper role for Middlesbrough

Akpom has dropped deep to impact play under Middlesbrough boss Carrick

So go on, who had Chuba Akpom as their tip for Championship top scorer and perhaps player of the season? If you said you did, you’re lying.

A search of the bookmakers reveals the Nigerian forward was 100-1 to win the Golden Boot but here we are, in mid-March, with Akpom romping home with 22 goals in 29 appearances.

That’s five clear of next-best Viktor Gyokeres of Coventry - with an average of 105 minutes per goal and his haul coming from just 58 shots.
His goals, coupled with some inspired management from Michael Carrick and flourishing stars across the pitch, has got Middlesbrough to within touching distance of the top two.

So if you feel you missed the boat with Akpom at 100-1, why not take a punt on Boro to pip Sheffield United to the top two? With 30 points to play for and just four points separating them, would you really bet against in-form Boro to make a late charge?

Middlesbrough forward Chuba Akpom has dropped deep to impact play under Michael Carrick
+5
View gallery
Middlesbrough forward Chuba Akpom has dropped deep to impact play under Michael Carrick

Akpom played 97 per cent of minutes at PAOK in the centre-forward role but that has decreased to 48 per cent this term

His touch map from the 3-1 win at Swansea shows he is much more than a traditional striker

Anyway, back to Akpom. A graduate of Arsenal’s Hale End academy, the forward never lived up to his potential in north London. Across loans with Brentford, Coventry, Nottingham Forest, Hull, Brighton and Sint-Truiden in Belgium, he managed just 13 goals in 85 games.

It wasn’t until his stint in Greece that the striker started to feel at home. Playing in Thessaloniki with PAOK, Akpom matured as a player and won a Super League and Greek Cup double.

Even this season, though, Akpom was in football purgatory, unfancied under then-Boro boss Chris Wilder. Noting all that, his rise in the last six months has been incredible.

Looking at his touch map from Boro’s 3-1 win at Swansea on Saturday - in which Akpom scored a penalty - it is clear he is much more than a traditional striker.

He dropped deep to impact play, as he has all season under Carrick. Cameron Archer can lead the line, with Akpom playing as No 10 in between Riley McGree and Aaron Ramsey.

Behind that triumvirate is a formidable midfield duo. Ageless Jonny Howson - now 34 and with nearly 700 career appearances under his belt - perfectly complements one of the division’s brightest young stars Hayden Hackney, 20.

Moving a players’ positional tasks deeper would often see their attacking output decrease but Akpom has done the opposite. Not needing to lead the line has taken a weight off his shoulders, allowing him to find pockets of space and help team-mates run past him.

Last season, he played 97 per cent of minutes at PAOK in the centre-forward role but that has decreased to 48 per cent this term, with over half of his time spent in the deeper position.

Using Delphlyx’s data, we can see Akpom’s stats as a comparison with the rest of players in the division. The further out the graph goes, the better he is when compared to other players.

In the graphic above, we can see his expected goals (xG) of 0.57 per game is by far the best in the league. In terms of his passing stats and offensive duels won, he is in the top half in the Championship. Off the ball and creatively, there is work to be done.

Akpom, who is yet to receive an international call-up, faces big competition at Nigeria. Victor Osimhen is Serie A’s top scorer with 19 goals at Napoli while Atalanta’s Ademola Lookman is third-highest in Italy. In France, only two men have more goals than Reims’ Folarin Balogun in Ligue 1. Josh Maja is also on form for Bordeaux and Paul Onuachu is the second-highest scorer in Belgium this season.

It’s also worth noting that Akpom is the leading goal-scorer in England’s top four tiers in 2023 with 10 goals, and recently became the first Middlesbrough player to score 20 or more goals in one season since Fabrizio Ravanelli in 1996-97.

Overall, the numbers are looking good for Akpom. If he continues scoring at his rate of 0.75 goals per game, the Nigerian would be nearing the 30-goal mark which has only been hit three times in Championship history: Aleksandar Mitrovic (43, 2021-22), Ivan Toney (31, 2020-21) and Glenn Murray (30, 2012-13).

Saying this though, there’s only one number that matters. And that’s overturning the four points needed to catch up with Sheffield United.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... owler.html
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

His position switch to AM under Carrick and his success thereof was pretty obvious from the start.
The competition is indeed there (per Nigeria), but its not insurmountable for him - his high level of maturity will likely be a positive for him. For me, he understands the requirements of the role much better than all the other candidates available - including Iheanacho.
Looking forward to Chuba Akpom and Nathan Tella being a part of the SE squad.
Damunk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:13 pm Akpom seems like he’s one of those late bloomers.
Considering how he has been playing position ally this season under Carrick, it shouldn’t be too hard to use him as an AM if he proves good enough.
I’m sure Onyedika, Alhassan Yusuf and Onyeka would beg to differ…
How Chuba Akpom is thriving in a deeper role for Middlesbrough

Akpom has dropped deep to impact play under Middlesbrough boss Carrick

So go on, who had Chuba Akpom as their tip for Championship top scorer and perhaps player of the season? If you said you did, you’re lying.

A search of the bookmakers reveals the Nigerian forward was 100-1 to win the Golden Boot but here we are, in mid-March, with Akpom romping home with 22 goals in 29 appearances.

That’s five clear of next-best Viktor Gyokeres of Coventry - with an average of 105 minutes per goal and his haul coming from just 58 shots.
His goals, coupled with some inspired management from Michael Carrick and flourishing stars across the pitch, has got Middlesbrough to within touching distance of the top two.

So if you feel you missed the boat with Akpom at 100-1, why not take a punt on Boro to pip Sheffield United to the top two? With 30 points to play for and just four points separating them, would you really bet against in-form Boro to make a late charge?

+5
View gallery

Akpom played 97 per cent of minutes at PAOK in the centre-forward role but that has decreased to 48 per cent this term

His touch map from the 3-1 win at Swansea shows he is much more than a traditional striker

Anyway, back to Akpom. A graduate of Arsenal’s Hale End academy, the forward never lived up to his potential in north London. Across loans with Brentford, Coventry, Nottingham Forest, Hull, Brighton and Sint-Truiden in Belgium, he managed just 13 goals in 85 games.

It wasn’t until his stint in Greece that the striker started to feel at home. Playing in Thessaloniki with PAOK, Akpom matured as a player and won a Super League and Greek Cup double.

Even this season, though, Akpom was in football purgatory, unfancied under then-Boro boss Chris Wilder. Noting all that, his rise in the last six months has been incredible.

Looking at his touch map from Boro’s 3-1 win at Swansea on Saturday - in which Akpom scored a penalty - it is clear he is much more than a traditional striker.

He dropped deep to impact play, as he has all season under Carrick. Cameron Archer can lead the line, with Akpom playing as No 10 in between Riley McGree and Aaron Ramsey.

Behind that triumvirate is a formidable midfield duo. Ageless Jonny Howson - now 34 and with nearly 700 career appearances under his belt - perfectly complements one of the division’s brightest young stars Hayden Hackney, 20.

Moving a players’ positional tasks deeper would often see their attacking output decrease but Akpom has done the opposite. Not needing to lead the line has taken a weight off his shoulders, allowing him to find pockets of space and help team-mates run past him.

Last season, he played 97 per cent of minutes at PAOK in the centre-forward role but that has decreased to 48 per cent this term, with over half of his time spent in the deeper position.

Using Delphlyx’s data, we can see Akpom’s stats as a comparison with the rest of players in the division. The further out the graph goes, the better he is when compared to other players.

In the graphic above, we can see his expected goals (xG) of 0.57 per game is by far the best in the league. In terms of his passing stats and offensive duels won, he is in the top half in the Championship. Off the ball and creatively, there is work to be done.

Akpom, who is yet to receive an international call-up, faces big competition at Nigeria. Victor Osimhen is Serie A’s top scorer with 19 goals at Napoli while Atalanta’s Ademola Lookman is third-highest in Italy. In France, only two men have more goals than Reims’ Folarin Balogun in Ligue 1. Josh Maja is also on form for Bordeaux and Paul Onuachu is the second-highest scorer in Belgium this season.

It’s also worth noting that Akpom is the leading goal-scorer in England’s top four tiers in 2023 with 10 goals, and recently became the first Middlesbrough player to score 20 or more goals in one season since Fabrizio Ravanelli in 1996-97.

Overall, the numbers are looking good for Akpom. If he continues scoring at his rate of 0.75 goals per game, the Nigerian would be nearing the 30-goal mark which has only been hit three times in Championship history: Aleksandar Mitrovic (43, 2021-22), Ivan Toney (31, 2020-21) and Glenn Murray (30, 2012-13).

Saying this though, there’s only one number that matters. And that’s overturning the four points needed to catch up with Sheffield United.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... owler.html
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Another game, another goal for Chuba.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ahmed Musa

0 goals 0 assists 0 brain
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 pm Another game, another goal for Chuba.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Aston Villa loanee Cameron Archer has scored six goals in his last eight appearances for Middlesbrough
SuperEagles

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:11 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 pm Another game, another goal for Chuba.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Aston Villa loanee Cameron Archer has scored six goals in his last eight appearances for Middlesbrough
Is Cameron Archer eligible to play for Nigeria? If not, sharraaap!
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:17 pm

google is your friend
SuperEagles

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:19 pm

google is your friend
You're so stupid it's funny.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:39 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:19 pm

google is your friend
You're so stupid it's funny.
aww getting sensitive eh?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
SuperEagles

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:28 pm aww getting sensitive eh?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sensitive to your stupidity? Yes. :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Well done, Chuba :clap: :clap:

danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:48 pm Well done, Chuba :clap: :clap:

:clap:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Congrats! He's definitely in line for an England call. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:21 pm Congrats! He's definitely in line for an England call. :clap: :clap: :clap:
No he's not :biggrin: