Africa U-20 Cup of Nations

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Africa U-20 Cup of Nations

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Dates: 19 February - 11 March 2023
Participating teams: 12
Tickets to Indonesia 2023: 4

Group A: Egypt (H), Mozambique, Senegal, Nigeria
Group B: Uganda, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Congo
Group C: Tunisia, Gambia, Benin, Zambia

How it works: 12 teams will look to win the Africa U-20 Cup of Nations, with the top two teams from each group qualifying for the quarter-final stage, as well as the top two third-placed teams,the four teams who reach the semi-final stage will automatically qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup, before playing out the final two rounds of fixtures.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Africa U-20 Cup of Nations

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:19 pm
Dates: 19 February - 11 March 2023
Participating teams: 12
Tickets to Indonesia 2023: 4

Group A: Egypt (H), Mozambique, Senegal, Nigeria
Group B: Uganda, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Congo
Group C: Tunisia, Gambia, Benin, Zambia

How it works: 12 teams will look to win the Africa U-20 Cup of Nations, with the top two teams from each group qualifying for the quarter-final stage, as well as the top two third-placed teams,the four teams who reach the semi-final stage will automatically qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup, before playing out the final two rounds of fixtures.
just look at group B ..smh
SuperEagles

marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Ridiculously unbalanced groups.
Group 1 with Egypt, Nigeria and Senegal (Mozambique with zero chance?)
and
Group 2 with Uganda, Cen. Afr. Rep., South Sudan and Congo!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

marutimon wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:34 pm Ridiculously unbalanced groups.
Group 1 with Egypt, Nigeria and Senegal (Mozambique with zero chance?)
and
Group 2 with Uganda, Cen. Afr. Rep., South Sudan and Congo!
CAF is to blame with the pathetic regional qualifiers
SuperEagles

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Sometimes I feel like CAF intentionally set out to sabotage the top teams to allow the "minnows" shine, cause some of these grouping formats are just ridiculous.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:46 pm Sometimes I feel like CAF intentionally set out to sabotage the top teams to allow the "minnows" shine, cause some of these grouping formats are just ridiculous.

It's actually a blessing in disguise in this instance. So long as we qualify from the Group we will not meet any of the top teamsto qualify for WC.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Warm-up game yesterday.
Ended 2-1 apparently.
Still looking for match reports.
Flying Eagles go for all-out attack vs Congo by Score Nigeria Editor
February 12, 2023 5:49 pm

Coach Ladan Bosso has settled for an all-out offensive against Congo Brazzaville in an U20 AFCON warm-up tie today in Morocco going by his starting XI.

Bosso favours a 4-3-3 formation and has opted for only one defensive midfielder, Daniel Daga, instead of the two he started out with against Zambia in Abuja.

The other two midfielders are offensive-minded – Samson Lawal and Jonathan Nicholas.

Ibrahim Mohammed ‘Ibeji’ and Haliru Sarki are the wingers with Francis Ayuba starting at centre-forward ahead of Olamilekan Adams.

The back four has first-choice fullbacks Solomon Agbalaka and Augustine Njoku, while captain Daniel Bamaiyi will be partnered by Benjamin Frederick instead of Sweden-based Abel Ogwuche.

First-choice goalkeeper Nathaniel Nwosu starts from the bench after his mistakes against Zambia and Chijioke Anigboso therefore gets his chance to stake a claim from the No 1 jersey.

Flying Eagles Starting XI vs Congo (4-3-3) Chijioke Anigboso – Solomon Agbalaka, Augustine Njoku, Daniel Bamaiyi, Benjamin Frederick – Daniel Daga, Samson Lawal, Jonathan Nicholas – Ibrahim Mohammed ‘Ibeji’, Francis Ayuba, Haliru Sarki
https://scorenigeria.com.ng/flying-eagl ... -vs-congo/
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Confirmed.
U-20 AFCON: Flying Eagles beat Congo 2-1 in friendly
Published on February 12, 2023
By Mike Oyebola

Nigeria’s Flying Eagles rally back to beat Congo 2-1 in a friendly game in Casablanca, Morocco on Sunday night.

Ladan Bosso’s side dominated proceedings in the game but went behind on 21 minutes after Onianhue Salomon scored for the Congolese.

Substitute Emmanuel Uchegbu equalised for the Flying Eagles in the 66th minute with a brilliant solo effort.

Remo Stars midfielder, who was introduced after the break scored the winning goal for the Flying Eagles in the 74th minute after he was set up by Augustine Njoku.

The West Africans will take on Central African Republic in their final friendly ahead of the Africa U-20 Cup of Nations on Wednesday.

The team will depart Egypt for the U-20 AFCON on Friday
https://dailypost.ng/2023/02/12/u-20-af ... -friendly/
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Group B: Uganda, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Congo :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
delisyomie don
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie don »

Undertaker wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:24 pm Group B: Uganda, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Congo :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
soon this stupid caf will be doing a regional senior world cup qualifier, we have to protest against this stupid system and stop it before fifa starts reducing our slots from Africa, most west African countries like Ghana, etc are better than some of these qualifiers coming from zone region qualifiers.
thanks
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Undertaker wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:24 pm Group B: Uganda, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Congo :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
You can thank Amaju Pinnick and his selfish support for the current CAF leadership for this mess❗️

Cheers.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Bosso is a dinosaur. I have no interest in this team. They need a young, hungry, and dynamic coach in his 30s or early 40s to lead the junior teams.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:46 pm Sometimes I feel like CAF intentionally set out to sabotage the top teams to allow the "minnows" shine, cause some of these grouping formats are just ridiculous.

There's no seeding involved in youth tournaments.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

bushboy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:29 pm Bosso is a dinosaur. I have no interest in this team. They need a young, hungry, and dynamic coach in his 30s or early 40s to lead the junior teams.
is the coach playing; im asking for a friend named kongi
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Senegal vs. Nigeria: Match preview as Flying Eagles kick off U20 AFCON with clash against Young Lions
Imhons Erons
17 hours ago in AFCON,
https://soccernet.ng/2023/02/senegal-u2 ... lions.html

The two West African nations lock horns in far away Egypt as the race for the World Cup begins

The stage is set in Egypt for Nigeria and Senegal to play their opening match at the 2023 Africa U20 Cup of Nations, formerly called the African Youth Championships.

Placed in the same Group A as the hosts and minnows Mozambique, both Nigeria and Senegal will know a win could brighten their chances of reaching the knockout rounds of the tournament.
Only the four top-placed teams of the twelve in Egypt will qualify to represent Africa at this year’s FIFA Under-20 World Cup finals in Indonesia from May 20 to June 11.

Match Preview
Senegal arrived in Egypt intending to lift their first U20 Afcon tournament after finishing runners-up three times in 2015, 2017, and 2019.
The Senegalese have been very strong at this level in recent years.
A tough nut to crack, the Young Teranga Lions have not lost any of their last 40 official matches in regulation time. The last team to beat Senegal in open play was Mexico in a 1-0 win in 2017 at the FIFA U20 World Cup.
They are on a five-match winning run which includes a 2-1 victory over Tunisia in a friendly four days ago.

The team’s impressive record and pedigree make them a difficult opponent to face for anyone, any day.
But in the Flying Eagles, Senegal meet arguably the most nightmarish foe possible in African youth football history.
Nigeria are the most successful nation at the Africa U20 Cup of Nations with seven winners’ medals, two silver medals, and three bronze medals.

Only two times in 17 previous appearances at this tournament has Nigeria not made it past the group stage.
After failing to qualify for the last edition won by Ghana, the Flying Eagles appear to be in fine mettle yet again this time.
The Ladan Bosso-tutored side landed in Egypt as the WAFU B regional champions and concluded their preparations for the tourney with an encouraging 6-1 friendly win over Morocco’s Kawkab Athletics Club U23.

A fortnight ago, the Eagles defeated Zambia 4-2 in another warmup game.
They will take some stopping in Egypt.

Head-to-head
In three previous meetings between Nigeria and Senegal at this level, the Flying Eagles hold the bragging rights with two wins.
Both games Nigeria won were at the 2015 U20 Afcon hosted by Senegal.
The Eagles chopped the hosts 3-1 during the group stages and carved out a 1-0 win in the final over the same opponents to lift their seventh title.
But the Young Lions had a bit of their pound of flesh when they defeated Nigeria 2-1 in the first knockout round of the 2019 FIFA U20 World Cup.

What are they saying?
Senegal head coach Malick Daff:
“I don’t know anything about my opponents. I’m basing it on the work I’ve done. The most important thing is to establish our strengths, to be able to put them in place in each match, and win.

“We played a lot of friendly matches. Statistically, the team has scored 15 goals and conceded two goals. Our team scores goals and is defensively solid.

“That is to say that there is a balance in this team.”

Former Super Eagles defender Ifeanyi Udeze:
“Thank God they arrived safely. Bosso understands the task, which is to qualify.

“It won’t be easy for the Flying Eagles, and this is the first time that Bosso is sounding so confident, so I hope his team will deliver. This is also the first time I have confidence in Bosso’s team.”

Match details
Competition: 2023 Africa U20 Cup of Nations
Stage: Group stage
Match: Senegal U20 vs. Nigeria U20
Venue: Cairo International Stadium
Date: February 19, 2023
Kickoff time: 6 pm (Nigerian time)