Why do Nigerians think the solution to Oshoala is to harass her?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why do Nigerians think the solution to Oshoala is to harass her?

Post by Tbite »

Have you guys seen the Nigerians on social media. They are harassing her and only pointing out negatives EVEN when there are MORE positives on display.

Look no matter what reservations you have about her contributions in the Falcons, harassing the lady is NOT going to result in an improved performance.

It is really rubbing me the wrong way. I am beginning to feel like if we (her supposed fans) are harassing her to this degree, then maybe we DESERVE a bad performance.

We should be more supportive of our own. Leave the poor girl alone. If she scores 5 goals in Barcelona they will still complain....and say it is because she didn't score 8 that she will miss for the Falcons.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Why do Nigerians think the solution to Oshoala is to harass her?

Post by Cellular »

Tbite wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:45 pm Have you guys seen the Nigerians on social media. They are harassing her and only pointing out negatives EVEN when there are MORE positives on display.

Look no matter what reservations you have about her contributions in the Falcons, harassing the lady is NOT going to result in an improved performance.

It is really rubbing me the wrong way. I am beginning to feel like if we (her supposed fans) are harassing her to this degree, then maybe we DESERVE a bad performance.

We should be more supportive of our own. Leave the poor girl alone. If she scores 5 goals in Barcelona they will still complain....and say it is because she didn't score 8 that she will miss for the Falcons.
"Harassing her"?

Like we didn't harass JayJay or Kanu (who was mediocre for Naija post the Olympics). Darn, Argentines criticized the great Messi for being legendary for club but not for country until he won the World Cup.

What you inadvertently did here is called double standards... downright patronizing. Some might call it chauvinistic.

Asisat is a star player for club. She needs to do the same for country.

And as a *STAR PLAYER*, she will get her fair share of criticism... unless you believe we should not criticize female footballers.

I guess they should be beyond reproach?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

No you are reading this wrong.

I am not saying she shouldn't be criticized...and in the days of Okocha and Kanu, social media didn't really exist.

What I am talking about are Nigerians that go about insulting her good performances in Barcelona as a way to get back at her. That is not criticism that is just moronic.

Argentinians did not insult Messi's Barcelona performances in those dark days. It is one thing to be unhappy with her Falcon performance, it is another thing to start spamming her achievements and even trying to downplay them. She has scored like three hattricks (or is it two) now in the span of a week or so (give or take)....and we have Nigerians flooding those pages and saying the performances are bad.

That is moronic. I wouldn't condone such spam from non Nigerians, let alone Nigerians. It is NOT criticism. Nobody would try to downplay what Kanu or Okocha did (in those days) in their respective clubs as some sort of sick way of trying to justify their position about the SE. We DID NOT do that.

What people said in those days was, "I wish the performances could be transferred". That is not what Nigerians are doing now. They are actually trying to cut her down to size, which we never did with Okocha and Kanu. So yes, I use the word harassment and I am very sure that is what it is.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

These are not people who wish her well (in terms of improved performances etc.) but entitled a holes who deserve nothing.

If you have to twist the facts because you are unhappy with the player then you are not really a fan. They are now saying she is not a good player overall in the middle of stellar performances....and what I am saying is their comments are made DIRECTLY at those stellar performances. These are not friends but foe. We don't need fans like that.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

THIS Cellular is what I am referring to.
https://www.givemesport.com/88112414-ba ... -in-liga-f

Many Nigerians have been criticising her performance in Barcelona (and not very constructively) saying more negatives than positives when she is BREAKING records...their comments are NOT related directly to her Falcon performances. They are specifically saying the record breaking performance for Barcelona was poor. We can criticize players but this is a step too far for me, sorry. I won't condone it...and yes I have been calling these people out and many have taken to it positively.

And let me also add that no I am definitely not chauvinsitic lol. I have consistently warned Nigerians to stop downplaying player's statistics because they don't like a player. If you don't like someone fine, but don't play around with stats. Like how Nigerians act like Yakubu was just a sunday sunday player. To date no Nigerian has achieved what he did in England hmmm...and how many so called aspiring footballers have we had that wanted to play in England lol. The sunday sunday player is lord over all of them. If poaching is easy then go and do it lol.

We have to be honest when we criticize players. You can say that their performances in the NT were not as good as they could have been, but it is a step too far to start acting like record breakers (who nobody else comes close to) are somehow sunday sunday players, that is a step too far. And so yes I defend the statistics of ALL Nigerians, living and dead. Male, women, dog, goat, spirit. We are often very illogical when we criticize players.

Criticize players but do so with the facts, don't play around with stats, they are sacred. They are saying her goals are meaningless because she misses a lot, some strikers are built around chance creation like Osimhen.

I don't toy with stats o'boy. Musa a player that I never really liked in the SE is our record scorer in the World Cup, what he accomplished on the big stage was phenomenal, despite my specific criticism of his performances, I will never take away from what he achieved and I also believe that he could have achieved MORE. That is constructive criticism, not some revisionism that some fake fans practise.

A step too far my friend, a step too far. This post was originally shorter but I edited it to include more context to hammer the point.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Tbite wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:27 pm THIS Cellular is what I am referring to.

Many Nigerians have been criticising her performance in Barcelona (and not very constructively) saying more negatives than positives when she is BREAKING records...their comments are NOT related directly to her Falcon performances. They are specifically saying the record breaking performance for Barcelona was poor. We can criticize players but this is a step too far for me, sorry. I won't condone it...and yes I have been calling these people out and many have taken to it positively.

And let me also add that no I am definitely not chauvinsitic lol. I have consistently warned Nigerians to stop downplaying player's statistics because they don't like a player. If you don't like someone fine, but don't play around with stats. Like how Nigerians act like Yakubu was just a sunday sunday player. To date no Nigerian has achieved what he did in England hmmm...and how many so called aspiring footballers have we had that wanted to play in England lol. The sunday sunday player is lord over all of them. If poaching is easy then go and do it lol.

We have to be honest when we criticize players. You can say that their performances in the NT were not as good as they could have been, but it is a step too far to start acting like record breakers (who nobody else comes close to) are somehow sunday sunday players, that is a step too far. And so yes I defend the statistics of ALL Nigerians, living and dead. Male, women, dog, goat, spirit. We are often very illogical when we criticize players.

Criticize players but do so with the facts, don't play around with stats, they are sacred. They are saying her goals are meaningless because she misses a lot, some strikers are built around chance creation like Osimhen.

I don't toy with stats o'boy. Musa a player that I never really liked in the SE is our record scorer in the World Cup, what he accomplished on the big stage was phenomenal, despite my specific criticism of his performances, I will never take away from what he achieved and I also believe that he could have achieved MORE. That is constructive criticism, not some revisionism that some fake fans practise.

A step too far my friend, a step too far. This post was originally shorter but I edited it to include more context to hammer the point.
Have thought of the fact the European perform stats can no longer accurately be used to reflect players skills when it comes to playing against African Teams. Oshoala is a hero in Europe not necessarily for her stills but for her imposing physical presence & speed against her less physical, less imposing & slower European opponents which often position her to slot goals, something she can easily do in Africa any longer.
The Women game in Africa has since caught up both skill wise and and the natural physicality which most African women players boast. Hence while oshoala is able to bully her European opponents with speed and agility she finds it more ever difficult to replicate same against African opponents. That why she has done nothing lately and probably would do nothing anymore for Falcons against African opponents. So forget all that European based stats because they are not replicate-able in the African scene. You saw how the south African girls out ran & outpaced her and essentially got her out of the game. And there is something fundamentally wrong using European stats to award trophies in the women Afcon as we saw in morocco.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:34 pm

Have thought of the fact the European perform stats can no longer accurately be used to reflect players skills when it comes to playing against African Teams. Oshoala is a hero in Europe not necessarily for her stills but for her imposing physical presence & speed against her less physical, less imposing & slower European opponents which often position her to slot goals, something she can easily do in Africa any longer.
The Women game in Africa has since caught up both skill wise and and the natural physicality which most African women players boast. Hence while oshoala is able to bully her European opponents with speed and agility she finds it more ever difficult to replicate same against African opponents. That why she has done nothing lately and probably would do nothing anymore for Falcons against African opponents. So forget all that European based stats because they are not replicate-able in the African scene. You saw how the south African girls out ran & outpaced her and essentially got her out of the game. And there is something fundamentally wrong using European stats to award trophies in the women Afcon as we saw in morocco.
I think you might have a point.
But I think she still needs to go up again against African opponents.
If she underwhelms yet again, the inquest will really start.

Meanwhile, are there no black or African defenders in the Spanish Liga F?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

That is also not what I am saying Jette1.

I am saying they are downplaying her European achievements because they don't like her performances in the Falcons.

So it does not matter if the two are related or unrelated. She scored three hattricks in 4 games and a significant number of the responses from Nigerians have been negative, and many of those comments were SPECIFICALLY talking about Barcelona, NOT Nigeria. I guess this is the confusion.

They are saying three hattricks in four games is bad. Once again, I am not talking about the Falcons...and neither are they.

If you take it that far, to try to discredit three hattricks in four games, at that point you are not a football fan but some sort of sick entitled a hole.

As far as the connection between the two, oh I can speak on that too, but I don't need to, because the point is they are discrediting her European performance largely in isolation. People also discredited Yakubu's European performances, to this day nobody can touch his accomplishments. One of the problems with football fans or sports fans in general is they often don't even understand what they are watching. If someone makes something look easy, they then assume it is easy.

Criticize all you want, but criticize fairly. Remember Cellular what I posted about Mbappe. I said how can someone score a hattrick AND a penalty in the shootout and be laughed at like he was some sort of Court Jester? That is when football fans have lost their heads. And that is what I am saying here. Nigerian fans (Some of them) are becoming so incensed by Oshoala that they are losing their heads.

I don't believe in the days of Okocha and Kanu we lost our heads. We were displeased, but we never tried to argue a foolish point. Nobody would say that Kanu's hattrick against Chelsea had to be easy because he couldn't score one for Nigeria. That is the sort of nonsense Nigerians are saying now. To be clear we do not have any such people on Eagles Nest. This is not directed at anybody on this forum. Nobody in this forum would be so foolish.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

They highlighted above is total & utter BS! The Women's game in Africa has not caught up with the top European sides in a facet. In recent times, only Nigeria & Cameroon have actually competed against them. The rest - South Africa, Zambia, Morocco, etc, have simply been blown away by these teams.
What you guys fail to realise is that since Oshoala joined Barcelona her game has changed dramatically. For Nigeria, she was played wide of the attack but with Barca she's a number 9. Hardly get's involved in the build up but hangs off the shoulder of the last defender and around the opponent's box. Barca has a highly creative midfield that always thread the balls through or cross from the sides with regular frequency. We don't have such with the Super Falcon. Also in the last 3 years she hasn't played more than 4 games for Nigeria due to injury. At the last WAFCON she got injured within the first 10 mins of the first game that affected her for the rest of the game, an injury that eventually ruled her out for 3 months. So to say she's done nothing recently is actually due to injury not African defenders. Even with an injury it took a brilliant save from the South African goalie to stop her from scoring early in the 2nd half. If she finished the tournament she would have been top scores as there's no way she wouldn't have scored a couple each against Burundi & Botswana. This African women's teams are very difficult is a fallacy.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Adisboy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 pm

They highlighted above is total & utter BS! The Women's game in Africa has not caught up with the top European sides in a facet. In recent times, only Nigeria & Cameroon have actually competed against them. The rest - South Africa, Zambia, Morocco, etc, have simply been blown away by these teams.
What you guys fail to realise is that since Oshoala joined Barcelona her game has changed dramatically. For Nigeria, she was played wide of the attack but with Barca she's a number 9. Hardly get's involved in the build up but hangs off the shoulder of the last defender and around the opponent's box. Barca has a highly creative midfield that always thread the balls through or cross from the sides with regular frequency. We don't have such with the Super Falcon. Also in the last 3 years she hasn't played more than 4 games for Nigeria due to injury. At the last WAFCON she got injured within the first 10 mins of the first game that affected her for the rest of the game, an injury that eventually ruled her out for 3 months. So to say she's done nothing recently is actually due to injury not African defenders. Even with an injury it took a brilliant save from the South African goalie to stop her from scoring early in the 2nd half. If she finished the tournament she would have been top scores as there's no way she wouldn't have scored a couple each against Burundi & Botswana. This African women's teams are very difficult is a fallacy.
Put down the bottle you already downed it: have you heard the names Ayinde, uncheibe, Ajibade or okobi? ok continue !!
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

A couple of months ago in this forum, I raised a question about Asisat Oshoala. While I have not followed what is being said about her on social media and do not support her or anyone being harassed, the truth is that she has underwhelmed in national colours.

To me, she is a club legend, period. If she is more than that, I have not seen it.
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Polly wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:15 pm A couple of months ago in this forum, I raised a question about Asisat Oshoala. While I have not followed what is being said about her on social media and do not support her or anyone being harassed, the truth is that she has underwhelmed in national colours.

To me, she is a club legend, period. If she is more than that, I have not seen it.
How many games has she played for Nigeria since 2019? When you check this, I'm sure this would answer your question. Prior to that she's won 3 WAFCONs, MVP in 2014, top scorer in 2016. Only the 2nd Nigerian to scorer in consecutive WWCs, so you can't say "club legend".
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

jette1 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:30 am
Adisboy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:33 pm

Put down the bottle you already downed it: have you heard the names Ayinde, uncheibe, Ajibade or okobi? ok continue !!
These ones you mentioned above are not at the Barca level. I suggest you take sometime & watch Barcelona Feminino then come back here & talk.